Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

I’ll grant my thoughts on Blood may be impacted by the death of an old friend this January who was a beta tester for the game and held it in immensely high regard… but that’s probably too heavy for this thread.

I would like to know more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Doctor Bishop posted:

It'd be nice if they would fix that to work with something other than Fresh Supply.

Does it not work with NBlood? I’ve been running Marrow on NBlood in Linux (on a decidedly uncommon CPU no less) and am more than halfway through so far.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Convex posted:

I would like to know more

He was one of a kind - absolute madman of FPSes, played FEAR on Extreme without using slow motion, 100%ed every Halo game on Legendary as a matter of principle. Loathed Doom Eternal, loved Doom 2016. Deeply intelligent but besieged by personal demons, and finally gave up the fight. I used to talk to him every day, and the silence since then has been awful.

Again, not really the thread for it, but tell your friends you love them.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

He was one of a kind - absolute madman of FPSes, played FEAR on Extreme without using slow motion, 100%ed every Halo game on Legendary as a matter of principle. Loathed Doom Eternal, loved Doom 2016. Deeply intelligent but besieged by personal demons, and finally gave up the fight. I used to talk to him every day, and the silence since then has been awful.

Again, not really the thread for it, but tell your friends you love them.

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like a hell of a guy

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Convex posted:

Thanks for sharing this. :smith:

Yeah. It helps to talk about it, I hope that wasn’t more than you bargained for.

Ion Fury irritated the poo poo out of him, and I pretty much agree - would rather beat Witchaven from start to finish than jump back into it.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Hasturtium posted:

Does it not work with NBlood? I’ve been running Marrow on NBlood in Linux (on a decidedly uncommon CPU no less) and am more than halfway through so far.

Tried it with both NBlood and Raze and neither works.

I got the first map to load by treating it as a regular custom map, but then it crashed as soon as I tried reloading a save.

Seemingly I'm the only one that it doesn't work for at all, but I have seen one other instance of someone not being able to load one of the later maps which the mapper acknowledged as an issue, so I'm hopeful that there will be an update that maybe fixes this issue.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Doctor Bishop posted:

Tried it with both NBlood and Raze and neither works.

I got the first map to load by treating it as a regular custom map, but then it crashed as soon as I tried reloading a save.

Seemingly I'm the only one that it doesn't work for at all, but I have seen one other instance of someone not being able to load one of the later maps which the mapper acknowledged as an issue, so I'm hopeful that there will be an update that maybe fixes this issue.

I hope so too. The only error I ran into in Linux was the case-sensitive file system not wanting to play ball with the MRW0x naming scheme; I manually renamed each map to mrw0x, and since then it’s been fine with ./nblood -ini marrow.ini. Knock on wood… we’ll see if I have any luck in later levels or if it crashes on me.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I picked up Ion Fury at its most recent sale price (£8) but I’m not sure I’ve ever read a positive word about it in this thread..

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Civvie generally liked it but that might have been the novelty of playing a new build game.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

LGR did too, although I guess “look at this cool new thing that looks like an old thing!” might be even more of a thing there.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Hasturtium posted:

I hope so too. The only error I ran into in Linux was the case-sensitive file system not wanting to play ball with the MRW0x naming scheme; I manually renamed each map to mrw0x, and since then it’s been fine with ./nblood -ini marrow.ini. Knock on wood… we’ll see if I have any luck in later levels or if it crashes on me.

That got me thinking about file system poo poo and I finally got it working by... unzipping the folder and pointing Raze at the folder as the "-file" parameter.

Build ports confuse the hell out of me.

e: Oh yeah and also moving all the stuff into the same folder because the original setup was dumb for having the music files separate.

Doctor Bishop fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 11, 2023

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

Yeah. It helps to talk about it, I hope that wasn’t more than you bargained for.

Not at all! It's important to be able to talk through things :)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Doctor Bishop posted:

That got me thinking about file system poo poo and I finally got it working by... unzipping the folder and pointing Raze at the folder as the "-file" parameter.

Build ports confuse the hell out of me.

e: Oh yeah and also moving all the stuff into the same folder because the original setup was dumb for having the music files separate.

It’s weird - Full Supply expects mods to be in their own subfolder, while NBlood just wants Marrow to be unzipped into the root folder with -ini pointing to the INI file. I hadn’t tried Raze yet - it compiled successfully for me but didn’t want to work with my Blood install for some reason. Normally I’d want to get to the bottom of it, but with NBlood working I may not bother…

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Hasturtium posted:

It’s weird - Full Supply expects mods to be in their own subfolder, while NBlood just wants Marrow to be unzipped into the root folder with -ini pointing to the INI file. I hadn’t tried Raze yet - it compiled successfully for me but didn’t want to work with my Blood install for some reason. Normally I’d want to get to the bottom of it, but with NBlood working I may not bother…

I took the original zipped version and moved everything into the same folder inside it and that works fine as well, so yeah, it was all because of the music files not being where they were expected to be.

Goofy that it took me that long to realize but y'know what, it's a goofy problem to have and also I got some bad information to put the files into a folder inside the folder with the maps and such, which definitely didn't help.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bumhead posted:

I picked up Ion Fury at its most recent sale price (£8) but I’m not sure I’ve ever read a positive word about it in this thread..

The original release was okay but marred by issues both in and out of the game. Some people felt the arsenal was lopsided, with redundancies in some areas and gaps in others; the bestiary was stale and leaned too hard on a handful of humanoid enemies; the game dragged on for too long as well.

With the release of the Aftershock DLC, I feel like some of the mechanical issues have been improved by playing the base game in Arranged Mode, but I think that requires picking up the DLC to play.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bumhead posted:

I know this is going to be an extremely lukewarm take for most if not all of this thread, but Blood is loving incredible, isn't it.

For whatever dumb reason I really struggled to get into it at the start after the first couple of chapters of Episode 1, but I'm glad I persisted with it. Episode 2 has been absolutely loving incredible. The intricacy and detail of these mansion/hotel maps is amazing. It's like a haunted house full of traps and mysteries, and such a fun showcase of the interactivity of the Build Engine. It's like Resident Evil dialed up to 11 in the form of a classic FPS.

Episode 2 of Blood is making me super excited for what's next for Cultic. Between them these might end up being my favourites in the genre across both the classic and modern revival side of it.

Oh my friend, when you are done with Blood, check out Deathwish

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Bumhead posted:

Some screenshots of the devs being transphobic and saying other lovely things on their Discord leaked out, which I think has cooled a lot of people's opinions on it.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Bumhead posted:

Ion fury was never a bad game and the DLC and arrange mode are decent. The first three zones of the base campaign are great but it gets uneven from there until the end with zone 4 and knee deep in zone 5 being pretty bland.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Shoehead posted:

Oh my friend, when you are done with Blood, check out Deathwish

Myself I'm waiting on a replay of Deathwish after the next update comes out because they're STILL updating it. I'm seconding this though. Go play Deathwish, and then when the next version comes out, play that too (because it's a long way off and you shouldn't wait)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Bumhead posted:

Ion Fury is pretty divisive. It's a fantastic looking game and a lot of it is genuinely fun but people were burned by the devs being poo poo people (read: transphobic) which I'm sure someone better informed can tell you about. As far as the game itself goes, main complaints are that there's too little enemy variety, some iffy map design leaning on build engine verisimilitude over gameplay, and weapons are good, but with a lot of redundancy. If you've already got it it's worth a play IMO it's far from a joyless experience but I'd say that the people who dislike are just more vocal about it than the people who like it. I don't think it has any good reason to be anyone's favorite game but it's got plenty of reasons to be someone's least favorite game.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Following the development updates on Deathwish makes it seem like 2.0 is going to be less an update and more a sequel/redux at this point, so playing the current version is definitely worthwhile because of how utterly different the next is going to be.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The DLC for Ion Fury seems better than the base game, from what I've seen on some videos.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Turin Turambar posted:

The DLC for Ion Fury seems better than the base game, from what I've seen on some videos.

It definitely is, yeah.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Doctor Bishop posted:

Following the development updates on Deathwish makes it seem like 2.0 is going to be less an update and more a sequel/redux at this point, so playing the current version is definitely worthwhile because of how utterly different the next is going to be.

Yeah a full touch up of the og episodes and one new one.. Almost makes me want to play it again for Halloween

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
At the risk of losing all my nerd cred, I've never played Blood.

What's the best way to get into it nowadays? Buy the assets on Steam and use a custom modern engine like we do for Doom? I'm on linux fwiw.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Serephina posted:

What's the best way to get into it nowadays? Buy the assets on Steam and use a custom modern engine like we do for Doom? I'm on linux fwiw.

Buy the assets on Steam and either compile NBlood or Raze, install Java to run BuildGDX, or use Proton to run Fresh Supply. It’ll probably chug for a few minutes at startup while it compiles shaders, but it’ll run nicely afterward. You can even be a vintage sicko and run DOSbox, then point it at Blood. Options aplenty!

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Bumhead posted:

I know this is going to be an extremely lukewarm take for most if not all of this thread, but Blood is loving incredible, isn't it.

For whatever dumb reason I really struggled to get into it at the start after the first couple of chapters of Episode 1, but I'm glad I persisted with it. Episode 2 has been absolutely loving incredible. The intricacy and detail of these mansion/hotel maps is amazing. It's like a haunted house full of traps and mysteries, and such a fun showcase of the interactivity of the Build Engine. It's like Resident Evil dialed up to 11 in the form of a classic FPS.

Episode 2 of Blood is making me super excited for what's next for Cultic. Between them these might end up being my favourites in the genre across both the classic and modern revival side of it.

Be warned though the map quality does drop after episode 2. The maps just don't have the same level of detail and are forgettable. If you feel like you are getting bored with it, feel free to skip to Cryptid Passage and Death Wish.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Serephina posted:

Fresh Supply is the easiest / best, as it's the usual quality Night Dive remaster for modern systems. It also has a custom difficulty mode which I think the hivemind agrees is the way to go to tone down the 360 no scope hitscan enemies.

Unfortunately comes with a bit of a caveat for Linux; there's a bug that requires you to grab one of the Kex engine files from a different Night Dive release, as it stutters like all hell via proton. Note this may have been fixed by either ND or a proton update since. Currently phone posting so not 100% of which file it is but can check later

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Serephina posted:

Fresh Supply on Steam or GOG is the easiest way, and it has the awesome custom difficulty mode, but there's a few additional bugs that have sat unfixed due to the bureaucracy of the era, like the aforementioned Steam Deck incompatibility. Raze is by the GZDoom team and has most of the creature comforts of that port, also making it a great option for vanilla play. NBlood has some extended mapping functionality which is required for some recent custom mapsets (not death wish though because death wish's author has sanity issues and made the whole thing in dosbox iirc?!?!?!?)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

The Kins posted:

Fresh Supply on Steam or GOG is the easiest way, and it has the awesome custom difficulty mode, but there's a few additional bugs that have sat unfixed due to the bureaucracy of the era, like the aforementioned Steam Deck incompatibility. Raze is by the GZDoom team and has most of the creature comforts of that port, also making it a great option for vanilla play. NBlood has some extended mapping functionality which is required for some recent custom mapsets (not death wish though because death wish's author has sanity issues and made the whole thing in dosbox iirc?!?!?!?)

I mean, that latter point is definitely the way to ensure it works in old-fashioned DOS Blood… it’s like designing for Chocolate Doom and pushing the vanilla engine to the limit.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Funny thing about Blood is that since the source code was lost, every "port" is in fact a reconstruction, either reverse-engineering the game based on its differences from Duke 3D's source code (NBlood, Raze, BloodGDX) or remaking it in another engine entirely (Fresh Supply).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish Nightdive would do a Doom/II remaster but I'm guessing the Unity port is probably considered 'good enough' by Bethesda. :(

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bumhead posted:

I've said plenty good about it and I don't even consider it bad. Just way too long and with an enemy roster that annoys and/or bores me. On a technical level I think it's a masterpiece and I like the weapons (though some don't). It's fine. 8 pounds is about a perfect price for it, converted it's almost exactly what I paid for it

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Doctor Bishop posted:

Funny thing about Blood is that since the source code was lost, every "port" is in fact a reconstruction, either reverse-engineering the game based on its differences from Duke 3D's source code (NBlood, Raze, BloodGDX) or remaking it in another engine entirely (Fresh Supply).

It wasn't lost, it was in the hands of Matt Saettler the whole time. He threw hints at reverse engineering devs on IRC now and again.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

koren posted:

The first three zones of the base campaign are great but it gets uneven from there until the end with zone 4 and knee deep in zone 5 being pretty bland.

This here is one of my biggest problems with the game, I have absolutely no idea what you mean. The levels all just run into one another and don't have nearly the requisite identifying character they should have. It feels like they attempted something like Half Life but whiffed it entire. Like say what you will about on a rail but you know when it starts and also when it's over. Hell I can't remember how long it's been since playing a runthrough (it may even have been this year, I'm pretty sure I did Blue shift), but I could run through huge chunks of the game right now in my head. And for a build engine game, that honestly feels like a mortal sin. Rather the levels be short, sweet and discrete.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Unfortunately comes with a bit of a caveat for Linux; there's a bug that requires you to grab one of the Kex engine files from a different Night Dive release, as it stutters like all hell via proton.
It's just SDL2.dll. You can grab the latest version from libsdl's releases page.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish Nightdive would do a Doom/II remaster but I'm guessing the Unity port is probably considered 'good enough' by Bethesda. :(

Honest question: what is there for Nightdive to do that the Unity port doesn’t do already?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Arivia posted:

Honest question: what is there for Nightdive to do that the Unity port doesn’t do already?
Proper gyro-aim support when using a Split Pad Pro (or other third-party handheld controllers) on a Switch.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

TOOT BOOT posted:

It is good enough. :colbert:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Proper gyro-aim support when using a Split Pad Pro (or other third-party handheld controllers) on a Switch.
That would be quite an engineering challenge considering the Split Pad Pro don't have gyroscopes in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

This here is one of my biggest problems with the game, I have absolutely no idea what you mean. The levels all just run into one another and don't have nearly the requisite identifying character they should have. It feels like they attempted something like Half Life but whiffed it entire. Like say what you will about on a rail but you know when it starts and also when it's over. Hell I can't remember how long it's been since playing a runthrough (it may even have been this year, I'm pretty sure I did Blue shift), but I could run through huge chunks of the game right now in my head. And for a build engine game, that honestly feels like a mortal sin. Rather the levels be short, sweet and discrete.

When I replayed the main campaign last week--granted it was with the maps mirrored in Arranged mode--I had almost no recollection of 70 or 80% of them. In fact, it took somebody pointing out that Arranged mode mirrored the maps before I even realized that was the case, and by then I was on the 7th or 8th map.