Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Under 5 booster is approved for mix and match, right? That was my understanding but before I go argue with a nurse about it I wanted to make sure. We weren't able to get my toddler the first booster because she got Moderna for her initial shots and nobody has Moderna anymore and that's still the case so we've gotta get her Pfizer'd and the pediatrician's website still says no mix and match.

Yep. My 7mo got a Moderna bivalent for her first shot, Pfizer XBB1.5 for her second. AAP recommends to try and stick with the same brand if possible, but mix and match is permitted in a few cases (e.g., same brand isn't available, etc).

Edit

quote:

Can you “mix and match” vaccine products for one child?
“Mix and match” dosing is allowed for children 5 years of age and older. Children 6 months – 4 years of age who previously completed a primary series with one brand may switch to a different brand when receiving an updated dose, if the brand used for the primary series is not readily available on the day of vaccination. Whenever possible, use the same brand for all recommended doses in a primary series for children 6 months – 4 years of age. If not possible, use of another brand is acceptable.
https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-n...sked-questions/

Woodsy Owl has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Thoguh posted:

Reminds me of that climate change comic about "What if we did a bunch of effort and the result was just a better world" because god forbid we do a thing clearly has value but that ends up not being completely necessary.

Yeah that one is evergreen

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Woodsy Owl posted:

Yep. My 7mo got a Moderna bivalent for her first shot, Pfizer XBB1.5 for her second. AAP recommends to try and stick with the same brand if possible, but mix and match is permitted in a few cases (e.g., same brand isn't available, etc).

Edit

https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-n...sked-questions/

thank you! I’m gonna save that link in case I have to send it to my pediatrician.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fireside Nut posted:

Does this help at all? https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_totaldeaths_select_00

Hospital systems are still required to submit daily data to NSHN (which feeds CDC) that includes Covid deaths. I'm not sure if NHSN also collects data from county/state health departments to fill in the gaps for folks who didn't die in a hospital/LTC setting. :shrug:

Edit: looks like the footnotes explain they now use a different source for the death data. I'd imagine this would include county/state health depts: "Provisional data are non-final counts of deaths based on the flow of mortality data in NVSS. Deaths include those with COVID-19, coded to ICD–10 code U07.1, as an underlying or contributing cause of death on the death certificate. Death data are displayed by date of death (event). This is a change from the surveillance data used previously in COVID Data Tracker which were displayed by date of report. Number of deaths reported in this file are the total number of COVID-19 deaths received and coded as of the date of analysis and may not represent all deaths that occurred in that period. Counts of deaths with dates of death occurring before or after the reporting period are not included in the file. "

Problem with that is that they don't show by period, only cumulative, and back in early 2022 they were at 1.206m. According to that tracker we've actually resurrected a bunch of Covid victims!

Total mortality - expected beginning of 2020 mortality is really the only useful tool we've got if you're counting covid-related deaths

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Problem with that is that they don't show by period, only cumulative, and back in early 2022 they were at 1.206m. According to that tracker we've actually resurrected a bunch of Covid victims!

Total mortality - expected beginning of 2020 mortality is really the only useful tool we've got if you're counting covid-related deaths

I apologize, didn't dig into too much before sending. It looks like the cumulative count is around 850k in early 2022, unless I'm looking at it wrong?

You may have seen, but you can adjust the chart to look at weekly deaths: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_weeklydeaths_select_00

Anyways, I'm sure anything we can find out there will be a big undercount.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mola Yam posted:

lol they bumped it back another month

This is one statistic that cannot be obfuscated with model adjustments.

Either Americans are living shorter lives than they were in past decades, or it’s time to grab a shovel because there are a bunch of living people mistakenly buried.

They cannot deny a drop in life expectancy, so they’ll have to blame it on an enemy of the state, like dogs.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

This is one statistic that cannot be obfuscated with model adjustments.

Either Americans are living shorter lives than they were in past decades, or it’s time to grab a shovel because there are a bunch of living people mistakenly buried.

They cannot deny a drop in life expectancy, so they’ll have to blame it on an enemy of the state, like dogs.

usually they include the actuarial tables as well so you can break it down to how likely an X year old person is to die

there's bad news at all ends of the spectrum this time around because even if COVID primarily kills older folks, the deaths of despair, drugs and guns will be playing cleanup in the under 40 crowd

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mola Yam posted:

lol they bumped it back another month

wow

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

i bet the news is good

Apr 7, 2003

Fireside Nut posted:

I apologize, didn't dig into too much before sending. It looks like the cumulative count is around 850k in early 2022, unless I'm looking at it wrong?

You may have seen, but you can adjust the chart to look at weekly deaths: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_weeklydeaths_select_00

Anyways, I'm sure anything we can find out there will be a big undercount.

I could swear that was the tracker that stopped at 1.206m and started removing deaths but I could be wrong. Maybe John’s Hopkins?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We have the tools.

The tools are shards of Neolithic pottery.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I could swear that was the tracker that stopped at 1.206m and started removing deaths but I could be wrong. Maybe John’s Hopkins?

There’s some “tech” company, might have been GeoCities, where in the early days, every time a user signed up, a chime went off in the corporate office. They disconnected it when the service became so popular that the chime was continuous.

Anyway, CDC* ought to have the CinemaSins “sin removal” sound effect play every time the official death toll drops by one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt_5DglByzc

*Or the People’s CDC, as satire

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://twitter.com/LymeScience/status/1712560520262467943

Reminder, FL surgeon general is affiliated with this quack

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can’t fail to note that that is the demon semen doctor.

quote:

Before Trump and his supporters embrace Immanuel’s medical expertise, though, they should consider other medical claims Immanuel has made—including those about alien DNA and the physical effects of having sex with witches and demons in your dreams.

Immanuel, a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches.

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by “reptilians” and other aliens.

Given that Immanuel possesses an active medical license, I await punishment for doctor sass.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

Given that Immanuel possesses an active medical license, I await punishment for doctor sass.

lol

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

shazbot posted:

if you get Covid it’s a personal failing but also you can’t take precautions it might make others uncomfortable

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Closest moth juice 80 miles away thanks vaccines.gov. Hopefully they'll make it here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Legend has it that lighthouses were built to guide moths and their precious cargo to port.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Until about a year ago the Covid hospital/LTC data was collected by HHS. Then NHSN/CDC took over so there is a chance they replaced the previous data source on those charts and maybe that caused the blip you were seeing. Who knows though lol

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

For any goons with young kiddos, the CVS close to us finally got stocked today and we received the very first Moderna for our 4 1/2yo. :stoked:

Previously, we could only find Pfizer in the last week. So take another look if you need Moderna to avoid the mix and match conundrum.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So, uh, one of my coworkers just had a heart attack. EMTs just left 5 minutes ago. She is in her 20s.

It is a good chance it is.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Okuteru posted:

So, uh, one of my coworkers just had a heart attack. EMTs just left 5 minutes ago. She is in her 20s.

that is a super bummer. this is the new normal I guess.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Pingui posted:

The issues with kid PASC rates mentioned in this piece, are and have always been, a major concern to me. I think I've mentioned it a few times over the threads, if not explicitly in regards to children, certainly in regards to the adult research. Either way the caveats mentioned here are important to keep in mind when reading any PASC research. Great article, brought here in full due to the subject matter.
"Not 'little adults': Experts say long COVID undercounted, misdiagnosed in kids"

the article posted:

Indeed, many long-COVID symptoms are subtle and can be misattributed to other conditions, such as anxiety. And unlike the fatigue, brain fog, and postexertional malaise that adults most often report, Putrino said the most common presentation of long COVID in children seen at Mount Sinai's pediatric rehabilitation center is recurrent stomachaches.
[...]
There are nonspecific symptoms that kids won't know to report to adults and that parents don't recognize as related to COVID-19. For example, while it may be easier to spot postexertional malaise in older adolescents, "We expect kids to have energy fluctuations," he said. "We expect kids to run themselves ragged and then crash."

Very cool how nothing ever changes and these poor kids are going to experience the same cycle of misdiagnosis and medical abuse I went through as a nine year old when I first got sick back in '97.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Platystemon posted:

Just amazing this woman still has a license to practice medicine but so does Ladapo.

Weird how they just can’t be both sued out of existence for bad medical advice

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Okuteru posted:

Principal Skinner: "Hmm... Am I living to see manmade horrors beyond my comprehension? No, it is the Covid-Cautious who are wrong."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/joaquinlife/status/1712640788415533268?s=46

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

mawarannahr posted:

this type of thing has happened before and it's always the chiropractors and naturopaths, sometimes dentists

https://doh.wa.gov/newsroom/state-disciplines-health-care-providers-276

enjoy your homework Mr Motel

Dr Motel, Chiropractor is one of those amazing bits that humans can’t reach on our own. Reality just does stuff where you’re like “that’s a great character, somebody could have written that at any point in the last few decades and cleaned up”

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Guys,

we have a problem. remember when I was tracking COVID pooo growth as a result of those idiot Swifties?

What happens when local movie theaters decide to make some money but relegating all the other releases to one screen and put the swift concert on 13/20 screens?

that results in 28 shows today - half of which are sold out already….and 38 showings Saturday (6 showing almost full)… and 36 showings on Sunday.

They’re making a huge deal of this and it’s goi g to spark the next wave. 4000 screens

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pillowpants posted:

Guys,

we have a problem. remember when I was tracking COVID pooo growth as a result of those idiot Swifties?

What happens when local movie theaters decide to make some money but relegating all the other releases to one screen and put the swift concert on 13/20 screens?

that results in 28 shows today - half of which are sold out already….and 38 showings Saturday (6 showing almost full)… and 36 showings on Sunday.

They’re making a huge deal of this and it’s goi g to spark the next wave. 4000 screens
28 Shows Later

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
YMMV but I don't particularly appreciate this framing, as it comes down to more comorbidities and worse healthcare in the cohort, while othering the victims of COVID for white middle+ class people. It is framed in that liberal way, where minorities are victims and you should feel bad about that, but also you are not a minority, so really - if you think about it - you have nothing to worry about and it's fine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/getting-covid-several-can-outsize-effect-black-people-doctors-say-rcna118400 posted:

Getting Covid several times can have an outsize effect on Black people, doctors say
Compounding issues like increased comorbidities and lower access to proper medical care can be destructive for those who get Covid multiple times.
(..)
“Some of the data clearly showed that Covid impacted Blacks disproportionately, so it only makes sense that it’s going to be the same with multiple infections because there are so many people who had it,” Varner said. “And because we have more comorbidities such as diabetes, heart disease and obesity — the main drivers in terms of having a negative impact as it relates to Covid — with multiple infections the data is showing that each infection is like a health insult that will manifest itself more in the hardest-hit community, which is Black people. So, you have a sick person getting this virus more than once and the outcome is going to be different, more harmful, than white counterparts.”

According to a wide-reaching meta-analysis published in 2021, Black people diagnosed with Covid were more likely to be admitted to intensive care units.
(..)
The virus strongly affects Black people, who often live in areas where access to quality health care is not easily available. The lower likelihood of having health insurance and decreased access to clinical care only exacerbated the effects of Covid among Blacks and Latinos, creating a cycle of hardships that could stunt family growth, said Dr. Jayne Morgan, a cardiologist and the executive director of the Covid task force at Piedmont Healthcare in Atlanta.

If you’re a Black person and you get Covid multiple times, you’re talking about increasing your chances of disability,” Morgan said. “We’re talking about your inability to take care of your family because you have these Covid-related health challenges.”
(..)
Varner said the messaging to Black people on the harms of multiple infections — as well as the importance of getting the vaccinations — has to change.

“It has been consistently clear that when you send a message through people who look like the person you’re trying to capture, the message goes through easier, is accepted better,” Varner said. “The messaging has not changed at all. And there does not appear to be a focused effort to reach Black folks who don’t have easy access to Wi-Fi or people who may not have as much access to true medical knowledge. All of this makes us more vulnerable.”

Idk, maybe I am tilting at windmills :shrug: It would be great if the consequence was to increase healthcare in Black communities, but somehow that is never what happens...

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Nice article on Paxlovid, Paxlovid prescriptions and Paxlovid vs long COVID.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/paxlovid-may-prevent-long-covid-but-not-prescribed-rcna119737 posted:

Paxlovid may reduce the chance of long Covid. Why don’t doctors prescribe it more?
Experts who study and treat long Covid agree that Paxlovid seems to lower the risk of lingering symptoms. Some long Covid patients regret not taking it.

A consensus has emerged among experts who study and treat long Covid: Paxlovid seems to reduce the risk of lingering symptoms among those eligible to take it.

The idea is intuitive, experts say. Paxlovid prevents the coronavirus from replicating, so researchers think it may also reduce the risk of an infection causing inflammation or organ damage, which in turn can lead to chronic illness.

Clinical observations and a large study published in March support that theory. Among the 282,000 people in the study who were eligible for Paxlovid, the drug was associated with a 26% lower risk of long Covid.

“Research definitely backs up that it helps prevent lingering symptoms — it helps prevent long Covid,” said Ashley Drapeau, director of the Long Covid Clinic at the GW Center for Integrative Medicine.

Some patients who took Paxlovid during their illness also seem to have less severe long Covid symptoms overall than those who did not, according to Drapeau.

But doctors who treat people for active Covid infections say they aren’t widely prescribing Paxlovid, since the medication interacts with several common drugs and is only approved for people vulnerable to severe illness — older adults and people with underlying medical conditions.

Data from the Veterans Affairs St. Louis Health Care System indicates that just 30% of patients who qualify for Paxlovid are being prescribed it, said Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly, the system’s chief of research and development.

Research from Helix, a genomic data company, similarly showed that around one-third of nonhospitalized adults at risk of severe Covid were prescribed an antiviral from February to June.
(..)
Some long Covid patients regret not taking Paxlovid
(..)
But Greenier’s doctor told her he didn’t know enough about Paxlovid to feel comfortable writing her a prescription, she said, despite several factors that made her eligible: her age, weight and a history of asthma. Her doctor did not respond to a request for comment.
(..)
Greenier said she can only work part-time now, and wonders whether she would be back full-time if she had taken Paxlovid.

Drapeau said many of her long Covid patients report that they weren’t offered Paxlovid or were told by their health care provider that they didn’t need it.

“Many of my patients come to me and say, ‘If only I had taken the Paxlovid …’” she said.

Why aren’t more people taking Paxlovid?
Drapeau said doctors probably don’t consider long Covid as a primary risk factor when deciding whether to prescribe Paxlovid.

“They’re thinking, ‘How can I prevent this person from being in the hospital?’” she said. “Versus, ‘How can I prevent them having lingering symptoms that are going to cause major debility in their life?’”

Doctors, for their part, cite a few other reasons: Paxlovid interacts negatively with some anti-seizure and heart medications, as well as certain drugs that lower blood pressure or cholesterol. The medication can also have side effects, such as diarrhea, nausea and a metallic taste in the mouth.

Doctors also weigh how severe a person’s symptoms were the last time they got Covid, if this is not their first infection.

“In general, if you had mild symptoms the first time, you’re probably going to have mild symptoms again, and Paxlovid often makes people feel worse,” said Dr. Geoffrey Mount Varner, an emergency room physician in Virginia and Maryland.

To a lesser extent, doctors see Paxlovid’s potential “rebound” effect as a deterrent as well. A small study found that less than 1% of Covid patients saw their symptoms come back one to two weeks after taking Paxlovid. Other research that’s yet to be peer-reviewed found that 6% of a group of 11,300 Covid patients saw symptoms rebound in the month after they took the medication.

But Al-Aly said concerns about rebounds and side effects are overblown.

“You may have malaise again or fever, but it’s all in the acute phase,” he said. “It usually gets better a few days later, and in the long term is inconsequential.”

A potential treatment option for long Covid?
(..)
In the spring and summer of 2022, Paxlovid made up a much larger share of prescriptions filled at pharmacies than it did over the same period this year, according to GoodRx’s prescription tracker. Now, the weekly share of Paxlovid prescriptions is about the same as last October.

[ed. this graphic is actually from earlier in the piece, but fits much better here]

Some experts think the drug might even improve symptoms for patients who already struggle with long Covid. As the theory goes, Paxlovid may help clear lingering virus or viral proteins in the body that continuously aggravate the immune system.

But researchers are still evaluating that application of the drug. The NIH’s RECOVER Initiative is giving people Paxlovid for up to 25 days to see if it improves their long Covid symptoms. The first participant in that study was enrolled in July. Studies at the Yale School of Medicine and Karolinska Institutet in Sweden are also investigating Paxlovid as a potential long Covid treatment.

Dr. Benjamin Abramoff, director of the Post-COVID Assessment and Recovery Clinic at Penn Medicine, said he recommends Paxlovid for people with long Covid who get reinfected.

“I’ve had a couple patients report improvement through that process,” he said. “Even if they’re not necessarily high risk, I think there’s a lot of benefit for many of our patients who have significant long Covid symptoms.”

Another unanswered question is whether young, healthy people might benefit from Paxlovid. Though doctors don’t have evidence of that yet, Drapeau said there’s reason to believe the drug could reduce the risk of long Covid even for people without underlying risk factors.

“It makes sense to me that we give it to a wider population,” she said.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I hope this is a hail Mary defense and isn't true.

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/covid-19-make-duanesburg-man-kill-wife-son-18419329.php posted:

Lawyer: COVID-19 psychosis made a Duanesburg cook kill his wife, son
Nelson Patino's attorney plans to argue defendant isn't responsible for 2021 killings due to short-term psychosis caused by virus
(..)
It's a novel defense strategy that does not appear to have been attempted in the U.S. in the three and a half years since the arrival of the pandemic. Some studies have found rare instances of people suffering from psychotic episodes after a COVID-19 infection; anti-psychotic medication is usually prescribed in such cases.
(..)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pingui posted:

quote:

But doctors who treat people for active Covid infections say they aren’t widely prescribing Paxlovid, since the medication interacts with several common drugs and is only approved for people vulnerable to severe illness — older adults and people with underlying medical conditions.

That's everyone! Everyone has an underlying medical condition that makes them eligible for Paxlovid! There are real concerns about drug interactions that need to be considered but baring that it should go to everyone. Jesus christ how is everything still so stupid.

Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

That's everyone! Everyone has an underlying medical condition that makes them eligible for Paxlovid! There are real concerns about drug interactions that need to be considered but baring that it should go to everyone. Jesus christ how is everything still so stupid.

The loving Pfizer commercials on prime time TV for the vaccine outright say that over 100 million Americans have medical conditions that make them vulnerable to Covid. lmao

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pingui posted:

The rebound concern trolling, holy poo poo.

To wit, "hmm some patients have COVID symptoms after the paxlovid course is complete, better not prescribe it at all"

unreal

"Hmmm it works when the patient is using it. We better not use it!"

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Imo much of the population lives in denial about their precarious well-being.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I vaguely recall the values used in the FDA presentation cost-benefit analysis as being substantially lower.
"Health Care Costs of COVID-19 vs Influenza and Pneumonia"

https://www.ajmc.com/view/health-care-costs-of-covid-19-vs-influenza-and-pneumonia posted:

ABSTRACT

Objectives: To estimate payments for the treatment of COVID-19 compared with that of influenza or viral pneumonia (IP), from the perspective of the US payer.

Study Design: Retrospective cohort analysis.

Methods: Patients with COVID-19 during the period from October 1, 2020, to February 1, 2021, or IP during the period from October 1, 2018, to February 1, 2019, in the IBM MarketScan databases were identified. The index was defined as the date of the first COVID-19 or IP diagnosis. Patients with COVID-19 were stratified by severity. Variables for all patients included demographics and comorbidities at the time of index and duration of disease. IP and COVID-19 cohorts were matched using propensity scores, and inflation-adjusted all-cause payments (ACP), and disease-specific payments (DSP) for IP vs COVID-19 were estimated using generalized linear models.

Results: Matched cohorts included 6332 Medicare (female, 58.5%; mean [SD] age, 75.3 [7.6] years), and 397,532 commercially insured patients (female, 57.6%; mean [SD] age, 34.7 [16.7] years). ACP and DSP were significantly higher in the COVID-19 cohort vs IP cohort. Payments for severe/critical COVID-19 were significantly greater than those for IP, with adjusted marginal incremental DSP and ACP of $24,852 (95% CI, $21,573-$28,132) and $50,325 (95% CI, $43,932-$56,718), respectively. IP was significantly less expensive than moderate COVID-19 for commercial payers but not Medicare. IP was more expensive than mild COVID-19 for all payers.

Conclusions: Payments associated with severe/critical COVID-19 significantly exceeded those associated with IP. For Medicare, IP was more expensive than mild or moderate COVID-19. For commercial payers, IP was less expensive than moderate COVID-19 but more expensive than mild COVID-19.

Takeaway Points
  • Overall mean payments associated with the treatment of COVID-19 are significantly greater than those associated with treatment of influenza and pneumonia for commercial and Medicare payers.
  • For commercial payers, the incremental all-cause payments for treatment of severe/critical COVID-19 exceeded those of influenza and pneumonia by a mean of $50,325. For Medicare, the mean incremental payments of severe/critical COVID-19 vs influenza and pneumonia reached $25,378.
  • Payments for moderate COVID-19 were higher than those for influenza and pneumonia for commercial payers but not for Medicare. Mild COVID-19 cases required lower payments than influenza or pneumonia for all payers.
(..)

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pillowpants posted:

Guys,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8uG7wQGVXA

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

results from some thread-relevant daily questions YouGov did this week. granted, these are the numbers after YouGov does their secret sauce reweighting of their survey data, but still, I was surprised by how favorably covid mitigations were viewed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SixteenShells posted:

results from some thread-relevant daily questions YouGov did this week. granted, these are the numbers after YouGov does their secret sauce reweighting of their survey data, but still, I was surprised by how favorably covid mitigations were viewed

I love when minority policy preferences end up becoming policy. Makes me really confident that we still live in a democracy.