Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
mfw I'm about to buy the dip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so how much money did she get to keep

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Early-onset middle age can strike anyone at any time.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Agents are GO! posted:

The funniest thing about Less Wrong is how many people I've witnessed independently having the exact same walking away point: the dust-in-the-eye thought experiment.

I had to look this up too and I feel dumber for having done so

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

LifeSunDeath posted:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I love how often magazines and shows slobbered over these scam artists, and it keeps happening against and again.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I had to look this up too and I feel dumber for having done so

my favorite part about googling this was seeing discussions on it from 2007 and one in 2013 with "yet again" in the title

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

CommieGIR posted:

I love how often magazines and shows slobbered over these scam artists, and it keeps happening against and again.

I can't remember the last time I read a magazine, probably been a decade.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

the other hand posted:

Not at all a Conover fan, but this interview has some pretty funny stories about crypto luminaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y7fQsEwtBg

Not to derail, but why don't you like Adam Conover?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

His haircut, I assume.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
FTX thief cashes out millions during Bankman-Fried trial https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67090501

quote:

A thief who stole more than $470m (£383m) in cryptocurrency when FTX crashed is trying to cash it out while the exchange's founder is on trial.
Sam Bankman-Fried's high-profile court case began last week. The former crypto mogul denies fraud.
After lying dormant for nine months, experts say $20m of the stolen stash is being laundered into traditional money every day.
New analysis shows how the mystery thief is trying to hide their tracks.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

rydiafan posted:

His haircut, I assume.

I'm jealous of that hair I won't lie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zero One posted:

FTX thief cashes out millions during Bankman-Fried trial https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67090501

Sam making his clean getaway

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So does the inverse to the dust in eye thing also hold true

like do rationalists think it's better to have one guy jizz cosmically hard vs one bazillion other people having a mildly pleasant stretch

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

[Here stood a comment pointing out her racist and eugenicist ideology but it was kind of lovely so I removed it]

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 13, 2023

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If they asked a billion people whether they'd accept getting one speck of dust in their eyes to save a child from a lifetime of torture, they'd be surprised (and probably disgusted) by the concept of altruism.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The ones who sprint towards Omelas, hootin and hollarin

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat and judge people based on their appearance but this person was writing essays about which ethnicities where what desirable in her fictional orgy cult so I kinda feel it's okay

Same. These are our eugenicists?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Neito posted:

Not to derail, but why don't you like Adam Conover?

I have one really specific nit pick but when he "interviews" someone its him talking half the time.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

ponzicar posted:

The ones who sprint towards Omelas, hootin and hollarin

the ones who see Omelas and wonder "can we hurt this child more?"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

ponzicar posted:

If they asked a billion people whether they'd accept getting one speck of dust in their eyes to save a child from a lifetime of torture, they'd be surprised (and probably disgusted) by the concept of altruism.

the 3^^^3 number is what makes it silly tbh, that's "graham's number" which has (maybe had?) the distinction of being the largest number ever actually used in a proof of something meaningful (i think it established an upper bound for something). it's like way, way, way bigger than the number of atoms in the observable universe

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

more falafel please posted:

the 3^^^3 number is what makes it silly tbh, that's "graham's number" which has (maybe had?) the distinction of being the largest number ever actually used in a proof of something meaningful (i think it established an upper bound for something). it's like way, way, way bigger than the number of atoms in the observable universe

the number of digits, is larger than the number of particles in the observable universe

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

shame on an IGA posted:

the number of digits, is larger than the number of particles in the observable universe

it reminds me of a friendly argument between two of my coworkers one time about what the better multithreading approach was for a specific problem on the PS3. one dude who was studying parallel systems in grad school said something to the effect of "well, given a theoretical unbounded-n-core system," and the other dude cut him off and said "n isn't unbounded, n is 2*"

only 8 billion people can get a speck of dust in their eyes. double it, both eyes. 16 billion eye-dust-specks

*yes i know about SPUs but this wasn't involving the SPUs

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

shame on an IGA posted:

The number of digits is apparently larger than the number of Planck volumes in the observable universe. You can't even fit the number of exponential towers needed to give the first term (of 64) when you try "unpacking" the up-arrow notation used in the original description. It's a very silly number.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ponzicar posted:

Their counter-argument would be that whether you'd accept it or not, it's objectively the right thing to do as it limits net human suffering-hours, and that you're just letting emotion cloud your judgement.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Squiggle posted:

Same. These are our eugenicists?
Real mutants are confident in their eventual victory and eternal rule over the flatscans

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Cost is always linear, things can never have compounding or additional long term effects. Can I have my mba yet?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

sloth love chunk

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Math talk:
Graham's number was the biggest back in the 70s, there has been a lot more since that have been used in math formulas and theorums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3l0fPHZja8

Check this out for a 'number duel' that two profs had to construct the largest number they could. Rules in the video so not just 'infinity+1'.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The largest number is Graham's number, although mathematicians suspect there may be even larger numbers (Graham's number+1?)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat and judge people based on their appearance but

Hot take: don't.

It's enough that she's a eugenicist. That point is abhorrent and stands on its own, it's not necessary to then roll around in the same pit of mud.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

cruft posted:

It's enough that she's a eugenicist. That point is abhorrent and stands on its own, it's not necessary to then roll around in the same pit of mud.

I'm going to go overrule this post and say go nuts

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

cruft posted:

Them being eugenicists is abhorrent, and the fact that they are gross weirdos makes it ironic. They do not deserve my good grace, they are ugly in and out.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

the other hand posted:

Not at all a Conover fan, but this interview has some pretty funny stories about crypto luminaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y7fQsEwtBg

Salt Fish posted:

I have one really specific nit pick but when he "interviews" someone its him talking half the time.

However having said that, this was really good!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I never watched anything with Conover but heard some ads for Adam Ruins Everything years ago and took an irrational dislike to his delivery style which meant I wrote him off as just a loudmouth. Then recently he was a guest on a podcast discussing the SAG strikes and realised he's a smart and funny guy. Sorry Adam!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Imagine four tensions on the edge of a uncanny valley

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
That writing style sounds like it was ripped out of the Cryptonomicon. My only question is whether SBF stole it from the book or if Stephenson was parodying LW rationalist dumbasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

all alignment and no shrimp makes sam a dull boy