Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is my battery dying? I get these intermittent drops / low battery notifications while playing and just found out the Deck actually graphs battery/charge usage so you can actually see what it’s doing.

I’m going to guess that it should uh not be doing that. Sometimes it’ll trip the out of battery shutdown sequence but for the most part it’s just an annoying pop up every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

jokes posted:

BG3 works great without internet.

I'd recommend anything turn-based: Civ games, any JRPG, Pathfinder:Kingmaker/WOTR, etc.

Yeah, BG3 is fantastic, no internet required whatsoever.

Just make sure you've got a power supply.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Snowrunner is an awesome game for a long trip, it's at-your-own-pace, easily pausable, low-intensity, methodical gameplay, looks good, runs well, I love it

MarcusSA posted:

Power wash simulator.

gently caress, yeah, this too

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 9, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Power wash simulator.

I don’t even own it yet but that’s the correct choice.

That or something like Star dew valley.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I didn't realize there are a thousand JSAUX docks for the Steam Deck. I'm going to get the cheapest one, I think.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I have a few USB C power docks, is there a way on the deck to see if it's enough power? I know I get the "slow charging" message with my docking station, but that's connected to a UPS with a few other things.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Medullah posted:

Gonna be stuck as a passenger for a 5 hour car ride next month. What's a good fun, easy game that I don't necessarily have to pay 100% attention to? I was debating getting Baldur's Gate but that might not really work well with a small screen, no internet, etc.

Every rogue like
Tiny Rogues
Slay the Spire

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I have a few USB C power docks, is there a way on the deck to see if it's enough power? I know I get the "slow charging" message with my docking station, but that's connected to a UPS with a few other things.

Yeah it will say the same thing if the power bank doesn’t give enough.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

BG3 devours the battery, about an hour and a half, so might not be good for a long trip.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Medullah posted:

Gonna be stuck as a passenger for a 5 hour car ride next month. What's a good fun, easy game that I don't necessarily have to pay 100% attention to? I was debating getting Baldur's Gate but that might not really work well with a small screen, no internet, etc.

Chrono Cross or Tactics Ogre or something.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

jokes posted:

I didn't realize there are a thousand JSAUX docks for the Steam Deck. I'm going to get the cheapest one, I think.

As someone who buys USB-C docks for work I recommend against buying the cheapest one.

Buy the Second Cheapest one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve been having trouble with the JSAUX dock I got and use with my laptop, it occasionally drops the HDMI signal and I think the USB-A stuff is a bit flaky too. Might have to return it, what a pain.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They had a firmware update for them, maybe check if that helps!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Decided to get an Ally for now. I underestimated how much a “suspend mode” makes a difference oops

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh yeah, never buy a handheld in 2023 that can't even get suspend/sleep mode right. They had that poo poo nailed in like 2005. :lol::lol:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Oh yeah, never buy a handheld in 2023 that can't even get suspend/sleep mode right. They had that poo poo nailed in like 2005. :lol::lol:

Well windows sure didn’t.

It’s better now but it still has issues.

But yeah that’s another gripe with the Ally. It is what it is though I just deal with it.

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

To be fair the steam deck still gives me occasional glitches with suspend mode, so I've gotten in the habit of full shutdown, and turning it on 30 seconds in advance of when I want to use it :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

Well windows sure didn’t.

It’s better now but it still has issues.

But yeah that’s another gripe with the Ally. It is what it is though I just deal with it.

This isn’t any huge issue for me— I never did the suspend stuff correctly I guess so I save and close out every time anyways~

Ally ain’t bad. Biggest issue is Windows which isn’t good or bad I guess. It runs Total War Warhammer 3 at 1080p surprisingly well, so I just run that while it’s docked and oh wow I really don’t need a desktop anymore. I guess I could upgrade with the XG mobile one day and then I really won’t need a desktop for video games ever! Fun!

It’s amazing that they invented the devices I’ve always wanted just as I enter the phase of my life when I have the least amount of time to play video games.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

jokes posted:

It’s amazing that they invented the devices I’ve always wanted just as I enter the phase of my life when I have the least amount of time to play video games.

Couldn’t agree more. Teenage me wouldn’t believe that I’d have multiple handhelds in various form factors that hold basically all of gaming history, but only get about 20 minutes a day to play them. Kids, man..

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Wait I thought Windows had hybernate that you can assign to the power button.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah good luck doing that with a game running and then having it wake up and not absolutely poo poo it’s pants.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And also even without anything else running Windows will sometimes just randomly decide to wake up because there's an update queued or just because gently caress you, that's why. Double gently caress you if it decides to do that in its case, you've got roast PC.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
That's a real weird niche the ally decided to fill then.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, I've got a potential RMA issue (or reason for an RMA) if it's even valid. I hope someone here can help.

In short, I think I'm starting to experience temporary burn-in. I have vibrantdeck, at the recommended setting (120? I'll have to check). I was playing the Mega Man legacy collection, and once I was done, I could still see where the energy bars were situated up on the top left, when I quit out and was in my Steam menu. I restarted, just in case it was some sort of bug.

Here's where it gets weird...

When I restarted, I couldn't see the energy bars during the Steam deck loading/splash screen (where there's the Steam logo but nothing else). Then, when I went back into the Steam menu, it was there... But now, about 10-15 minutes out of it, I can't seem to see the burn in anymore. :wtc:

Also, a week ago, I'm now remembering, there was also something in the bottom right, which I thought at the time might've been a small cluster of dead pixels (though now that I think of it, it was more like burn-in).... But that's gone, too.

What's going on? Anyone else experiencing this?

And if I DO have to send it in, would they even accept it for something like this? I've owned it since Oct 3 2022, am I out of warranty?

And would I have to remove the plugins and my copy of F-Zero GX from the system? I have zero experience with any of this, sorry.

gently caress, I don't want to have to send it in, but I also hope it's in warranty still

Edit: welp, my warranty was apparently up a year after it was shipped to me. Can I pay for repairs, then?

Iirc this is an electrical oddity and NOT real burn in. It can happen to any LCD. The first time I saw it was on my 3DS and it scared the poo poo out of me thinking the screen was bad, but ultimately it returned to normal after a while

I think your screen is probably OK

E: fb

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

beep-beep car is go posted:

As someone who buys USB-C docks for work I recommend against buying the cheapest one.

Buy the Second Cheapest one.

Buy the Dell WD10 or WD15

This is the way.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dell wd10 is great, use it all the time for my deck.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'm really impressed with the performance of the Deck with all these updates. Monster Hunter Rise used to crash after a training mission, but now it's humming along to the point that I'm happy to play a few hunts in handheld mode and then back to docked.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Annath posted:

I fixed it, mostly. The UI now fits on the screen. I had to re-run one of the patch files.

However, the mouse still doesn't line up 100%, although it is better, and the top of the screen isn't clickable.

By that I mean that the assorted menu buttons are at the top of the screen, but the mouse can't reach them. There is an invisible barrier preventing the mouse from moving above a certain line.

I think I'll just play KOTOR on the PC...

Iirc the wide screen mods target very specific resolutions because KOTOR's UI is all hardcoded. Run it in 1920x1080 and let gamescope downscale the game to the deck resolution. That makes it even more fiddly, but there's no way around it unless someone makes a specific UI mod for the Deck.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I don't have access to my Deck's stock charger and I won't likely be able to get it for some time; my Android charger got the battery up to like ~25% after 6 hours so I guess my question is, are there any good substitutes?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Any charger that works with laptops most likely works with the deck.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Switch charger works perfectly

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Alan_Shore posted:

Switch charger works perfectly

It does, but I don't think it supplies the same level of power. I seem to recall it not charging as fast, and losing power if charging while playing a more high-powered game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

And also even without anything else running Windows will sometimes just randomly decide to wake up because there's an update queued or just because gently caress you, that's why. Double gently caress you if it decides to do that in its case, you've got roast PC.

Love opening my backpack to find the ol' spicy laptop

Annath posted:

It does, but I don't think it supplies the same level of power. I seem to recall it not charging as fast, and losing power if charging while playing a more high-powered game.

The Deck only charges at 20W, anything extra is headroom when playing games while charging

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Deck only charges at 20W, anything extra is headroom when playing games while charging

Yeah, but if the charger doesn't supply that headroom, then the Deck will drain while charging if playing a more intense game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I never let my laptop just sleep/hibernate, I’ve opened my pack to find a hot laptop with fans blowing way too many times to trust Windows’ implementation of sleep/hibernate anymore.

Thankfully all my Windows devices power on in <10s, so

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

This absolutely happened with my GPD win max but luckily I was sitting next to it when I heard the fans ramp up to max so it didn’t cook itself in the case.

jokes posted:

I never let my laptop just sleep/hibernate, I’ve opened my pack to find a hot laptop with fans blowing way too many times to trust Windows’ implementation of sleep/hibernate anymore.

Sleep seems to work just fine on my desktop strange enough. It just never seems to work on any laptops.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've been playing RE4 remake (incredible on the Deck btw) and the Switch adapter keeps it fully charged at all times. I'm assuming that's a demanding game.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jokes posted:

Windows has also taken to doing this dumb thing in newer versions where when you press the shutdown button it goes to the shutdown screen but then ~10 seconds later if say you had anything with a Do You Want To Save Y/N popup box it'll back-out of that shtudown screen to ask you the thing.

I can't tell you how many times I've "shut down" my laptop for the day, put it in my bag, and come home to Very Warm Laptop.

Older versions of Windows didn't display the shutdown screen until after the user apps had closed (or failed to for reasons like the above).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This is why SteamOS is arguably the best part of the Deck: Windows loving sucks. It's also necessary to play certain games for some stupid reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jokes posted:

This is why SteamOS is arguably the best part of the Deck: Windows loving sucks.

:hai: