Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

It needs a more expressive throbber.

What are you, my wife?

LOL on the snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
Is there a recommended spacesniffer.exe equivalent for the Steamdeck? I got the 512gb deck and even after moving all my emulator poo poo to the microsd, running deck cleaner to blast 18gb of shader cache files, and uninstalling battle.net and diablo IV theres still 136.38 of 465.3 GB taken up by "OTHER" per system storage and I cant imagine thats all steamOS associated files? I dont think i have multiple versions of Proton but maybe? Curious to see what's goin on!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What's the recommended headset for a Steam Deck these days? I would likely go wired, as I had some delay issues last time I messed with wireless buds.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ragequit posted:

What's the recommended headset for a Steam Deck these days? I would likely go wired, as I had some delay issues last time I messed with wireless buds.

In ear or over ear?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

In ear or over ear?

Either is fine with me. Whatever sounds good and doesn't require software that might have trouble in Linux.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

BT codecs on the Deck: at some point the Deck started advertising AptX LL (low latency) higher than other codecs. Problem is that AptX LL requires a dedicated chip to get to its 40ms latency target - and the Deck doesn't have it, so LL sounds awful with the Deck. I have two different BT receivers with dedicated LL support and didn't matter, the Deck just can't handle it. LL sounds really bad, so if you're getting cracking or popping it could be LL.

From recent testing basic LDAC from the Deck is good enough latency for me to game at, though LL is visibly/audibly lower in comparison. None of the other common codecs were as low with the 4 BT earbuds/receivers I tried. LDAC is pretty commonly found these days, it's no longer only on Sony gear.

AptX Adaptive would be best today, high bandwidth and low latency. But the Deck didn't license it, nor are there open source, reverse engineered implementations for Linux. Pity as my gear does support it.

If you want to fix/check/test the codec in use for your headset or receiver go to Desktop mode, Settings, Audio. You can then select the codec for your headset, which should be listed.

BT earbuds: The Anker Soundcore Space A40 are surprisingly lower latency for gaming. They even have a low latency gaming mode, but the normal mode is low enough for me. Other advantages of the Soundcores include: They have a "customize to your ears" thing built into their app that sets a custom equalization that actually makes a big difference to the sound. You can customize the touch controls in ways that way more expensive sets can't. The sound is actually good on these single driver earbuds - I often take them for exercise instead of better headphones because they're so convenient and good enough.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 11, 2023

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

Is there a recommended spacesniffer.exe equivalent for the Steamdeck? I got the 512gb deck and even after moving all my emulator poo poo to the microsd, running deck cleaner to blast 18gb of shader cache files, and uninstalling battle.net and diablo IV theres still 136.38 of 465.3 GB taken up by "OTHER" per system storage and I cant imagine thats all steamOS associated files? I dont think i have multiple versions of Proton but maybe? Curious to see what's goin on!

Disk Usage Analyzer and Filelight are two options available via Discover.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there a way to setup a Samba share on the steamdeck?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

I had about 60gb in "OTHER" and I was surprised to find out how much of that was extra poo poo downloaded for Emudeck/Emulation Station. All of the pictures and in some cases videos of boxart and gameplay, respectively. And I only had about 20 ROMs on there. :psyduck:

That and Minecraft bedrock launcher, which I've since gotten rid of. That didn't clear out all of the 'other', but those two things definitely took a big chunk out of it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

tithin posted:

Is there a way to setup a Samba share on the steamdeck?

With a systemd or fstab entry it should work fine. fstab is just a generator for systemd now these days, so I like to do my mounts in fstab so they're all in one place.

https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/samba-windows-linux

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Ho-lee poo poo am I having fun with 40K Boltgun. This is my first boomer shooter, other than old-school shooters from yesteryear.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

40K Boltgun is considered a boomer shooter? That was news to me, thought it was a modern FPS.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Boltgun is massive enemy hordes and constant movement, it's a boomer rear end shooter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

njsykora posted:

Boltgun is massive enemy hordes and constant movement, it's a boomer rear end shooter.

Ah, hell yeah, now you got my attention

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Saoshyant posted:

Ah, hell yeah, now you got my attention

Not that these labels are well defined or matter in the slightest but according to Civvie 11 it's more new Doom (2016) with retro visual stylings than a traditional boomer shooter because of the heavy focus on combat arenas and weapons being tailored for enemy weaknesses.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boltgun has total rear end level design. Not a fan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m really looking forward to Selaco.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Anyone using Xreal Airs, someone's been working to make them track in space without the need of the Beam attachment that Xreal makes so the screen isn't just "stuck" in place, which would cause me nausea if I moved too much. It only tracks in 2D but that's better than a static image but I don't think you'd really need to forward and back tracking. If you donate a couple bucks he sends you instructions to his Discord and there's instructions on how to set it up and test it before he releases it proper. I've been using it and it's a world of difference, however it doesn't work for the SteamOS menus and poo poo yet but whatever, in time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xreal/comments/16sukj5/preview_virtual_display_body_anchor_on_steam_deck/

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

sigher posted:

Anyone using Xreal Airs, someone's been working to make them track in space without the need of the Beam attachment that Xreal makes so the screen isn't just "stuck" in place, which would cause me nausea if I moved too much. It only tracks in 2D but that's better than a static image but I don't think you'd really need to forward and back tracking. If you donate a couple bucks he sends you instructions to his Discord and there's instructions on how to set it up and test it before he releases it proper. I've been using it and it's a world of difference, however it doesn't work for the SteamOS menus and poo poo yet but whatever, in time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xreal/comments/16sukj5/preview_virtual_display_body_anchor_on_steam_deck/

That's what I've been waiting for!

But I can't test as I left my airs in a hotel somewhere in vegas :(

FML

whats the latency on this? Is it bad screen tearing?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Unless I'm going crazy I remember someone posting a dock that works with both Deck and Switch and it looked like an SNES a while back, but I can't find it now. Anybody still have a link, or even a product name for me to search?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Commander Keene posted:

Unless I'm going crazy I remember someone posting a dock that works with both Deck and Switch and it looked like an SNES a while back, but I can't find it now. Anybody still have a link, or even a product name for me to search?

Gulikit has it, and holy poo poo I want it

Edit: just fyi, I'd never seen this before, so I googled "dock for switch and steam deck" and scrolled down the images page until I saw it. Anyway, hope that helps!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 12, 2023

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

how does that work, the switch's USB port is on the bottom and the steam deck's is on the top and off-center

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ah, so it's not out yet? Shame.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yes I would like an uglier dock.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

njsykora posted:

Yes I would like an uglier dock.
:ok:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

hbag posted:

how does that work, the switch's USB port is on the bottom and the steam deck's is on the top and off-center

Dock your deck upside down

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Suburban Dad posted:

thats stupid. just get the dock valve sell

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Suburban Dad posted:

i'd sooner die, sir

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

FWIW I’ve got a generic Deck-style dock and I’ve used it for my Switch (and Odin) too. Obviously with it being designed for the Deck with the USB-C plug on a cable to the top, the other two have to be placed upside down (and for the Switch that means blocking the fan, so really I kinda lay it flat). So it’s not perfect or SNES style, but it “works”.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Genki has the Covert Dock for a sleeker Switch and Steam Deck dock. It is an older model and appears to be 30hz.

There is currently a Kickstarter for some more Genki products for an updated Covert Dock 2 and some other products. It appears to do 60hz. Ships in December.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/humanthings/genki-alpine

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Harminoff posted:

That's what I've been waiting for!

But I can't test as I left my airs in a hotel somewhere in vegas :(

FML

whats the latency on this? Is it bad screen tearing?

I can't detect any latency and there's no screen tearing at all.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Genki has the Covert Dock for a sleeker Switch and Steam Deck dock. It is an older model and appears to be 30hz.

There is currently a Kickstarter for some more Genki products for an updated Covert Dock 2 and some other products. It appears to do 60hz. Ships in December.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/humanthings/genki-alpine

I don't know where you're getting the 30/60 Hz info from, because that doesn't match the spec sheet. The original Covert Dock does 1080p@60, though. It only has 30W, though, so it doesn't have the headroom for charging while playing a demanding game. The Covert Dock 2 has 45W and can do up to 4K@60.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 13, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Genki has the Covert Dock for a sleeker Switch and Steam Deck dock.

buy this. it's not 30hz, it's 60hz at 1080p.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was scrolling down then kickstarted page and one of the photos compared the Covert Dock 2 against something else, I just assumed it was the original.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's a really really good little dock. for switch it's absolutel essential imho. i use it with my deck for my TV all the time as well. i've never had an issue with power on it but i wasn't playing AAA games

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

hbag posted:

thats stupid. just get the dock valve sell

But then it's not a super nindecko

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

you'll live

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Any USB C hub that meets your specific needs is good enough, there's no need for a "dock" as you're used to with a Switch.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=USB+c+hub

Choose the inputs you want to have. SD? USB C? How many A ports? HDMI? DisplayPort? HDMI over USB? Make your choices.

And buy or reuse a separate USB C PD charger instead of paying for one to be embedded in your "dock" that may not be convenient for use elsewhere.

I have a slightly different version of this hub that I bought in 2018 because it actually understood the silly poo poo Nintendo was doing with HDMI over USB at the time. Mine's a stick but has essentially the same inputs/outputs. Works great with the Switch, the Deck, laptops, you name it. Just have to plug in a USB PD adapter.

C-Force cf001

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

V important update in SteamOS 3.5.1:

quote:

- Disabled HDR exposure in "My Little Pony: A Maretime Bay Adventure" as it enables it without rendering in HDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Someone on etsy makes Playstation face buttons for the Deck, if you want to go through the hassle of that: https://www.etsy.com/listing/155672..._search_click=1