Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Xlorp posted:

Now I wonder exactly what kind of barbarian-themed TTRPG allows improvised armored personnel carriers. Conan / Lost Worlds x/over?

It was a Dark Heresy game. “Barbarian” was shorter than “feral worlder who thinks he’s an ork”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Bashez posted:

The footage coming out of Avdiivka is mind boggling. Russia has (had?) significantly more reserves than the optimists, like myself, had thought. It will take a few days to get a clearer picture of how much land they were able to take but they have thrown away so many men and materiel.

It will be a long time before Russia runs out of material and manpower, they have already shown again and again how quickly they can reconstitute forces. The question should be what quality/experience these forces have, and based on those videos it does not look to good.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Bashez posted:

The footage coming out of Avdiivka is mind boggling. Russia has (had?) significantly more reserves than the optimists, like myself, had thought. It will take a few days to get a clearer picture of how much land they were able to take but they have thrown away so many men and materiel.
From one of the other Ukraine threads:

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

In actual Ukrainian news Russia has been making a lot of questionable pushes into Ukrainian defenses around Avdiivka and its not going so great for them it seems.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1712341762860032128
That’s quite a lot of stuff to lose in one area in two days. I also find the breakdown of causes quite interesting. A lot of FPV drones hitting softer targets (obviously getting video proof of those is easier, but still).

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

It was a Dark Heresy game. “Barbarian” was shorter than “feral worlder who thinks he’s an ork”.

I believe the lore term is "digga" and no, I'm not kidding.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

DTurtle posted:

That’s quite a lot of stuff to lose in one area in two days. I also find the breakdown of causes quite interesting. A lot of FPV drones hitting softer targets (obviously getting video proof of those is easier, but still).

Shout out to the Leopard 1 getting a confirmed kill against Tank.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

saratoga posted:

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1712147257338867867

Definitely not running low on IFVs!

(Note this is actually ~20 miles away from Avdiivka, although probably in coordination with the attack there).

Eh, MT-LB is a personnel carrier already, no need to improvise anything. The tactical sign in the back indicates that it's part of an anti-tank artillery unit, so could be a gun tractor or ATGM platform.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nenonen posted:

Eh, MT-LB is a personnel carrier already, no need to improvise anything.

All that sheet metal in the back is the improvised part. Whatever it was for it didn't work.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nenonen posted:

Eh, MT-LB is a personnel carrier already, no need to improvise anything. The tactical sign in the back indicates that it's part of an anti-tank artillery unit, so could be a gun tractor or ATGM platform.

There's more pics further down of something similar from April, they cut the existing roof off and made it taller, with a heavy MG or light autocannon sticking out of a front facing window like a mobile pillbox.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

All that sheet metal in the back is the improvised part. Whatever it was for it didn't work.

Still, you're looking at a vehicle that drove into mines. The superstructure is not designed to withstand that, just bullets.

The box structure looks a lot like the ambulance variant, but it could also be a command vehicle or one of a plethora of other variants.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

saratoga posted:

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1712147257338867867

Definitely not running low on IFVs!

(Note this is actually ~20 miles away from Avdiivka, although probably in coordination with the attack there).

curious they photoshopped away the dead body next to the mine, why not just black or blur it out instead

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

NTRabbit posted:

There's more pics further down of something similar from April, they cut the existing roof off and made it taller, with a heavy MG or light autocannon sticking out of a front facing window like a mobile pillbox.

looks exceptionally like one of the isis improvised battle trucks, except on an mtlb chassis

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Xlorp posted:

Now I wonder exactly what kind of barbarian-themed TTRPG allows improvised armored personnel carriers. Conan / Lost Worlds x/over?

The A-Team

bursts out of a barn in an uparmored Ford van

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

How's it going Russian Navy?

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1712373815076958526

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I just watched a video of an air bursting FPV drone and it was terrifying. Modern drone war is hellishly scary

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

DTurtle posted:

From one of the other Ukraine threads:

It's basically an entire brigade's worth of hardware. One tank battalion, two mechanized infantry battalions, and two batteries of artillery.

Portable, guided, non-line-of-sight munitions are definitely A Thing now We were all worried about Skynet creating skeleton-robots with plasma rifles. In fact Skynet would just strap grenades to those little RC planes we used as kids.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Bashez posted:

On the positive side, the quality of the forces deployed there was even lower than the level Russians have displayed so far. There are so much footage of Russian infantry in drone range acting in ways that would make any half-decent NCO die of apoplexy. I don't think anyone over there was trained to do anything, or if they were, the leadership was afraid of correcting the behavior of their troops.

And as for equipment, Russia is now unambiguously intentionally using T-62:s offensively as tanks.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Dick Ripple posted:

Shout out to the Leopard 1 getting a confirmed kill against Tank.
Nice find. I overlooked that. That is actually amazing.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

DTurtle posted:

Nice find. I overlooked that. That is actually amazing.

I assume it's this?

https://twitter.com/Trotes936897/status/1712226627298509006?t=PHTb1eclKy28jYZ8FItPHg&s=19

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Dick Ripple posted:

It will be a long time before Russia runs out of material and manpower, they have already shown again and again how quickly they can reconstitute forces. The question should be what quality/experience these forces have, and based on those videos it does not look to good.

I'm not sure their reconstitution is all that successful. They were able to scrape together a few modern vehicles from the trickle their industry produces, but that was supplemented by a lot of old junk and even some improvised stuff and civilian vehicles. At the same time the crews really seemed to struggle to even drive, let alone attack effectively. One video I saw was a BMP that rolled over in traffic outside of combat. Once in combat there's videos of lone tanks, completely unsupported getting picked off.

It's dangerous to draw conclusions based on early reports and whatever images the Ukrainians choose to release, but it looks more like they're struggling to replace lost equipment and train new people after the summers fighting.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This is quite the claim. Hopefully it's correct.

https://twitter.com/geoconfirmed/status/1712337033153175709?s=46&t=jERcUgYdb3JwTmxzBbEvRw

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The assault on Avdiivka really begs the question, why this, why now? I had expected Russia to try to inflict as much damage as possible on attacking Ukrainian troops while waiting for a winter slowdown that would allow them to build up units for a spring offensive. Instead they launched an attack that seems even desperate.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The assault on Avdiivka really begs the question, why this, why now? I had expected Russia to try to inflict as much damage as possible on attacking Ukrainian troops while waiting for a winter slowdown that would allow them to build up units for a spring offensive. Instead they launched an attack that seems even desperate.

"They keep advancing. Do something!" -Putin, probably

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

As far as timing goes, on pro-Z social media I see a perception that the US and EU might be forced to abandon Ukraine to save Israel if the middle east situation continues to escalate. Taking Avdiika would be a big deal regardless since the town has held out since the beginning of a special military operation, but taking it now would be a critical blow according to that theory

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wow, Russia can barely even make any advances across the line. Epic fail, losers. Counter-counter offensive is dead, just surrender now Russia. You can't win and will just kill all your young men. Zero progress and just throwing materiel away. I care about the people. :downs:

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Toxic Mental posted:

Wow, Russia can barely even make any advances across the line. Epic fail, losers. Counter-counter offensive is dead, just surrender now Russia. You can't win and will just kill all your young men. Zero progress and just throwing materiel away. I care about the people. :downs:

I am already drawing up plans for my summer home in liberated, pro-American Republic of Siberia. I cannot wait to enrich that oppressed, industrious people with resource extraction contracts. :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

OAquinas posted:

"They keep advancing. Do something!" -Putin, probably

"They keep advancing. Do something!" - Hitler before Kursk, probably

"They keep advancing. Do something!"- Lee before Gettysburg, probably

"They keep advancing. Do something!"- Paullus before Cannae, probably

"They keep advancing. Do something!" -Charles I d'Albret before Agincourt, probably

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

95% of frontal assaults are abandoned before success

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1712601533580239203

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
apparently the us is working on cobbling together spare parts to build new sam launchers, revamp obsolete nato equipment, and allow soviet launchers to use nato missiles. just another demonstration of how unprepared every country in the world was for a sustained modern peer conflict. i'm interested to see that there is still sustained efforts to make the hawks system relevant. i don't recall ever seeing any evidence of its deployment, much less a successful kill. i'm sure it's an all out scramble to try to avoid a repeat of the pain inflicted last winter

quote:

BRUSSELS (AP) — The Pentagon calls it FrankenSAM — a project that cobbles together air defense weapons for Ukraine from an array of parts from around the world.

But now, as congressional gridlock delays funding for the war in Ukraine, the Frankenstein-like program for surface-to-air missiles has become more of a life saver and a reliable way to get working weapons to the battlefield now. The rapid delivery of the systems comes as Ukraine tries to ward off Russian airstrikes and make as many gains as possible before troops are slowed down by weather.

A senior U.S. defense official said Thursday that the U.S. has been able to improvise and build a new missile launcher from radars and other parts contributed by allies and partners. The system will be able to launch AIM-9M Sidewinder missiles, which the U.S. announced Wednesday it will send to Ukraine in the latest aid package.

At the same time, U.S. engineers have been able to work with Ukraine to modify a Soviet-era Buk air defense launcher so that it can fire RIM-7 missiles, which the U.S. has in large quantities. Ukraine has a number of the Buk systems, but its supply of missiles had been dwindling.

Both of those systems, the official said, are moving to Ukraine this fall, in an effort to meet critical air defense needs as it struggles to retake territory the Russians have seized and gain a solid battlefield footing as the muddy season hits ahead of the winter freeze.
The official spoke to reporters on condition of anonymity to provide a battle update.

The innovations have given the U.S. another way to pour weapons into Ukraine, even though Congress has not approved any new funding for the war. A small but vocal contingent of Republican lawmakers opposes sending U.S. money overseas for the fight against Russia and forced its removal from a temporary spending measure that prevented a U.S. government shutdown on Oct. 1.

The Pentagon still has about $5.4 billion available that it can use to pull existing weapons from its stockpile to send to Ukraine. That money is expected to last several months. The U.S., however, only has about $1.6 billion to replenish U.S. stocks that are needed by the military services, and there are greater worries about that running out.

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin was in Brussels on Thursday for a meeting of NATO defense ministers. He also led a session of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group on Wednesday with more than 50 defense and military leaders from around the world, to discuss how to meet Kyiv's current and future war needs.

He announced the latest $200 million aid package on Wednesday, which included an unspecified number of the Sidewinder missiles. And Air Force Gen. CQ Brown, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters the additional commitments of weapons and conversations with allies convinced him “we’re putting Ukraine in a good spot” going into the winter fight.

The FrankenSAM program began months ago but has grown over time. The defense official said it has been crucial to providing much-needed air defense for Ukraine, which has been pounded by Russian missiles. Defending against those missile barrages has been one of Ukraine's major challenges.

Another portion of the program was described as more of a “Frankenstein” effort, because it takes a somewhat obsolete air defense system the U.S no longer uses and revamps it and similar versions that allies have.

The U.S. and allies no longer use the Hawk air defense system, but they have a lot of missiles for it. The official said the U.S. has brought the system back to life and it's being used in Ukraine now.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's standard old Soviet doctrine. Don't reinforce failure. Or in other words, if you are losing somewhere, don't send men and materiel there to be wasted, attack somewhere else which forces your enemy to stop their offensive to respond to it. It worked really well against the Nazis, and is still one of the cornerstones of Russian doctrine.

The attack is supposed to be lot less of a clown show, though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tuna-Fish posted:

It's standard old Soviet doctrine. Don't reinforce failure. Or in other words, if you are losing somewhere, don't send men and materiel there to be wasted, attack somewhere else which forces your enemy to stop their offensive to respond to it. It worked really well against the Nazis, and is still one of the cornerstones of Russian doctrine.

The attack is supposed to be lot less of a clown show, though.

A key thing to keep in mind of course is this doctrine is tailor suited for a nation that could rely on having a large mechanized force and is supposed to have weeks if not months of preparation; plus remember all of that artillery the Soviets could rely on, especially in WW2. Somehow I don't think Russia today has the tool it needs to really make use of the doctrine.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

They've been attacking all along the East for months. I said a month or so ago that this fall would be a bunch of suicidal attacks into minefields because it's clearly what they were building up towards as the Ukrainian offensive ended.

As for why, there is obviously a lot of political pressure to make something happen and after the mutiny they have been purging all dissent from the army. Probably there isn't anyone willing to push back against a bad plan and Putin's inner circle thinks they can win this thing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
SecDef and the CJCS (now Gen. C. Q. Brown) gave an update after latest Ukraine contact group meeting. I have heavily edited for length and to remove I/P content. https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...-chairman-gene/

Highlights:
-Air Defense and Artillery are the major items again, especially in preparation for winter, when Russia is likely to attempt to destroy critical infrastructure that provides heat and electricity in Ukraine.
-Germany donating another Patriot Battery and components/munitions.
-When asked, SecDef had no announcement on ATACMS

quote:

SecDef: ... Since Russia's unprovoked and all-out invasion last February, the United States has committed $43.9 billion to help support a free and secure Ukraine, and that includes our most recent Ukraine assistance package valued at $200 million.

And we're in great company. Some-50 other members of this Contact Group have committed more than $33 billion in direct security assistance to Ukraine. In fact, the three biggest European donors to Ukraine, Germany, the United Kingdom and Poland, have all committed more than the United States as a percentage of GDP, and so have many other European countries, including Croatia, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, and all three of the Baltic states. Together -- today, several countries briefed us on a new assistance packages for Ukraine that they have approved just in the three weeks since we last met in Ramstein.

And Germany will donate another Patriot system and additional Patriot missiles as part of a $1.1 billion package that includes 10 more Leopard A1 tanks, two more IRIS-T air defense systems, and Spain will continue its critical Hawk training mission and will donate additional Hawk equipment, and Sweden approved a $200 million assistance package, including critical artillery ammunition, and Bulgaria will donate components to help Ukraine strengthen its S-300 air defense system.

France committed to provide more CAESAR howitzers and to accelerate their production. The U.K. will provide a new package of aid, including air defense support, 155 millimeter guns and more. And Canada will invest nearly half a billion dollars over the next three years in Ukraine's armored vehicle capabilities.

And that just underscores the scope of the response from our allies and partners. It's another reminder of how badly Putin has miscalculated. Instead of demoralizing the Ukrainian people, Putin demoralized the Russian military. And countries everywhere have rejected Putin's vision of a lawless world where tyrants can invade their peaceful neighbors with impunity.

So we stand united to help defend the free and sovereign Ukraine and to help strengthen the rules-based international order that has made our world so much safer since the end of World War II. That's what this contact group stands for. That is what Ukraine is fighting for. And we'll continue to have their backs.

SEC. AUSTIN: ATACMS. I don't have any announcements on ATACMS to make today, but what I will tell you is what we focused on is what we believe Ukraine needs, and we believe that because these are the things that President Zelenskyy addressed today. He spoke of a need for air defense, additional air defense, ground-based air defense capabilities, and also artillery platforms and artillery munitions. And so that's been our focus, and we have throughout focused on what we know that Ukraine's going to need, and that focus, I think, has been very, very instrumental in making sure that we can -- that President Zelenskyy can protect his cities and also protect his troops. So we'll continue that work.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

apparently the us is working on cobbling together spare parts to build new sam launchers, revamp obsolete nato equipment, and allow soviet launchers to use nato missiles. just another demonstration of how unprepared every country in the world was for a sustained modern peer conflict. i'm interested to see that there is still sustained efforts to make the hawks system relevant. i don't recall ever seeing any evidence of its deployment, much less a successful kill. i'm sure it's an all out scramble to try to avoid a repeat of the pain inflicted last winter

To be fair, I don't think a peer conflict quite like this one was expected. You have a nuclear power running a clown show offensive against a regional power. No one can tell the nuclear power to just Knock It Off Or Else, but the regional power is pretty marginal relative to other major nations and not already allied with them militarily, so while they're getting aid it's somewhat slap dash and incompatible with equipment and doctrine they already have. You're right that no one was prepared for a peer conflict, but nominally this should not be a peer conflict.

I think, ultimately, the other major powers are ok with letting Russia bleed itself on the razor wire of Ukraine, whether or not it dies, as long as it stays occupied and bleeds.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 13, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It’s much less ‘they are unprepared for a sustained modern peer conflict’ and more ‘they don’t really have a lot they care to give’. Like Russia has tons of stuff and will basically never run out, but their problem is that they failed to keep it maintained. The US could just pull out its huge hordes of stuff, but its annoying to send it all over and they don’t want to give them ‘the good stuff’. This goes for basically every nation, outside those who didn’t have good stuff to begin with.

It’s a wrong lesson to take.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Warbadger posted:

They still exist, in some rare examples like the Challenger 1. Wet racks aren't in Russian tanks or most other Western tanks, though.

These generally protected against propellant fires - specifically placing something of a barrier between one propellant charge and the others nearby while theoretically adding something to douse a fire or cool things off before the propellant lights. Since WWII, though, the shells (and thus propellant for each one) in the average tank got bigger, the propellant in them got a lot more powerful, and the effects of anti-tank weapons became a lot more "energetic". It didn't help that in some wet rack examples (the Sherman) it was also found that the wet ammunition rack helped mostly by relocation of ammunition to areas of the tank less likely to get hit.

For that T-90M in the video, though, they'd make very little difference when you're talking about something like high explosives meeting a jet of hypersonic superheated metal.

God, where have you been in every tank argument I've ever gotten myself into? Saying things like "Modern tank rounds don't work exactly like WW2 AP rounds" or "The design of the T-series makes necessary upgrades difficult-to-impossible" shouldn't be controversial, but they are.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

saratoga posted:

They've been attacking all along the East for months. I said a month or so ago that this fall would be a bunch of suicidal attacks into minefields because it's clearly what they were building up towards as the Ukrainian offensive ended.
That's true, but I was under the impression that the attacks in the northeast were best characterised as skirmishing, intended to distract the Ukrainian army. The northeast is also where Ukrainian troops are least fortified.

The size of the attacking force is also a bit puzzling. Commentators like Perun have noted that the constant presence of drones has made it very dangerous to concentrate forces near the front. Yet here we saw tank columns.

Come to think of it, the spot might have been chosen simply because it's one of the few places where a force of this size can roll into battle almost straight off the train.

Them being green reinforcements would also explain why the attacking troops frequently appeared to have no idea what they were doing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Portable, guided, non-line-of-sight munitions are definitely A Thing now We were all worried about Skynet creating skeleton-robots with plasma rifles. In fact Skynet would just strap grenades to those little RC planes we used as kids.
Yeah turns out Cameron just wanted something visually interesting, and William Gibson had the better idea. Small, maneuverable hunter-killer drone-munitions are already super widespread and they're only gonna get more gruesomely efficient once raytheon and Co figure out how to integrate small DLPs and thermal imagers on them.

Flavahbeast posted:

As far as timing goes, on pro-Z social media I see a perception that the US and EU might be forced to abandon Ukraine to save Israel if the middle east situation continues to escalate.
There's not going to be any escalation in Israel. The IDF will needlessly wipe out a horrendous number of Palestinians, most of them young civies, and Gaza will go back to being the largest open air prison in the world.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 13, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Come to think of it, the spot might have been chosen simply because it's one of the few places where a force of this size can roll into battle almost straight off the train.

This is certainly an important consideration, although more for supplying the force during the operation. An armoured brigade on offense consumes a mountain of fuel and other consumables every day and moving those mountains of supplies through the same depots and roads that are already supplying the defenders in south would be challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Szarrukin posted:

I do realize that I should've expected nothing else with a) Zelensky being of Jewish origin himself b) USA being Ukraine's main ally, but every time Zelensky speaks about Israel/Palestine it loving hurts my soul.
yeah it's disheartening as all hell