Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm extremely charmed by the low stakes nature of .Hack with every new piece of information I hear of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like how the Crimson Knights try to be player cops and people like Sora are just like the gently caress you gonna do you aren't GMs

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The CEO of Unity retired, so the plan might be in disarray, so there's a chance Unity isn't going to hell.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Colonel posted:

anyway i'm playing more fate/extra ccc and i feel like if this ever gets a proper remake it will be one of the coolest rpgs ever. lots to say about how funny the lesbian jokes in it are and how laser-focused it is on everyone just being a totally bizarre insecure freak while julius just awkwardly stands in the background and tries not to get dragged into any of it but also, i love that it adds a new character whose defining trait is being The Weirdest Guy In The World and is constantly reciting sutras and referencing religious texts and figures and it's near impossible to figure out what the gently caress he's talking about at any single moment in time because his entire speech pattern is a complete jumble of weird archaisms and it takes him a million words to ultimately just say that he needs to go take a piss

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, he was in EXTRA as well as Arcueid's master, he just barely had stuff because he was part of the branching paths where they made all dialog as generic as possible.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i love that one of the side villains in sign is a hosed up dark edgeboy who pks people for fun... and then you find out he's, literally 11 years old. one of the climactic action scenes is him having a 1-on-1 pvp duel with a mid 30 year old role player who dramatically says "gear level caps out at 99... beyond that... it's all about skill..." and who earlier in the show when asked why he always talks like that just straight-up says "sorry. that's just how i rp."

This is even funnier when you realize that the 11 year old edgelord grows up to be Haseo, the protagonist of G.U..

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, he was in EXTRA as well as Arcueid's master, he just barely had stuff because he was part of the branching paths where they made all dialog as generic as possible.

oh yeah i never did the arc route of extra. that makes me respect even more, how well ccc retunes a lot of extra's wonkier ideas into something way better

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

The CEO of Unity retired, so the plan might be in disarray, so there's a chance Unity isn't going to hell.

He's still overseeing stuff. It was just a bone thrown at spooked investors to settle them down.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
According to the publisher's Discord, they are looking to improve Front Mission 2's translation and other issues that have been reported.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nick Buntline posted:

As a counterargument, early on you unlock a set of free action buffs which include "all skills this turn are free and cast at one level higher." Since there's only four perma-buffs in the game, the investment to just buy the 1-2 levels you need to cast them at max power for free in the first battle of the exploration is so minor that the respec honestly isn't worth it.
And that's real important since there's basically no way to recover MP while in the dungeon.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Is Star Ocean: The Divine Force good as a first Star Ocean game? I like the look of it.

Also:

WaltherFeng posted:

According to the publisher's Discord, they are looking to improve Front Mission 2's translation and other issues that have been reported.

Excellent news. Thanks for sharing!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Been working my way through NG+ of Fate Samurai Remnant and am really enjoying it.

Iori is so broke-brained. Man saw Saber shoot a giant eight-headed beam of water and went "I must surpass it"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tequila Bob posted:

Is Star Ocean: The Divine Force good as a first Star Ocean game? I like the look of it.

I liked it, felt like a greatest hits of certain things from the rest of the series. Unless I'm forgetting something they're separate enough you could start with whatever game you want (though don't start with 5).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tarezax posted:

Been working my way through NG+ of Fate Samurai Remnant and am really enjoying it.

Iori is so broke-brained. Man saw Saber shoot a giant eight-headed beam of water and went "I must surpass it"

I feel like everything about Iori can be explained by "Musashi raised him."

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like everything about Iori can be explained by "Musashi raised him."

That's the thing though - this attitude of his precedes even meeting Musashi! Some random swordsman (don't know their identity, don't know if it will ever be made known) saved him from bandits, Iori lost the guy while pursuing him, and specifically sought out Musashi to learn swordsmanship to one day surpass that nameless swordsman

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tequila Bob posted:

Also:

Excellent news. Thanks for sharing!

Sure, all you need to know is the UP3 is the prime directive and also every Kenny is a fuckup

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sure, all you need to know is the UP3 is the prime directive and also every Kenny is a fuckup

hey now, that's, uh....

hm.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Are the .hack games worth playing? I heard they're pretty grindy

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The first four games have a mechanic where you can use an ability that can hack enemies into weaker versions. If you use it too much you get a non-standard game over by being infected. If you use it on hacked enemies, you get something called a virus core. Certain enemies drop certain ones. You eventually start using these to unlock areas you need to progress. By the end of the third game, and for much of the fourth, you'll need more cores than you'll get naturally. So it's not so much grinding levels as having to use a limited mechanic to farm specific enemies that you can only use sparingly without dying. I think someone upthread suggesting just gamesharking in more cores, and that's probably a good idea to do when you don't have enough.

Otherwise the games are just sorta a little bit jank, but otherwise fun. Granted I haven't touched them since release.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So far: Samurai Remnant is better than I was worrying about, but not quite as good as I was hoping. I was happy I called the twist of the lancer being Jeanne instead of Jeanne Alter, but I wouldn't be surprised if most people did lol. Still I never catch that stuff so it's a nice change :v:

I read an article that described the original idea as "more punishing", but my Japanese is baby's first N5 so I couldn't really figure out what the interview they linked meant by that. I know a few people here speak Japanese, does it go into any more detail?

https://noisypixel.net/fate-samurai-remnant-originally-punishing-gameplay-made-newcomer-friendly/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Phantasium posted:

The first four games have a mechanic where you can use an ability that can hack enemies into weaker versions. If you use it too much you get a non-standard game over by being infected. If you use it on hacked enemies, you get something called a virus core. Certain enemies drop certain ones. You eventually start using these to unlock areas you need to progress. By the end of the third game, and for much of the fourth, you'll need more cores than you'll get naturally. So it's not so much grinding levels as having to use a limited mechanic to farm specific enemies that you can only use sparingly without dying. I think someone upthread suggesting just gamesharking in more cores, and that's probably a good idea to do when you don't have enough.

Otherwise the games are just sorta a little bit jank, but otherwise fun. Granted I haven't touched them since release.

you really have to go out of your way to hack everything in a single, long dungeon to even come close to the point where you might get the level down or character deletion corruptions, except for the bonus dungeon in part 4, usually the worst you get is random status effects

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
anyways, i decided to look at .hack sign because colonel mentioned there being depressed lesbians in it - holy poo poo they are cute together

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Played the demo of Little Goody Two Shoes, decided not to finish it because I rather just play the full game. This probably belongs more in the adventure game or horror thread but whatever it has enough RPG elements people are not allowed to yell at me and I post in this thread more.

anyway i like the way this game looks

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 14, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i follow a sprite artist for that game on twitter, they're pretty cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That looks fantastic

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think you have the right to post little goody two shoes in the rpg thread because square enix's indie publishing arm is publishing it

think it might be the first indie they're publishing even? frankly se's indie initiative seems. shockingly good. they let devs keep all ip rights to their work so it seems like they just get the net benefit of se's social media promotion

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 14, 2023

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

you really have to go out of your way to hack everything in a single, long dungeon to even come close to the point where you might get the level down or character deletion corruptions, except for the bonus dungeon in part 4, usually the worst you get is random status effects

I'm mostly thinking of that one bonus dungeon, yeah. It was like all hacked monsters right?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Long live the rare rpgs with female protagonists

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

Long live the rare rpgs with female protagonists

I don't think they're very rare?

Just off the top of my head (And including some with options)
Parasite Eve 1-3, Valkyrie Profile (except CotP), Most of the Atelier games, Star Ocean 2 and 6, Blue Reflection, Koudelka, Jeanne D'arc, Nier Automata and Drakengard 3, Most of the Neptunia games, La Pucelle, Reccetear, Rhapsody, Berseria and Xillia, Wild Arms 3, Xenosaga, Yggdra Union, Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy 6, FF13 trilogy, FFX-2, Suikoden III, a couple of Fire Emblems, Octopath, Odin Sphere, SaGa, Super Robot Wars...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Phantasium posted:

I'm mostly thinking of that one bonus dungeon, yeah. It was like all hacked monsters right?

15 massive floors with nothing but databugs yeah lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
RPGs probably have lady mcs more than the majority of other game genres. Still less than even but my hunch is they would only be behind like adventure games when it comes to gender ratio.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

what dragon quest class would laura bow be

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

okay you've convinced me

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think they're very rare?

Just off the top of my head (And including some with options)
Parasite Eve 1-3, Valkyrie Profile (except CotP), Most of the Atelier games, Star Ocean 2 and 6, Blue Reflection, Koudelka, Jeanne D'arc, Nier Automata and Drakengard 3, Most of the Neptunia games, La Pucelle, Reccetear, Rhapsody, Berseria and Xillia, Wild Arms 3, Xenosaga, Yggdra Union, Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy 6, FF13 trilogy, FFX-2, Suikoden III, a couple of Fire Emblems, Octopath, Odin Sphere, SaGa, Super Robot Wars...

I mean, just look at how sparse your choices are from FF and Tales. You listed two Tales games out of god knows how many, a couple FFs and their spinoffs out of a franchise with dozens of games, and there's nothing here at all from other big franchises like Dragon Quest or Shin Megami Tensei. I can understand how this feels pretty rare to people, especially since I doubt something like Neptunia or even CH/IF games as a whole will be on peoples' radar because "they're fanservice games." I don't think that's fair, I'm just advocating for why someone would feel like there's not much in the way of lady protagonists in this genre.

Also speaking of SMT and moving onto the neverending Persona fandom's complaints about no female MC, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment technically counts, I guess, even though it ruined Maya by making her a Silent Protagonist.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 14, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kirbysuperstar posted:

what dragon quest class would laura bow be

all 4101 pages of this thread were building up to this moment

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, just look at how sparse your choices are from FF and Tales. You listed two Tales games out of god knows how many, a couple FFs and their spinoffs out of a franchise with dozens of games, and there's nothing here at all from other big franchises like Dragon Quest or Shin Megami Tensei. I can understand how this feels pretty rare to people, especially since I doubt something like Neptunia or even CH/IF games as a whole will be on peoples' radar because "they're fanservice games." I don't think that's fair, I'm just advocating for why someone would feel like there's not much in the way of lady protagonists in this genre.

Also speaking of SMT and moving onto the neverending Persona fandom's complaints about no female MC, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment technically counts, I guess, even though it ruined Maya by making her a Silent Protagonist.

I mean those were off the top of my head, not a comprehensive list.

Dragon Quest IV and IX let you select a male or female character. Persona 2 EP, Persona 3 P and Soul Hackers 2 all have female protagonists. A bunch of FInal Fantasy spinoffs either let you pick your character's gender or have co-protagonists like World of Final Fantasy. Male protagonists are more common but 'rare' is not particularly correct.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 14, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NikkolasKing posted:

i dont think it's a huge deal for ff and tales tbh because most of those games do stick to more of an ensemble dynamic. cloud's the main character of ff7 and tidus is the pov character of ff10 but both games give pretty equal focus to like, tifa/aerith and yuna. dq is oldheaded as hell and smt kinda has that same thing going on but the persona 2 guy definitely had an interest in writing a wider variety of protags because digital devil saga gets way more wild with it, i feel like he probably noticed the way maya was handled in ep was a bit weird cause dds2 doesn't repeat that at all, it's maybe one of the only smt games where you do end up getting a speaking protag who has a very distinct personality and influence on the cast and the story at large. and it's not like, a temporary thing either, she literally does just become the protagonist

the games where it really matters tend to be those more niche ones that are way more willing to dig into this stuff, and in a lot of those i think you do tend to get female protags or at least a choice of one with the text of the game very explicitly changing to reflect them. games like summon night and fate/extra do a fair bit of interesting stuff with their female protags. otherwise i'd say a lot of bigger rpgs fundamentally have their lines blurred a bit with how much jrpgs specifically go into ensemble cast dynamics

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 14, 2023

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think it's definitely more common for more niche or less mainstream game, but it has been increasing with time overall.
EDIT: Beaten to the point and in a much better written way.

Tarezax posted:

The constant hammering of the point "You were born in the wrong age" kinda started making me feel bad for him. It gets to a depressing point.

Bit of an aside, but speaking of how characters fight... There's something genuinely absurd about the second most dangerous person in this conflict (potential identity spoilers)deploying Doctor Octopus tentacle armor and proceeding to use them to try to goomba stomp you like she's Mario. I get it relates to some spider oni heritage but it looks ridiculous.

HGH fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 14, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not fate if you don't meet some random historical figure who, in keeping with their origin, is obviously in possession of an ability or weapon that would allow them to flatten the white house

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Snooze Cruise posted:

Played the demo of Little Goody Two Shoes, decided not to finish it because I rather just play the full game. This probably belongs more in the adventure game or horror thread but whatever it has enough RPG elements people are not allowed to yell at me and I post in this thread more.

anyway i like the way this game looks

drat, this really does take that one late 90's anime style and run with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Anyone in here play Arc The Lad: Twilight of Spirits? Any "before I play" tips?