Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

You sure it’s not like a grounding issue?
How would I go about investigating that? The sub was working fine with in the same setup since buying it in 2020 before the problems starting happening over the summer.

When I plugged it in again a couple days ago, I did switch sub outputs on my receiver (it's a 25 yo Sony but gets the job done and has 2 sub outs) and changed terminals on the audio cable I was using. I'm using RCA cables, so it goes receiver -> red terminal of RCA cable -> female/female extension couple -> red terminal of another RCA cable -> subwoofer. I had previously been using the black terminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

How would I go about investigating that? The sub was working fine with in the same setup since buying it in 2020 before the problems starting happening over the summer.

When I plugged it in again a couple days ago, I did switch sub outputs on my receiver (it's a 25 yo Sony but gets the job done and has 2 sub outs) and changed terminals on the audio cable I was using. I'm using RCA cables, so it goes receiver -> red terminal of RCA cable -> female/female extension couple -> red terminal of another RCA cable -> subwoofer. I had previously been using the black terminals.

try connecting it with just a single, known good RCA cable closer to the amp to isolate their being some kind of issue like this

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If it’s a ground loop hum this works great:
Subwoofer Isolation Transformer/Ground Loop Hum Eliminator, Blue Jeans Cable Brand, Made in USA https://a.co/d/fwzMefY

I’d guess that not the issue though since it seems intermittent. Could be somewhere in hooking up multiple cables as suggested.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mederlock posted:

try connecting it with just a single, known good RCA cable closer to the amp to isolate their being some kind of issue like this
I don't think that's the issue. Just now, I had nothing plugged into the sub, and as soon as I plugged in the power cable, it made the buzzing sound.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't think that's the issue. Just now, I had nothing plugged into the sub, and as soon as I plugged in the power cable, it made the buzzing sound.

Yeah, your amp is busted internally. Time to swap the amp module for smol :10bux: or buy another sub for big :10bux:

E: you can also just buy one of these off Amazon, crack open the sub, and run the wires that go straight to the speaker to this new amp. If you're fancy, you cut a hole and put in some speaker wire screw terminals or if the amp had speaker wire high level inputs, you desolder the wires leading to that and directly wire the internal speaker wire to those clamp/screw wire terminals. I did the soldering option for my brother's sub and it worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/Subwoofer-Amplifier-Integrated-Fosi-Audio/dp/B07L6FN97Z

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 12, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mederlock posted:

Yeah, your amp is busted internally. Time to swap the amp module for smol :10bux: or buy another sub for big :10bux:

E: you can also just buy one of these off Amazon, crack open the sub, and run the wires that go straight to the speaker to this new amp. If you're fancy, you cut a hole and put in some speaker wire screw terminals or if the amp had speaker wire high level inputs, you desolder the wires leading to that and directly wire the internal speaker wire to those clamp/screw wire terminals. I did the soldering option for my brother's sub and it worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/Subwoofer-Amplifier-Integrated-Fosi-Audio/dp/B07L6FN97Z
Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. I was under the impression that I would connect the sub out on my receiver to an left (or right) RCA input on the amp, then use speaker wire to connect the amp to my sub's high level inputs.

My Sony DE845:

My Hsu STF-2:

However, if I try connecting, say, the right channel on the B group outputs to the high level inputs on the sub and have the receiver output A+B (front speaker are connected to A), it doesn't do anything if the sub isn't plugged into power, nor does it do anything with the power on.

For more info with respect to troubleshooting, when the sub is connected normally and it's buzzing, I can tell it's try to output signal but it sounds like...a skateboard on gravel.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 13, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The high-level inputs on a sub are meant to take the amplified signal for your front L+R speakers, pull out the bass information as dialed in by your crossover, and pass on everything above the LPF to the speakers. So it would be front L+R Speaker terminal <-> Speaker Wire <-> Subwoofer high-level input | Subwoofer "Output to Speakers" <-> Speaker wire <-> Front L+R main speakers.

The other way to get a signal to a subwoofer is by using an RCA Subwoofer out(aka LFE output) on the Receiver, and then feeding a rca cable to the sub's sub/LFE input. No other cables. So Receiver's Sub/LFE out RCA jack <-> RCA cable <-> Subwoofer's Sub input RCA jack.

If the amplifier is fried, the high level inputs will likely not bypass to the sub speakers actual speaker wire terminals. Inside the subwoofer, there's actually a +\- pair of speaker wires from the subwoofer itself to it's built-in amplifier. If the amplifier is broken, you either need to replace the sub's amp with the same one from the manufacturer, and in the process reconnect the internal connections to the sub, OR you can hijack the broken amplifier's high level inputs by cutting off the old wires that go to it internally, and soldering the internal speaker wires directly to that terminal. That way you can grab any generic mono subwoofer amp off amazon like the one I linked, run an RCA cable to it from the Receiver, and then run a speaker wire from the external, new amp directly to the modified high level input terminal, which is directly wired to the subwoofer speaker itself inside. Or you can just drill a hole in the back, and run speaker wire through it directly to the subwoofer speaker wire terminals, you'll need some crimp-on spade connectors from the store for that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mederlock posted:

The high-level inputs on a sub are meant to take the amplified signal for your front L+R speakers, pull out the bass information as dialed in by your crossover, and pass on everything above the LPF to the speakers. So it would be front L+R Speaker terminal <-> Speaker Wire <-> Subwoofer high-level input | Subwoofer "Output to Speakers" <-> Speaker wire <-> Front L+R main speakers.

The other way to get a signal to a subwoofer is by using an RCA Subwoofer out(aka LFE output) on the Receiver, and then feeding a rca cable to the sub's sub/LFE input. No other cables. So Receiver's Sub/LFE out RCA jack <-> RCA cable <-> Subwoofer's Sub input RCA jack.

If the amplifier is fried, the high level inputs will likely not bypass to the sub speakers actual speaker wire terminals. Inside the subwoofer, there's actually a +\- pair of speaker wires from the subwoofer itself to it's built-in amplifier. If the amplifier is broken, you either need to replace the sub's amp with the same one from the manufacturer, and in the process reconnect the internal connections to the sub, OR you can hijack the broken amplifier's high level inputs by cutting off the old wires that go to it internally, and soldering the internal speaker wires directly to that terminal. That way you can grab any generic mono subwoofer amp off amazon like the one I linked, run an RCA cable to it from the Receiver, and then run a speaker wire from the external, new amp directly to the modified high level input terminal, which is directly wired to the subwoofer speaker itself inside. Or you can just drill a hole in the back, and run speaker wire through it directly to the subwoofer speaker wire terminals, you'll need some crimp-on spade connectors from the store for that.
Okay, your last paragraph makes a lot of sense. While the 3rd party amp solution MIGHT work, it feels like the safer option would be to just buy a Speedwoofer. I searched on Reddit and it doesn't seem like RSL runs sales.

The Hsu VTF-2 MK5 that I linked from FB marketplace does seem to be a superior sub to the Speedwoofer 10S MKII, but it's also quite a bit larger, and no warranty. It's actually so deep that I'd have to turn it 90* so the driver is facing away from the sofa toward the sliding glass doors to the balcony. Considering that I had my STF-2 volume dial at the 1/6 mark, I definitely don't need more power, though deeper bass extension is always nice.

I guess I'll call RSL in the morning to confirm their backorder date of 10/24 means October 24th and not October 2024.

I'm a little sad because the STF-2 is the 2nd subwoofer I've had die that I really liked. The previous one was the sub on a Klipsch iFi 2.1 system. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong because that system died about 8 years ago in a different city and was only connected to my computer, but that one was also purchased used, like my STF-2, and both units were quite old.

I read somewhere that 10 years is about the expected lifespan of a sub amp. That doesn't seem right to me. I'm especially gun-shy since I know these things happen randomly, but having a warranty on a new Speedwoofer does give me some reassurance.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 13, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Okay, your last paragraph makes a lot of sense. While the 3rd party amp solution MIGHT work, it feels like the safer option would be to just buy a Speedwoofer. I searched on Reddit and it doesn't seem like RSL runs sales.

The Hsu VTF-2 MK5 that I linked from FB marketplace does seem to be a superior sub to the Speedwoofer 10S MKII, but it's also quite a bit larger, and no warranty. It's actually so deep that I'd have to turn it 90* so the driver is facing away from the sofa toward the sliding glass doors to the balcony. Considering that I had my STF-2 volume dial at the 1/6 mark, I definitely don't need more power, though deeper bass extension is always nice.

I guess I'll call RSL in the morning to confirm their backorder date of 10/24 means October 24th and not October 2024.

I'm a little sad because the STF-2 is the 2nd subwoofer I've had die that I really liked. The previous one was the sub on a Klipsch iFi 2.1 system. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong because that system died about 8 years ago in a different city and was only connected to my computer, but that one was also purchased used, like my STF-2, and both units were quite old.

I read somewhere that 10 years is about the expected lifespan of a sub amp. That doesn't seem right to me. I'm especially gun-shy since I know these things happen randomly, but having a warranty on a new Speedwoofer does give me some reassurance.

I can say with very high confidence that the 3rd party amp solution *will* work, I've done it before and unless the subwoofer's surround/cone is broken(very visible), there's no reason bypassing the Internal amp wouldn't work. Just a question of if you want to do it quick and dirty(drill a hole) and run a cable or be fancy about it with the soldering, and save the extra $$$ you would have spent on a sub. Like on a new golf club :xd:

However, getting a RSL is a nice upgrade too, so if there's room in the budget that's certainly a good option too. Going forward I also wouldn't use your "B" speakers output&the RCA sub out simultaneously to run your sub, just use the RCA cable sub-out and nothing else. Not sure if it's what caused the issue, but it's certainly not the proper way to hook it up either.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Again mentioning that you can email Hsu and see how much a new plate amp would cost you. The price would probably be closer to an external subwoofer amp than a new RSL.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mederlock posted:

I can say with very high confidence that the 3rd party amp solution *will* work, I've done it before and unless the subwoofer's surround/cone is broken(very visible), there's no reason bypassing the Internal amp wouldn't work. Just a question of if you want to do it quick and dirty(drill a hole) and run a cable or be fancy about it with the soldering, and save the extra $$$ you would have spent on a sub. Like on a new golf club :xd:

However, getting a RSL is a nice upgrade too, so if there's room in the budget that's certainly a good option too. Going forward I also wouldn't use your "B" speakers output&the RCA sub out simultaneously to run your sub, just use the RCA cable sub-out and nothing else. Not sure if it's what caused the issue, but it's certainly not the proper way to hook it up either.
To be clear, I've never used the B outputs except with testing today. I've always used the sub out on my receiver and my setup worked really well for both stereo music and 5.1 movies. :smith:

My concern with drilling a hole is that there'd be a gap around the cable, though I imagine it probably won't make a noticeable difference since my Hsu is ported. I don't have a soldering iron anymore so I'd be looking for the simplest repair, and quick and dirty would be fine.

Would the Speedwoofer be much of an upgrade over my Hsu? Spec-wise they seem pretty similar, as were their MSRPs, though the STF-2 was released 20 years ago. Of course, my Hsu is ported and the Speedwoofer is sealed, so if anything the Speedwoofer might be weaker on bass extension, but the spec sheets have my Hsu at 25Hz and the Speedwoofer at 22Hz. I don't think I've seen any comparison reviews/posts since the STF-2 is old af and the Speedwoofer is relatively new. In any case, I'd expect the Speedwoofer to be a sidegrade at worst and minor upgrade at best. But also new with warranty and physically a bit smaller.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Again mentioning that you can email Hsu and see how much a new plate amp would cost you. The price would probably be closer to an external subwoofer amp than a new RSL.
I think I read somewhere that Hsu doesn't have any replacements since the STF-2 is such an old model, but I guess it wouldn't hurt. There's no rush since my LCR mains have pretty good bass for bookshelfs so while a sub definitely improves things, music without a sub still sounds really good.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 13, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

To be clear, I've never used the B outputs except with testing today. I've always used the sub out on my receiver and my setup worked really well for both stereo music and 5.1 movies. :smith:

My concern with drilling a hole is that there'd be a gap around the cable, though I imagine it probably won't make a noticeable difference since my Hsu is ported. I don't have a soldering iron anymore so I'd be looking for the simplest repair, and quick and dirty would be fine.

Oh I see, my apologies I misunderstood one of your posts.

Just pick up a small tube of black silicone caulking and use that to seal up the hole where the wire goes in. Protects the wire from being pulled out and seals up the cabinet

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Would the Speedwoofer be much of an upgrade over my Hsu? Spec-wise they seem pretty similar, as were their MSRPs, though the STF-2 was released 20 years ago. Of course, my Hsu is ported and the Speedwoofer is sealed, so if anything the Speedwoofer might be weaker on bass extension, but the spec sheets have my Hsu at 25Hz and the Speedwoofer at 22Hz. I don't think I've seen any comparison reviews/posts since the STF-2 is old af and the Speedwoofer is relatively new. In any case, I'd expect the Speedwoofer to be a sidegrade at worst and minor upgrade at best. But also new with warranty and physically a bit smaller.

The Speedwoofer is also ported. It's probably a minor upgrade due to it's increased power and dsp settings.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dumb question: I have two front speakers and a subwoofer. So a 2.1 setup. When playing my Blu-ray movie, do I choose the 2.0 audio track or the 5.1 audio track? The answer for this is surprisingly hard to get.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

Dumb question: I have two front speakers and a subwoofer. So a 2.1 setup. When playing my Blu-ray movie, do I choose the 2.0 audio track or the 5.1 audio track? The answer for this is surprisingly hard to get.

2.0 . the sub or receiver should extract the sub frequencies out on it's "stereo" 2.1 mode

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vegetable posted:

If you pick the 5.1 track, it will probably send all the dialogue and a lot of other audio to the center channel so you will be missing out on a lot.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If you pick the 5.1 track, it will probably send all the dialogue and a lot of other audio to the center channel so you will be missing out on a lot.

Modern receivers will automatically downmix whatever signal they get into how many channels you have enabled though, but it's best practice to match the signal to your setup.

Also I have a probably dumb simple question too: I upgraded my center channel speaker and it is louder than my other speakers. My receiver allows me to adjust the level of each channel. Is it better to lower the center channel to match the others (like -3.0) or raise the other channels to match the center channel? I'm guessing the former.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Modern receivers will automatically downmix whatever signal they get into how many channels you have enabled though, but it's best practice to match the signal to your setup.

Also I have a probably dumb simple question too: I upgraded my center channel speaker and it is louder than my other speakers. My receiver allows me to adjust the level of each channel. Is it better to lower the center channel to match the others (like -3.0) or raise the other channels to match the center channel? I'm guessing the former.

The former for sure.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Josh Lyman posted:

I think I read somewhere that Hsu doesn't have any replacements since the STF-2 is such an old model, but I guess it wouldn't hurt. There's no rush since my LCR mains have pretty good bass for bookshelfs so while a sub definitely improves things, music without a sub still sounds really good.

Bunging an external amp onto a modified/dead subwoofer is a really dumb idea when you can just get a replacement plate amp: either from Hsu directly, or one of various third party brands.

Google tells me somebody got a replacement amp for an STF-2 from Hsu for $180 in 2017. YMMV.

People seem to really like the Dayton Audio ones for Hsu (you might need some extra scrapwood to shim/mount it, but depending on the model/dimensions/etc some appear to be drop-in replacements). As long as it fits in the hole and more-or-less matches the wattage (or maybe ups it a bit within reason) you’ll be fine, there’s not much cutting edge science going on in <$1000 Class D subwoofer amps.

https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-components/subwoofer-plate-amplifiers

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Bunging an external amp onto a modified/dead subwoofer is a really dumb idea when you can just get a replacement plate amp: either from Hsu directly, or one of various third party brands.

Google tells me somebody got a replacement amp for an STF-2 from Hsu for $180 in 2017. YMMV.

People seem to really like the Dayton Audio ones for Hsu (you might need some extra scrapwood to shim/mount it, but depending on the model/dimensions/etc some appear to be drop-in replacements). As long as it fits in the hole and more-or-less matches the wattage (or maybe ups it a bit within reason) you’ll be fine, there’s not much cutting edge science going on in <$1000 Class D subwoofer amps.

https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-components/subwoofer-plate-amplifiers
This 100W amp looks like it would work: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SPA100-D-100-Watt-Class-D-Subwoofer-Plate-Amplifier-300-805

It only has low level inputs but that’s fine. The STF-2 had a 200W amp but as mentioned earlier, I only ran it at 1/6 volume so 100W should be plenty, especially since it’s $80 and the next level up is a 300W for $150.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 16, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

This 100W amp looks like it would work: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SPA100-D-100-Watt-Class-D-Subwoofer-Plate-Amplifier-300-805

It only has low level inputs but that’s fine. The STF-2 had a 200W amp but as mentioned earlier, I only ran it at 1/6 volume so 100W should be plenty, especially since it’s $80 and the next level up is a 300W for $150.

I would do the 300w one. Better to under-drive an amp and have plenty of headroom than overdrive an amp and risk distorting/clipping the speaker, even if it’s just doing bass/sub-bass

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

I would do the 300w one. Better to under-drive an amp and have plenty of headroom than overdrive an amp and risk distorting/clipping the speaker, even if it’s just doing bass/sub-bass

This is the way, as long as it fits.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Is there a general recommendation for entry level home theater setups between $500 and $1,000?

i currently have an LG soundbar capable of ARC and the major audio formats that were around when it was new four years ago. It's fine but I have a high ceiling so don't benefit much from its rebounding trick, and it really goes wonky when the refresh rate or resolution on the TV needs to change (like the screen goes black and i have to restart the whole chain - isn't a problem if i plug the AppleTV or Shield directly into the TV). Rear speakers would be cool but I don't have a good place to put them at the moment, so I'm thinkjng a 3.1 setup with a receiver that can handle Atmos and whatever other new poo poo baffles my AppleTV but works on my Shield.

One thing I'm weird about is sync. I look at mouths when people speak so I really notice when it's off. So a receiver that can either autocorrect or make it very easy to change at the hardware layer would be great. High output is less important than sounding good at reasonable residential levels.

I watch a range from 4k Blu-Ray rips to whatever kid poo poo we find on Prime or whatever. Mostly looking for something I can start small with but grow into over some time.

Any suggestions or directions I should look?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Well Played Mauer posted:

Is there a general recommendation for entry level home theater setups between $500 and $1,000? Mostly looking for something I can start small with but grow into over some time.

Any suggestions or directions I should look?
Spend most of that on a receiver that can support your current tech needs and future total channel goals (something between 5.1 and 7.2.2 makes sense with this budget) and get two solid bookshelf speakers to use as front R&L to start with. You can then eventually drop additional cash on nicer front R&L and move your initial set to rear duty. Along the way you can also add a sub or two, a center, and potentially more surround or height channels if that's where you want to end up.

If you're in the US, check accessories4less. An example within your price range would be a pair of factory recertified KEF Q150s ($350) with a factory refurbished Denon receiver among the S970H ($400), X2700H ($500) and the X2800H ($650) depending on what you want to hook up to it.

This will be a very noticeable upgrade from the get go and will help you avoid buying components that you'll eventually have no use for.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 22, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Regarding audio sync, most receivers (including the example Denons) have auto-lipsync that usually works well unless your TV is broken in some exotic way. I think it’s a feature of HDMI.

If autosync doesn’t work, you can manually adjust audio delay. Either way, even a picky listener should be able to get it perfect.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 22, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Awesome, thanks to you both!

Should I be looking for a subwoofer too? The sound bar I have is the LG SL10YG, which is 5.1.2 - it’s pretty good imo but I’m just thinking about taking a step up and separating parts so I can upgrade more selectively.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Well Played Mauer posted:

Awesome, thanks to you both!

Should I be looking for a subwoofer too? The sound bar I have is the LG SL10YG, which is 5.1.2 - it’s pretty good imo but I’m just thinking about taking a step up and separating parts so I can upgrade more selectively.

Yes, definitely get a good sub, ideally you should have two subs

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Or maybe four subs.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Careful with that many subs, they might unionize

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Careful with that many subs, they might unionize

I have 5 and they only get out of line occasionally

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

bird with big dick posted:

Or maybe four subs.

I need to spare some overhead for the resonance dampening crystals I got my eye on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Jokes aside, you can save some money if you buy two subs in a bundle from SVS (the company that 95% of the ppl here will recommend you buy subs from), but one sub is usually plenty unless you have a bigger room and/or you have dead spots and self-canceling waves, etc.

Two subs will sound a lot better in more places around the room, different seating locations, and so on, but you can always start with one and see if you want to add a second down the road. If you’re going to have two+ they should all be as identical as possible.

If your option is one bigger, more expensive sub vs two smaller subs, generally the bigger sub will go a bit deeper but two smaller subs will even out the bass spread, mitigate the effects of nodes/dead spots/etc, and generally make the bass sound “fuller” and more even across the entire room. It’s a notable improvement IMO.

For me, unless you absolutely need to get down to <18 Hz, two smaller subs always beats one bigger sub. If you can afford/have the room for two big subs then that’s the best of all.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
That’s good to know, thanks. I’m most likely going to hold off until we do a cross country move next year and I have a better idea of what sort of room the TV and system will be in. I don’t envision moving into more than a suburban 4/3 so will more than likely still be in the midsize room range.

Starsmydestination
Feb 23, 2012

Could really use some guidance if anyone is able to give it. My experience has only been with my powered speaker set, some Schiit stuff hooked up to it, etc etc. Today I picked up a pair of Canton Karat 20 speakers from a lovely little vintage audio shop, so I am now looking at amplifiers for the first time. The specs of the speakers are 4 ohm, Music power loading capacity: 60 watts per speaker.

I was thinking of maybe putting these in the office/game room, so if I did that I'd need an HDMI in as well as 1 or 2 RCA ins. I do not know if such things even exist for my use case, a cursory search did not bring up any concrete info to go by.

edit-or maybe the best thing is to just get a standard AV receiver and do analog RCAs out on the TV ?

Starsmydestination fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 28, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A standard AV receiver would certainly fit the bill, even if you're only using two channels.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You might not need the analog out if the tv and receiver get along on ARC

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I play Dance Dance Revolution on a home setup and am looking to upgrade my speakers (currently using a cheap $20 craigslist soundbar). I'm thinking of going with Edifier R200DB bookshelf speakers. Problem is all speaker stands assume you're listening sitting down. Are there any good taller speaker stands, or is my only option to mount them to the wall? I don't have a lot of wall space due to windows.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is DDR the only thing the setup gets used for?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is DDR the only thing the setup gets used for?

Yep! Here's what I'm working with:

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Raise any speaker stands you buy with some bricks / cinder blocks. :v:
Or just use a bunch of bricks / cinder blocks.