Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Agents are GO! posted:

How would you know if they were plague rats? Did they buy themselves transphobic avatars?

What are you talking about?

Barudak posted:

The poster Some Plague Rats who got permabaned for buying themselves transphobic avatars then accusing their posting enemies of having bought them

Oh! I thought they were calling Dr. Girlfriend transphobic.

Carry on then!

Bored fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bored posted:

What are you talking about?

The poster Some Plague Rats who got permabaned for buying themselves transphobic avatars then accusing their posting enemies of having bought them

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I swear my forums subscription is the best value for any money I ever spent on entertainment.

The referenced story. The doomed hotdog stand. The doomed house renovation(s). The... events in re: Party Plane Jones. The list of incomprehensible but vastly entertaining decisions just goes on.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
My conservative coworkers always having political "discussions" (aka repeating ancient Fox News talking points about flash mobs robbing department stores) but when someone slightly left-of-center dares speak up, they get mad at them for making things political. I'm scared to bring it up to HR because when I've done that in the past, all that happens is the political discussions get louder and I get a reputation as being oversensitive. I guess all I have to do is wait for a customer to overhear and complain.

I have headphones on, but these guys are so loud that they even drown out headphones at max volume. I've asked them to quiet down so I can focus and that lasts maybe 30 seconds at a time before they're back to hollering.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

If you're serious re: HR, don't mention the politics just mention the loudness / productivity.

Interesting with productivity = HR's job to do something to fix.
Employees complaining about each other's politics = the pets are fighting again get the squirt bottle.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Atopian posted:

If you're serious re: HR, don't mention the politics just mention the loudness / productivity.

Interesting with productivity = HR's job to do something to fix.
Employees complaining about each other's politics = the pets are fighting again get the squirt bottle.

That's what I did last time. HR's response was to out a company wide email reminding people to refrain from inappropriate discussions in the office. And when you're in a small enough office it's pretty obvious who complained.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Also document everything and CYA in triplicate. Make recordings on your phone. Even America has to pay lip service to workplace fair treatment so keeping receipts may come in handy later on.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Barudak posted:

Don't forget that they would've gotten away with it if they hadn't tried to save $5.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Takes No Damage posted:

Make recordings on your phone.

Do not do this if you work with tech data or commodities controlled under the ITAR or EAR

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah make sure you're in a 1 party consent state

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Atopian posted:

I swear my forums subscription is the best value for any money I ever spent on entertainment.

The referenced story. The doomed hotdog stand. The doomed house renovation(s). The... events in re: Party Plane Jones. The list of incomprehensible but vastly entertaining decisions just goes on.

The wrestling and mma forum just had a guy fake his death lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some people are great believers in kayfabe.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

History Comes Inside! posted:

The wrestling and mma forum just had a guy fake his death lol

Is that a kayfabe thing?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone gonna put the details in SAclopedia?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Outrail posted:

I'm pretty sure that matters if there's an expectation of privacy. If people are making GBS threads across the office I'm pretty sure it's fair to just record that since everyone can hear it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rawrbomb posted:

Just seeing the writing on the walls (that its a sinking ship), I know you're sticking it out for your own reasons, just I guess don't expect that money to be there right now or be planning on it. Given the other things you've said.

Currently she needs the money more than me. I actually just added a couple of days off to my book on either side of my wedding anniversary. I'm gonna paint some warhammers and order some takeout

e: She WILL take it out on me when I get back. She makes sure (it cannot be coincidence) that the maximum about of poo poo is hosed up in the shop whenever I'm back from a day off or god forbid, I'm sick.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Outrail posted:

Is that a kayfabe thing?

Nah it’s hosed, dude told a bunch of people he was dying of cancer and now like 18 months after ‘his wife’ passed on a message via goon friends that he’d died people noticed he was still playing CoD or something and the whole story unraveled

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388320&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=160#post523019326 here’s his last post about being just about done, he’s declared dead like a page later and then it all pops off again a few pages after that

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Munchausen's? Grift? Weird inability to just ghost people on the internet?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
"That last run of bets and everyone joining in really meant a lot to him." is the saddest thing I've ever loving read, and that's before the deception

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Holy poo poo, this website

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Do not do this if you work with tech data or commodities controlled under the ITAR or EAR

Reminds me of when we had a new employee just complete his initial training, which included a half hour lesson (with a quiz) on using a smartphone on site and what is and isn't allowed. For years you needed to prove you had disabled the camera on any phone you brought on site, but about a year earlier a new data security VP came in and changed the policy so that you could have a camera enabled phone on you, but we were on the honor system that you wouldn't take pictures or videos. This guy was caught FaceTiming at his desk during our designated lunch half-hour because he thought that didn't count at being at work. Oddly, that should have gotten him fired, but instead he was given a pass because he was still training. Like a week later he tried to impress people in the parking lot by pulling a wheelie on his motorcycle and broke his leg in the process. That was one of those "I need to get out of here before it gets stupider" moments.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
A few years back we had a guy in the veterans sub forum lie about serving which isn’t too crazy but he kept the charade up for a few years I think, he was even posting how dfas hosed up his pay which if you’ve ever been in you’d know that’s super common. It was kinda ridiculous how much he played into the role

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Man I've been really missing out by just posting as myself

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

How are all you M-Fers doing today? At home relaxing or taking care of a to do list, out shopping and running errands, at your favorite spot getting a nice big breakfast, maybe taking a short weekend trip. Me? Oh, just on another work trip with my boomer coworker.

I've now been totally educated on Palestine, Israel, Iran, and US foreign aid.
gently caress this trip. gently caress this bullshit.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I was special forces in the HVAC unit ama, except for crypto clearance stuff, y'all know it is with us pugheads, can't to talk about any incel we want.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Man I've been really missing out by just posting as myself

Yeah same, I'm just a lightly pseudonymized version of my offline self. Definitely a lost opportunity - I could have gone mad with power and pretended to be Swedish instead.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Computer viking posted:

Yeah same, I'm just a lightly pseudonymized version of my offline self. Definitely a lost opportunity - I could have gone mad with power and pretended to be Swedish instead.

Tyø yur åtl hø sooten gåtrunen?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Ah yes fair point. I'm in a one party state so sometimes I forget about that. Something Awful is not a source for legal advice. Always consult your local laws and regulations.

Hotel Kpro posted:

A few years back we had a guy in the veterans sub forum lie about serving which isn’t too crazy but he kept the charade up for a few years I think, he was even posting how dfas hosed up his pay which if you’ve ever been in you’d know that’s super common. It was kinda ridiculous how much he played into the role

It only lasted a few months I think, but GunChicka or something impersonated a cute girl in a wheelchair in the PYF Selfies thread a few years back :psyduck:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Zopotantor posted:

Tyø yur åtl hø sooten gåtrunen?

That's Norwegian, it'd be "Työ yunr åtl hö sooten gåtrunan" in proper Swedish.

e: The joke is that I'm Norwegian - Swedish is about as foreign to me as drunk Australian to Americans, and I'm just a short train ride from the border. Set realistic goals, etc.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 12, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In a meeting where higher ups want a monthly performance report to open the meeting and then, at the end, a monthly performance report. Someone asked "how are these two performance reports in the same meeting different?"

"Well, Im sure they are" with no clarification.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Barudak posted:

In a meeting where higher ups want a monthly performance report to open the meeting and then, at the end, a monthly performance report. Someone asked "how are these two performance reports in the same meeting different?"

Which one has the Singapore numbers?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Report about how many sales you avoided making by having everyone sitting in the meeting

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barudak posted:

Amend the second report with their actions taken during the report.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Horror of horrors, I have a boss who thinks that they can write.

They're insisting that I send out a newsletter to an audience that is ~90% ESL / limited English ability, and the language they have used is... "formal purple"? If that's a thing?

Imagine someone in highschool who has just learned a bunch of big words and is desperate to show each and every one of them off. Only they're 40something and in charge.

"transpired"
"camaraderie"
"bestowed"
"convocation"
"loftier"
"echelon"
"surmount"

It's relentless intolerable poo poo from beginning to end, those are just the lowlights.
I feel actual disgust at the thought of sending this out with my name next to it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Atopian posted:

They're insisting that I send out a newsletter to an audience that is ~90% ESL / limited English ability, and the language they have used is... "formal purple"? If that's a thing?

Imagine someone in highschool who has just learned a bunch of big words and is desperate to show each and every one of them off. Only they're 40something and in charge.

"transpired"
"camaraderie"
"bestowed"
"convocation"
"loftier"
"echelon"
"surmount"

It's relentless intolerable poo poo from beginning to end, those are just the lowlights.
I feel actual disgust at the thought of sending this out with my name next to it.

As a translator, I saw Ew to your boss.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

peanut posted:

As a translator, I saw Ew to your boss.

Did you mean "nauseating"?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Zopotantor posted:

Did you mean "nauseating"?

Its oleaginous ordure offends one's olfaction.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Atopian posted:

"transpired"
"camaraderie"
"bestowed"
"convocation"
"loftier"
"echelon"
"surmount"

One of our new c-levels likes to send out monthly emails that I guess are supposed to be newsletters, but they're all like 6 paragraphs long of content that reads like something between the intro to that 9-11 cookie recipe and the yearly update letter olds put in family Christmas cards with some vague ramblings about his fond memories of other jobs then buried somewhere in the middle is "Steve will be leaving as our executive vice president in charge of who gives a poo poo at the end of the month, or as my kids have always called it 'November Eve!'"

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

One of the good things about having so many ESL colleagues is that all correspondence is straightforward and workmanlike.

The other good thing is that I got to see the spread of the “ligma” joke through our Arabic speakers, culminating in one talented guy becoming the Arabic equivalent of the “King of Ligma”, so that was fun.