Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Hatebag posted:

sasquatch ain't fae, that's horseshit. the fae are a bunch of delusions of morons that're always trying to bamboozle people whereas sasquatch is a cool guy who happens to smell real bad but is just out there doing his best, get real!

Somewhere a member of the Un/Seelye councils ears are burning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Carp posted:

That was enjoyable to read and a tangled ball to relate to. Do your word choices come from a dense reading vocabulary, or professional experience?
I haven't made a cent from my own writing, but let's say: :yeah:
Thanks. The words sometimes demand specificity when I get into a writing trance

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I need to triple post because I love this post and can't not acknowledge this post but my joy for it is so tonally different from both my other posts

:cheersbird:
Amazing shift in posting tone if I may and I am ever joyful that my bizarre personal account could have helped another person in such a way :peanut: Cheers~! :cheersbird:

Hatebag posted:

sasquatch ain't fae, that's horseshit. the fae are a bunch of delusions of morons that're always trying to bamboozle people whereas sasquatch is a cool guy who happens to smell real bad but is just out there doing his best, get real!
My favorite sasquatch theory is that they're biological All-Terrain-Hominid that aliens use to romp around planets remotely.

Personally I prefer the more US-folkwoo stories of appalachian cat ladies leaving out tupperwares of peanut butter and chewing tobacco as offerings to the skunkmen :wookie:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

The Demilich posted:

Somewhere a member of the Un/Seelye councils ears are burning.

:gamefreak:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Could really use some mind shattering revelations these days

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lux Anima posted:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I need to triple post because I love this post and can't not acknowledge this post but my joy for it is so tonally different from both my other posts

:cheersbird:
Amazing shift in posting tone if I may and I am ever joyful that my bizarre personal account could have helped another person in such a way :peanut: Cheers~! :cheersbird:

Not to insult you, but my post you quote here was itself quoting a post by sharknado slashfic about their bird :) I did actually find a lot of your post aimed in my direction condescending, in assuming you could explain to me the possibilities available in my relationship with my God, and also insulting, as you repeatedly called Him some kind of very stupid invading space alien. I wasn't going to engage all of these things directly but I am being misquoted in a way that I do not care for, both literally and implicitly -- so!

I do find these things fairly demonstrative of why I tend to try to avoid explicitly naming any Gods that I believe in.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Oct 12, 2023

How!
Oct 29, 2009

thank god for this thread.

I’ve missed y’all.

Here’s another drawing about the whole drat thing (the west) falling off the precipice. Godspeed to that.

Also some pictures of the fun things I’ve been up to lately- helping my buddy launch his medical cannabis dispensary.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Not to insult you, but my post you quote here was itself quoting a post by sharknado slashfic about their bird :) I did actually find a lot of your post aimed in my direction condescending, in assuming you could explain to me the possibilities available in my relationship with my God, and also insulting, as you repeatedly called Him some kind of very stupid invading space alien. I wasn't going to engage all of these things directly but I am being misquoted in a way that I do not care for, both literally and implicitly -- so!

I do find these things fairly demonstrative of why I tend to try to avoid explicitly naming any Gods that I believe in.
My apologies! I believe we've had a miscommunication, and I'll attempt to remedy that: I'm posting here to help, and absolutely not to offend. Thanks for being forthright and working out this interaction with me, I really appreciate it!

I had noticed a shift in your temperament from your earlier posts and was celebrating the shift in posting demeanor that you'd mentioned in the quote. This was after you thanked me for my story, too, so I'd had the expectation that something in there might have helped you resolve some of the issues you'd mentioned before. I was not intending to steal posting thunder from SharknadoSlashfic, either, rather trying to say this was all a nice change of pace for you, and I was glad!

Please don't assume I'd wanted to spill my guts out like that either, on a forum, about a weird connection I had to anubis / ancient egyptian aliens / annunaki during a recent bizarre mental experience I recently underwent in a UFO thread, but I know that spooky compulsions and kismet can sometimes have a strange kinship. Just know that I shared all that wordiness from a place of love, and I apologize that some of it was inflammatory. Ma'at's pretty cool BTW. Thanks again.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the only thing that can hasten disclosure is maintaining good vibes in the ufo thread

How!
Oct 29, 2009

blatman posted:

the only thing that can hasten disclosure is maintaining good vibes in the ufo thread

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

blatman posted:

*taps the 'ATTACK AND DETHRONE GOD' gangtag under my av v:shobon:v

This might (honest) help explain my perspective to fellow goons, for those without experience posting in TCC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPzJjNQaYEA
RIP. memetics have a certain metamagic to them, after all

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i see the moon

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Squizzle posted:

i see the moon

that spells TIDE

Carp
May 29, 2002

From a set of test images that were turned into an art project.

Carp has issued a correction as of 06:57 on Oct 12, 2023

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010
Real.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghoai4yVc7k

finally, disclosure

Carp
May 29, 2002

From a set of test images that were turned into an art project.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And that art project? All life on the planet Earth

Carp
May 29, 2002

From "Photographs of God," another art project built from AI test images.

Good morning! Did I kill the thread? :/

Carp has issued a correction as of 11:29 on Oct 12, 2023

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Carp posted:

The thread is not dead, it's on a journey

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Im not a thread cop and no one has to listen to me but I find AI tremendously boring and would rather not look at it here :shrug:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
For what it's worth, seconded. AIs are just glorified search engines, which in turn are glorified calculators. They don't think, they don't feel, they don't experience, and nothing they create constitutes genuine expression, and never can, and never will.

I wanna hear from real-rear end livin' breathin' goons, not a visual representation of a google search

Carp
May 29, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

Im not a thread cop and no one has to listen to me but I find AI tremendously boring and would rather not look at it here :shrug:

Barry Foster posted:

For what it's worth, seconded. AIs are just glorified search engines, which in turn are glorified calculators. They don't think, they don't feel, they don't experience, and nothing they create constitutes genuine expression, and never can, and never will.

I wanna hear from real-rear end livin' breathin' goons, not a visual representation of a google search

I can understand that. There is plenty of it floating around and this thread is for more enduring mysteries. To me it was a unique mirror into humanity, but really, there is so much aesthetic trickery going on (Midjourney), how much value is there? Perhaps valid art, but not much to ponder. The thread deserves far less than three images essentially back to back.

Carp has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Oct 12, 2023

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Carp posted:

im working to unpack it

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

does a spirograph count as ai art

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

I want to be shocked. Ontologically shocked.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I just stumbled upon this game where you are a witch re-learning the basics of magic and cartomancy and eventually creating your own deck. It reminded me of the vibe of this thread so I thought it would interest some regulars who play video games. There's even a free demo on steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heW0gEyIovE

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

So, Lux, I want to be super clear that despite disliking what felt like someone "mansplaining" my personal God to me, so much so that I had to clearly say "no I did not like that post all that much" when misinterpreted otherwise, I have absolutely no problem with you the person :) To try to demonstrate that in a way that also provides thread content I tried a new tarot pull this morning based on the one you shared with us the other day. I messed it up and pulled card 6 before card 5 :sweatdrop: but decided not to reverse them in the pattern since maybe that was meant to be. After realizing I had messed up the cross draw though I went back to my usual three-card for the second half of the reading :lol:

I asked the cards about the state of the world right now -- like most of us probably I have been following the developments in and around Gaza with increasing anxiety both for the people there and what this will mean for them and the world at large moving forward. I cannot shake the feeling of pieces being moved into place on reality's chess board and I thought to myself, perhaps I can try a more complex reading than my usual ones. And oh -- I know just the one. If I am speculating over nothing, I am sure the bird cards will tell me.

So as I say, I pulled open your post, Lux, from a few days ago after the Draconids and used your cross structure there for my first drawing. As, "the current state and path of the human world as related to the renewed war on Gaza" it contained rather more Major Arcana than I was expecting. After staring at it a bit contemplating this I decided to do one of my three-cards for the "and what now?" rather than the four card you used for your draw. Since that is my most common pull I can read those most intuitively now. This did not disappoint me. A couple weeks ago my pull for the thread characterized the collective as being about to enter a "Three of Swords" period. When I cut the deck to begin the second pull three cards immediately fell out on their own.

Remember that I performed this draw "as" our world. The center card on the cross, which I understand per Lux's post to be the querent (our world) is The Hierophant. It is structure and organized thought/religion/hierarchical structures and stuck in its rigid ways. Two of Cups -- love, harmony, partnership -- is what will challenge that. Six of Swords indicates we have been in these dark woods/waters for an age. We abandoned The Empress, our ideas of the sacred aspects of nature and femininity (if anyone here is not familiar with the mythological concept of God's wife they might be interested in looking her up) in favor of what the Hierophant represents, and -- these are the two cards I mixed up in my pull, drawing The Devil (contextually esoterica, mysticism, tricksters) when I was supposed to draw the fifth card for guidance and Death (um... a lot of angles here) drawn as my sixth and final card to represent the future, matters come to their head. If I had followed the blueprint draw correctly, the "guidance" card would be Death and the "future" card, The Devil. It... seems coherent both ways. I want to note that the vibe I am receiving here says Death, as in the end of a phase, unavoidable metamorphosis, and the Devil, basically any powerful entity that is not the Hierophant given how the Hierophant perceives itself, are both very good from our common perspective. Because we are not actually The Hierophant. If anything, in this spread, we are all working for the Empress.

And then the three card draw. This is our future after having read what's going on with "our world." We are in Swords land now. We need to harness the emotional awareness, intuition, love, understanding within each of ourselves, be the Cups, and bring about that Tower for the Hierophant's world in a way that when all the fires burn out, and the rubble is cleared, and we are ready to start again, this time, we do it the right way.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I just stumbled upon this game where you are a witch re-learning the basics of magic and cartomancy and eventually creating your own deck. It reminded me of the vibe of this thread so I thought it would interest some regulars who play video games. There's even a free demo on steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heW0gEyIovE

:hfive: I had started that draw (and the post containing it, I phonepost very slowly) before seeing this post :)

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

I have only been lurking here for a handful of months and haven't posted a lot yet, but I wanted to say that I've really loved seeing your (and other folks) card readings here and it's gotten me back into my own practice (I've always done daily draws for years, but I've been doing actual readings again recently!)

I really agree with your interpretation, and it's neat to see because I use sort of, expansive/non-traditional associations with a lot of cards in my own readings that your interpretation lines up with really tidily. Like one of the primary things I associate The Devil with is a justified breaking-away from established (harmful) paradigms, a kind of righteous rebellion (noting this is highly informed by being a queer person who grew up in a highly conservative/fundamentalist Christian area, and I know other people probably don't see the card/the figure that way at all usually). Similarly, I think the Tower being read as, sort of, getting rid of something we don't need anymore to make room for something new is 100% how I usually read it (everything always depends on context of course).

Anyway, I just thought it was cool to see someone else who also sees the positives in a lot of cards that get sort of stripped down to only their most dire meanings a lot of the time--and I thought your reading was really insightful and hopeful, considering what it's about! So thank you!

(Also your deck is gorgeous!)

Carp
May 29, 2002

This may have already been discussed, but what are the thoughts behind the efficacy of Tarot? Is it the randomness that is being harnessed? Do the rituals and symbols influence the chaos in some deep way and the interpretation adds a human element, a local context?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Carp posted:

This may have already been discussed, but what are the thoughts behind the efficacy of Tarot? Is it the randomness that is being harnessed? Do the rituals and symbols influence the chaos in some deep way and the interpretation adds a human element, a local context?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Carp posted:

I think you'll get a different answer to those questions depending on which tarot practitioner you ask. Personally, I find it to be a good way of prodding and expanding my own thinking, of making connections and unveiling things that maybe I hadn't thought of yet or was reluctant to consider but really need to. My personal approach isn't really religious/spiritual per se, but I also can't discount that a lot of the time, the cards you get in a reading really do feel like there is purpose behind which ones and how they show up.

For me, it's sort of like taking 'random'* inputs and recognizing patterns and meanings and connections in them, and doing so in a way that is meaningful and (depending on the question/situation) actionable that makes it feel effective. It's really something where I think you get out about as much as you put in. I don't generally worry too much about HOW exactly it works, but I just find that it does work the way I use it.

But I definitely don't want to speak for other people and how they interact with the cards (or any other divination system), that's all 100% just my own thoughts on it.

*Whether they are truly random or actually influenced in some way (human, divine, bird, etc.), I leave for people to decide for themselves. Of course you can have cases where sometimes the cards weren't shuffled well/enough and that sort of thing, but the more you do it, the more you do run into Weird Stuff sometimes too.

Carp
May 29, 2002

In one sense I'm clueless, and in another sense I'm dim.

Carp
May 29, 2002

DurianGray posted:

I think you'll get a different answer to those questions depending on which tarot practitioner you ask. Personally, I find it to be a good way of prodding and expanding my own thinking, of making connections and unveiling things that maybe I hadn't thought of yet or was reluctant to consider but really need to. My personal approach isn't really religious/spiritual per se, but I also can't discount that a lot of the time, the cards you get in a reading really do feel like there is purpose behind which ones and how they show up.

For me, it's sort of like taking 'random'* inputs and recognizing patterns and meanings and connections in them, and doing so in a way that is meaningful and (depending on the question/situation) actionable that makes it feel effective. It's really something where I think you get out about as much as you put in. I don't generally worry too much about HOW exactly it works, but I just find that it does work the way I use it.

But I definitely don't want to speak for other people and how they interact with the cards (or any other divination system), that's all 100% just my own thoughts on it.

*Whether they are truly random or actually influenced in some way (human, divine, bird, etc.), I leave for people to decide for themselves. Of course you can have cases where sometimes the cards weren't shuffled well/enough and that sort of thing, but the more you do it, the more you do run into Weird Stuff sometimes too.

Wow, that's a pretty self aware assessment. I can see how that could be a useful tool, like spiritual/mystical ink blots.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DurianGray posted:

(human, divine, bird, etc.)

someone could be all three, or all at-least-five of those

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

tarot is basically halfway between journaling and madlibs. you make up a little story based on the cards you draw and it helps you organize your thoughts and reflect on your desires

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hatebag posted:

tarot is basically halfway between journaling and madlibs. you make up a little story based on the cards you draw and it helps you organize your thoughts and reflect on your desires

why bother worrying about cosmic scale poo poo like if something is true, when asking how something is true breaks it into human-useful pieces

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

as I understand it: the power of karma (cause and effect) on this plane and a few others is extreme and cannot be easily understood by human brains or understood at all. the whole net of karma that applies to and that surrounds your life now and in connected previous and future lives applies to tarot as well. it’s all interconnected at a causal (karmic ) level. so a tarot card pull is necessarily connected to your karma. it can’t not be

this doesn’t make sense from a western scientific pov . but western scientific povs is not an adequate lens to understand the universe. (no lens is adequate in the end and thus tarot is another form and true reality is beyond all forms

just my 2c!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Squizzle posted:

why bother worrying about cosmic scale poo poo like if something is true, when asking how something is true breaks it into human-useful pieces

if it helps you, it helps you. the cards tar-owe no explanation