Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Negative Decks are the one deck type I avoid. Not that I cannot navigate it, but either Mr. Negative never shows up on time or the best cards for Mr. Negative are already in my hand. I have the worst luck with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Typically it's Mr negative is plan a and bast is plan b and you do the best you can. In a world with Alioth and mmm you aren't going to be very happy very often though

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Is the forge 'nerf' not a substantial buff to the degenerate kitty bounce decks?

Also for stuff like beast/falcon

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

OTA report: High Evo is still the dullest poo poo on the planet to play against and should be nerfed into the dumpster, why is everyone and their loving dog playing this

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Cabbit posted:

OTA report: High Evo is still the dullest poo poo on the planet to play against and should be nerfed into the dumpster, why is everyone and their loving dog playing this

It’s fun to play and has a lot of different options. I don’t get the High Evo hate when Mobius or Cage literally make every HE tool useless (except for Hulk), where Alioth Lockdown basically punishes you for not having perfect draw

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

wyoak posted:

Alioth nerf seems substantial, Jeff ties him and he loses to Captain Marvel, Silk, and Doombots, and if you’ve got prio Colossus ties and Armor + basically anything wins

It's better than nothing, but most people play Alioth with priority. The card could be a 6/0 and would still be massively overtuned, similar to how Galactus was when he was a 6/2 before his current stipulation was added. But that's standard for Second Dinner, and people will complain about the card for the next 3 or 4 months until it reaches its final form.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Beasteh posted:

Is the forge 'nerf' not a substantial buff to the degenerate kitty bounce decks?

Also for stuff like beast/falcon
They mention this in the OTA notes. They are going to be monitoring it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also, someone help me. These youtubers are making me consider spending tokens on Man Thing, and I only have just enough. The only other S4 card I'm even mildly interested in is Master Mold, and I don't know if it's worth it for me to hoard for an S5.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Bad Video Games posted:

Also, someone help me. These youtubers are making me consider spending tokens on Man Thing, and I only have just enough. The only other S4 card I'm even mildly interested in is Master Mold, and I don't know if it's worth it for me to hoard for an S5.

I have Man Thing, he’s a lot of fun, a very cool card, but not worth 3000 tokens, especially in this meta

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Sandwolf posted:

It’s fun to play and has a lot of different options. I don’t get the High Evo hate when Mobius or Cage literally make every HE tool useless (except for Hulk), where Alioth Lockdown basically punishes you for not having perfect draw

I realize fun is, you know, subjective but I really don't see how it is. Luke only works if you draw him, and half of High Evo's poo poo is getting power cranked up for not soaking all your energy anyway.

I'm sick of losing to Xavier in one lane because I don't own Jeff and a 20 power Hulk in the other, or to all my cards being useless because Luke didn't draw.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Cabbit posted:

I would say embrace your saviour Lucas P Cage, but standard HE lists run Enchantress/Rogue to switch him back off

I've played a lot of HE since I'm brand new and I started the week he was in spotlight, and it's such a predictable dull as dishwater archetype - it crumbles to any kind of lockdown/move shenanigans, and the giant hulk is a massive telegraph to hold Shang-Chi

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 12, 2023

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Sandwolf posted:

I have Man Thing, he’s a lot of fun, a very cool card, but not worth 3000 tokens, especially in this meta

He's also not worth a Spotlight unless he shows up with some great picks. I only have 2 of those, and I'm hoping for a third for Ghost Spider. So he's basically worthless.

Thanks. I'll sleep on it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's good if your opponent doesn't have Cage in his deck, but I imagine a lot of people will be doing that

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bad Video Games posted:

Rule of thumb: Save your tokens for cards you really, really, really, really want. Spending a spotlight to gamble on a card you think is fun is good, because your approach to this game should be to have fun. If a spotlight has Ravonna and you plan to play a lot of decks that will use her, or/and you like the character, go hog wild. Don't get a card because you heard it's meta or you think you're supposed to unless you're that kind of player, I guess.

Disclaimer: Always get Jeff if you don't have him, he loving rules

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Bad Video Games posted:

He's also not worth a Spotlight unless he shows up with some great picks. I only have 2 of those, and I'm hoping for a third for Ghost Spider. So he's basically worthless.

Thanks. I'll sleep on it.

Man Thing is in a spotlight in December with Firestar and Ravonna Renslayer! Which is a good week for me and the Man Thing variant that week is sexpot

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Red posted:

Jeff still being series five and the extremely slow trickle of collector's tokens means if you start saving now you should probably be able to afford him the day after the game sunsets, so look forward to that.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Cabbit posted:

Jeff still being series five and the extremely slow trickle of collector's tokens means if you start saving now you should probably be able to afford him the day after the game sunsets, so look forward to that.

Casual reminder it takes SIX MONTHS of stashing freely-given collector’s tokens to access one (1) Series Five card.

loving spotlights bullshit.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Red posted:

Rule of thumb: Save your tokens for cards you really, really, really, really want. Spending a spotlight to gamble on a card you think is fun is good, because your approach to this game should be to have fun. If a spotlight has Ravonna and you plan to play a lot of decks that will use her, or/and you like the character, go hog wild. Don't get a card because you heard it's meta or you think you're supposed to unless you're that kind of player, I guess.

Oh, I know. I spent about 6 months and $100 chasing the meta in this game. It's not worth it. I only target cards that look fun for me. I bought Loki because he's another bit of consistency for Agatha, and I really enjoy memeing with Agatha.

Man Thing looks fun, but I'm just not sure how much I would enjoy using him. Unlike Ghost Spider who fits into at least 3 decks, and I have another I want to build for her.

Sandwolf posted:

Man Thing is in a spotlight in December with Firestar and Ravonna Renslayer! Which is a good week for me and the Man Thing variant that week is sexpot

Firestar looks okay for zoo and miracle decks. Maybe? Seems weird.

Where's my loving Marvel Boy? She needs her boyfriend.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Sandwolf posted:

Casual reminder it takes SIX MONTHS of stashing freely-given collector’s tokens to access one (1) Series Five card.

loving spotlights bullshit.

The only reason I have 3,000 is because I bought the last 2 Token Tuesday's. But now I'm out of gold.

Spotlights are a very large part of why I quit this game for 4 months.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Are conquest queue times super long in specific categories? Spending 15m in a queue for Gold

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
No matter what I do I always have a news notification on the PC client now and it's driving me up the wall

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Same for me on mobile. No idea what the deal is there but yea it’s annoying

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

I've been using him for a while and he's been doing fine for me. I've at least been able to hit 95. But yeah, maybe it's time I drop him for Nebula.

huh?! if you've been using quicksilver instead of nebula... :commissar:

Bad Video Games posted:

absolutely not worth a spotlight or 3k tokens. skip. Skip, S-K-I-P. that's halfway to jeff, an actually good card.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
EDIT: nm, misread card.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Devo posted:

No matter what I do I always have a news notification on the PC client now and it's driving me up the wall

Yeah they added it but weirdly enough it's bugged. Strangest thing, they're normally very good with QA.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Last King posted:

absolutely not worth a spotlight or 3k tokens. skip. Skip, S-K-I-P. that's halfway to jeff, an actually good card.

I had Jeff pinned, but today unpinned it. I'm just under 3k off and I'll be saving caches for December and should have plenty of I don't spend them

Then again, I dumped two and four Man Thing and a duplicate Knull -_-

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I think it pops up anytime they update any little bit in the news section, most of which is hard to notice

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

Same for me on mobile. No idea what the deal is there but yea it’s annoying

I had this thing many months ago, but it went away after opening Settings > Player Support and marking some bizarre support message that had nothing to do with my account as read.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
If it was up to me, I would handle series drops as follows. All season pass cards should eventually drop to Series 3. Let's say, three months after their release. They are obviously designed to be more impactful than the average new weekly card releases, and this would give a fair access to them to all players. No other cards would drop to Series 3. All new cards should be released to Series 5. In return, older Series 5 cards would eventually be dropped to Series 4 with few exceptions like the big bads. This should be done in a way that Series 4 and 5 always have an approximately equal number of cards between them.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Okay, here's an edge case that annoyed me.

If the opponent plays Shuri, then you Alioth their next card on the Shuri lane, it's as if they never played a card that was Shuri'd. And thus, on the followingturn, the opponent's card there still gets double points.

Man, I calculated everything perfectly too, and assuming the Shuri doubling didn't happen, would have won by 1 on the middle and by 6 on the right. Aaaaaa

(Sure I might have still lost from Typhoid Mary Ebony Maw but y'know)

Artelier fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 13, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Artelier posted:

Okay, here's an edge case that annoyed me.

If the opponent plays Shuri, then you Alioth their next card on the Shuri lane, it's as if they never played a card that was Shuri'd. And thus, on the followingturn, the opponent's card there still gets double points.

Man, I calculated everything perfectly too, and assuming the Shuri doubling didn't happen, would have won by 1 on the middle and by 6 on the right. Aaaaaa

(Sure I might have still lost from Typhoid Mary Ebony Maw but y'know)

It's because you had priority. If you hadn't then their card would have played and been eaten; because you had prioroty their card was eaten BEFORE it was played, so the next one gets the buff. It's kind of counter intuitive, but consistent

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I have the She Hulk, Dr. Doom and Professor X Midnight Sun's variants in my shop and the new feature to be able to preview upgrades is not making it easy to resist these cards. I'm sitting on over 11k gold as I tend to never buy variants and save up gold in between / for larger bundles. They might get me on some of these, though.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Opopanax posted:

It's because you had priority. If you hadn't then their card would have played and been eaten; because you had prioroty their card was eaten BEFORE it was played, so the next one gets the buff. It's kind of counter intuitive, but consistent

The card was played, I get what your saying but revealed and played are two different things and the text for Shuri should actually be changed to "If you reveal your next card at this location, double its Power."

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

BoldFace posted:

If it was up to me, I would handle series drops as follows. All season pass cards should eventually drop to Series 3. Let's say, three months after their release. They are obviously designed to be more impactful than the average new weekly card releases, and this would give a fair access to them to all players. No other cards would drop to Series 3. All new cards should be released to Series 5. In return, older Series 5 cards would eventually be dropped to Series 4 with few exceptions like the big bads. This should be done in a way that Series 4 and 5 always have an approximately equal number of cards between them.

the problem of series drops is that series 3 is already too big as is, and the more variance you introduce the harder it is for people transitioning out of series 2 to have a competitive deck; ideally, you'd have a 50-60 cards series 3 with cards that are immediately useful to complete the existing archetypes of series 2, then a series 4 with another 50-60 cards that get fancier with it; and so on, with one new series of cards per year; you keep the current odds of getting a new card in a cache for the cards from the current year, and you move every other card to the 1-in-4 odds that they have for series 3, with tokens and free cards to accelerate the pace of progression to current; also, to avoid the meta coalescing around a handful of decks, you release *all* the seasonal cards at the same time

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Protip posted:

I have the She Hulk, Dr. Doom and Professor X Midnight Sun's variants in my shop and the new feature to be able to preview upgrades is not making it easy to resist these cards. I'm sitting on over 11k gold as I tend to never buy variants and save up gold in between / for larger bundles. They might get me on some of these, though.

I bought the Galactus one because I didnt have a variant for him yet and the Midnight Suns one is so good. Was tempted by Doom also but I think I'll try get the Hellfire Gala one for him instead.

I also opened Dan Hipp Black Widow on the day she got buffed, big sign to play Junk decks!

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Today's OTA update seems great. Glad they didn't try to go with a light touch on the stupid angry cloud, and the other changes all seem good.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ElNarez posted:

the problem of series drops is that series 3 is already too big as is, and the more variance you introduce the harder it is for people transitioning out of series 2 to have a competitive deck; ideally, you'd have a 50-60 cards series 3 with cards that are immediately useful to complete the existing archetypes of series 2, then a series 4 with another 50-60 cards that get fancier with it; and so on, with one new series of cards per year; you keep the current odds of getting a new card in a cache for the cards from the current year, and you move every other card to the 1-in-4 odds that they have for series 3, with tokens and free cards to accelerate the pace of progression to current; also, to avoid the meta coalescing around a handful of decks, you release *all* the seasonal cards at the same time

If they just routinely dropped cards from 5 to 4 - including the idiotic big bads - and still allowed series 4 to be a 1 in 40 in caches, it would be a much better system. You could still feature Series 4 and 5 in Spotlights, and it would feel much better to just randomly roll a Stature or Knull or whatever.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Yeah but that wouldn't make them as much money

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Waffleopolis posted:

Negative Decks are the one deck type I avoid. Not that I cannot navigate it, but either Mr. Negative never shows up on time or the best cards for Mr. Negative are already in my hand. I have the worst luck with it.
Tried Mr Negative a lot and he can be really good and satisfying to pull off, but he is 1000% feast or famine based on your draw luck, it's one of those decks where your skills as a player matter less, and also the win rate to make it worthwhile just isn't there. It's a fun theme, but a bad deck, and most crucially, gets boring fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Joink posted:

The card was played, I get what your saying but revealed and played are two different things and the text for Shuri should actually be changed to "If you reveal your next card at this location, double its Power."
You would think they were able to sort out this kind of wording and be specific with it. "Card that cost 3" and "3-Cost card" are at least consistent.
The problem is that "played" means "added from hand with energy and revealed", Alioth specifically has to have extra text to make it clear it also works on unrevealed cards. Leader should technically have that same text, because I bet if through Raft chicanery you played Leader and Alioth in the same turn you would first copy their played, unrevealed card and then destroy it.
It's clumsy language though and should have specific terms like Placed vs. Played to make exactly this kind of poo poo with Shuri more obvious.