Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ah gently caress. I don’t know how, but I forgot to type the word “notes.” Goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jason Fuchs.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Oh hey, I haven't seen a "from the twisted mind of..." promo in a while, let's look up this Matthew Vaughn and see what weird poo poo he's done before. Lol. Lmao. Words have no meaning anymore

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Makes me think of

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Gimme all the force you got!

No, that's too many.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean if I worked on that movie I'd want to make sure nobody could read the billing block also

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

ruddiger posted:

I used to rent Daryl, the Quest, and Explorers all the time, I was a sucker for kid adventure flicks.

D.A.R.Y.L. rules. I rewatched it a few years ago to relive my childhood. It still holds up.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

ruddiger posted:

I used to rent Daryl, the Quest, and Explorers all the time, I was a sucker for kid adventure flicks.

Apparently there was a ton of Explorers that ended up on the cutting room floor. I wish Joe Dante could get his hands on it and release a director's cut.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

DarkSol posted:

Apparently there was a ton of Explorers that ended up on the cutting room floor. I wish Joe Dante could get his hands on it and release a director's cut.

That movie ends at the tail of act 2 when they fly into space on the tilt-a-whirl and explode in the upper atmosphere. No amount of proof or argument could convince me that they meet a horny female alien with red lipstick and Robert Picardo, who sing an embarassing "All Around the World" musical number and send them home.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DarkSol posted:

Apparently it's all lost.

Count me in on loving Explorers when I was a kid.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Dillbag posted:

That movie ends at the tail of act 2 when they fly into space on the tilt-a-whirl and explode in the upper atmosphere. No amount of proof or argument could convince me that they meet a horny female alien with red lipstick and Robert Picardo, who sing an embarassing "All Around the World" musical number and send them home.

:hai:

Codependent Poster posted:

:sigh: That's loving disappointing. I'd love to see it or maybe some sort of novelization.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
is explorers the one where they build a junk spaceship that goes on a zipline? in the woods? also is daryl the one where the kid is in a scifi sorta prison type room and rides some sort of cyber beverage cart to try to escape?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dillbag posted:

Horny female is canon in any fiction

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

is explorers the one where they build a junk spaceship that goes on a zipline? in the woods? also is daryl the one where the kid is in a scifi sorta prison type room and rides some sort of cyber beverage cart to try to escape?

It's not a zipline but it is a junk spaceship. It's enclosed in an invisible bubble that lets them fly.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I loved it when the dad alien is yelling at the kids for bringing humans to their planet and he has little arms coming out of his head and they're making fists as he's yelling

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

also is daryl the one where the kid is in a scifi sorta prison type room and rides some sort of cyber beverage cart to try to escape?

I think you’re referring to Flight of the Navigator but maybe it happens in both?

https://youtu.be/f4v-dMfzp3E?si=90KrRXXh9S2YKDm4

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

80s adventure movies loved to have people ride in carts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gripweed posted:

80s adventure movies loved to have people ride in carts.

It was the decade of gently caress You, Got Mine

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

So I did a potentially stupid thing and filled out the "Contact Me" form on Joe Dante's production studio's website, asking about Explorers, the third act and all that jazz yesterday... and I actually got a response back this evening! :magical: Definitely wasn't expecting an answer, much less one so quickly.

quote:

Hi DS,

Here are Joe's answers to your questions!

Yes, the cut footage is permanently gone, but some of it is viewable in rough cut form on the most recent Shout! Factory Blu-ray.
The novelization was written before the movie was hastily released unfinished by the new studio regime, so it probably includes more of our original intentions. Paramount was completely uninterested in a director's cut version when approached several years ago, but not enough of the missing material existed to make one anyway.

Best,
Team Renfield

Guess it's time to look for the novelization and see what was left out of the movie.

Shame Paramount doesn't want to do a director's cut of the film. :sigh:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Awesome that you got a reply.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Joe Dante is cool. It's nice he responded.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

These disney rebrands are getting wild.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ralepozozaxe posted:

These disney rebrands are getting wild.

I was going to say that Astro Boy used the name first but I wasn't sure so I checked and it turns out that the Astro Boy character Pluto first appeared in 1961, and the Disney character Pluto first appeared in 1931

That Disney stuff is extremely old

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Gripweed posted:

I was going to say that Astro Boy used the name first but I wasn't sure so I checked and it turns out that the Astro Boy character Pluto first appeared in 1961, and the Disney character Pluto first appeared in 1931

That Disney stuff is extremely old

And Pluto the planet was only first discovered in 1930, though I dont think that's what the dog was named after, at leats not officially.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"What should we name this loveable pooch? How bout naming him after the Greco-Roman god of Death?"
-Walt Disney possibly

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FreudianSlippers posted:

"What should we name this loveable pooch? How bout naming him after the Greco-Roman god of Death?"
-Walt Disney possibly

He was one of those guys we still have today who name their tiny little dogs things like Cujo or Cerberus.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In Cinderella there's a cat named Lucifer so things were just kinda wild back then I guess (a villain's cat, to be fair)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Lucifer just means light bringer or exalted. I think some translations of the Bible even use it to describe Jesus.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pluto the manga had the good sense to only mention the name in relation to the roman take on Hades, and not the later demoted-to dwarf planet not worth talking about. The planet got the shove in the middle of the manga's run.

Eat poo poo, Clyde Tombaugh.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao it’s the giant Dave head back again

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That looks so terrible lol

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

All joy has left this man's body.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The t-rex in the background seems happy at least.

Although as the tyrannosaurus rex was thought to be strictly carnivorous, that means in this world presents are living creatures that are hunted for pray.

So that nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

NEW MOVIE