Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

and gently caress all seasons, get some good summer rubber and good winter rubber, don’t hobble that sexy machine with all seasons.

Thirding this, do not, under any circumstances put all seasons on this, either use a winter beater or get a set of snow tires+rims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I get the all seasons hate but I think it depends on where you live. I live in the PNW where it only snows maybe 1 week per year but rains all the time. Winter gets close to or below freezing on a number of days, but a lot of other days are in the 40s-50s. I switch from summer tires to all seasons once it starts to get cold.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Same. In Chicagoland, I hate the in-between parts of the seasons where it’ll be 70F one day and 35F the next day. I do have a set of snow tires for the winter months.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
That’s where im at. The stock rubber apparently gets white knuckle under 40 degrees but more often then not when I leave for work in the fall and winter before it snows it will be that cold, but then it will warm up to 40+.

But actual ‘no poo poo it’s snowing’ might only be a few days out of a few weeks during the heart of the winter.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 7, 2023

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Unpopular opinion, but unless you’re really pushing it, I doubt you’d tell much difference in an ultra high performance all season (michelin ps4/bfg comp force) compared to a summer. You’ll also have better performance in wet and cold bumper seasons, if that’s a thing in your neck of the woods.

You’ll still want a set of winter tires if winter happens around you, though.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Love my Pilot Sport A/S 4s.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Full Collapse posted:

Love my Pilot Sport A/S 4s.

Sames

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Probably going to put those on my car because they have better dry and wet traction than the lovely Pirellis that came on it and it does get down to freezing/below here and I'd like to be able to drive sometimes. The Pirellis are only rated down to something stupid like 54 F. It's never going to see snow so whatever.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Just picked this up yesterday. I'll be posting a project thread once in get things going, but what I know is it's a 1966 Satellite with a 440 stroked to 512 putting out 696hp/630ft-lbs and a "racing transmission". Right now I'd like to turn it into something for the street but it needs a lot before I feel comfortable trying to start it or anything. When the PO died, he was in the process of tracking down an oil leak, the driveshaft isn't installed, it doesn't have spark plugs, and one of the valve covers is missing some hardware.

This is my first car from before 1985, first carbureted engine, first true project. There's a lot I don't know about the car but I have a couple hundred pages of documentation and receipts to go through to try to figure poo poo out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

two_beer_bishes posted:

Just picked this up yesterday. I'll be posting a project thread once in get things going, but what I know is it's a 1966 Satellite with a 440 stroked to 512 putting out 696hp/630ft-lbs and a "racing transmission". Right now I'd like to turn it into something for the street but it needs a lot before I feel comfortable trying to start it or anything. When the PO died, he was in the process of tracking down an oil leak, the driveshaft isn't installed, it doesn't have spark plugs, and one of the valve covers is missing some hardware.

This is my first car from before 1985, first carbureted engine, first true project. There's a lot I don't know about the car but I have a couple hundred pages of documentation and receipts to go through to try to figure poo poo out.

That is one hell of a loving project. Start a thread.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Said I wasn't going to buy anything else for the car well until these came up on ebay. NOS Advan RGII with a production date of 2008, wanted to get AD09's but the only size that would've worked was 245/40/18 which is a bit too much for a standard car. So ended up going with Michelin Cup2's instead in 225/40/18, the standard wheels still had the factory primacy tyres on. Although they had plenty of tread they were from 2018 so they were pretty crappy feeling, I'm still amazed how much difference good tyres makes to a car.

These are going to be my track wheels for a bit until I find another set of probably slightly less nice wheels hopefully.

Edit: The most nervewracking thing was seeing if the tyre place was able to swap the TPMS valves from the std wheels to the advans, luckily they were able to do it as having the tpms light on at MOT time means it would fail. Also it's just super annoying to have warning lights lit up on the dash. I didn't want to have to go out and buy a TPMS coding tool and sensors to do it myself either. For my second set of wheels I'll most likely be buying a device that plugs into the canbus network on the car that will let me disable the tpms light when needed and I can just turn it on when using the wheels with the sensors.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 11, 2023

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

two_beer_bishes posted:

alright here we loving go!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

track day bro! posted:

Said I wasn't going to buy anything else for the car well until these came up on ebay. NOS Advan RGII with a production date of 2008, wanted to get AD09's but the only size that would've worked was 245/40/18 which is a bit too much for a standard car. So ended up going with Michelin Cup2's instead in 225/40/18, the standard wheels still had the factory primacy tyres on. Although they had plenty of tread they were from 2018 so they were pretty crappy feeling, I'm still amazed how much difference good tyres makes to a car.

These are going to be my track wheels for a bit until I find another set of probably slightly less nice wheels hopefully.

You must have infinity grip now. I cannot imagine a car that lightweight and that power with tires like that.

It was CruiserFest this weekend at the Land Cruiser Heritage museum.

Not my own ride, but maybe one day

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

two_beer_bishes posted:

meatpimp posted:

That is one hell of a loving project. Start a thread.

and get some oil in the cylinders and install spark plugs like now.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I'm a dumb loving bastard with brainworms for 80s cars and almost zero mechanical experience. So I decided to give up a perfectly sorted '87 951 for something worse.

+ Looks good in photos.
+ M30B35 / manual
+ Survived Trail of the Dragon on the way back home.
+ Cardinal red interior. I love the interior design in general.
+ AC works
+ Recent clutch and brake work.
+ Lower control arms, tie rod ends, anti-sway bar replaced.
+ New tires
+ Interior switches/electronics/lights all work.
+ Same dusty crayon smell that apparently all these 80s German cars have.
+ Fat fuckin folder of service records going back to original purchase.
+ Overall I really like it. Has some of the characteristics I liked in the 944 but in an overall larger/comfier/more aggressive package.

+/- Front seats are black cloth Recaros, apparently period correct, works with stock electronic adjustment switches, but I still want matching red leather sport seats.
+/- Cardinal red is worn and faded. Plan to sand and re-dye. Black vinyl/plastics in good shape except for cracks in dash.

- Looks like poo poo in person. Pretty bad rust on wheel wells, especially rears.
- I think there's an exhaust leak somewhere up front. Can smell it with windows down. Mixes terribly with the Black Ice Little Trees the previous owner had stuffed away.
- Bucks/surges at light throttle around 2k RPM, like for maintaining speed. Throttle positioning sensor maybe?
- AC (R134a conversion) is pitiful and died randomly on the way home. Got it started again by running over a particularly bad pothole.
- Oil gauge light randomly flickers.
- The yellow headlights randomly flicker, so the PO disconnected them. I'm hoping this is just a relay issue.
- Odometer doesn't work, unsurprisingly.
- Lower bumper attached by zipties in matching BMW blue!
- Some of the items in the fat fuckin folder of service records are still problems today (the exhaust smell in the cabin being one).

I'd like to make this into a reliable car for fun and errands but uhhhhh.

Also, bonus 88 XJSC I decided was gonna be my first project car. Did I tell you about the brainworms?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I think the brainworms spilled into the engine bay of that jag.
10/10 sick buy though, that era of bmw rules, i briefly had a 1978 733i in high school, incredible quality but it was too much of a headache for a teenager. Id love to get something similar again.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The 6er having percussion related electrical restoration sounds like the euro fuses and relays being, well, old. I cleaned the fuse box on my 79 Fiesta and replaced any intermittent relays and it all started working..

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mung Dynasty posted:

I'm a dumb loving bastard with brainworms for 80s cars and almost zero mechanical experience. So I decided to give up a perfectly sorted '87 951 for something worse.

Man. Imagine if cars just looked nice again. I'm so tired of everything being mega angry with a billion lines everywhere.
What a sweet pickup (and I don't mean either of the pickups in the background)

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

The 6er having percussion related electrical restoration sounds like the euro fuses and relays being, well, old. I cleaned the fuse box on my 79 Fiesta and replaced any intermittent relays and it all started working..

So much of the 944 was apparently entirely reliant on fuses and relays as well, so good call. Doing some shopping tonight.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mung Dynasty posted:

Very nice. I often flirt with the notion of getting rid of my G31 and replacing it with one of these.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Voltage posted:

I think the brainworms spilled into the engine bay of that jag.
10/10 sick buy though, that era of bmw rules, i briefly had a 1978 733i in high school, incredible quality but it was too much of a headache for a teenager. Id love to get something similar again.

I had a '78 530i in my late teens, early 20s that I loved dearly. My dad eventually stole it from me, but until then that car was fun as hell.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

drat, put that dad in prison

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

track day bro! posted:

[timg-]https://i.imgur.com/Zxi63KV.jpg[/timg]

Edit: The most nervewracking thing was seeing if the tyre place was able to swap the TPMS valves from the std wheels to the advans, luckily they were able to do it as having the tpms light on at MOT time means it would fail. Also it's just super annoying to have warning lights lit up on the dash. I didn't want to have to go out and buy a TPMS coding tool and sensors to do it myself either. For my second set of wheels I'll most likely be buying a device that plugs into the canbus network on the car that will let me disable the tpms light when needed and I can just turn it on when using the wheels with the sensors.

Hell yeah!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I went for a drive this weekend.

Central Oregon is beautiful; doubly so on a 650 mile TSD rally around some of the best back roads in the area.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Safety Dance posted:

I went for a drive this weekend.

Central Oregon is beautiful; doubly so on a 650 mile TSD rally around some of the best back roads in the area.

:2monocle:

:perfect:

All of those shots are absolutely incredible and I am insanely jealous.

When's my next local TSD?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

McTinkerson posted:

All of those shots are absolutely incredible and I am insanely jealous.

When's my next local TSD?

Thanks! We got lucky: a freelance motorsports photojournalist joined us. He was offering photo packages for a pretty reasonable price, so I bought one and I'm really pleased with the results.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
That’s really loving cool

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hell yeah, great shots and that looks like an awesome weekend

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That first and third shot are especially cool, looks awesome indeed

The snazwagon is looking less awesome after a low speed collision last week. Supposedly both insurance companies already agreed to a 50-50 settlement but I haven't been contacted by the other driver's insurance... And my insurer couldn't find the other driver's information when I called the other day?

Cool if I do get a whole new bumper, it was a bit hosed up from 2 other incidents. But now I need to find someone who will wrap just the bumper lol.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 21, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Those rally shots look amazing. Good job.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
New tire day ceremony:
https://youtu.be/XbqnRPEGbYo?si=QsRwKVch3Qk3oZ-f

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Proper.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

From this angle the car is :getin: personified. Really looks feisty. And great.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I took a ride too

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
took the pig for another spirited drive and it looked nice

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Sharp.

Living in Pennsylvania has spoiled me though, no front plate, and no holes for it either.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

pididdle

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Sharp.

Living in Pennsylvania has spoiled me though, no front plate, and no holes for it either.
Unless the car was originally at a dealership in another state, then you gotta pony up for the bumper plugs anyway. :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Alarbus posted:

Sharp.

I haven't bothered with one in NY, cops didn't even mention it the two or three interactions I've had getting ticketed / in an accident :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

Unless the car was originally at a dealership in another state, then you gotta pony up for the bumper plugs anyway. :(

I’ve never had a dealer drill the front bracket in when I’ve asked them not to.