Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

Propaganda works by giving people ideas and then repeating them so often and in so many forms and venues that people internalize them, not by playing on their ideological values or commitments in some kind of rationalized "you believe x, therefore you should be believe y" way. It's literally the same thing as convincing people that smoking is cool by bombarding them with images of cool people smoking and the seminal works of modern propaganda and public relations draw that connection explicitly. People have been and are still being bombarded with a mass media campaign that covid is mild (for people like them who matter), that the losses are acceptable (because they're already sick and weak and implicitly better off dead), and that respirators are weird and/or don't work and they internalize that. That's it, that's the entire story. There is no moral calculus occurring there, just budgetary calculus about how big the campaign needs to be to manufacture the consent required.

You think you're talking to people who have some commitment to the idea of justice and solidarity as a free-standing principle but 99 times out 100, you're talking to someone who has adopted an aesthetic because it was marketed to them. That's why "progressivism" is a popular self-described ideology even though it means absolutely nothing. That's why the DSA is able to recruit people despite being an utter loving joke that climbers like AOC use as toilet paper. Aesthetics don't ask anything at all of their adherents.

So of course they don't give a poo poo, they never did. You might as well be trying to use someone's hot topic shirt as a "lever" over their behavior, it's got exactly the same level of bearing on what they do and don't do as a self-applied "progressive" or "leftist" label.

Good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

My pet theory that open-er-up was at least partially driven by an absolute need by addicts to get back into spaces where alcohol abuse is normalized gets another data point in favor

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/bay-area-restaurants-throwing-up-brunch-18411628.php

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I mean, you can just drink at home

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I mean, you can just drink at home

Getting blackout drunk by yourself at home is abuse, doing it at a trendy restaurant over eggs benedict is living your life

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Oldest Man posted:

Getting blackout drunk by yourself at home is abuse, doing it at a trendy restaurant over eggs benedict is living your life

This is legitimately the story people sell for why its fine to get loving black out drunk - its fine if its for social reasons!!!

Coming from a family of alcoholics with 2 dead parents and 2 siblings who are working on their sobriety - I get so loving mad at the wine mom propaganda, all the its fine to get lit at brunch, drink at work, etc poo poo.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My local supermarket has cut hours again. It used to be open 24/7 then a few years ago it started closing at midnight, then because of the pandemic it started closing at 11pm, then tonight when I dashed over there to buy a loaf of bread for my morning toast I found out too late that they now close at 10pm.
I tried the local 7-11 and the 24hr gas station which has a store attached but it turns out they don't sell loaves of bread any more, even though they definitely used to.
Nobody wants to bake anymore

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zugzwang posted:

Nobody wants to bake anymore

then why am i baking rn :2bong:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

silicone thrills posted:

This is legitimately the story people sell for why its fine to get loving black out drunk - its fine if its for social reasons!!!

Coming from a family of alcoholics with 2 dead parents and 2 siblings who are working on their sobriety - I get so loving mad at the wine mom propaganda, all the its fine to get lit at brunch, drink at work, etc poo poo.

tbf work sucks rear end

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

tbf work sucks rear end

work pushed me very close to actually becoming an alcoholic and honestly covid probably saved me from that because I had a moment to step back and think about how often I was drinking with coworkers at lunch and afterwork etc just in order for my autistic rear end to fit in.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Propaganda works by giving people ideas and then repeating them so often and in so many forms and venues that people internalize them, not by playing on their ideological values or commitments in some kind of rationalized "you believe x, therefore you should be believe y" way. It's literally the same thing as convincing people that smoking is cool by bombarding them with images of cool people smoking and the seminal works of modern propaganda and public relations draw that connection explicitly. People have been and are still being bombarded with a mass media campaign that covid is mild (for people like them who matter), that the losses are acceptable (because they're already sick and weak and implicitly better off dead), and that respirators are weird and/or don't work and they internalize that. That's it, that's the entire story. There is no moral calculus occurring there, just budgetary calculus about how big the campaign needs to be to manufacture the consent required.

You think you're talking to people who have some commitment to the idea of justice and solidarity as a free-standing principle but 99 times out 100, you're talking to someone who has adopted an aesthetic because it was marketed to them. That's why "progressivism" is a popular self-described ideology even though it means absolutely nothing. That's why the DSA is able to recruit people despite being an utter loving joke that climbers like AOC use as toilet paper. Aesthetics don't ask anything at all of their adherents.

So of course they don't give a poo poo, they never did. You might as well be trying to use someone's hot topic shirt as a "lever" over their behavior, it's got exactly the same level of bearing on what they do and don't do as a self-applied "progressive" or "leftist" label.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I said it in the previous thread but I'll reiterate here, maybe the most actually frustrating part of this pandemic hasn't been the predictable minimization from libs or denial from chuds, but seeing so many supposed leftist/progressive/communist/what-have-you folks rankle at the idea of mask-wearing to protect vulnerable people or even themselves. It's such an incredibly low bar for any kind of supposedly humanist philosophy and a huge proportion of people beefed it.

The Oldest Man posted:

Your mistake was believing most of the people around you hold any kind of ideology or philosophy at all.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Is there a good piece out there detailing what a shill / propagandist David Leonhardt is? I swear there was one. My MIL just sent my wife his latest Hamas article and it's like oh yeah, that's where she's getting her COVID takes from.

Only thing I off hand remember is this post:

fosborb posted:

so I pulled up the Economist data behind the excess deaths model Leonhardt is using
https://github.com/TheEconomist/covid-19-excess-deaths-tracker/blob/master/output-data/excess-deaths/

The csv's most recent data is back in May, and covid deaths haven't been added since the week of 3/13/2023

the entire article is based on a model that stopped mapping anything close to reality when the US decided covid was over lmao

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

silicone thrills posted:

work pushed me very close to actually becoming an alcoholic and honestly covid probably saved me from that because I had a moment to step back and think about how often I was drinking with coworkers at lunch and afterwork etc just in order for my autistic rear end to fit in.

I'm glad that my employer doesn't allow lunch drinking because I imagine my coworkers would be way worse if they were sauced up half the day.

it's also nice that the diaspora of their residences means nobody does after work drinking lest they get a DUI.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's also nice that the diaspora of their residences means nobody does after work drinking lest they get a DUI.

A senseless LOCKDOWN on society and the economy over something that kills fewer people all year than “respiratory pathogens” kill in the first three weeks of January.

We must balance the cost of drunk driving against the values of mental health and getting to work on time.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Is there a good piece out there detailing what a shill / propagandist David Leonhardt is? I swear there was one. My MIL just sent my wife his latest Hamas article and it's like oh yeah, that's where she's getting her COVID takes from.

I think this article is pretty good at calling out Leonhardt

https://newrepublic.com/article/165729/david-leonhardt-happy-review-new-york-times-morning-newsletter

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

The Oldest Man posted:

I have an acquaintance who thinks that I mask, don't eat in restaurants etc... because I was brainwashed by the media to think that Covid is bad. Like where do I even start with that lmao

I just ignore him whenever he goes on his unhinged rants at this point.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pingui posted:

Only thing I off hand remember is this post:

Awesome, thank you. She absolutely will not listen but I figure it's worth a shot.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

ColdBlooded posted:

I have an acquaintance who thinks that I mask, don't eat in restaurants etc... because I was brainwashed by the media to think that Covid is bad. Like where do I even start with that lmao

I just ignore him whenever he goes on his unhinged rants at this point.
Schwarzenegger is doing a bunch of interviews now because he has a book coming out. A pretty big chunk of comments on any related video are folks whining about when he told people to wear masks and get vaccinated.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Antibiotic use among hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in the United States, March 2020–June 2022"

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ofid/ofad503/7299420 posted:

Abstract
We conducted a retrospective study to describe antibiotic use among U.S. adults hospitalized with a COVID-19 diagnosis. Despite a decrease in overall antibiotic use, most patients hospitalized with COVID-19 received antibiotics on admission (88.1%) regardless of critical care status, highlighting that more efforts are needed to optimize antibiotic therapy.
:hmmrona:

News article on the matter:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ColdBlooded posted:

Oh, those disgusting “COVID is bad” news sites. I mean there’s so many of them, though. Which one? Which one brainwashed them?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Novavax has launched their own vaccine finder, no idea if it’s any better:

https://us.novavaxcovidvaccine.com/find-a-vaccine

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I don't have flu, covid or RSV, apparantly -- pile of RATs, plus some PCRs along the way by various family members (and me, at one point, though I think that was at least one sickness ago).

I have gotten tripled slammed though, I've had a fever > 99.5 for 14 out of the last 22 days with only a couple breaks tossed in, and am currently at about 101F on the fifth day since I started spiking from whatever the last virus to cruise through the house is.

I don't even know how abnormal this is because I've never had two small kids in public systems before, but lol it sucks and if I had an office job I think I would have gotten shitcanned by now. As is I've taken like 3 full sick days in 3 weeks and slept off a buncha afternoons, but I can get enough work done at the periphery to tread water. If I worked in an office, there's no way I'd subject anyone else to my sniffling dripping self even if I could drag myself there.

I'd say that's a sign it's not normal except I remember being in an office full of people and often multiple people would be hacking and sneezing and beg out of happy hours for low grade fevers. I got sick hella often in that environment, too, but with my kids I get it all if my body doesn't kill it, because if they feel lovely they want to be comforted and it's not realistic to me to try to do that and maintain hospital-grade protocols or even the modest protection that basic american social protocols give you.

A sick kid is like being around the obviously sick drunk guy at the bar who is just slobbering out stories 6" from the face of anyone who will listen, except they are louder, less annoying, and I feel a strong compulsion to stay close to them rather than running and wondering how I got there in the first place.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I have gotten tripled slammed though, I've had a fever > 99.5 for 14 out of the last 22 days with only a couple breaks tossed in, and am currently at about 101F on the fifth day since I started spiking from whatever the last virus to cruise through the house is.

jeez :(

hope your brain makes it through, goon

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
thread of mask discounts:

https://twitter.com/ifuekonadine/status/1710790723878936619?s=46

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
you can't view anything in the thread unless you have a twitter account.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

you can't view anything in the thread unless you have a twitter account.

Here it is without requiring a xitter account: https://nitter.net/IfuekoNadine/status/1710790723878936619

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Someone still trying to sell those Luciras with an Oct 22 expiration date! Stock up!

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

If anyone's near Des Moines, Iowa's state government has 52 pallets of Auras (366,080 masks total) they're trying to unload to the highest bidders.
A shame they wouldn't hand these out to residents instead of trying to make back a few bucks.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but it turns out that that is fine because other viruses also cause similar (?) post‐viral conditions at rates that are within two (?) orders of magnitude of SARS‑CoV‑2.

It’s the good severe acute respiratory syndrome, the one that you want to get.

have people really been saying this? insane.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
My in-laws just returned from an international trip and immediately came down with bad cold symptoms. They each took a RAT, which were negative. They went to the doctor who, without performing any tests, diagnosed it as "not Covid". They're in their 70s so I guess we'll see how they go.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I don't have flu, covid or RSV, apparantly -- pile of RATs, plus some PCRs along the way by various family members (and me, at one point, though I think that was at least one sickness ago).

If you die to a brain‐eating amœoba from squirting unsanitary water up your nose, something that I specifically warned you about, I will be very cross.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Phlag posted:

If anyone's near Des Moines, Iowa's state government has 52 pallets of Auras (366,080 masks total) they're trying to unload to the highest bidders.
A shame they wouldn't hand these out to residents instead of trying to make back a few bucks.

goon project, then?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Insanite posted:

goon project, then?

They're definitely gonna go cheap....

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

The Oldest Man posted:

My pet theory that open-er-up was at least partially driven by an absolute need by addicts to get back into spaces where alcohol abuse is normalized gets another data point in favor

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/bay-area-restaurants-throwing-up-brunch-18411628.php

There were a lot of very addict-y details that I think have gotten lost with time. Around here at least, there was a lot of "okay but it'll be fine because we'll be safe" type stuff, close every other table and wipe down all the surfaces constantly and have a little system to mark unwiped tables, close at 10, vaccine cards at the door, masks when you're not sitting, all that stuff.

From a certain and very common perspective, these are just failed public health strategies. From a different perspective, they sound a whole lot like somebody who has decided they can resume whatever behavior IN MODERATION by setting lots of little rules and guard rails that will never, ever be violated in a moment of weakness or just for convenience or fun. Now I'd say that the real addiction driving this at the higher level obviously wasn't booze, it's profit, but it's got a whole lot in common with the shaky reasoning you see between a period of doing pretty good and a period of not doing good at all.

And also for a lot of people it was probably a direct booze issue as well. It's sad to be a home drunk, but it's actually very normal and cool as long as somebody else is cleaning up after you

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023
the bid is for one of the the 52 pallets? so are they gonna make more listings or award the top 52 bidders? confusing.

Id definitely be really interested if they were 9210's

Dont live far too far from there, boyfriend has a truck.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

puncturewound78 posted:

the bid is for one of the the 52 pallets? so are they gonna make more listings or award the top 52 bidders? confusing.

Id definitely be really interested if they were 9210's

Dont live far too far from there, boyfriend has a truck.

Bid is per pallet, confusing part is it says "up to 52 pallets". I'm *guessing* after the auction you can say how many pallets you want to haul away at that price, and then it goes to the next guy.

Can always email the contact to ask though. tami.skadeland@iowa.gov .

I'd chip in for a case off the pallet if I didn't still have half a case. But poo poo, it would be funny to see a goon haul off a whole loving pallet or 2 of gubmint masks.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
fwiw I'd rather occasionally be naive and get disappointed; at an absolute bare minimum, full-blown nihilism does not work for me as a coping strategy

Baddog posted:

I'd chip in for a case off the pallet if I didn't still have half a case. But poo poo, it would be funny to see a goon haul off a whole loving pallet or 2 of gubmint masks.

new goon project just dropped, crazy prepper stash

just some dude's garage stuffed full of masks and pallets of canned beets

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023

This is pretty good and links to at least one more critical piece .

https://blog.petrieflom.law.harvard.edu/2023/07/24/running-cover-for-death-pandemic-minimizers-normalize-an-inhumane-baseline/

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Platystemon posted:

If you die to a brain‐eating amœoba from squirting unsanitary water up your nose, something that I specifically warned you about, I will be very cross.

if it makes you feel better I switched to disposable spray saline; still can't be assed to boil water first but your post haunted me. It's not the odds, it's not the stakes, it's the worry about being dunked on into the afterlife for such a stupid death.

I do seem to have substantial sinus pain, but also some chest pain that worries me b/c maybe I pulled a muscle yesterday, maybe it's pneumonia. I have a dr's appt at 11 tomorrow which is 8.5 hours from now.

My wife, who generally isn't very blackpilled on anything, posited yesterday "what if we do, in fact, have some weird COVID variant but all the tests are useless against it and so no one even knows it's COVID?" -- she thinks it's hosed up how long I/we have been sick and the degree to which the symptoms match COVID, though I have not noticed significant taste/smell issues and neither has anyone else.

I have not at all been following the efficiency of testing, though our own primary care doctor's attending expressed skepticism about any of the non-PCR tests, and, I can't remember who and if PCR tests happened this time around.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

jeez :(

hope your brain makes it through, goon

thanks yea, the days I have taken off work have been because I sit down to look at my monitor, and I realize I'm thinking "browser, IDE, VPN, outlook. browser, IDE, VPN, outlook" just helplessly looking around the monitor. Also as of 15 mins ago when I woke up my vision is blurry and it took longer than usual to write this as I kept misusing words, which is bad especially for someone prone to my long text-wall missives

plague world sucks

edit: yes these symptoms worry me substantially and I am taking this seriously but I have to weigh waiting vs a 30 minute drive (or ~80 min wait for an ambulance if i am lucky) vs waking my entire family up to drive me. If my blood oxygen tanks or I feel like I am going to pass out, I will call 911, otherwise, here I sit for a while

monitor, forums, cursor, cspam.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Oct 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
So, uh, what's the strat for finding a Novavax booster? Seattle area, if it matters.

I've got an appointment for Moderna on Saturday, but I'd love to snag Novavax instead if I could, since almost nobody else is getting it (meaning less adaptation to it, probably, in addition to the possibly broader protection). The Fed vaccine finder says nobody anywhere within 100 miles of me has any, though.