Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I'm not sure how important up to the minute updates are. I would think that this conflict will essentially be on rails for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Much like the Ukraine war it starts out hot and will eventually summer down to a more steady stream of atrocities.

I think a question worth asking is: how badly do we need up to the minute information?

I appreciate any news I can get because I do have family in the area.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nenonen posted:

:same: but further on one that has a focus on recognizing misinformation, bad journalism and blatant propaganda. There's so much "news" especially on Twitter and other social media from dubious sources, meanwhile big media outlets are running in circles reporting on things that we already know, that it feels useless to follow any of them. Which is probably good for sanity anyway...

We had a media literacy thread that was supposed to generally inform forums norms on interpreting sources; mods made the decision to not moderate it so it was trolled into oblivion and then closed because moderating it would take work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grip it and rip it posted:

I'm not sure how important up to the minute updates are. I would think that this conflict will essentially be on rails for the most part.

How can I fuel my anxiety and depression by only following one war in near real-time?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

mobby_6kl posted:

How can I fuel my anxiety and depression by only following one war in near real-time?

Don't you understand the fog of war?!?!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

:same: but further on one that has a focus on recognizing misinformation, bad journalism and blatant propaganda. There's so much "news" especially on Twitter and other social media from dubious sources, meanwhile big media outlets are running in circles reporting on things that we already know, that it feels useless to follow any of them. Which is probably good for sanity anyway...

Is there a reason you don't count the 'big media outlets' among the 'dubious sources'? What are the mechanisms that you think makes them intrinsically more trustworthy?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Is there a reason you don't count the 'big media outlets' among the 'dubious sources'? What are the mechanisms that you think makes them intrinsically more trustworthy?

Big media outlets *are* generally reliable, however unpopular that feeling may be.

And its being compared with social media, which has a reliability of exactly zero.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't count journalistic publications so much as sources but as reporters. Of course it varies how rigidly they follow journalistic guidelines and how competent they even are, but generally it's a known factor if a media house puts a spin in their reporting or if someone is just repeating someone else's talking points. In social media you encounter a lot of unknown sources and people who fw:fw:fw: posts that no one has tried to verify and if it turns to be untrue they will not issue any corrections either.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nenonen posted:

In social media you encounter a lot of unknown sources and people who fw:fw:fw: posts that no one has tried to verify and if it turns to be untrue they will not issue any corrections either.
Plus, the way social media monetization works, it encourages people to be first to post a story so they get the clicks. Whether or not the story is true is secondary.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Mr. Apollo posted:

Plus, the way social media monetization works, it encourages people to be first to post a story so they get the clicks. Whether or not the story is true is secondary.

This is also how conglomerate broadcast news works

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Rooney McNibnug posted:

They can get sued if they aren't careful, though. Good luck suing Twitter blue subscriber @breakingnews420 though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Hamas is going to sue NYT or something, but yeah even with all the MSM problems we're familiar with, their reporting is going to be generally less wild.

That said if the russia war is anything to go by, there are going to be some reliable twitter sources that take it seriously and try to very all information. Identifying them is an exercise for the readers of course.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Nah, they do fine with real news most of the time. Their bread and butter is creating stories out of nothing or hyping trivial events as meaningful news when there's not much going on that's actually interesting.

They have air time to fill, and they'll bring in four experts to debate the color of Joe Biden's pants if there's nothing else to talk about.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Nah, they do fine with real news most of the time. Their bread and butter is creating stories out of nothing or hyping trivial events as meaningful news when there's not much going on that's actually interesting.

They have air time to fill, and they'll bring in four experts to debate the color of Joe Biden's pants if there's nothing else to talk about.

Not much going on that's actually interesting or that they're allowed to report

Like if there's unprecedented striking over prison conditions or whatnot you can be sure it's time for a Pants Debate rather than ever covering that. Also major media outlets generally love war and can't really be trusted to ever be objective on it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Peace in Middle East has taken a small step forward today as the president of Iran___ has arrived to Saudi Arabia to discuss the Gaza events.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Senate passed unanimously (100-0) the Armenian Protection Act.

https://x.com/frankpallone/status/1725257556170551364?s=46

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
NYT has a pretty good human interest story about NK today, https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/17/world/europe/nagorno-karabakh-armenia-azerbaijan-wounds.html from someone who must have gone to both sides of the border.

I guess a few thousand Armenians stayed in the area. Will be interesting to hear how it is for anyone who tries to go back.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

U.S. Central Command posted:

Today, there were four attacks against three separate commercial vessels operating in international waters in the southern Red Sea. These three vessels are connected to 14 separate nations. The Arleigh-Burke Class destroyer USS CARNEY responded to the distress calls from the ships and provided assistance.

At approximately 9:15 a.m. Sanaa time, the CARNEY detected an anti-ship ballistic missile attack fired from Houthi controlled areas of Yemen toward the M/V UNITY EXPLORER, impacting in the vicinity of the vessel. UNITY EXPLORER is a Bahamas flagged, U.K. owned and operated, bulk cargo ship crewed by sailors from two nations. The CARNEY was conducting a patrol in the Red Sea and detected the attack on the UNITY EXPLORER.

At approximately 12 p.m., and while in international waters, CARNEY engaged and shot down a UAV launched from Houthi controlled areas in Yemen. The drone was headed toward CARNEY although its specific target is not clear. We cannot assess at this time whether the Carney was a target of the UAVs. There was no damage to the U.S. vessel or injuries to personnel.

In a separate attack at approximately 12:35 p.m., UNITY EXPLORER reported they were struck by a missile fired from Houthi controlled areas in Yemen. CARNEY responded to the distress call. While assisting with the damage assessment, CARNEY detected another inbound UAV, destroying the drone with no damage or injuries on the CARNEY or UNITY EXPLORER. UNITY EXPLORER reports minor damage from the missile strike.

At approximately 3:30 p.m. the M/V NUMBER 9 was struck by a missile fired from Houthi controlled areas in Yemen while operating international shipping lanes in the Red Sea. The Panamanian flagged, Bermuda and U.K. owned and operated, bulk carrier reported damage and no casualties.

At approximately 4:30 p.m., the M/V SOPHIE II, sent a distress call stating they were struck by a missile. CARNEY again responded to the distress call and reported no significant damage. While en route to render support, CARNEY shot down a UAV headed in its direction. SOPHIE II is a Panamanian flagged bulk carrier, crewed by sailors from eight countries.

These attacks represent a direct threat to international commerce and maritime security. They have jeopardized the lives of international crews representing multiple countries around the world. We also have every reason to believe that these attacks, while launched by the Houthis in Yemen, are fully enabled by Iran. The United States will consider all appropriate responses in full coordination with its international allies and partners.
Uh-oh. If this keeps happening, there might be some sort of proportional response from the USN and allies.

(statement was on twitter, not linking :twitter:)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

These are all bulk carriers that got hit. I’ve previously boarded one of them for a loading survey.

It’s a big deal if it continues to happen. It’s a very different thing than the piracy.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
So presumably this is them following through on targeting vessels associated with Israel, right? I recall the first one that got targeted a little ways back was technically UK-based but ultimately owned by some Israeli magnate, is it the same story here or are they broadening their list of targets?

Edit: here's the AP writeup: https://apnews.com/article/red-sea-houthi-yemen-ships-attack-israel-hamas-war-gaza-strip-716770f0a780160e9abed98d3c48fbde

Looks like they are Israeli-linked but less directly than the previous targets - I haven't really got much sense for how many ships pass through the area without incident on a daily/weekly basis, so not sure if this is basically indiscriminate or laser-focused. Would love to get an effortpost from someone with more knowledge of the lanes

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 6, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BougieBitch posted:

So presumably this is them following through on targeting vessels associated with Israel, right? I recall the first one that got targeted a little ways back was technically UK-based but ultimately owned by some Israeli magnate, is it the same story here or are they broadening their list of targets?

Edit: here's the AP writeup: https://apnews.com/article/red-sea-houthi-yemen-ships-attack-israel-hamas-war-gaza-strip-716770f0a780160e9abed98d3c48fbde

Looks like they are Israeli-linked but less directly than the previous targets - I haven't really got much sense for how many ships pass through the area without incident on a daily/weekly basis, so not sure if this is basically indiscriminate or laser-focused. Would love to get an effortpost from someone with more knowledge of the lanes

The Red Sea terminates at the Suez Canal. Which is to say, it's one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.

The Bab-el-Mandeb Strait aka the Gate of Grief is the entrance to the Red Sea right by Yemen, Djibouti, Eritrea etc. It has gotten little press even though many military powers are building naval bases in the immediate area. The ease at which the Houthis can mess with shipping highlights the area's importance.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I wouldn’t really call any the three bulk carriers particularly Israeli linked. But then again we don’t know the charter parties, and they only very generally mention the owners and operators.

Here’s the thing that links them. Bulk carriers are slow. Loaded they have a low freeboard and they might sink one with a good hit.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I’d really like to know more about Yemen and “the houthis”. In the media, they are always referred to as “the Iran-backed Houthi rebels”, leading one to believe they are marginal guerillas propped up by a foreign power. But here they are firing ballistic missiles and conducting complex naval raids. Do “the houthis” at this point constitute the de facto Yemen state and military? Is there any article or podcast that goes into depth about Yemen without resorting to cheap propaganda?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’d really like to know more about Yemen and “the houthis”. In the media, they are always referred to as “the Iran-backed Houthi rebels”, leading one to believe they are marginal guerillas propped up by a foreign power. But here they are firing ballistic missiles and conducting complex naval raids. Do “the houthis” at this point constitute the de facto Yemen state and military? Is there any article or podcast that goes into depth about Yemen without resorting to cheap propaganda?

wikipedia is a good start. they're the hill people of high-elevation yemen as opposed to a rival government in Aden. they've been in the news a lot the last decade because they won a war against saudi arabia, the UAE, and two puppet yemeni governments with US backing. it's probably the most brutal conflict this century, or just behind Ethiopia. they are battle-hardened and totally fearless, and very much say what they mean

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

i say swears online posted:

and very much say what they mean

They sometimes make the argument that their flag motto does not literally say what they mean.

Control of Yemen: it's complicated. This is a dated, 2020-era map.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm assuming like 80% of the population lives in that green area (the highlands, with arable land)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yemen spent much of the cold war split into North and South, in like a desert version of Vietnam. Both sides unified but the divide between the lowlands and highlands never went away and after whatshisface lost power in the Arab Spring no one was skilled enough to hold the country together. The Houthis would be their own thing even without Iranian support, they're just happy to take guns from the guys who oppose the people invading their* country.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

"The Houthis" are basically the historical state of North Yemen, which indeed had (and has) about 80% of the population of the theoretical territory of all of Yemen.

This is a historical map of Yemen, which is basically the same as today's map of Yemen.

And North and South Yemen were also separate administrative divisions during the last century of Ottoman control -- which extended over North Yemen, but not South Yemen of which Britain nominally pulled the strings (although not really outside of Aden afaik) gradually between 1839 and WW1.

North and South Yemen were also separate divisions even when free of Ottoman control in the 18th century and prior to the British arrival, and North and South Yemen also have different religions. I don't know at what point, if any, they were historically connected for any serious length of time. As far as I can tell, the current borders between Houthi Yemen and Federal Yemen follow the North and South divisions which have stayed more or less the same for hundreds of years with small fluctuations, like the French-German border.

121423_2
Dec 14, 2023
the middle east: out of oil or Conserving?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

So far:

Maersk
Hapag-Lloyd
MSC Mediterranean Shipping
CMA CGM

shipping companies have announced that they have ceased using the Suez Canal. This has various implications. One is that your sex arses might not make it to you by Christmas if you live in Europe. The other one is that Egypt is going to get pissed by this loss of income and ask for her allies to do something, probably. The alternative is that the North East Passage becomes more prominent, allowing Russia to cash in on the traffic.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

And for anyone that doesn't read the wiki, don't make the mistake of considering the Houthis to be an ethnic group. The name comes from a tribe, and they're name up predominantly of a given group from the region. But really it's more a political/religious group based on Shia Islam.

And check out the Houthis flag with their slogan on it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Nenonen posted:

So far:

Maersk
Hapag-Lloyd
MSC Mediterranean Shipping
CMA CGM

shipping companies have announced that they have ceased using the Suez Canal. This has various implications. One is that your sex arses might not make it to you by Christmas if you live in Europe. The other one is that Egypt is going to get pissed by this loss of income and ask for her allies to do something, probably. The alternative is that the North East Passage becomes more prominent, allowing Russia to cash in on the traffic.

Maybe Egypt should do something about it. We've (the US) been selling them arms for decades. Although things didn't go too well for Egypt the last time they messed around in Yemen.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Maybe Egypt should do something about it. We've (the US) been selling them arms for decades. Although things didn't go too well for Egypt the last time they messed around in Yemen.

Do you think that it's likely that Egypt can solve the situation by itself? I don't.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Egypt isn't capable of doing much, and as was alluded to they already have a miserable history there.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Maybe Egypt will ask her allies to do something?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I guess the Saudis could intervene. Sounds like they'd make quick work of the Houthis.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's fresh ideas like that that we need!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's fresh ideas like that that we need!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's time for another proportional response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I hope responsible parties in the region see what the houthis are doing and join them in an effort to pressure Israel to stop its genocide in Gaza