Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Gawr Gooner posted:

I don't know if I have posted in here before about this exact issue, but has anyone had insanely long queue times and do you know what to do about it? I haven't played in like 6 years so maybe that's the problem, but it takes two entire hours to find an unranked match on USE/USW and ten minutes to find a role queue.

Try to recalibrate, I que on us east in 2 mins or under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea the only time my queue is longer than a few minutes is when I'm playing at really off hours. And even then it's usually not more than 10-15 minutes.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Does the game even hold you to the rank you had 6 years since you last played?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Does the game even hold you to the rank you had 6 years since you last played?

No.. I didn't play for a year and it is making me do recalibration until my rank confidence is 30 percent, which seems like 30 games.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Long rear end queue right now though.... ohhhhhhh right TI Group Stages started

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Incidentally, I'm seeing a lot of Centaur this weekend :v:

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
And not a Slardar to be seen. Fishy bois getting rare.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

:shepface:

This is all I ever say during a match other than making some callouts, I have chat completely muted.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Which of the seven dollar chat lines ticks you guys off the. Most l? Looking to up my game

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Try to recalibrate, I que on us east in 2 mins or under.

The recalibrate button seemed to do something. Two games after ten minutes, third after five. It's slowly fixing it for me.

A guy on my team trash talked the enemy carry (we were losing and said carry was 15-0) until he snapped and became racist. Really feels like DOTA.

Gawr Gooner fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 15, 2023

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Man I've been killing games as es just going either urn if they got beef or wand if it's good for lane or bracer otherwise and blademail into a heart. The early stomping means I've got it by 22-28 min depending on how good the start is and I'm just a menace to deal with from then on. Particularly great if u got donkey offlane picks with no beef

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Thanks for the compliment, but my offlane is not that good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

flashman posted:

Man I've been killing games as es just going either urn if they got beef or wand if it's good for lane or bracer otherwise and blademail into a heart. The early stomping means I've got it by 22-28 min depending on how good the start is and I'm just a menace to deal with from then on. Particularly great if u got donkey offlane picks with no beef

which es

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Earth spirit

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Heart strikes me as an odd choice, but I don't play Earth Spirit.

I thought you were talking about Earthshaker and I was like, "No Blink/Aghs? :thunk:"

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I wasn't buying it for the longest time but the sustain it provides is awesome for extended engagements and getting the most of of blade mail. A couple void stones solves all your mana woes and can convert easily into the octarine if that's your bag but I've bought euls and sheepstick instead if there is an sb or carry that needs dealing with as a follow up.

Prior I was picking up a sange and kaya and then maybe an eth blade to try to keep the ball rolling but I found there was a point where I fell off and better have a carry that can take over from there. I'm bad with the eth blade as well although it probably gives alot of solo kill potential.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I usually just buy every possible mobility item on earth spirit

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Someone recently mentioned Veno + Viper in lane together; just got to do this with a pubbie versus a Faceless Void & KOTL. Was real fun, Backtrack felt pretty useless because we're slowly chipping away for virtually no resources so he'd barely heal anything. Then it's on CD and he can't dare step near the creeps lest we spit on him even more.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Someone recently mentioned Veno + Viper in lane together; just got to do this with a pubbie versus a Faceless Void & KOTL. Was real fun, Backtrack felt pretty useless because we're slowly chipping away for virtually no resources so he'd barely heal anything. Then it's on CD and he can't dare step near the creeps lest we spit on him even more.

it's so good, you will almost certainly lose the game eventually but for 10 minutes their hard carry will hate his life and that's the real victory

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

So I finally got my PC issues in order and managed to do most of the new player experience parts and a few bot matches. I have been playing just Dragon Knight since I think he will be mechanically quite simple to play, has passive regen, is tanky so when im out of position I wont instantly die and is also flexible with roles. Though I feel like I can get tunnel vision in focusing last hitting so would it be better to begin by learnint a support hero?

So I guess I still play againts bots for a while or should I just start playing unranked?

Is there a good Discord or other community that suits a beginner like me?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have you played League or Smite or some other MOBA? If so, what role do you like? I'd say just play what appeals to you -- trying to learn DOTA while playing a role you don't like sounds like a bad recipe IMO. And even if you haven't played another MOBA, I'd still ask "What typical MMORPG archetype appeals to you? Tank, Damage, Healing/Support?"

I'd say a few Bot games are good while to get used to the core fundamentals, then maybe Coop vs AI or yea just real games. I assume people are less dick-ish in Coop vs AI rather than real matches, but I don't know.

No idea about Discords, but you can find me on steam via my forum handle here and I could do some Coop v AI and help get your acclimated if you're on a US-East friendly time schedule. I typically play 7PM+. I wouldn't inherently be against playing real games either, but I have thousands of hours played and you'd be getting paired up against mostly experienced players who would probably ruin your day which isn't fun.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Sab669 posted:

I wouldn't inherently be against playing real games either, but I have thousands of hours played and you'd be getting paired up against mostly experienced players who would probably ruin your day which isn't fun.

A big high when playing dota is when you outsmart your opponent, so arguably just queuing up in unranked matchmaking is going to be more fun ultimately. But yeah, bot matches are good at getting the fundamentals down, training that muscle memory, training last hitting and trying out heroes.

I'm a middling player that regularly plays in a group of immortals and while you undeniably learn a lot it from playing better opponents, it can feel really bad when you get punished hard for every little mistake.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

I have played the OG Dota and Heroes of Newerth back in the day. I recall that I played mostly mid but that is so long ago it might not have happened. And I was never really any good anyway. I have been following the pro scene on and off, so the basic concepts of the game are familiar to me, but to actually play is completely different thing, I feel.

I think I would like to play role that is quite independent from the others in the team. Meaning that I dont want to babysit some other player and hope they play well.

Im in the EU timezone but my gaming schedules are quite irregular. But I imagine they are not usually compatible with US schedules anyway.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Id play the core roles first. I think support needs a lot of game knowledge to do the job well and it's easier to focus on last hitting as the core until you get your feet under you

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Beef posted:

A big high when playing dota is when you outsmart your opponent, so arguably just queuing up in unranked matchmaking is going to be more fun ultimately. But yeah, bot matches are good at getting the fundamentals down, training that muscle memory, training last hitting and trying out heroes.

I'm a middling player that regularly plays in a group of immortals and while you undeniably learn a lot it from playing better opponents, it can feel really bad when you get punished hard for every little mistake.

Yeah I dont feel like getting into a games with too much higher level players is that good for anyone. But at the same time hand learning by osmosis is a real thing, and just seeing people talking about games or replays can be very enlightening. Or other people analyzing and critiquing your games of course. Hence why i'm asking if there is a Discord.

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Id play the core roles first. I think support needs a lot of game knowledge to do the job well and it's easier to focus on last hitting as the core until you get your feet under you

This is my gut feeling also. Focus on my role and to not messing up too bad. Then after that learn to care about how other players are doing in the game, while keeping my own game where it should be.

E: Since I started doing newbie spam in this thread:
What are your keybinds you use for items etc.? I find the default Alt+ qwer to be difficult, especially since it seems that I cannot reliably disable the windows key on my computer while playing. Sometimes it does nothing and sometimes it opens the start menu, and I cannot understand why. Anyway the Alt key is so close to the cursed windows key that accidental presses are bound to happen from time to time. Maybe Shift would be better for it, or is that a bad idea somehow?

bad_fmr fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 18, 2023

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yeah learning to reliably CS and control lane position and creep aggro are pretty important no matter the role, so I echo the play a core sentiment. Look up a quick video about how creep and tower aggro work if you haven't already, it helps a lot and isn't a super obvious mechanic.

You might like wraith king if you're enjoying dk. If you stick with DK don't forget to try to CS a (range) creep and harass with the same fire breath if you can.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

bad_fmr posted:

Yeah I dont feel like getting into a games with too much higher level players is that good for anyone. But at the same time hand learning by osmosis is a real thing, and just seeing people talking about games or replays can be very enlightening. Or other people analyzing and critiquing your games of course. Hence why i'm asking if there is a Discord.

This is my gut feeling also. Focus on my role and to not messing up too bad. Then after that learn to care about how other players are doing in the game, while keeping my own game where it should be.

E: Since I started doing newbie spam in this thread:
What are your keybinds you use for items etc.? I find the default Alt+ qwer to be difficult, especially since it seems that I cannot reliably disable the windows key on my computer while playing. Sometimes it does nothing and sometimes it opens the start menu, and I cannot understand why. Anyway the Alt key is so close to the cursed windows key that accidental presses are bound to happen from time to time. Maybe Shift would be better for it, or is that a bad idea somehow?

You can bind alt key to something else, I put mine on the mouse 5 (browser forward) button. But also I put items on their own keys and use alt to self-cast

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Now that you guys say it, yea, I'd recommend avoiding supports just because last hitting is so essential for, well, everyone really as even supports find time to last hit... But obviously most important for 1 - 3

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I like getting people started off in the offlane as tanky heroes with a wave clear (centaur, tide work well) and just get em to beef up and practice the laning stage and once they get that down watch some videos on warding and using glimmer cloak and poo poo then they can go ham as a sup. It takes a long time to get as good as someone with thousands of hours at last hitting in lane so it's good to have a crutch at first like double edge or anchor smash.

Matchmaking gets wonky with archon/legend and a couple heralds and it's usually stomps one way or the other but I still have alot of fun playing either sup for them or an active mid hero

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Pick CM, skill aura, stay in fountain

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
I think that the role you pick will come from where you find the most enjoyment. You get to enjoy different parts of Dota more depending on what clicks with you.

Some people really enjoy the PvE part of the game, and just want to farm until they are a unkillable machine. If killing neutrals and lane creeps is what you personally enjoy the most, then play hard carry.

If you are much more interested in getting into a bunch of team fights and throwing your weight around then offlane is a better fit.

If it is a combination of the two then mid is the best, but it also comes with the most pressure so keep that in mind.

If you are more interested in the "strategy" over tactics part of the game and don't like the core pressure, then hard support is a better option. Learning how to win the wards war, stacking and pulling is a lot to think on but is less mechanically difficult.

Soft Support is like playing a more greedy hard support, you still care about the tactics side of the game but also want to deal more damage in fights and have more items to work with. You are not likely to act as ballsy as a offlaner but you will likely gank much more than the other support.

No matter what role you pick, it will be hard starting out (mid probably hardest). So I would say just try to start learning the side of the game that appeals to you the most. Personally, I find Soft Support to be my sweet spot of lower pressure but more killy heroes.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yeah, if your team loses, 90% of the time it’s blamed on the mid. Doesn’t matter how much effort the other team spent to shut your mid down.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

bad_fmr posted:

So I finally got my PC issues in order and managed to do most of the new player experience parts and a few bot matches. I have been playing just Dragon Knight since I think he will be mechanically quite simple to play, has passive regen, is tanky so when im out of position I wont instantly die and is also flexible with roles. Though I feel like I can get tunnel vision in focusing last hitting so would it be better to begin by learnint a support hero?

So I guess I still play againts bots for a while or should I just start playing unranked?

Is there a good Discord or other community that suits a beginner like me?

I feel like BSJs guide is great for someone in your shoes. It's a little too high level for someone brand new to MOBAs but perfect for someone trying to improve.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Purge and merlini had good welcome to dota type stuff, but those vids are at least half a decade or older at this point and would be extremely dated as a result. BSJ has kinda taken that mantle now for learning dota type stuff.

Purge still uploads lots of gameplay, but I haven't watched any of his stuff in a long time so I have no idea of its still the same type of learning dota content.

Purge's "welcome to dota, you suck" might still be worth checking out even after all this time.

Copper For Lyfe fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 19, 2023

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Bobfromsales posted:

I feel like BSJs guide is great for someone in your shoes. It's a little too high level for someone brand new to MOBAs but perfect for someone trying to improve.

Thanks for this recommendation! Excactly the kind of advice I was hoping to find. Just got throught the first keybind and last hitting basics videos, and those were already some real eye openers. No more spamming right clicks while trying hit creeps.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

bad_fmr posted:

Thanks for this recommendation! Excactly the kind of advice I was hoping to find. Just got throught the first keybind and last hitting basics videos, and those were already some real eye openers. No more spamming right clicks while trying hit creeps.

Yay! You are now a top tier dota player!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

4200 Hours logged and I just turned Quick Cast on for the first time.

Can I no longer double tap a key for self-cast? :ohdear:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I have quickcast for spells but not for items because when I switched over I could not for the life of me stop myself from placing wards when I was trying to swap between sentries/obs. I think self-cast still works just fine, but if your cursor is over another valid target it might mess up?

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
I use quick cast and double-tap was too finicky for me so i just started using a modifier key for self cast, i use cntrl, but wtver works for you and your keybinds is fine if you want to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Geight posted:

I have quickcast for spells but not for items because when I switched over I could not for the life of me stop myself from placing wards when I was trying to swap between sentries/obs. I think self-cast still works just fine, but if your cursor is over another valid target it might mess up?

Yea I only have it turned on for Spells right now.
Can't double tap Decrepify for self cast :(

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 26, 2023