Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Watching those videos of the Palestinians entering Be'eri, contrasting it with videos of the carnage in Gaza, and thinking about these teens and 20-somethings encountering for the first time, not just Israelis, but what Israel has built outside their open-air prison, I'm reminded of this passage in Roots:

“The first time he had taken the massa to one of these "high-falutin' to-dos," as Bell called them, Kunta had been all but overwhelmed by conflicting emotions: awe, indignation, envy, contempt, fascination, revulsion—but most of all a deep loneliness and melancholy from which it took him almost a week to recover. He couldn't believe that such incredible wealth actually existed, that people really lived that way. It took him a long time, and a great many more parties, to realize that they didn't live that way, that it was all strangely unreal, a kind of beautiful dream the white folks were having, a lie they were telling themselves: that goodness can come from badness, that it's possible to be civilized with one another without treating as human beings those whose blood, sweat, and mother's milk made possible the life of privilege they led.”

carcinofuck has issued a correction as of 08:41 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Reminds me of Red Army soldiers first entering East Prussia and seeing what sort of luxury the average german peasant lived in

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

idk how people feel about podcast talk but there is a new chapo trap house that is an interview with a guy named Mohammad Alsaafin who is an AJ+ reporter (https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/771-the-crossing-feat-mohammad-alsaafin-101023)

I bring it up because he said, this which shook me a bit:

quote:

One thing that stood out to me, watching some of the footage the Hamas fighters filmed of themselves is that- I think a lot of people don't comprehend this- as much as Israel controls every aspect of, I think, Gaza, most people in Gaza have never seen an Israeli. Right? That's something crazy to think about. When we think about dystopian future where we're talking about people being warehoused or ghettoized. You know?

We're talking about an entire generation of people who only know Israel through airstrikes, through the limitations on their physical freedom at the borders, sniper fire, and the fact that whether they get sick, whether they can't get a job, whether they can't go abroad to get an education. All of that is determined by a faceless bureaucrat behind a high-tech fence.

And so, these fighters who entered the Israeli military bases and killed Israeli soldiers and then moved onto Israeli towns, and then were interacting with Israelis in their homes, this genuinely was the first time they'd seen an Israeli, you know? It's absolutely mind-blowing to think about.

thank you for transcribing this quote

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

No matter how war randy Biden gets I don't see what he can do about any of this. A handful of jets flying from a carrier bombing the same rubble the idf has been bombing all day isn't going to matter. The carrier and sending supposed secret weapons seem like pure PR. America doesn't have shells or missiles to send. It's not going to put troops on the ground.

For that matter what could America even do against Iran. America is spread all the gently caress over the place and even bombing weddings was getting harder. They could fling some cruise missiles to 'send a message' at best. An invasion seems so impossibly beyond what current American can do they'd be better off invading mars.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

CODChimera posted:

you have to imagine the US does _something_ to increase ammo production

yeah they'll make (insert european country) send theirs

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
oil prices might reach 100$ a barrell soon

https://twitter.com/ajarabic/status/1712011405648421052?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 08:51 on Oct 11, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BULBASAUR posted:

yeah they'll make (insert european country) send theirs

Yeah, its too bad they sent them to the Ost front. At best, they will just hand over whatever they are producing for the Ukrainians to the Israelis and the Ukrainians will be told not to "negotiate no matter what."

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

inshallah

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Modern reimagining where al-saqr is in bibi's philly house, marveling at his tabletop room

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Something maybe happening again in Sderot as Israel hands out 27k guns to settlers in the town. Fascist genocidal minister can't leave :(

https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1712008275086938594

https://twitter.com/ME_Observer_/status/1712014770382016587

https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1712011584548036631

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

speng31b posted:

idk op think about what you're asking. if people can't evacuate or escape from one of the most densely populated areas on earth with a population of several million (nearly 800k in gaza City alone) and water and power are cut off and the IDF decided to "depopulate" what does that mean to you

I am asking what genocide looks like in 2023 against a population of 2 million people in a checkpointed ghetto

since that is what is being threatened or talked about

the nazis had the Wannsee Conference to put all the organs of government into alignment

or is it your position that mass murder will be done more artisanally? Freestyle?

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

finally got to the end of this thread and boy howdy am i gonna have a reaction to the next person who tries to tell me how bad jan 6th and the potential danger to our country's leaders was

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raiad posted:

finally got to the end of this thread and boy howdy am i gonna have a reaction to the next person who tries to tell me how bad jan 6th and the potential danger to our country's leaders was

The correct response is to nod along and say "Yes, we must stop the Drumpf, at all costs!"

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Death By The Blues posted:

Something maybe happening again in Sderot as Israel hands out 27k guns to settlers in the town. Fascist genocidal minister can't leave :(

https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1712011584548036631

:getin:

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I testify that there is no deity but God, and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I love his portrait.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:29 on Oct 11, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The militants wiped out an entire Israeli airborne team.
https://twitter.com/CollieYimby/status/1711859054656753994?s=20

lol they really just dumped that team into the middle of the poo poo and left them to die :mediocre:

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

She’s surprisingly onboard w the thread position because apparently the Israel lobby people were unbearable in her DC days

Lol what a reason to be against a genocide

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

fanfic insert posted:

Lol what a reason to be against a genocide

that's what it comes down to at the end of the day. who was nice to me, who wasn't.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The militants wiped out an entire Israeli airborne team.
https://twitter.com/CollieYimby/status/1711859054656753994?s=20

hamas just sucker punched the only batch of soldiers who could actually fight rather than be useless open air prison camp guards

my gut feeling is that there's quite a few units that don't exist any more outside of paper

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Attacks right now between Israel and Lebanon

https://twitter.com/AlarabyTV/status/1712015291700449785

https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1712017785121898934

https://twitter.com/AJArabic/status/1712019793992093953

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

lol they really just dumped that team into the middle of the poo poo and left them to die :mediocre:

poo poo team six.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lpzie posted:

that's what it comes down to at the end of the day. who was nice to me, who wasn't.

Liberals operate on vibes. Its chilling to really think about.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hopefully by 'game changer' he means 'Game Over for Israel'

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have the right to exist! I say as I slowly turn into hummus.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
lmao if Lebanon ends up doing more to stop a genocide than any other country in the last like 2 decades

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just reviewing the western news reporting on all this and it's strikingly similar to how Ukraine's been reported on: lots and lots of generalised outrage and reporting on specific incidents; strangely useless for getting any sort of understanding of the basic situation on the ground right now. There are also glaring omissions in the reporting: for example, there's a complete absence of any discussion of the implications of the fact that Israel still hasn't been able to secure the border with Gaza, days after all this began.

I dunno what my point is.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

lmao if Lebanon ends up doing more to stop a genocide than any other country in at least 2 decades

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

i picked up a fantastic hobby in the form of warhammer 40,000

To have some escapism from this fascist world we live in, I'm going to play a game where everyone is 10% more fascist than our world.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

can someone link me to a battle map or something, my geography of the area is shameful and i have no idea where things are when people are mentioning locations etc.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The wacky workplace shenanigans of Lebanese, Syrian, Yemeni and Iraqi militias working together in the new tv comedy Sh.I.T.e crowd or something.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just reviewing the western news reporting on all this and it's strikingly similar to how Ukraine's been reported on: lots and lots of generalised outrage and reporting on specific incidents; strangely useless for getting any sort of understanding of the basic situation on the ground right now. There are also glaring omissions in the reporting: for example, there's a complete absence of any discussion of the implications of the fact that Israel still hasn't been able to secure the border with Gaza, days after all this began.

I think this is a matter of perspective too. Libs are not yearning for this information that we see is missing. It used to be years ago that I'd read an article about Israel or Iraq or Vietnam and come away with a feeling that I'd gained some understanding.

It's only nowadays that I can look at an article or news coverage and see all the things they're not reporting.

I genuinely can't tell if the news got more explicit about the information gaps, or worse at hiding it, or me just better at picking up on it.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's how most westerners understand the world, as this kind of game of one-upmanship where a blank slate is assumed and then the individual incidents from each side are tallied to decide the most moral team, regardless of any context or historical background, and never mind the system delivering this information to you has a vested interest in hiding or promoting the information it wants you to see or not see. Consumers of this kind of media are the true purveyors of actual Whataboutery, as they always have a trumped-up sensational incident on hand to catch out their evil enemies and keep themselves feeling morally superior.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
how it started

quote:

How dare you hold a state that receives massive diplomatic and financial support from your own nation to a higher standard than already sanctioned pariahs.

how it's going

quote:

None of the people who keep making these comparisons to the ANC and IRA cannot point to a single incident that had even one-tenth of the civilian casualties that the October 7th attack had, nor which contained anything like the sheer level wanton and gleeful cruelty against civilians with absolutely no relation to the entity they were fighting. There's a reason those resistance movements achieved some degree of success, while Hamas is about to be obliterated along with a substantial portion of the populace it claims to represent.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Hezbollahs response

https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1712025525374398818

https://twitter.com/ME_Observer_/status/1712023052567949709

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

its why i make the thread title as extreme as possible. By getting the fact that we cspammers, love palestine, hate israel, love hamas, love killing children and kidnapping grandmothers out of the way, we can skip the emotional evokation, get on the same page and hopefully something actually informational beyond "teenagers with guns kill people" can be discussed.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

toggle posted:

can someone link me to a battle map or something, my geography of the area is shameful and i have no idea where things are when people are mentioning locations etc.

Suriyak is pretty decent ime (Telegram, Twitter)

Rybar also does maps that distinguish between territorial control and areas that have fighting but they don't do scale at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

If Nelson Mandela wasnt arrested in 1964 he 1000% percent wouldve been more in line with Winnie Mandelas' route of armed struggle.