Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Wife of TBI chud posted an update.

UPDATE: AITAH for disrespecting my husband's religion?

quote:

Hey all. Thanks for the concern and kind words, I really needed it.

First things first, I'm safe, and I'm out of the house with my kids. A lot of you expressed concern about their safety and my financial security, and I want to assure you that is being taken care of. We are safe and with my dad, and my finances were already largely separate. We have a joint account, but that's a small "fun money" account for movie tickets, dinners out, and stuff like that.

I have my own savings that he cannot access. My mom had a gambling addiction when I was a kid that nearly ruined our finances, so my dad made me promise I'd have my own savings. Turns out he was really smart to say that.

Some people suggested looking for a counselor for Joan, and thankfully the kids already had a therapist for anxiety after the accident, and as soon as we left the house we scheduled an emergency session to make sure they can process everything that's going on.

A lot of you said Peter needed to see a doctor because this could be a symptom of a TBI, which I agree with. The problem is, since he was discharged months ago and the more worrying symptoms happened recently, I can't force him to get treatment, especially since nothing he said would be considered "threatening."

I had a call with him yesterday. He asked where I was, and I refused to tell him. He didn't get upset, thankfully. He asked why I took the kids and left, and I told him he wasn't the man I married anymore. I told him that things seemed to be getting worse, and that I needed him to see a doctor because this wasn't normal. He dismissed all of my concern, saying that he was finally being the sort of man he was supposed to be, and that the "medical mafia" is trying to make the godly parts of him disappear.

I again told him that he wouldn't be seeing the kids or me until he saw a doctor. As soon as I said that he hung up.

I already blocked him on social media, but my brother sent me a screenshot soon after of a facebook post he made. It was an unfocused rant that went on for several paragraphs about how doctors and satan had gotten to me and that I was hurting our daughter by letting her wear "sinful clothing" and that I was setting her up to be harmed by vicious men in the workplace.

All the comments were his friends telling him he was scaring them, nobody was on his side. He said they had to cast satan out of their hearts.

When I saw this, I couldn't stop crying. I knew it was over then. There's no way I could make him better if he doesn't want to get better. I sat the kids down and told them I was going to start the process of getting a divorce. They took it really well, and Joan just kept saying thank you.

I asked her if anything had happened other than words from him that I didn't know about, and thankfully she said no, and Eric said the same.

So that's pretty much where things are. We're safe, and he can't get access to my finances. I'm looking for a place of our own since the house is in his name, and I'm going to send my brother and his husband to get our stuff while he's at work tomorrow. I'm looking into lawyers now.

Thank you all for everything, and I'll update as things continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Clocks posted:

I do think it's hilarious she wrote all that up, about strong convictions etc and then never actually mentioned which "side" she was on.

She probably (correctly) assumed that if she elaborated on what their beliefs were, that reddit would just side with whoever is farther left, rather than answer the actual question regarding whether she is justified in being upset with her boyfriend that lied to her for 6 months.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

My parents did that with me and my sister at least once a year when we were in grade school, usually for visiting relatives or spring/fall camping trips. It's generally fine as long as you let the teacher know in advance. From grade 4 onwards they'd usually give us some sort of project or homework to do related to the trip we were going on.

Yeah when I took the kids camping in the spring the teacher just said that they'd learn more camping then they would in second grade.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Fatty posted:

Starts off worryingly abusive, turns wholesome AF.

My (m34) wife (f32) has been cutting the strings off my pajama pants and she won’t admit to it. Not sure why?

Recently I took an informal inventory of my pajamas and counted two old work t-shirts with the collars cut out, ancient sweatpants, a pair of flannel pajama pants that I made* that don't fit, a sweatshirt that's slowly unraveling at the collar, and a twenty-year-old super-cheap Old Navy cashmere sweater that's thirty percent moth holes. It's comfortable but the price I pay for comfort is looking like a walking garbage dump. Meanwhile this dude has FIVE pairs of pajama pants that are probably pretty nice.

I really need to get it together.

*I can sew a lot of things but pajama pants are like the only thing I can sew quickly and without messing up

limp_cheese posted:

Then again the doctors also can't tell me what type of TBI I have. They've told me its medically impossible for me not to have one but what that means? :shrug:

Well, you're posting here . . .

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BrigadierSensible posted:

Well they are crafty and cunning creatures. Always hiding their true abilities.

You could argue that they've been...sea lyin'

:downsrim:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For telling my boyfriend to stop eating food off the floor?

Is the OP dating a dog or loving patient zero from all the zombie movies?

Why are kisses even happening to get grossed out by after this

Lottery of Babylon posted:

please make sure you are thinking of the garbage chicken with rationality

My (34f) boyfriend (39m) lied about political beliefs for 6 months. Can we make it work?

Honestly both of these people sound frustrating. I really want to read her manifesto to find out what her "ideology" is. The guy's I can pretty much guess (South Park conservative)

Theophany posted:

Based on what she posted there's no evidence to suggest he is some closeted alt-right shitlord? If anything, the six month wait to gently caress and her going on about the 'morality' of his views lends itself more to the Christian Right, because after all only Godly folk can be the arbiters of what views are moral and correct, no?

That being said, they should clearly break up because whatever her politics are they're important enough to her to be upset about his.

Twist, he's a communist. Lib OP would find that equally objectionable to him being a Nazi of some kind.

Clocks posted:

Honestly I could at least relate to her post in the sense I also have strong convictions and opinions. I'm also massively leftist leaning and I think it'd be impossible to date me without finding that out pretty fast. Quite frankly I also don't have any interest in dating someone who's at all conservative because I feel like their world views are so different from my own that I wouldn't be able to reconcile the differences. I'm also really not interested in debating anything. If it's a friend or a partner I've known for ages and they have an opinion that feels like it's coming out of left field I will of course poke their brains about it, but if we can't agree on basic premises then we wouldn't even get to that stage in the first place.

I do think it's hilarious she wrote all that up, about strong convictions etc and then never actually mentioned which "side" she was on.

Yeah I make fun but I would have no patience with this either, I need to be able to make fun of poo poo with my partner and if we had night and day political views that'd be impossible.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 12, 2023

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Deified Data posted:

Why are kisses even happening to get grossed out by after this

Honestly both of these people sound frustrating. I really want to read her manifesto to find out what her "ideology" is. The guy's I can pretty much guess (South Park conservative)

Twist, he's a communist. Lib OP would find that equally objectionable to him being a Nazi of some kind.

Yeah I make fun but I would have no patience with this either, I need to be able to make fun of poo poo with my partner and if we had night and day political views that'd be impossible.

They're not even night and day, he's a generic left-leaner that agrees with all her deal breakers and votes Democrat, but would generally prefer not to spend every waking moment talking about politics, whereas she's an exhausting Twitter leftist.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I had an ex who I shared political views with... But not in the humour used to approach those topics. Really just couldn't joke or talk about politics at all because she would get instantly super depressed and bummed out just at the thought of whatever garbo was going on that day and forever. Just a bad matchup despite never actually disagreeing with the content of what was said or joked about.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cerekk posted:

They're not even night and day, he's a generic left-leaner that agrees with all her deal breakers and votes Democrat, but would generally prefer not to spend every waking moment talking about politics, whereas she's an exhausting Twitter leftist.

:confused: She specifically says he disagrees with at least one dealbreaker and has kept his opinions to himself because he knows she doesn't agree.

Not necessarily wrong about being an exhausting Twitter leftist though.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

WIBTA for asking my sister to make payments to me?

you buy a fuckin sheet cake and call up friends and family to invite them over. there, i just saved you ten thousand goddamn dollars jesus loving christ where do idiots get this kind of money god drat

Lol my sister used to do poo poo like that to my brother until he learned to just do his own thing. though not nearly to the tune of 10k op should have just backed out of as much poo poo as possible and told her mom what a flaky rear end in a top hat the sister is.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
In which a narcissistic estranged parent comes to (partially understand) just how awful she is - but only after burning down every single family relationship she had.

Part I [2019]
AITA for “ruining” my daughters graduation?

quote:

My daughter and I have been estranged for about five years now and have recently reconnected and are working on, slowly, repairing our relationship. As part of this she’s been airing out various grievances she’s been holding against me all these years as she doesn’t think holding onto them is “conducive to a healthy relationship”. A lot of these things are petty teenage grievances I can’t believe she hasn’t let go of yet, but one of them stuck out to me. I mentioned it to my husband and he expressed disbelief and disappointment in me for my actions at the time. I maintain that I didn’t do anything wrong but his reaction has me curious.

Her email to me about the situation: My graduation was another thing. I don’t know if you remember but you refused to let Gran come even though I told you how much I wanted to her there because of how she’d supported me throughout uni. When I told you I invited her you said you wouldn’t come if she was there so I had to disinvite her by lying about their being a limit on tickets per person. As if that wasn’t bad enough, you and Daddy refused to sit with each other, take pictures with me or even go out for a celebratory meal afterwards. I have ONE picture from my graduation...one...and it wasn’t even the professional one, it was just one my friend took on her phone of me. I don’t think you and Dad dealt with your split very well AT ALL in regards to your children but it really hurt me that you (the both of you) would be so selfish about that. I just wanted one afternoon.

For background, I am estranged from my own mother and have split up with her father. She says it was selfish of me not to allow my mother to attend her graduation or to spend extra time with her father, but I think it was selfish of her to ask that of me. It’s bad enough that she continues to keep in contact with her grandmother when I asked her not to. Anyway, I want to know if I really was the rear end in a top hat here.

ETA: Though I disagree that my feelings weren't even worthy of consideration in this situation. Would it not have been best if asked me for compromise? For example, I would attend the graduation and she could have a celebratory meal with her father and grandmother separately afterwards?

But I can see here that the overwhelming consensus is that, in this instance, I was the rear end in a top hat to my daughter. Fine. I'll apologize again.
I'm going to be furious and ruin everything because my daughter didn't rearrange her big day around me me me and my needs. Also, I can't believe she's still holding a petty teenage grudge against me, just because I hosed up a day that was very important to her and was supposed to be about her and celebrating her huge accomplishment.

OP in comments posted:

Should a child not respect their mother's wishes about who they should or shouldn't talk to??? I've asked my children many times not to keep in contact with my mother and they still disobey me, I don't think it's surprising that I wouldn't want to be seated with her.

HA! That's a word my daughter keeps throwing about. I'm not a "narcissist" if anything she is.

Petty stuff you would expect someone to grow up and move on about once they became an adult.

I was asking hoping I would get some clarity on the situation that would perhaps change my view but I can see that was a hopeless wish now.
Four years later...

Part II [2023]
UPDATE: AITA for “ruining” my daughters graduation?

quote:

Hi. It's been a while and I'm not sure if anyone would even care at this point but I accidentally logged into my throwaway on an old laptop and remembered this.

Quite frankly, I'm really embarasssed and ashamed to reread my original post. My attitude was terrible and it's one of those moments I wish I could go back in time and shake some sense into my past self. As many people in the comments predicted, I know longer have a relationship of any kind with my daughter, or two of my other kids. COVID and lockdowns did a number on our family, I'll just say that.

I've been doing a LOT of reflecting and therapy over the last year and I realise I've not been the kind of mother my children have needed in their lives. I have no contact with my daughter now - who has married and moved abroad now - and, from her wishes, this will not be changing anytime soon. I also have very little contact with two of my other children. My relationship with my final child is strained and I am doing everything I can not to break it.

After having logged into this account again and seeing that post, I find myself desperately wishing to go back in time and maybe I could've stopped the breaking of my family if I'd behaved differently here.

I don't really know what I want to say here. Maybe just hopefully encourage one person who has been deemed 'the rear end in a top hat' to reflect sooner rather than later and maybe their lives won't go the same way as mine.

ETA: I'm going to log out of this account again now. Maybe I'll pop in again in another four years with better news. Thank you for the comments and advice I've received. And to those who think I'm beyond redemption, I truly hope you're wrong.
LOL. Mom of the year has had three of her four kids go NC with her (one even fleeing the hemisphere to get away) and the last is hanging on by a string. Sowing/reaping/etc.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

r/relationships: I'm not a "narcissist" if anything she is.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain Hygiene posted:

r/relationships: I'm not a "narcissist" if anything she is.
I actually snorted out loud when I read that line. It's so wonderfully Trumpian, too. "Not narcissist, not narcissist, in fact uh you're the narcissist!!1!"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for getting my hair done before picking up my son from school after the school told me he was sick

quote:

The school nurse had called me and told me that my (f34) son (m7) isn't feeling well and ended up vomiting and needed to go home. If this were any other day I would have picked him up with no brainer. But I was already on my way to get my hair done and my stylist charges extra if you change dates the day off and I didn't want too so I told the nurse that I might be running a little late so she said that's fine, I later went to go and pick up my son he was sleeping. When I got home my husband (m38) asked why I didn't just inform him about what happened so that he could have been home much earlier, and he also said that what I did was selfish on my end. He said it as if I prioritized my hair over my own son which isn't true the entire time I was just hoping he was ok I'm not a bad or selfish mother. AITA for getting my hair done before picking up my son?

quote:

So what if you would be charged for canceling the appointment? Just reschedule

OP posted:

You get charged extra FOR rescheduling and its $15 which is bullshit and there was no way I was gonna do that

how's your new haircut tho

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Fill her shampoo and conditioner bottles with vomit.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Not a first child.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Deified Data posted:

i'm always like, what the gently caress do two people with opposing values even talk about on the day-to-day? 'not talking politics' pretty much limits you to only loving, or one of you lying constantly to keep the peace, like OP's bf.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For telling my boyfriend to stop eating food off the floor?

Is the OP dating a dog or loving patient zero from all the zombie movies?

Motherfucker is like the protagonist of a Bethesda game.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for telling a guy he’s socially incompetent because he was rude the entire dinner?

quote:

So yesterday I was sitting at dinner at our college dining hall with a friend of mine, a guy I met from my class, and his friend. His friend was fine at first but gradually he became the most annoying person I’ve ever met, lemme explain.

He constantly interrupted everyone at the table, told stories that were completely unrelated to the stories being shared at the time, and everything that came out of his mouth was about him. Literally nobody else. No questions, no comments about what someone previously had said, just what he wants to say next about HIM. This man was 23 acting like a 10 year old.

By around what felt like the fifth time he interrupted me, he proceeded to cut my friend off when she was right in the middle of a story with some bullshit. I said “excuse me, my friend was talking.” He said sorry. And loving continued to interrupt us when we were talking.

I was ready for this dinner to be over since he already ruined it, and his friend could tell we were done with his social incompetence. His friend said they had to go and we breathed a sigh of relief. As we were leaving, he tried to hug me and I dodged the hug. He said something along the lines of “this was really fun, I want to ask for your number” , hitting on me, and I just said seriously? no. He said why not. I hesitated, looked at my friend, and told him the truth. That he was rude all night long, constantly interrupted us, and did not seem to understand any social cues. He seemed visibly upset and his friend shook my hand and they walked off. Every part of that man made me uncomfortable to my core, his behavior was just horrible. I wish you could’ve seen his behavior to understand what I mean. I promise you I’m not overreacting; usually people like this seem ignorable but he was speaking every five seconds.

My friend told me she understood why I said that but it was really bitchy of me and that I need to work on my reactions. I told her that I was so done by the end of the night with his audacity and blindness that I snapped. I feel pretty bad, but at the same time, our other roommates told us that I was being reasonable after I explained the situation. My friend said that “I shouldn’t put effort into pleasing weird men or making them feel comfortable.” I still feel lovely.

Update, I blocked his snapchat account and he dmed me on instagram. I am so done with this creep. Like I didn’t even know that people like this existed

well, we all have to find out sometime

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

StrangersInTheNight posted:

i'm always like, what the gently caress do two people with opposing values even talk about on the day-to-day? 'not talking politics' pretty much limits you to only loving, or one of you lying constantly to keep the peace, like OP's bf.

There's so many of them that I just assume they're like every other bog-standard straight couple that doesn't meaningfully talk or communicate and stay together out of obligation.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

My favorite thing about terrible people is that they whine about everyone else in their life and people go "sounds like you might be a narcissist" or "maybe you should get checked out for ADHD" or something like that, and they freak the gently caress out like "Why does EVERYONE keep telling me that??" and accidentally confirm to you that everyone else in their life agrees with you.

I wonder what life must be like for those people. Do they think there's some sort of conspiracy between everyone in the world? Do they think they have an invisible sign on their forehead that everyone else can see?

It's kinda like the saying that if you meet an rear end in a top hat, then you just met an rear end in a top hat. But if everyone you meet is an rear end in a top hat, you might be an rear end in a top hat. If everyone who has known you all their lives, and everyone who has just met you, and everyone who doesn't know anything about you except what you tell them all say the same thing... it might be true?

A Moose fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 12, 2023

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

It's insanely easy even for couples that do in fact agree with each other to avoid ever talking politics

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I liked sleeping on those weird table bed things the nurse had with curtains to darken the area.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

If you have the same political views as your partner, what is there to talk about?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cerekk posted:

If you have the same political views as your partner, what is there to talk about?

The weather?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

A Moose posted:

My favorite thing about terrible people is that they whine about everyone else in their life and people go "sounds like you might be a narcissist" or "maybe you should get checked out for ADHD" or something like that, and they freak the gently caress out like "Why does EVERYONE keep telling me that??" and accidentally confirm to you that everyone else in their life agrees with you.

I wonder what life must be like for those people. Do they think there's some sort of conspiracy between everyone in the world? Do they think they have an invisible sign on their forehead that everyone else can see?

It's kinda like the saying that if you meet an rear end in a top hat, then you just met an rear end in a top hat. But if everyone you meet is an rear end in a top hat, you might be an rear end in a top hat. If everyone who has known you all their lives, and everyone who has just met you, and everyone who doesn't know anything about you except what you tell them all say the same thing... it might be true?
My mom's a narcissist (not officially diagnosed or anything mind you, that would be exceptionally hard to do) and from all the pondering I've done over it about my entire life, the only thing I can conclude is that their brains and thought processes literally work in a very different way than other people's. She seems incapable of self-reflecting or considering herself wrong even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

That's just some mental illness for you.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Me and my partner have differing views on politics and we have great discussions.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cerekk posted:

When the next mutual aid event is?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Clocks posted:

My mom's a narcissist (not officially diagnosed or anything mind you, that would be exceptionally hard to do) and from all the pondering I've done over it about my entire life, the only thing I can conclude is that their brains and thought processes literally work in a very different way than other people's. She seems incapable of self-reflecting or considering herself wrong even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

That's just some mental illness for you.

From what I have seen, a lot of the time it's like there's a mirror right at the front of their brains, and if even the slightest hint of criticism is directed at them, the mirror springs into action, almost before they have even begun to process the actual content of the criticism.

Immediate, reflexive leap to either defensiveness or attack mode.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

FMguru posted:

In which a narcissistic estranged parent comes to (partially understand) just how awful she is - but only after burning down every single family relationship she had.

Part I [2019]
AITA for “ruining” my daughters graduation?

I'm going to be furious and ruin everything because my daughter didn't rearrange her big day around me me me and my needs. Also, I can't believe she's still holding a petty teenage grudge against me, just because I hosed up a day that was very important to her and was supposed to be about her and celebrating her huge accomplishment.

Four years later...

Part II [2023]
UPDATE: AITA for “ruining” my daughters graduation?

LOL. Mom of the year has had three of her four kids go NC with her (one even fleeing the hemisphere to get away) and the last is hanging on by a string. Sowing/reaping/etc.

How does she reconcile "my daughter should unquestioningly obey me because I am her mother" with her own refusal to speak to her own mother?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

How does she reconcile "my daughter should unquestioningly obey me because I am her mother" with her own refusal to speak to her own mother?

Easily, because in both cases she believes she gets to make the decision. Her deciding to not speak to her mother is fine, but she didn’t decide to not be spoken to by her daughter so it’s wrong.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Regardless of what you call it, she had a belief that she was the main character of her life, and everyone should defer to her.

Spoiler: it didn’t work out

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The same she reconciles telling her daughter to "grow up and move on" while still refusing to get over her years-ago divorce - by using the magic of narcissism!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Because her 20+ year old daughter is a child, children obey their mothers, she's a grown up and diesn't need to listen to that beotch.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cacator posted:

The weather?

Cat pics on the internet?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

People like this aren't in the business of reconciling conflicting ideas, they're in the business of never being wrong, ever.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

small ghost posted:

AITA for telling my boyfriend not to spit in our food?

Am I the Atreides?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Pookah posted:

From what I have seen, a lot of the time it's like there's a mirror right at the front of their brains, and if even the slightest hint of criticism is directed at them, the mirror springs into action, almost before they have even begun to process the actual content of the criticism.

Immediate, reflexive leap to either defensiveness or attack mode.

That's a fantastic description of it. I've always imagined it like lobbing a soft tennis shot at them (ie some criticism) and they will return it with tenfold force right at your face.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Clocks posted:

That's a fantastic description of it. I've always imagined it like lobbing a soft tennis shot at them (ie some criticism) and they will return it with tenfold force right at your face.

Oh yeah, I know that one; it's like you threw a pebble and they respond with a nuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Clocks posted:

My mom's a narcissist (not officially diagnosed or anything mind you, that would be exceptionally hard to do) and from all the pondering I've done over it about my entire life, the only thing I can conclude is that their brains and thought processes literally work in a very different way than other people's.
They do. The internet's insistence on characterizing all arrogance, selfishness and run-of-the-mill rear end in a top hat behavior as narcissism or NPD is really harmful, IMO, because proper narcissists are actually crazy and do not exist in consensus reality in a meaningful sense.

If you think of them as just regular assholes but worse, and try to deal with them accordingly, they can do a tremendous amount of damage before you finally get wise.