Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

its not arbitary. If you can't tell the difference between a Preservation and Hunt class, I don't know what to tell you.
you can call Blade an abundance character if you want, but that's not what he is. Erudition is suppose to be king AoE, but all but one sucks at it. The rest are set on conditionals with low multipliers. While every destruction Blade and Jingliu can spam it at will. (and for practically free or 0 net SP, while Erudition are more skill hungry than hunt characters)
i mean, i can tell the difference between preservation and hunt class, but there's no particular reason super dan heng is destruction and not erudition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Radical posted:

They've put a fair bit of effort into mapping out how well JY performs vs Kafka in a team enviornment on the Chinese forums (JY is a lot more popular than Kafka in China it seems) and the conclusion is that JY is currently a bit better but Kafka will probably eventually outpace him if/when DoT teams get a bit more love.

In the English speaking community JY was not terribly popular and the quick math on individual damage was that Kafka was superior and he pretty quickly turned into a meme but he is very team reliant so I don't think this was really fair. I always found him to be pretty good when I borrowed him from other players.

The opposite could also happen and Erudition gets more support since they're not terribly loved right now and JY becomes clearly the better investment. Or maybe they end up equal. Might as well roll for whoever you like since you can't predict these things.

People seem weirdly particular as to what your exact specific opinion on JY's performance ought to be in outside of places like the SA thread is all I know. I did get the sense that he's something of a meme or polarizing character performance wise in the English community though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The difference between destruction aoe and erudition aoe is actually that destruction "always" pays to aoe, whereas Erudition gets it for free (and can pay for it if they like).

Sure they sometimes require a little setup. But Himeko's auto aoe when enough stamina breaks occur, Herta spinning, Serval hitting everyone with her basic attack if they have a shock debuff from her. Qingque can get lucky and not need to draw on her turn.

Jing Yuan's lightning lord is also "free".

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 11, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zurai posted:

Yeah, agreed. She's not a shining ivory paladin, but she's also not a cackling, irredeemable villain. She does what she believes to be right by the people she's sent against, but she's still an active agent of a capitalist hellhole empire. Self-confidence and self-assurance pours of her, but she's also got a lot of sincerity, and she's able to admit when she's wrong (at least when she gets her face rubbed in it). It's a better middle ground than I expected.

Also, she's good friends with Asta according to her lines on the Express.

I think the patch makes a pretty clear case that she's a straight up villain. She's trying to do what she considers to be the lesser of two evils for the people of Belobog, but her solution still involves eternal debt slavery for the entire population, and she intentionally uses lovely emotional manipulation tactics to try to force the deal home. When you directly confront her about it and tell her to gently caress off, her response is to go "oh well, called my boss for permission to kill you, no hard feelings".

But that's what makes her interesting and cool. She's absolutely evil, but not a pure cartoon villain; she's still animated by some warped shreds of empathy and compassion. She feels bad for the Belobogians and wants to do right by them, but completely and wholly within the framework of her corporate worldview, and any other outcome is unacceptable and to be met with lethal force. The ending to the whole mess that causes Topaz to take the L and back off isn't "we threw out this insane 700 year old debt that the IPC had already written off anyway", it's "Topaz agrees to press her bosses to allow the Belobogians to begin paying their insane 700 year old debt instead of getting their planet looted outright only because the Astral Express effectively cosigns their loan".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 11, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kanos posted:

I think the patch makes a pretty clear case that she's a straight up villain. She's trying to do what she considers to be the lesser of two evils for the people of Belobog, but her solution still involves eternal debt slavery for the entire population, and she intentionally uses lovely emotional manipulation tactics to try to force the deal home. When you directly confront her about it and tell her to gently caress off, her response is to go "oh well, called my boss for permission to kill you, no hard feelings". Hell, the implication is the only reason why she didn't have you killed earlier for getting in the way is because she needed permission to attack the Astral Express first.

But that's what makes her interesting and cool. She's absolutely evil, but not a pure cartoon villain; she's still animated by some warped shreds of empathy and compassion. She feels bad for the Belobogians and wants to do right by them, but completely and wholly within the framework of her corporate worldview, and any other outcome is unacceptable and to be met with lethal force. The ending to the whole mess that causes Topaz to take the L and back off isn't "we threw out this insane 700 year old debt that the IPC had already written off anyway", it's "Topaz agrees to press her bosses to allow the Belobogians to begin paying their insane 700 year old debt instead of getting their planet looted outright only because the Astral Express effectively cosigns their loan".

It's sort of gently caress you got mine, capitalism did good by me so it'll do good by you thinking at the best of intentions, but she's still probably ultimately going to end up at worst a lawful neutral type associate of the Astra Express. The fact that as far as the IPC goes she's seen as something of a soft touch by her higher ups kind of tells one all they need to know about the faction. In any case the quest kind of establishes in a way how they are basically Tencent and why they're kind of a dangerous powerful faction. In terms of space opera it's kind of like the spacing guild in Dune before Muad'dib's Jihad. They let the great houses with their big loyal armies, planetary holdings, capital ships, Mentat's and what not think they have all the power and influence while casually running the all pivotal means of interplanetary travel as a Trump card over all them. Without the spacing guilds continuing cooperation of it's navigators none of the Emperor's or various Dukes and Baron's ships can move against anybody or anything so despite all appearance they hold the balance of power over all of them ultimately.

In this case the IPC built the robots that everybody is using so Topaz can just effortlessly turn them against Gepard for example. They also built the currency system, the means of transaction for it, the calendar system of the universe, seemingly every form of entertainment and gaming in the known universe is also run by them as well much like Tencent's total vertical and horizontal integration monopoly's in China. They also appear to have a private army as well and even run the news, so they can spin any story to fit their narrative if they want in situations like the one in the recent story arc and make the people of Belebog seem like the antagonists in the dispute if they so chose.

When it comes time to confront the Preservation and Qlipoth I imagine we'll see them come into play the most.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Kanos posted:

I think the patch makes a pretty clear case that she's a straight up villain. She's trying to do what she considers to be the lesser of two evils for the people of Belobog, but her solution still involves eternal debt slavery for the entire population, and she intentionally uses lovely emotional manipulation tactics to try to force the deal home. When you directly confront her about it and tell her to gently caress off, her response is to go "oh well, called my boss for permission to kill you, no hard feelings".

I don't disagree, although I think it's a little more nuanced than that.

Topaz genuinely believed that this was the best option open to Belobog. It obviously wasn't from an outside perspective, but she herself admitted to drawing too strong a connection between her own history and what happened on Belobog. That's a very, very human kind of mistake to make. She reacted so strongly to efforts to stop her because, from her perspective, it was dooming an entire planet to needless, painful, drawn-out death. Her perspective is absolutely flawed, and she realized that at the end, but if you limit your variables to that, it's an understandable stance to take.

And I genuinely doubt that she had the authority to forgive the loan or the pull to get her superiors to do so. The little bit at the end with the conference call strongly implies that she's actually kind of low on the executive totem pole, even before her demotion. There are at least three ranks above her, and it's clear from the whole thing that she's essentially a high-powered errand girl who's trusted to get excellent results but who doesn't really get included in the decision-making process.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Topaz is a true believer in the IPC, and that's what makes her so terrifying. She truly believes she is a hero, rescuing worlds from destruction and making everyone's lives better in the process. She probably believes the 20% of worlds she worked on that didn't get better aren't an indictment or the Strategic Investment system, but rather a personal failing on her part. The IPC cannot fail, it can only be failed.

She does every horrible action she does with a content conscience, and that's frankly way, way more scary than the most power-hungry, money-grubbing cynic.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zurai posted:

I don't disagree, although I think it's a little more nuanced than that.

Topaz genuinely believed that this was the best option open to Belobog. It obviously wasn't from an outside perspective, but she herself admitted to drawing too strong a connection between her own history and what happened on Belobog. That's a very, very human kind of mistake to make. She reacted so strongly to efforts to stop her because, from her perspective, it was dooming an entire planet to needless, painful, drawn-out death. Her perspective is absolutely flawed, and she realized that at the end, but if you limit your variables to that, it's an understandable stance to take.

And I genuinely doubt that she had the authority to forgive the loan or the pull to get her superiors to do so. The little bit at the end with the conference call strongly implies that she's actually kind of low on the executive totem pole, even before her demotion. There are at least three ranks above her, and it's clear from the whole thing that she's essentially a high-powered errand girl who's trusted to get excellent results but who doesn't really get included in the decision-making process.

Yeah, she absolutely doesn't have the personal power to get the loan forgiven or forgotten, but the point is that she doesn't even consider that an option to attempt to strive for, because she's completely bought into the inevitability of the IPC's dominance. She also doesn't consider things like the injustice behind calling in hidden debts from centuries ago that were explicitly already written off, because the IPC is always right! Topaz's empathy for the Belobogians materially goes only as far as their willingness to follow her proposal to the letter, and if they refuse she will take anything valuable or worthwhile they own as collateral, and if they resist she will kill them.

I don't think it's accidental that this plotline takes place on Jarilo, the planet where we already had Cocolia, a villain who had the absolute best of intentions and wanted to save everyone from from seemingly inevitable doom but was 100% convinced that the only way forward was for everyone to sell themselves body and soul to an all-powerful evil force for survival, and when you beat her it turns out that the doom wasn't so inevitable after all.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 11, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Topaz mission done. Pretty okay prologue.
I would have took the offer.

The theme of everyone in the upper organization have names of stones and jewels is neat. I do find it amusing that its a big world decision for ice planet, but to the ICP, it was just a meh drop in the bucket actually for them.

Considering the low punishment for Topaz. I mean she said it in the beginning, they already wrote it off as a dead debt. And Bronya still promised to pay it back 'eventually' So they still got them to agree to pay it all back lol. Not to mention they can still charge interest on the principle. So its all free income for them. Its actually a better deal for the ICP, now they don't have to pay an entire planet's generations wages/healthcare/insurance/training.
Its not like it was slavery, they just agree to be employed into the same company. They will still get paid for whatever job role they can qualify for, along with the appropriate compensation. I for one, would be grateful for that kind of job security. And not have to worry about my kids finding work. Versus a place where the only jobs are...mining and being a soldier? Its a huge galactic company, they have all sorts of fields for the planet to sign onto. If any people want to pursue medical fields, engineering, cooking or coding, they can do it at ICP.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GateOfD posted:

Topaz mission done. Pretty okay prologue.
I would have took the offer.

The theme of everyone in the upper organization have names of stones and jewels is neat. I do find it amusing that its a big world decision for ice planet, but to the ICP, it was just a meh drop in the bucket actually for them.

Considering the low punishment for Topaz. I mean she said it in the beginning, they already wrote it off as a dead debt. And Bronya still promised to pay it back 'eventually' So they still got them to agree to pay it all back lol. Not to mention they can still charge interest on the principle. So its all free income for them. Its actually a better deal for the ICP, now they don't have to pay an entire planet's generations wages/healthcare/insurance/training.
Its not like it was slavery, they just agree to be employed into the same company. They will still get paid for whatever job role they can qualify for, along with the appropriate compensation. I for one, would be grateful for that kind of job security. And not have to worry about my kids finding work. Versus a place where the only jobs are...mining and being a soldier? Its a huge galactic company, they have all sorts of fields for the planet to sign onto. If any people want to pursue medical fields, engineering, cooking or coding, they can do it at ICP.

It's absolutely slavery. If you read the descriptions of the IPC soldiers in combat they're basically press ganged into eternal debt slavery where they have to buy their own equipment and ammunition and pay for their room and board on IPC ships. If their equipment gets damaged they have to pay to repair/replace it, and god help you if you can't afford it. It's a deliberate reference to real life company towns of the past, where the company provides all your necessities but forces you into dependence on them so you can't ever escape or rise up because you never have any power or resources that are your own. What if the company assigns you a job you hate or don't want? What if they decide that they're going to ship you away from your friends and family to Planet Bumfuck Nowhere because they need more warm bodies there? You don't have a choice, your whole planet signed the contract and they own you.

The theme is the same as the previous Belobog storyline - freedom and self-determination at the cost of an uncertain and potentially dangerous future, or stability and safety at the cost of becoming a slave.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 11, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It's also very notable this comes the patch after the Aurum Alley event where Sushang tells us about how her home ship let the IPC get a foothold there, and they ended up supplanting the local culture with their own. And also the snotty IPC lady, who dismisses the Alley's local flavor as "backwards" and can't wait for the IPC to buy up and bulldoze the place. Topaz herself hints at this when she looks at the museum's painting, is momentarily touched by them, before snapping back about how much cash they'll go for during the repossession. Belobog wouldn't just be selling their resources and labor, they really would be selling their collective soul as well.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

More importantly, it could all go to poo poo anyway because even IPC ultra-tech and Topaz's management could only get you 80% odds. Bronya was about to sign the dotted line before Himeko warned her that she could sell the whole world into slavery and still get nothing out of it. Meanwhile, the Belobog-made Engine of Creation has been working for centuries and still is - money or not, Topaz was wrong about Jarilo-VI's chances.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Tree Reformat posted:

Topaz is a true believer in the IPC, and that's what makes her so terrifying. She truly believes she is a hero, rescuing worlds from destruction and making everyone's lives better in the process. She probably believes the 20% of worlds she worked on that didn't get better aren't an indictment or the Strategic Investment system, but rather a personal failing on her part. The IPC cannot fail, it can only be failed.

She does every horrible action she does with a content conscience, and that's frankly way, way more scary than the most power-hungry, money-grubbing cynic.

I never got the impression that Topaz was an IPC zealot. I do not think the quest chain would have ended the way it did if that were truly the case. She's a lady with a job and sometimes that job has her doing bad things with good intentions. It doesn't have to be much more complex than that if you want to condemn her for being lovely.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Traveller posted:

More importantly, it could all go to poo poo anyway because even IPC ultra-tech and Topaz's management could only get you 80% odds. Bronya was about to sign the dotted line before Himeko warned her that she could sell the whole world into slavery and still get nothing out of it. Meanwhile, the Belobog-made Engine of Creation has been working for centuries and still is - money or not, Topaz was wrong about Jarilo-VI's chances.

Also the snow would be gone in a few generations anyway according to Pela. That still sucks for everyone still alive, but that makes the 80% odds of fixing things right now feel much more short sighted even if the company town aspect wasn't an issue.

Also do note how Topaz's planet got hosed in the first place primarily by it's involvement in galactic capitalism.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

UHD posted:

I never got the impression that Topaz was an IPC zealot. I do not think the quest chain would have ended the way it did if that were truly the case.

Yeah, agreed. She knows she works with some scummy people ("In the IPC - no - even just the Strategic Investment Department - there are plenty of unsavory characters I don't care for. They may be my colleagues, but we're not the same. Take Aventurine for instance... I sincerely hope you never have to deal with him."), she's not blind to it. She believes in making peoples' lives better, and I think there'll be a point in the story where she's forced to choose between that and the IPC and will make the right choice. They're clearly building up to a story arc with the IPC as the main villains, though who knows when that'll end up being. I expect that, when it happens, Topaz will end up working with the Express against the IPC.

Kanos posted:

Topaz's empathy for the Belobogians materially goes only as far as their willingness to follow her proposal to the letter, and if they refuse she will take anything valuable or worthwhile they own as collateral, and if they resist she will kill them.

No, I don't believe this is true at all. She very intentionally avoided hurting the Belobogians. She could've had the robots attack Gepard's troops, but instead they just corralled them to keep them out of her way. There were a lot of implied threats, but the entire reason she took the job even though it was slated for someone much lower on the totem pole than her is because she intended to save Belobog. Slaughtering them all or taking everything the people owned is antithetical to her character. The one time she acted in a hostile manner was very specifically and explicitly limited to the Astral Express, and everything that the IPC was evaluating was planetary and governmental resources (the mine, the robots, the artifacts in the museum), not private property.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Here is a thought regarding Topaz What if the IPC were entirely content to ignore Belobog as the debt had already been written off, someone has to care and specifically bring it up in a capitalist boardroom society for a closed chapter like that to come up again, so what if Topaz lobbied for the Debt to be considered still valid, promising to take care of it, so she could come and give Belobog the choice since she wanted to give their world the chance hers got, effectively dooming Belobog by putting it back on the map

After this update I feel the IPC is a bigger and scarier threat than anything we have come up against. Some Legion thing? Eh plainly the tech and ships exist to hold em off, or just run away if needed. Stellarons? Yeah some worlds get doomed, that is horrific. But the IPC is a debt slaving empire that has in effect already won, their influence is obscene and while some parts of worlds and places will benefit, ENTIRE WORLDS may end up in effective permanent slavery, depending on the conditions they impose on worlds who they can bind in any flimsy pretext, it does not matter if it is fair or right or even obvious bullshit if you are the only meaningful power in the area and can enforce it, have media control, and no one else is gonna risk their neck/economy/tech by opposing you.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Finally a JRPG where the god you kill is just literally capitalism.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

The IPC would be the scariest antagonist faction if we didn't have like, everyone else. The Antimatter Legion are just nope.jpg when they actually try, we've only faced minor skirmishes with them and a single Lord Ravager could've hosed up an entire Xianzhou worldship if Kafka and company hadn't lined up the dominoes exactly against her. For that matter, Xianzhou themselves have left the collective corpses of several Abundance civilizations behind them, and their Aeon is both highly active and heedless of collateral damage. And that's just the factions we've seen in play, who knows what The Family is up to when we go there.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Koboje posted:

Here is a thought regarding Topaz What if the IPC were entirely content to ignore Belobog as the debt had already been written off, someone has to care and specifically bring it up in a capitalist boardroom society for a closed chapter like that to come up again, so what if Topaz lobbied for the Debt to be considered still valid, promising to take care of it, so she could come and give Belobog the choice since she wanted to give their world the chance hers got, effectively dooming Belobog by putting it back on the map

Given the dialogue at the end, I think the implication is that's exactly what happened.

quote:

After this update I feel the IPC is a bigger and scarier threat than anything we have come up against. Some Legion thing? Eh plainly the tech and ships exist to hold em off, or just run away if needed. Stellarons? Yeah some worlds get doomed, that is horrific. But the IPC is a debt slaving empire that has in effect already won, their influence is obscene and while some parts of worlds and places will benefit, ENTIRE WORLDS may end up in effective permanent slavery, depending on the conditions they impose on worlds who they can bind in any flimsy pretext, it does not matter if it is fair or right or even obvious bullshit if you are the only meaningful power in the area and can enforce it, have media control, and no one else is gonna risk their neck/economy/tech by opposing you.

But enough about American Hegemony. :classiclol:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Tree Reformat posted:

Given the dialogue at the end, I think the implication is that's exactly what happened.

No. The debt was written off because everyone though Belobog had been destroyed. Then, once the Stellaron crisis was resolved, there was a cutscene with someone on Belobog establishing contact with the IPC. That's what sparked the IPC to come collect the debt. They didn't need to be "convinced" to do it. You really think a company like the IPC would need to spend even a split second debating not reinstating the debt?

In addition, Aventurine says that he told her not to take the job, that it wasn't worth her time. That goes directly against it being Topaz's idea in the first place.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 11, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zurai posted:

No. The debt was written off because everyone though Belobog had been destroyed. Then, once the Stellaron crisis was resolved, there was a cutscene with someone on Belobog establishing contact with the IPC. That's what sparked the IPC to come collect the debt. They didn't need to be "convinced" to do it. You really think a company like the IPC would need to spend even a split second debating not reinstating the debt?

In addition, Aventurine says that he told her not to take the job, that it wasn't worth her time. That goes directly against it being Topaz's idea in the first place.

It's more how Adventurine was needling Topaz about willingly taking on a "high-risk low-reward" project like Jarili-VI. It's not that they didn't want the debt collected per se, it's that nobody but Topaz wanted to take on the job when there are juicier opportunities to be had instead.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I was waiting for the part of Topaz's backstory where it was revealed the IPC was responsible for instigating the disaster on her home planet they were "saved" from later by them

Since it's grimdark mihoyo...but nah, I was wrong.

At least for now...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zurai posted:

No, I don't believe this is true at all. She very intentionally avoided hurting the Belobogians. She could've had the robots attack Gepard's troops, but instead they just corralled them to keep them out of her way. There were a lot of implied threats, but the entire reason she took the job even though it was slated for someone much lower on the totem pole than her is because she intended to save Belobog. Slaughtering them all or taking everything the people owned is antithetical to her character. The one time she acted in a hostile manner was very specifically and explicitly limited to the Astral Express, and everything that the IPC was evaluating was planetary and governmental resources (the mine, the robots, the artifacts in the museum), not private property.

She didn't have the robots slaughter Gepard's troops because she was still engaged in active negotiations with Bronya, and massacring a bunch of Silvermane Guards would have put a damper on that pretty neatly at the time. Also "planetary and governmental resources"? If the IPC takes the mine and the robots, what is left for the people of Belobog to live with? Their society literally survives on geomarrow extraction - it's what keeps them alive in the apocalyptic eternal winter - and relies heavily on robot assistance for both mining operations and security against the still present fragmentum. Topaz doesn't need to personally steal everyone's TV and every kid's teddy bear to leave the planet completely completely hosed and left to die. I'd also say plundering their cultural artifacts is insanely hosed up behavior.

She acts in an explicitly hostile manner against the Astral Express because they are the ones currently standing up and saying "this is wrong and you should gently caress off with this poo poo". Do you think she wouldn't have Seele hurt or imprisoned if she resisted the IPC? Svarog's entire line of dialogue with her has an undertone of "Even if I tried to stop you I know I would fail".

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Tree Reformat posted:

It's more how Adventurine was needling Topaz about willingly taking on a "high-risk low-reward" project like Jarili-VI. It's not that they didn't want the debt collected per se, it's that nobody but Topaz wanted to take on the job when there are juicier opportunities to be had instead.

But that goes directly against the "Topaz made the whole thing happen" conspiracy theory. She explicitly took the job in place of someone else, she wasn't the reason the job existed in the first place. That's a conspiracy theory that just makes the story flat out worse.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Koboje posted:

The antimatter legion destroyed a galaxy. The radio broadcast did not sound like this was something new.

The denizens of abundance go to planets, do actual slavery, and then drain resources until those planets are uninhabitable rocks.

And the worst is Nous and the genius society.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I can't believe Topaz really has split our thread friendships apart, just as the prophecies foretold...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I honestly love her, she's great.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

She acts in an explicitly hostile manner against the Astral Express because they are the ones currently standing up and saying "this is wrong and you should gently caress off with this poo poo". Do you think she wouldn't have Seele hurt or imprisoned if she resisted the IPC? Svarog's entire line of dialogue with her has an undertone of "Even if I tried to stop you I know I would fail".

You mean Seele who directly attacked the IPC and who Topaz did nothing about? And Svarog's dialogue is because she had the robo-control device, and it would work just as well on him as on the Silvermane Guard bots.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zurai posted:

You mean Seele who directly attacked the IPC and who Topaz did nothing about? And Svarog's dialogue is because she had the robo-control device, and it would work just as well on him as on the Silvermane Guard bots.

Yeah, Seele who directly attacked the IPC and who tells you flat out that a bunch of people had been hurt and everyone had been evicted from their homes by force and then begs you for help in fighting them because she doesn't think the undergrounders can win, and once you help out and beat them up the IPC only retreats because Topaz issues a directive that says "cool it for the time being" because she's still negotiating. If those negotiations fall through, that violence is going to escalate because the undergrounders presumably don't want to starve/freeze to death because a bunch of jackbooted corporate storm troopers are occupying their livelihood and homes.

Also you don't see something hosed up and evil in a conversation where Topaz is effectively saying to Svarog "do everything I say, thanks" with the implication that she will use her magic switch to mind control him and force him to do what she wants if he refuses?

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 12, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tree Reformat posted:

They didn't say no one else wanted to take it, the implication was that someone lower ranking would have done it if she hadn't decided to make it a personal project.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

I can't believe Topaz really has split our thread friendships apart, just as the prophecies foretold...

SA has a lot of hard leftist Leninist-Marxist posters that take this stuff deathly seriously. It was to be expected and I believe I even predicted it some time ago when she was officially announced.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Zurai posted:

Seele attacked the IPC because they muscled they into the mine while supposedly they were holding negotiations and trapped a bunch of miners in there.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

AParadox posted:

Seele attacked the IPC because they muscled they into the mine while supposedly they were holding negotiations and trapped a bunch of miners in there.

Seele didn't have the foggiest idea who they were.

Kanos posted:

Also you don't see something hosed up and evil in a conversation where Topaz is effectively saying to Svarog "do everything I say, thanks" with the implication that she will use her magic switch to mind control him and force him to do what she wants if he refuses?[/spoiler]

I didn't say that. I said that Topaz reacting to a refusal by shrugging and pulling a Palpatine ("Wipe them out. All of them.") would be totally out of character for someone who everyone believes is genuine in saying she wants to help the planet and its people.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

The Name Of The Planet Is "Punklorde"

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Zurai posted:

How does Seele not knowing who are the people that barged through the town, seized the mine and trapped those inside make it any better?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zurai posted:

I didn't say that. I said that Topaz reacting to a refusal by shrugging and pulling a Palpatine ("Wipe them out. All of them.") would be totally out of character for someone who everyone believes is genuine in saying she wants to help the planet and its people.

It's really completely immaterial whether Seele knows who the IPC are or not, because their actions are the same. I don't think Seele would go "oh, those black armored stormtroopers are from the IPC, I see, that means I'm going to let them beat people up and occupy their homes and places of work" if she knew.

As for the latter, Topaz is very clearly hoping for the best while planning for the worst. In her view, the optimal outcome of her plan is that Bronya signs the contract and everyone in Belobog becomes IPC property and then the IPC tries to fix the planet. If Bronya refuses, then they enter into debt collection mode, which is why she's doing things like appraising the art pieces in the museum and figuring out where Belobog's hidden supply of combat robots is located. The entire point is that she wants the former to happen but if the people of Belobog refuse her terms she will absolutely resort to harsher measures. She's not going to gleefully genocide them, but she will take everything they have of significant economic value to settle the debt, and if they resist she will resort to violence to ensure her job gets done. The IPC didn't show up with a bunch of guys with guns and power armor for no reason.

Her menacing Svarog directly hints at this. Cooperate with me and do everything I say and we're good! Resist me and things will become uncomfortable.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 12, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

AParadox posted:

How does Seele not knowing who are the people that barged through the town, seized the mine and trapped those inside make it any better?

Those ICP people did that out of their own volition, and stopped immediately once Topaz found out and said they would get their pay docked.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

If only Topaz had proper leg wear, she’d be the perfect character.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The implication is that Topaz is the "nice one," and the usual IPC MO is far more heavy-handed. She is holding back the engine as much as she can but it is inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Those ICP people did that out of their own volition, and stopped immediately once Topaz found out and said they would get their pay docked.

The fact that Numby was there waiting for us makes me think she likely knew and made the dock pay order to defuse the situation.