Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Goa'uld genetic memory probably makes them more stagnant as well. Imagine if boomers gave birth to more boomers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Goa'uld genetic memory probably makes them more stagnant as well. Imagine if boomers gave birth to more boomers.

This is how Ra did it for 3000 years and by gum that's how we'll do it!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah, they're called Gen "Wormhole" X"-treme"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's been a long time since I watched SG-1, but wouldn't that partly be explainable because the Goa'uld steal technology and culture and everything else, and aren't very creative on their own? Like some of the system lords are more clever and planful than most, but maybe that little bit of creativity is what made them rise to the top of the power hierarchy in the first place?

I should really do a rewatch - it's been a long time.

E: fixed typo

they also have spaceships and all know where each other live so invading other goauld through stargates isn't their primary means of fighting. It just isn't a big enough problem to require anything other than having some guys stand guard there. For earth, though, they initially don't know where it even is in space and when they figure that out and try to invade it from space they get owned because there's some ancient bullshit there that blows up all their ships, and even if there wasn't there's literally millions of soldiers on the planet with weaponry comparable to their own that will be stirred up like a giant hornet's nest. The stargate, on the other hand, leads directly into the most secure facility of the relatively small earth-based group that is actually relevant to you as an evil space alien. They've just got different priorities: having an iris on their gates barely matters to the goauld but for the SGC it's an incredibly effective defence against almost any attack.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Goa'uld invading Earth and getting the poo poo kicked out of them a la Turtledove's The Road Not Taken would have been extremely funny

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's pretty funny that not only do Star Trek and Star Wars exist in the SG-1 universe, but so does MacGuyver, which opens up a whole bunch of questions.

Spoilers for a season 9 episode:

The one where Vala comes back to the SGC and relates how she got pregnant, but without having sex, and then asks if they've ever heard of a child being conceived without sex before.

Long pause (the obvious answer is "Jesus", but no one says it).....
And then Teal'c answers with "Darth Vader"

I lol'd.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

redshirt posted:

It's pretty funny that not only do Star Trek and Star Wars exist in the SG-1 universe, but so does MacGuyver, which opens up a whole bunch of questions.

Spoilers for a season 9 episode:

The one where Vala comes back to the SGC and relates how she got pregnant, but without having sex, and then asks if they've ever heard of a child being conceived without sex before.

Long pause (the obvious answer is "Jesus", but no one says it).....
And then Teal'c answers with "Darth Vader"

I lol'd.

Don't SG-1 and the Simpsons both exist in one another's universe? It's like a singularity.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol for a brief moment I was like "wow, I wonder who Luke's mom is, they never really mention it, kinda weird now that I think about it." And then I snapped back to reality where they made several terrible movies on the subject.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Leandros posted:

Don't SG-1 and the Simpsons both exist in one another's universe? It's like a singularity.

Yeah, O'Neill's idea of a good time is beer, fishing, and Simpsons.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Teal’c loving Star Wars is a very cute character point. Of course he’d be into fighting the evil empire in space battles.

Same for O’Neill being into the goofy, consequence-free Simpsons.

It makes so much sense and does help ground the series (and tie it to 90s/00s).

They’re pretty fleshed out characters. Why wouldn’t we know their favourite tv shows, hockey games or system lord deaths?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

well why not posted:

Teal’c loving Star Wars is a very cute character point.

anyone know wtf is up with that fuckin outfit?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'd like to think that's just something Christopher Judge happened to own.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That is the best outfit I’ve ever seen on TV and it’s not even mentioned. He just dressed like a flavourtown cowboy for a pizza night.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'd like to think that's just something Christopher Judge happened to own.

yeah lol

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah, they're called Gen "Wormhole" X"-treme"

i thought this was a gen x joke then i saw this episode lol

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

snergle posted:

i thought this was a gen x joke then i saw this episode lol

No everything was "X-TREME" in marketing at that time.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

pixaal posted:

No everything was "X-TREME" in marketing at that time.

yeah i was alive in the 90s i remember it. the carter was kidnapped episode. that dr is so loving creepy. and i had to rewind it a few times the new nid bad guy saving the symbiote was something i didnt see coming. i look foward to their down fall. carters protege is back as well and i like the whole intar sgc training. that was a neat episode i didnt think they would do something like that. also holy gently caress tealc with a staff rocket launcher. this next episode looks like its gonna be great

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Working through a re-watch, 913 ripple effect was very enjoyable.

“When the time comes, cut the green one!”

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hot take: S1E4 "Emancipation" (the one with Mongols and Carter is taken prisoner and forced to wear a dress and veil, etc), while wildly recognized as the worst episode of the show, is not that bad. It's got an interesting plot, it's neat to see a Mongol culture on another world, and, show-wise, introduced the general structure of the early seasons - Planet of the Week with new cultures and/or aliens, with awareness to a bigger storyline.

Plus I liked how pissed off Carter is for most of the episode.

It's not a great episode by any stretch, but its watchable, and having just watched it yesterday, enjoyable enough.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

redshirt posted:

Hot take: S1E4 "Emancipation" (the one with Mongols and Carter is taken prisoner and forced to wear a dress and veil, etc), while wildly recognized as the worst episode of the show, is not that bad. It's got an interesting plot, it's neat to see a Mongol culture on another world, and, show-wise, introduced the general structure of the early seasons - Planet of the Week with new cultures and/or aliens, with awareness to a bigger storyline.

It's not a great episode by any stretch, but its watchable, and having just watched it yesterday, enjoyable enough.

It's not as bad as THAT episode of ST:TNG

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

vs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol same writer, basically same script, right?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The worst moment of the show is a tie between Carter mentioning macgyver and Carter informing everyone that her genitals are on the inside.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

redshirt posted:

lol same writer, basically same script, right?

holy fuckin poo poo they WERE both written by Katharyn Powers. She had 10 years to think about how horrible Code of Honor was but she still wrote Emancipation

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Carter informing everyone that her genitals are on the inside.

I'm pretty sure this is brought up as a joke and retold during one of the clipshows Wormhole X-treme? Like the fact that it's so terrible.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

I'm pretty sure this is brought up as a joke and retold during one of the clipshows Wormhole X-treme? Like the fact that it's so terrible.

It is, in the episode "200".

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

extreme hot take that episode was so bad i was contemplating not watching more. i do agree with most of your points introduces planet of the week and little lore tid bits but the plot is rear end and the acting is terrible. its also extremely out of character with what the characters were shown to be in the first 3 episodes. carter being the only exception she remains more or less the same.

infact i keep hoping they do a revist to make that right.

snergle fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 11, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

redshirt posted:

200 was such a great episode

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I'm watching the documentary episode right now. There are definitely some good lines.

Dr Jackson is going to die when he sees this!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

200 was such a great episode

It's amazing. Perhaps the funniest episode of the show.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Armacham posted:

I'm watching the documentary episode right now. There are definitely some good lines.

Heroes? With the film crew?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Armacham posted:

What, Again?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

Also the changed timeline in "Moebius".

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

https://propstoreauction.com/lot-de...6key%3Dstargate

https://propstoreauction.com/lot-de...6key%3Dstargate

Jaffa, kree!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

snergle posted:

yeah i was alive in the 90s i remember it. the carter was kidnapped episode. that dr is so loving creepy. and i had to rewind it a few times the new nid bad guy saving the symbiote was something i didnt see coming. i look foward to their down fall. carters protege is back as well and i like the whole intar sgc training. that was a neat episode i didnt think they would do something like that. also holy gently caress tealc with a staff rocket launcher. this next episode looks like its gonna be great

You're gonna meet a fun new character.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

pixaal posted:

It was brought up in the series finale in the alternate reality where she's just a research assistant. She's practicing telling off her boss and she says the genitals on the inside line, then immediately tells herself that is a stupid line.

redshirt posted:

And this episode I guess too, don't remember it in there

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

If it doesn't come with the snake helmet, what's the point

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

MakaVillian posted:

If it doesn't come with the snake helmet, what's the point

They're apparently a bit dangerous, the snapping-close effect gets really close to the actor's face

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

They're apparently a bit dangerous, the snapping-close effect gets really close to the actor's face

Their symbiote can heal them

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

only after Kelno'reem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

only after Kelno'reem

This guy Jaffa's