Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Each gym is a "Biggest" location, with Gigantomax Pokemon. Like we'll have the "Biggest Rock Gym", and it's just a colossal boulder.

The Water Gym is housed inside the Biggest Bucket, etc.

This is required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Nessa posted:

I would prefer thylacine as just a regular pokemon since the thylacine is so recently extinct (and some believe there's still a small population somewhere).

Fossil pokemon should be maybe the the marsupial lion, giant Komodo dragon or giant crocodile. Cool megafauna.

Either would work for me. I just love thylacines and there should be one I can pet and bathe already and feed TimTams dang it.

If it was a Fossil though, since it's so recent, maybe it wouldn't have to be a rock type.

Treecko fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 11, 2023

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
How about a blue dog Pokemon?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a trick to five-star Tera raids. First time trying them, and after failing spectacularly on my own several times, I tried inviting randos for a few attempts and we didn’t do much better. This is vs a gardevoir, is that why?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Video Games Thx posted:

Is there a trick to five-star Tera raids. First time trying them, and after failing spectacularly on my own several times, I tried inviting randos for a few attempts and we didn’t do much better. This is vs a gardevoir, is that why?

What levels are you bringing? 5* are level 75 and have lots of HP so you need a good bulky mon that's a combo of "hits the Tera type super effectively" and "isn't weak to what the mon usually uses". Also when a shield goes up you have to Tera to do any meaningful damage.

Edit: Or a level 100 mon, that also works.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Video Games Thx posted:

what levels are the guys you're sending in? the 5-star tera raid gardevoirs are lvl 75 have Psychic, Moonblast, Disable, and Draining Kiss, with triggers that have it use Misty Terrain, Calm Mind, and Psychic Terrain at different points during the fight

Most people getting into raids (especially Solo) will want a Huge Power ability on a lvl100 Azumarill with belly drum holding a Shell Bell with Hypertraining and maxed HP / ATK EVs. This or an Iron Hands with belly drum and shell bell will let you solo a LOT of raids if you don't want to rely on randos

For ones like this Gardevoir raid, I would suggest sending in something with an attack that lowers the targets SpATK, like Mystic Fire or Spirit Break. Light Screen would help, too, just mind their Disable and have more than one attack ready to use on your guy

Chip damage attacks that debuff 100% of the time are ideal for a support raider online!

Oh yeah and you have to attack with a Tera-boosted elemental attack of your Tera type to get extra damage bonii vs the Shield

Akumeoy
Aug 6, 2022

extremely large and incredibly huge

Video Games Thx posted:

Gardevoir is difficult, but at a 5-star level it's theoretically winnable. You can look up individual mons here to see what you're up against in any particular raid. Some general thoughts:

Getting KOed eats time and resets your boosts, so your top concern should be survival. The optimal mon for a given fight will have good bulk and all the appropriate resistances, plus some way to recover HP. Terastalize on-type to something that resists the enemy's strongest moves and can hit them super-effectively.

Try to attack as often as possible -- you'll need to terastalize to power through the enemy's shield, and you have to use an attacking move a few times to enable terastalization. Attacking moves that can boost your stats (Torch Song), lower the enemy's (Acid Spray), or recover your HP (Drain Punch) are good for this, because you have to spend less time doing stuff that doesn't get you closer to tera.

If you're just starting out with five-star raids, you might not have a mon in your box that can handle the fight at all. I got around this problem by training up like a hundred dedicated Tera fighters so I'm prepared for (almost) any raid, but if you're sane, you can just put together a few mons and choose your battles wisely. Namely, I would consider the following to be essentials:

- Belly Drum + Drain Punch Iron Hands
- Belly Drum Azumarill with Shell Bell
- Belly Drum + Guts + Flame Orb Ursaluna
- Acid Spray + Parabolic Charge Bellibolt

Ursaluna's kind of an outlier because it can't really sustain itself, but Facade does so much damage after a Belly Drum that it's totally worth it.

punct
Jan 9, 2022
For stacks that have more coordination, is it ever worth running a support mon with shields/heals?
Found some use with them when the randoms first-pick belly drum users

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Support? Yes that's all I bring to 6-stars

Gardevoir gets Misty Terrain (status protection), Reflect/LightScreen, Heal Pulse (+50%HP heal targeting ally), and Mystic Fire for debuffing SpATK 1stage per attack, even through shields

Armarouge is even more busted defensively, and can learn Mystic Fire, the screens, Acid Spray, AND Clear Smog

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 12, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Lux Anima posted:

Armarouge is even more busted defensively, and can learn Mystic Fire, the screens, Acid Spray, AND Clear Smog

Lava Plume to fish for burns through the shield, too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Australian starter evo chain; Quokka > Wallaby > Kangaroo. (Fire)

The other two can be a Platypus (Water) and a Wombat (Grass)

Funky Valentine posted:

Regional variant of Sinistea that's a haunted beer can.

Nah, it'd be coffee and predominantly found in the South-East area of the map as a Dark type.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Champion position is open because the previous Champion went swimming one day and was never seen again.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

The Champion position is open because the previous Champion went swimming one day and was never seen again.

But the Water Gym is named in their honour.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

https://twitter.com/playpokemon/status/1712275646972412322

Some bug fixes were made for Scarlet and Violet

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/OoCPokemon/status/1712356591704645848

What do you MEAN it's been 10 years??

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

:cloud:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yo but for real shoutout to the last well-optimized 3D mailnile title. While undercooked and feeling unfinished at parts, X and Y were a monumental step forward over BW/2 and I enjoyed them immensely. Even though people put more praise in SuMo, I have returned to PokeFrance a lot more than I did to PokeHawai. We didn't know how good we had it. The designs were great and new mechanics and moves did a lot to shake up the formula in a fun way, and X/Y need to be recognized for that.

Plus having this banger be the final track in the Team Flare Music Evolution Line was very much worth it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

One of my least favorite Pokemon games tbh but still mostly ok.

The formula just works y'know

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kikas posted:

Yo but for real shoutout to the last well-optimized 3D mailnile title. While undercooked and feeling unfinished at parts, X and Y were a monumental step forward over BW/2 and I enjoyed them immensely. Even though people put more praise in SuMo, I have returned to PokeFrance a lot more than I did to PokeHawai. We didn't know how good we had it. The designs were great and new mechanics and moves did a lot to shake up the formula in a fun way, and X/Y need to be recognized for that.

Plus having this banger be the final track in the Team Flare Music Evolution Line was very much worth it.

lol what, X/Y weren't well optimized they chugged in even double battles. And definitely wasn't a huge step forward from B/W2.

Megas were cool though, bring those back.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
X/Y was probably my low point of Pokemon, I was just... burnt out at that point. Like there were some okay bits but there were a lot of parts that didn't click with me, like Lumiose City being way too big, Team Flare being a waste of an 'actually villainous' team, and Malva being an actually villainous Elite Four team member that... meant nothing.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

X/Y are the first games where they realised with so many Pokémon they can just give you real variety from the start, for that alone I like them a lot.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
the postgame stuff with Looker was good

e: we found out Looker is Dutch (in the english games)

punct
Jan 9, 2022
X/Y showed some growing pains with game freak transitioning to full 3D

I liked USUM and B/W more, but can’t ignore gen 6 bringing us fairy type and megas (for a little bit). Plus ORAS was one of the better remake games.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
ORAS in vacuum was a good game, but I think as remakes HGSS was the best (and I feel like FRLG were better remakes, but that might be nostalgia goggles).

But that might just be me really missing the Battle Frontier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just wish they'd give us Let's Go Gold/Silver :sigh:.

And give us an Apricorn or Great Ball controller to go with it, Gamefreak :shepspends:.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If they're gonna make another mobile pseudo-gacha, they should make it Pokeathlon. Make it another exercise-based app like Go.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ORAS was really good. One of the top pokemon games imo

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I was around for XY but skipped ORAS because broke university student, which is a shame because Megas are probably my favourite generation gimmick and I would have liked to have messed around with them more in Hoenn.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
X/Y are solidly my favorite pokemon entries outright; megas were the best generational gimmick, all mons introduced in gen 6 are rock solid designs, it introduced clothes, catching exp, wonder trade, amie, super training and had the best system for connecting to/interacting with randos

It's the only pokemon game i ever completed the dex in and bred a team for wifi

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
my fondest memory of X is maxing out the points on the tile swapping mini game in amie

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

ORAS in vacuum was a good game, but I think as remakes HGSS was the best (and I feel like FRLG were better remakes, but that might be nostalgia goggles).

But that might just be me really missing the Battle Frontier.

HGSS are somehow the only remakes to include the content added by the third version and I don't understand why

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They did Zygarde dirty by ramming its gimmick into Sun/Moon. There should have been a Z version.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Man posted:

They did Zygarde dirty by ramming its gimmick into Sun/Moon. There should have been a Z version.

I'm fairly positive there was going to be since both the anime and manga adaptions of XY used Zygarde. Not sure why it ultimately didn't happen though

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ORAS
HGSS
BW2
XY
SuMo
USuMo
PLA
RS
FRLG
ScarVio
BW
DP
GS
RG
LGPE
SwSh
BDSP

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 14, 2024

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like if you make a list like that you have to include Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum to see how they stack up to the remakes.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sword Shield is fun

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

XY had its downsides. Weak story and rivals and obviously unfinished world and I felt the new Pokémon had low encounter rates.

But overall, it had a lot of great parts. A fantastic set of new Pokémon, Fairy type, Pokémon Amie, fashion, the Looker post-game, Wonder trade, and the PSS system was a great way to connect with other players. I have no idea why we haven’t gotten something as straightforward as the PSS was.

I think Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde are great legendary designs too, especially after Kyurem, Reshiram, Zekrom, Dialga, and Palkia.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nessa posted:

XY had its downsides. Weak story and rivals and obviously unfinished world and I felt the new Pokémon had low encounter rates.

But overall, it had a lot of great parts. A fantastic set of new Pokémon, Fairy type, Pokémon Amie, fashion, the Looker post-game, Wonder trade, and the PSS system was a great way to connect with other players. I have no idea why we haven’t gotten something as straightforward as the PSS was.

I think Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde are great legendary designs too, especially after Kyurem, Reshiram, Zekrom, Dialga, and Palkia.

What about Giratina

punct
Jan 9, 2022

Video Games Thx posted:

Sword Shield is fun

I really liked sword/shield, which made me even more disappointed at the graphics and performance of scarlet/violet.

Though I get that game freak can't make a big transition (this time to a huge overworld & seamless battle/world transition) without bugs and issues along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You know those yellow ducklings that spin around a confused pokemon's head... Are those pokemon?