Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

... this is a thing in D4?

No. He's talking about d2 and probably confusing other people too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doomykins posted:

All stats are good.

If you stack crit/vuln it'll hit diminishing returns. They're still good until the point of excess.

If all else fails get an even mix of stats and then fill a bucket like +your favorite build-centric damage type and associated(close if melee, distant if not), etc.

I get wanting to know the exact math because nerds but gamer dads you will not have to think in season 2 until you open the blood power menu.

You don't get diminishing returns from stacking one type of +%damage. All pluses from gear go into the additive pool, so it's diminishing returns from any type of damage boost.

e- example:

You have a build that does fire damage to close, stunned enemies. You have 100% extra fire damage from gear and no other sources of additional damage. Your fire spells now do 100% extra damage. You equip another piece of gear that gives you 20% to close. You now do 120% extra damage. You equip a piece of gear that gives you 25% to stunned. You now do 145% extra damage.

Your damage would be exactly the same even if all those pieces of gear said +% fire damage

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 12, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
My hot take is that there wasn't actually a problem with crit and crit damage being the overtly best stats. Vulnerability was a problem but only because it had super deleterious effects on builds and was generally not equally easy for any given class to apply. Crit/damage maybe had knock on effects on devaluing lucky hit and overpower but i have a hard time caring about the crits but different stats being lightly devalued.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I give it 2 seasons before they remove almost every type of conditional damage and just do +% damage

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The different buckets are purposefully built in to increase build diversity, right? And we're locked into this design to reduce the reliance on specific drops, like in D3 builds get "turned on" due to specific items or set pieces?

I mean I'd also like them to just abstract it all away and make it all based on general damage and buffing specific spells/abilities so I don't have to play spreadsheet simulator when I go to salvage every 5 mins.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AlphaKeny1 posted:

The different buckets are purposefully built in to increase build diversity, right? And we're locked into this design to reduce the reliance on specific drops, like in D3 builds get "turned on" due to specific items or set pieces?

I mean I'd also like them to just abstract it all away and make it all based on general damage and buffing specific spells/abilities so I don't have to play spreadsheet simulator when I go to salvage every 5 mins.

Yeah it's to prevent the D3 situation where if certain items didn't roll crit damage or cdr or something then they were garbage. They didn't hit it well since most builds still need to prioritize crit damage. Maybe it'll get better where builds will focus on one but who knows. Tough to balance around so many different inputs.

Oh and items can roll all of them so most ends up being trash anyway.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I gave some thought to what they're doing on paper

in short: increased affix pressure from necessary resists if you plan to push "endgame" (such as it is) combined with slot limited non damage effects (movement speed, damage resist, skill ranks, cdr, etc) will make hunting for perfect gear a bit more drawn out, as it'll create that infuriating/engaging (depending on where you fall in the spreadsheet fandom) loop of juggling your resists every time you get a new upgrade

paragon respecs, resists moved on to the boards and resist gems should make that process easier

also, because ilvl now scales well past the "ok I hit 70 I'll use this gear till 100" point it was at before, and because ilvl drops scale with nmd tiers and some other sources (caches, chests, probably seasonal rewards), it'll be easier to target and acquire meaningful upgrades (with zero trash sacred etc drops, yay)

likewise once your build is online you should be able to farm the new bosses and seasonal stuff and eventually acquire any uniques you need and even some Uber uniques if you're having enough fun to push that far

damage upgrades should actually be more straightforward, because crit and vuln are additive like everything else, you can simply evaluate any given damage affix with a quick "does this apply to what I'm doing with my build?" then if it ain't red it goes on your head

I believe they're moving most multiplicative damage to skill tree, boards, glyphs, and maybe uniques - which is good I think, again it should be a simple "does this work with my build? y? ok do what it says in my gameplay loop to activate it as often as possible"

this may open up more individual builds, it may not (there must always be a lich king, but you don't have to aspire to that throne if you're not creating maximum DPS pogface emoji youtube videos)

I can't actually say if this is good or not yet, impossible to tell until we get our hands on it - I get what they're going for, it's good on paper, it's not a panacea for all of the systemic issues, but it's a good step (major itemization shifts are expansion level changes)

if they can break the current very unappealing gameplay loop problems and keep the carrot tasty until 100 I might even finish this season!!1

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Failboattootoot posted:

My hot take is that there wasn't actually a problem with crit and crit damage being the overtly best stats.

Crit means every gearing option for every class becomes the same with only tiny substat variations, just like D3. Of course turning everything additive also does that, so... yeah it's not like that makes anything more interesting. Vulnerability sucked, as you mentioned, because it locked down skill choices. Of course even when additive some of those choices will be the same because yay damage. Overpower is so class-specific that they could probably just drop it for baseline increases on class skills and no one would notice.

So it's... I dunno, pretty much the same only it's easier to gear because +damage is always +damage? And we don't squish this all down to +damage because, um, diversity?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Abolish crit and lucky strike and every other random damage roll.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
boring

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
remove all damage rolls and make all affixes weird poo poo like +light radius and +character size

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

OctaMurk posted:

remove all damage rolls and make all affixes weird poo poo like +light radius and +character size

time to add Big Head mode

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

only if I can be Al Gore

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The problem is that all that damage calculation modification is done in the items. Having to track those in each individual item is the poo poo part, because it's busywork and dilutes stat pools.

If I was speccing into "dmg vs XYZ" only in my paragon board and skill tree, I'd have complete control over those variables.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lmao this can't be real

skill intensity for visual effects has been bugged since launch?

https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo4/comments/175rm9x/psa_skill_intensity_exists/

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Least we forget that Activision Blizzard is a garbage company. The two Diablo skins for Overwatch 2 are locked behind the highest version of the Battle Pass at 40$.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ov...ers-arent-happy

quote:

Overwatch 2 is getting new skins that clothe Moria and Pharah in the outfits of Diablo 4’s Lilith and Inarius. Those skins are part of a new wave of cosmetics incoming for the game’s Season 7: Rise of Darkness, but they’re not part of the standard premium battle pass. Instead, they’ll cost you another $40 - as much as the whole of Overwatch 1 did when it was first released.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

that game's garbage anyways, spend your money literally anywhere else

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lmao I just tested it, 100% confirmed, saw a completely different effect on my Eternal Barb's main skill

get on horse, unspec skill, respec skill, hop off, use skill

big kaboomies

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

victrix posted:

lmao this can't be real

https://i.imgur.com/KVnDzcE.mp4

victrix posted:

lmao I just tested it, 100% confirmed, saw a completely different effect on my Eternal Barb's main skill

get on horse, unspec skill, respec skill, hop off, use skill

big kaboomies

:stonklol:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Turns out the bones were not, in fact, good.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If you aren't on a horse the game is loading all other players skills, making yours anemic and smol

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

victrix posted:

lmao this can't be real

quote:

Some of the community will be irritated that I’m posting this but it’s been months of gatekeeping which is getting toxic at this point. It’s also pretty annoying watching some of you respond in discord and on here, acting oblivious even though you know better. The community complained and dwindled but you still wanted everyone to keep quiet about it. All just to keep flexing on a few casuals.

wtf is going on with this first paragraph on that post. like there's some poo poo bug but people have been super toxic about it????

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

AlphaKeny1 posted:

wtf is going on with this first paragraph on that post. like there's some poo poo bug but people have been super toxic about it????

have u seen the blizzard fans in this thread?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AlphaKeny1 posted:

what I gathered

the bug has been around since launch

some people figured it out but didn't bother to 'share' it so they could stunt their rad sfx on pubbies (????????)

some people did bother to report it to the bliz vfx guy on twitnerd but he said 'no they're in the game!' which... I mean I guess that's technically true

anyway, loving hilarious - even funnier when I remember they did an entire pre-release featurette on the evolving skills, then it shipped with them essentially non functional and they've been that way for months now

hopefully that thread gets some traction and it gets patched midseason or something, I'd like to see all the cool powers they put time and energy into that we never go to see :cripes:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The Blueprint Jay-Z but make it a weird Diablo poster

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Flexing my slightly blue fire wall on newbs at the world boss

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

victrix posted:

some people did bother to report it to the bliz vfx guy on twitnerd but he said 'no they're in the game!' which... I mean I guess that's technically true

lol if the vfx guy actually played the game you think he'd go "hey wait a second"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tiny Timbs posted:

lol if the vfx guy actually played the game you think he'd go "hey wait a second"

Yeah, this is pretty much my favorite condemnation of the game yet, because it means no one who worked on it actually wants to play it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

That's not a bug that's a Season 3 feature.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Patch notes: you may now only assign your skills to buttons while on horseback

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

External Organs posted:

Patch notes: you may now only assign your skills to buttons while on horseback

Seems legit. Like truly, unironically I would expect this to be in the actual patchnotes.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

victrix posted:

lmao this can't be real

I mean… it’s been pretty obvious

J
Jun 10, 2001

victrix posted:

lmao this can't be real

flexing blue and thick white fiery balls on the plebs

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I definitely remember reading people bringing it up way back when, just seems like it wasn't pursued and wasn't fixed. As someone in that reddit threat pointed out, it's the same thing with all the sword names being off by one and not being fixed either.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Clocks posted:

I definitely remember reading people bringing it up way back when, just seems like it wasn't pursued and wasn't fixed.
Yeah I remember it coming up in this thread and how people on reddit thought it was Blizzard holding out on us so they could sell or release the cool graphics later or something dumb.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I'm guessing anything graphics/visual effects related is on the back burner while they work on dem buckets o' damage stats. I was in the closed beta and it had an option for ray tracing! Maybe D4 will get that feature in 2024 lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Final boss for S3 leaked. Scuttlepot the Denier, Lord of Buckets

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

For real though, they do have an opportunity with the combat dummy to do some good stuff with UI to explain the components that contribute to your damage output. That could be really useful if done well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Vic posted:

Final boss for S3 leaked. Scuttlepot the Denier, Lord of Buckets

This would be unironically very fun and cool.

So definitely not something Blizzard would do.