Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Cabbages and Kings posted:

if it makes you feel better I switched to disposable spray saline; still can't be assed to boil water first but your post haunted me. It's not the odds, it's not the stakes, it's the worry about being dunked on into the afterlife for such a stupid death.

I do seem to have substantial sinus pain, but also some chest pain that worries me b/c maybe I pulled a muscle yesterday, maybe it's pneumonia. I have a dr's appt at 11 tomorrow which is 8.5 hours from now.

My wife, who generally isn't very blackpilled on anything, posited yesterday "what if we do, in fact, have some weird COVID variant but all the tests are useless against it and so no one even knows it's COVID?" -- she thinks it's hosed up how long I/we have been sick and the degree to which the symptoms match COVID, though I have not noticed significant taste/smell issues and neither has anyone else.

I have not at all been following the efficiency of testing, though our own primary care doctor's attending expressed skepticism about any of the non-PCR tests, and, I can't remember who and if PCR tests happened this time around.

thanks yea, the days I have taken off work have been because I sit down to look at my monitor, and I realize I'm thinking "browser, IDE, VPN, outlook. browser, IDE, VPN, outlook" just helplessly looking around the monitor. Also as of 15 mins ago when I woke up my vision is blurry and it took longer than usual to write this as I kept misusing words, which is bad especially for someone prone to my long text-wall missives

plague world sucks

edit: yes these symptoms worry me substantially and I am taking this seriously but I have to weigh waiting vs a 30 minute drive (or ~80 min wait for an ambulance if i am lucky) vs waking my entire family up to drive me. If my blood oxygen tanks or I feel like I am going to pass out, I will call 911, otherwise, here I sit for a while

monitor, forums, cursor, cspam.

I have had covid twice, confirmed by PCR and RAT. I live with severe issues from long covid.

I never had any interruption in taste or smell.

Nearly everyone I know with long covid or in talking to about acute covid had no loss of taste or smell. I can think of 3 people that mentioned it compared to 50+ people who didn't experience it.

The amount we've fixated on that symptom as a verification tool has been extremely misleading to the general public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

puncturewound78 posted:

The amount we've fixated on that symptom as a verification tool has been extremely misleading to the general public.

Yeah I've had people say to me "Well I'm sick with something but I didn't lose my sense of smell so it's not covid" and I had to explain to them that covid is a lucky dip of symptoms. Most people get the typical symptoms, some people get really weird symptoms and some people don't get any symptoms at all

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023

I have not at all been following the efficiency of testing, though our own primary care doctor's attending expressed skepticism about any of the non-PCR tests, and, I can't remember who and if PCR tests happened this time around.

See a recent post from me for anecdotal data on PCR tests being negative, even when covid was confirmed via other means (repeated positive RATs in 2 cases, antibody test in another case). Based on my personal experience, it’s more important to keep testing every 24-48 hours hoping to catch Covid at peak level rather than relying on the timing of the (at most) one PCR test you are going to be able to get.

I also wonder if low n slow method is more likely to catch it than the rather perfunctory sample taken for PCR the last couple times I was tested.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
that's all good info. I've had negative RATS every 24-48 hrs every time I've been annoyingly feverish through this whole ordeal of sicknesses. I will need to pick up more at the doctor's tomorrow.

I am, however, either 101.9 or 102.9 depending which $50 zero-contact thermometer I trust. I kinda think maybe these things are garbage if you don't spend $500 for a medical grade one, but, they do tend to consistently be within a degree of each other which is good enough given I'm at the higher end of low-grade. They have also been fine for monitoring the kids, mostly, and the lower accuracy in that case is compensated for by the instant read. At my age I look at any mental down time like "1-3 mins of a thermometer in my mouth" as a chance to do a little breath meditation and try to chill but I only developed that reflex after other health poo poo sorta forced my hand, in terms of "develop better coping skills, or die".

Took some advil because I can't remember how long it's been since I took tylenol; after my doctor's appt I am going to put on an n99 and go get some strong-rear end weed tincture. Assuming I'm not dying or anything.

sorry for the stream of consciousness bullshit, I just feel like hollering into the void right now b/c this fuckin sucks

e: FWIW, the first time I was seen medically during this stream of bs, I managed to get a same-day appt with my primary who I like a lot. He told me that COVID was roughly a quarter of what they were seeing and there were some number of other viruses in the schools which seemed to break down into 3 basic buckets of like-symptoms. So, his suspicion was there are 3 other viruses at least in wide circulation rn, maybe I have "won" the lottery of managing to get the other 3 in serial, without getting COVID. Yet.

The first part of this knocked me the gently caress down, woke up running close to 104 and did so for 2-3 days. Tylenol at maximum bottle dose knocked it back to 101-102.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Oct 10, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I should go to sleep again, or try, but...

During part 2 of this ordeal I had a really bad cough, so I was taking mucinex and DXM and taking hot showers. Unsure how much mucinex and DXM actually do but I will say don't combine different DXM containing compounds unless you read the loving bottles very carefully and do math you should not do sick.

I was basically looting the medical cabinet for any cold medicine and it just didn't click with me that Delsym (DXM polistirex) is ~8 times as potent as Robo DM. Delsym is also substantially time release so by the time I realized how badly I'd hosed it up, vomiting probably wouldn't have accomplished much. However, being a redneck of sophistication, I did DXM as an intoxicant a few times in ~1999, so I compared what I'd actually taken, all told, to online dose charts, and convinced myself I was going to be a little spacey but probably otherwise fine. That turned out to be correct, but on top of the sickness I felt like a space cadet for a solid 18 hours.

It seemed like it suppressed the living gently caress out of my cough, too, but maybe I was just out of it: when I told this story to my primary ( :lol: ) his main comment besides the obvious was that he didn't think the evidence supporting DXM as being useful was very good compared to the evidence of it being a post-codeine cash grab.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:rubby: Florida is going to be the only state with public data.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2023/10/09/Gov-Desantis-COVID-19-data-lawsuit-settled/8251696884289/ posted:

In lawsuit settlement, DeSantis administration to disclose Florida's COVID-19 data again

After the settlement of a lawsuit filed in 2021, Florida will again release COVID-19 data.

The administration of Gov. Ron DeSantis has agreed to release COVID-19 related public records as part of a settlement stemming from a lawsuit regarding infection rates and other health data.

Carlos Guillermo Smith, a former state representative, sued the Florida Department of Health and Dr. Joseph Ladapo, the Florida surgeon general, in 2021 when they stopped sharing daily COVID-19 data on a public dashboard, as per DeSantis' orders.

Smith said in the lawsuit that Floridians, and more specifically families of school-age children, required up-to-date virus spread information to better understand how the disease was spreading and how it might affect the start of classes.

Although neither party admitted fault in the settlement, The Orlando Sentinel reports The Florida Department of Health will provide $152,250 to cover Smith's the legal fees and be required to publish comprehensive COVID-19 data on their website for the next 36 months.

That data reportedly will include weekly figures for cases and deaths by county, age group, gender and race.
(..)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I can’t take this Paxlovid taste for another 4 days

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

blue squares posted:

I can’t take this Paxlovid taste for another 4 days

Have you done the hard candy thing? - Jolly Ranchers are usually recommended itt for that purpose.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
New WHO guidelines for SARS-CoV-2, including things like masking etc. It is pretty long, so I won't be quoting things, besides noting that their masking guidelines are heavily marred by bullshit research. I will just exemplify by this one example:
"Infection prevention and control in the context of coronavirus disease (COVID-19): a living guideline"

https://iris.who.int/bitstream/handle/10665/373269/WHO-2019-nCoV-IPC-guideline-2023.3-eng.pdf posted:

(..)
3.2.6 PPE selection and use
(..)
Evidence to decision
Evidence comparing the effectiveness of respirators versus medical masks for SARS-CoV-2 in health-care settings is limited to five observational studies [73][74][75][76][77], and one randomized controlled trial [78]. The five observational studies were conducted prior to the emergence of the Delta, Omicron and other variants and before widespread vaccination in health-care settings. These five observational studies reported inconsistent findings regarding the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection between the use of respirators versus medical masks and had methodological limitations (for example, recall bias, low participation, and limited measurement of exposures). One study showed a reduction of risk with respirator use [75], while in two other studies the use of respirators was not significantly associated with risk reduction [74][77]. One study showed no association [77], and another found respirators were associated with increased risk (OR 7.1), likely related to confounding factors [74]. In the intention-to-treat analysis, the randomized control trial found that RT-PCR-confirmed COVID-19 occurred in 52 of 497 (10.46%) participants in the medical mask group versus 47 of 507 (9.27%) in the N95 respirator group (hazard ratio [HR], 1.14 [95% CI, 0.77 to 1.69]) [78]. Results were within the prespecified, non-inferiority threshold (HR <2.00), but do not rule out a protective effect of N95 respirators. Furthermore, the length of RCT transcends across various VoC (Delta and Omicron).

The following side effects have been reported with respirators: discomfort, headaches, possible development of facial skin lesions and irritant dermatitis or worsening acne when used frequently for long hours [26][27].

Medical masks are typically associated with fewer discomforts and side effects than respirators, given their reduced seal, although this has not been quantified. Undesirable outcomes from the prolonged use of respirators were noted, including general discomfort, headaches and the development of facial skin lesions, irritant dermatitis, and worsening acne [26][27]. The fitting process for respirators is burdensome, and issues with achieving it have been well described.

Certainty of the Evidence
The certainty of the evidence is low, primarily based on a single RCT with some imprecision and methodological limitations. The observational studies were inconsistent and had important methodological limitations. Most studies were conducted before the emergence of the Delta variant and few were conducted in the Omicron era; studies included other respiratory infections but were not specific to the outcome for SARS-CoV-2 transmission [26][27] and the certainty of the evidence for particulate respirators compared to medical masks was rated as low.

Given similar effects of respirators vs. medical masks when providing routine patient care, decisions about whether to use a respirator or medical mask could be sensitive to variability in preferences regarding perceptions of the potential increased prevention of SARS-CoV-2 infection with respirators versus increased discomfort or other harms.
(..)
78. Loeb M, Bartholomew A, Hashmi M, Tarhuni W, Hassany M, Youngster I, et al. : Medical Masks Versus N95 Respirators for Preventing COVID-19 Among Health Care Workers : A Randomized Trial. Annals of internal medicine 2022;175(12):1629-1638
(..)

Their primary evidence is a study I recall well - keeping in mind that this is the best piece of research they put in in favor of n95's - so allow me to quote myself on the main author (I remember Platystemon had some critique of the study itself, but can't find the post - I think it was centered around the HCW only donning n95's when entering certain rooms and taking them off outside those rooms):

Pingui posted:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M22-1966

People unironically going around posting this with a 'wrap it up respirailures', lmfao
Just wanted to check who the clowns making that study is and found this old 2020 interview with Mark Loeb discussing this piece of research. As well as his thinking at the time:

https://empendium.com/mcmtextbook/interviews/perspective/247542,covid-19-droplets-aerosols-and-masks posted:

COVID-19: Droplets, aerosols, and masks
2020-10-02
(..)
Roman Jaeschke: So Mark, if I can summarize what you’ve said so far. There are droplets, which essentially fall with gravity to whatever surface there is, and there are aerosols, which float in the air. The distinction is rather in physical qualities than in the size. It sounds like the size is arbitrary—I’m thinking about the P value at the moment, which is another arbitrary value that had 5 in it [P < .05]—it sounds like there is 5 microns here as well and from what you’re telling us it’s artificial. So there's probably a whole range and continuum rather than dichotomy. What are the clinical implications which were to come from this observation in terms of spread of COVID-19 and in terms of what to do to avoid contact with this virus?

Mark Loeb: I think if we focus firstly on the health-care setting, it’s unclear what—if any—the clinical implications are, in that we know that most of the evidence, particularly in health care, is that transmission is occurring in short ranges, within a few feet. So whether this is large droplets or respiratory aerosols that are being spread over small distances, it’s really unclear. But that means that our way of dealing with it, which we call droplet precautions, and using medical masks when there are no aerosol-generating procedures—at least this is what we’re doing in Canada—there’s no clear evidence that that is incorrect.

There’s a controversy about whether we should be wearing medical masks or N95 respirators. The fact is that N95 respirators have a much better filtering capacity and will filter 95% of very small particles, because they’re tested with 0.3-micron particles, whereas [with] surgical masks there’s a very variable filtration, but we don’t really know what the meaning of this is in the hospital setting. There’s clearly a divergence of opinion among some aerosol scientists, who feel everybody should be wearing an N95 respirator, versus clinical epidemiologists, infection control physicians, who feel that in a non–aerosol-generating procedure setting—that is in routine care—medical masks are adequate.

A lot of these, let’s say, beliefs are driven by a person’s prior conceptions and training, but also the type of evidence that people place the most weight on is driven by their own training. For example, clinical epidemiologists, like you and me, will place a lot more weight on randomized controlled trials (RCTs) versus the aerosol biologists, who will place more weight on experimental designs, often with particles that aren’t even infectious in the first place.

Roman Jaeschke: Let me play the devil’s advocate, and I will provide the first part of the answer to my question. Why not give everybody N95 respirators? That is the question and my first part of an answer is, working in the intensive care unit, I can survive the day with a surgical mask, but there is almost no way I could wear the N95 for several hours in continuum. That’s my first answer. There is a drawback of N95 for everybody for all the time. Are there any others you can think of?

Mark Loeb: Well, there are a number of factors. Firstly, there’s the supply chain. Access to N95 respirators, I would say, across the world is still very limited, so if we’re going to preserve N95 respirators, we would rather do this when health-care workers are in a high-risk situation.

That is one reason, and you mentioned the possibility of noncompliance: people not having been able to use an N95 respirator for long periods of time because of discomfort, because of headaches. Some people have bruising, etc.

My view on the whole thing, though, is that for example in medicine, when we look at interventions… even if we take infectious diseases, when we’re looking at vaccines, we do RCTs to tell us whether a vaccine is effective or not, right? We don’t rely only on preclinical data, we don’t rely on experimental data that hasn’t been tested in people. Based on that, I would use the same philosophy about medical masks. These are devices that are made to protect people and can have important implications, right? Similar to a vaccine in that if you’re not wearing the right face mask, it might lead to infection. That’s why I feel that the best strategy is to do a RCT between the N95 respirators and medical masks in a relatively low-risk setting, which is what we’re doing now at McMaster. We’re leading a trial in Canada and internationally to address this question.

Roman Jaeschke: So, to summarize, because we both work in clinical areas, we still both feel comfortable using surgical masks outside the specific aerosol-generating procedures and we are comfortable advising others to do so unless and until we have the better data to the contrary, especially if this contrary data would favor an intervention that is less convenient, more costly, and less accessible at the moment. Is that your view as well?

Mark Loeb: Yeah, that’s correct, Roman, and it’s not based on nothing. It’s also based on systematic reviews of RCTs that at this point don’t show—they’re not severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), they’re influenza and other respiratory viruses—really don’t show a significant difference between N95s and medical masks. It’s true that for some of these trials the confidence intervals are wide and SARS-CoV-2–specific RCTs should be done, but the best evidence is not suggestive of risk with not using the N95 respirator.
(..)
I don't think he went into that research entirely unbiased :-P

Also lol that it took him over 2 years to poo poo out the piece of research you posted.

Edit: I realize it is bad form going after the man, instead of the ball - but honestly the research is so obviously flawed or fraudulent, I couldn't be arsed to read through it.

This comes down to the only people, really, truly questioning n95+ as not working well are cranks and people with some level of vested interest. So this lovely research, which is designed in a way where n95's cannot work, winds up being used by the WHO as the main piece of research in favor of n95's :rubby:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

lmao

quote:

Roman Jaeschke: Let me play the devil’s advocate, and I will provide the first part of the answer to my question. Why not give everybody N95 respirators? That is the question and my first part of an answer is, working in the intensive care unit, I can survive the day with a surgical mask, but there is almost no way I could wear the N95 for several hours in continuum. That’s my first answer. There is a drawback of N95 for everybody for all the time. Are there any others you can think of?

Mark Loeb: Well, there are a number of factors. Firstly, there’s the supply chain. Access to N95 respirators, I would say, across the world is still very limited, so if we’re going to preserve N95 respirators, we would rather do this when health-care workers are in a high-risk situation.

That is one reason, and you mentioned the possibility of noncompliance: people not having been able to use an N95 respirator for long periods of time because of discomfort, because of headaches. Some people have bruising, etc.

wearing an n95 for hours at a time while engaged in physical activity does, unquestionably, suck absolute rear end but it's not like, impossible or traumatizing or anything, it just fuckin sucks. like I'm a big fat out of shape goon with commensurate cardiovascular and respiratory health and managed just fine lmao

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
if they make nurses go half a shift without peeing I think the big boy ICU docs can wear a fuckin n95

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Rather have uh... Headstrap discomfort than lung dissolution, gonna be honest

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hailthefish posted:

lmao

wearing an n95 for hours at a time while engaged in physical activity does, unquestionably, suck absolute rear end but it's not like, impossible or traumatizing or anything, it just fuckin sucks. like I'm a big fat out of shape goon with commensurate cardiovascular and respiratory health and managed just fine lmao

Also even if some people genuinely weren't capable of wearing an N95s for several hours in a medical setting that's no reason not to make them available for everyone else

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Novavax update

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...eek-2023-10-09/ posted:

Updated Novavax COVID-19 vaccine shipped to distributors, to be available this week

Vaccine maker Novavax Inc (NVAX.O) on Monday said it has shipped millions of doses its updated COVID-19 shots to distributors after receiving the go-ahead from U.S. regulators.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration authorized the updated vaccine last week for emergency use in individuals aged 12 years and older, but batches of the shots needed additional clearance from the FDA before they could be released.

Novavax said it expects the shots to be available at U.S. pharmacies this week.

The Maryland-based company, whose COVID vaccine is its lone marketed product, has adopted cost-cutting measures and is counting on commercial sales of its updated shot to help it stay afloat. The company has said it may not be able to remain solvent otherwise.

Novavax, whose protein-based shot uses a technology employed for decades to combat diseases, missed out on the pandemic vaccine windfall enjoyed by mRNA rivals due to manufacturing issues that delayed filing for approval when COVID was raging.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Love that surgery will refuse to use better masks because of the internalized image of what a surgeon looks like. Really loving getting raw dogged inside and out with aerosolized doctor filth.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

the funny part is surgeons will totally use n95s for SOME things, like the smoke from lasersurgery, but not for their own fetid exhalations

as always the only thing that ever actually matters is moment-to-moment discomfort

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

hailthefish posted:

wearing thick leathers and a heavy rear end full face helmet while engaged in motorcycling does, unquestionably, create more discomfort than riding in shorts and a t-shirt....

wearing earplugs while operating a pneumatic drill does, unquestionably, create more ear sweat and pressure than just eating the 120db in noise.....

I think these are good analogies because there are a lot of riders who eschew any form of protection, and I've seen a lotta construction dudes (mostly age >50) using zero earpro. In all cases "lol you're dumb"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Follow-up on this post:

Pingui posted:

Update on Ivermectin for prisoners, mentioned in this old post:

It is insanely hosed up:

Good for the prisoners that the lawsuit proceeds though.

https://www.corrections1.com/correctional-healthcare/articles/ivermectin-covid-19-treatment-lawsuit-settled-in-ark-3vHl0UPm4RXIJWJa/ posted:

Ivermectin COVID-19 treatment lawsuit settled in Ark.
Five former inmates secure a settlement against a jail doctor for administering ivermectin without their consent amid COVID-19
(..)
Under the settlement, each of the former inmates will receive $2,000.
(..)
Michael Mosley, an attorney for the defendants in the case, said they didn't admit any wrongdoing by settling the case.
(..)

An absolute travesty of justice and extremely hosed up.

Contrast and compare with this settlement which also happened yesterday (counting plaintiffs there are 47 or ~$38k per):

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I have to do some spreadsheet stuff this weekend, and have been holding out for novavax. Should I just get mrna immediately or is potentially getting novavax one or two days before still ok?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

Novavax has launched their own vaccine finder, no idea if it’s any better:

https://us.novavaxcovidvaccine.com/find-a-vaccine

Still nothing in my area, drat. Though when I checked Wal-Mart it just says "COVID Vaccine" and refuses to tell me what brand.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

I have to do some spreadsheet stuff this weekend, and have been holding out for novavax. Should I just get mrna immediately or is potentially getting novavax one or two days before still ok?

It's probably too late to have much impact, but get whatever you can get as fast as possible. Two weeks is what you want minimum really. Two days is nothing.

I think (probably in the old thread) there were charts showing it was more like the 1-2 month range where antibodies were at a peak after a shot. It takes longer the older and more lovely your immune system is, I think.

Rescue Toaster has issued a correction as of 15:59 on Oct 10, 2023

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
MOTH ME

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I wanna get mothed but nowhere nearby has it so I'm gonna get mRNA'd tomorrow instead.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

No pneumonia! (Yay!)

No COVID (YAY)

feeling slightly better, maybe. Ordered to bed rest (YAY)

Ofc I am off booze and smoking (and have been for weeks...lol) but I'm definitely hitting the dispensary on the way home and then taking a pseudo narcotic dose of edibles.

Also I think I wrote "n99" last night. Confusion on my part. Of course I meant n95s, I do also have a p99 in the shop, and my 3am fever brain confused it

I kinda want set up on a couch and emulate.... genesis games.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

wearing thick leathers and a heavy rear end full face helmet while engaged in motorcycling does, unquestionably, create more discomfort than riding in shorts and a t-shirt....

wearing earplugs while operating a pneumatic drill does, unquestionably, create more ear sweat and pressure than just eating the 120db in noise.....

I think these are good analogies because there are a lot of riders who eschew any form of protection, and I've seen a lotta construction dudes (mostly age >50) using zero earpro. In all cases "lol you're dumb"
And just like there are more comfortable masks for all day wearing, there's lightweight, mesh motorcycle gear that breathes well and is just as protective as the leather stuff, and helmets that are lighter and better ventilated than others, and 100 different types of earplugs to try until you find some that fit comfortably. If your goal is to be safe you can pretty easily work around those issues. If your goal is to just live your life and not be told what to do there are infinite bullshit reasons why wearing a mask just isn't possible sorry

bizwank has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Oct 10, 2023

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

hailthefish posted:

lmao

i wore one for an entire 24 hour train ride besides the smoke stops, that guy is such a pussy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Mother, may I be mothed?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

even AiT (dying) wears a respirator at the gym. WHO indeed.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pingui posted:

lmao

for the first year, Florida legitimately had the best public data I could find in the US. no aggregation of cases at all. you had specific age and location and also the dates of the first positive test, hospitalization and death for every individual. it was incredible

when they went back to school in fall 2020, you could see cases explode in kids and then a week later spread to everyone else. it took years for some studies to get to the same conclusion

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

puncturewound78 posted:

I have had covid twice, confirmed by PCR and RAT. I live with severe issues from long covid.

I never had any interruption in taste or smell.

Nearly everyone I know with long covid or in talking to about acute covid had no loss of taste or smell. I can think of 3 people that mentioned it compared to 50+ people who didn't experience it.

it’s a good positive indication but it’s absence says nothing at all

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pingui posted:

It's going to be like 1918 where the only country whose reports on influenza made it to the allies was Spain, so they called it the Spanish Flu.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m unironically going to blame Desantis if my mother continues to be neglected in Florida and dies. this saga is infuriating

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

My wife and I are going to her sister's wedding in a month and there are a bunch of different receptions and parties afterward. My wife is going to one of these without me due to scheduling; it's an indoor event with over 200 people. She made the mistake of asking her sister if she had thought about setting up air purifiers in the venue since a) she's medically compromised and b) there are a lot of truly ancient family members who are going to be in attendance, and the room is going to be at fire capacity.

Anyway we're disinvited from the entire event now, because "anyone who is worried about their health shouldn't come at all" and she's "done hearing about covid."

Same woman who gushed that we saved her life in 2020 when we shipped her a box of n95s I had in my wildfire kit when she was living in Manhattan during the initial surge.

:centrism:

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0856PHMMK

Deal on Coway airmega 200M. I think $129 is good for smoke CADR of 233 and relatively low noise.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

lmao :shepface:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

The Oldest Man posted:

My wife and I are going to her sister's wedding in a month and there are a bunch of different receptions and parties afterward. My wife is going to one of these without me due to scheduling; it's an indoor event with over 200 people. She made the mistake of asking her sister if she had thought about setting up air purifiers in the venue since a) she's medically compromised and b) there are a lot of truly ancient family members who are going to be in attendance, and the room is going to be at fire capacity.

Anyway we're disinvited from the entire event now, because "anyone who is worried about their health shouldn't come at all" and she's "done hearing about covid."

Same woman who gushed that we saved her life in 2020 when we shipped her a box of n95s I had in my wildfire kit when she was living in Manhattan during the initial surge.

:centrism:

wow

even to me that's a pretty impressive zero to one-hundred 'gently caress you and your health concerns' snap lol

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
condolences on your wife's family being weird. grats on missing out on becoming a SIL Saga spinoff

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Kotaku: 'Unexplainable industry cancellations continue as the much awaited SIL Bridezilla, sequel to the award-winning Hot Sister-In-Law, was abruptly cancelled during development'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

wow

even to me that's a pretty impressive zero to one-hundred 'gently caress you and your health concerns' snap lol

She's been having a series of meltdowns at other family members about other wedding stuff so this isn't an isolated incident, but going on a totally unhinged ableist rant at my wife is a New Look