Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1712683803624276035?s=20

In case you want to stock up for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I wasnt on board with Lifeforce for the first twenty minutes or so but goddamn that movie goes places

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 13, 2023

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Stolen from another thread:

https://twitter.com/jimmychampane/s...ingawful.com%2F

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I've watched that video twenty times in the past two days. It's so funny. The version with the cosplayer doing it is also great.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Fortnite emote of Michael playing the theme on a synth and stabbing the keys to do the bass notes is inspired too.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:five:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The new Mike Flanagan thing is up on Netflix, Fall of the House of Usher.

I am only about 30 mins into it, but so far what stands out is that there’s quite a bit of humor in it, which I don’t recall seeing much of in Flanagan stuff before. Although I admit my Flanagan exposure has been just Hill House/Midnight Mass and Dr. Sleep.

The tone so far, is very much like Ready Or Not, and The Menu.

Also Mark Hamill is in it, playing a grumpy old man attorney, LOL

e: the basic framework is from the Poe story of the same name, but he’s also taken several other Poe stories and worked them into the narrative. I hadn’t looked at the episode names but now that I have it’s all right there.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 13, 2023

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

You can tell that the Usher family is no good because they have non-heteronormative relationships and/or are into kinky sex.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watched Picnic at Hanging Rock. Not quite what I expected. I guess I thought it was going to be more horror since i see it in horror lists. But the disappearance stuff is quite weird and fun. I just wanted some more of that and less school drama. But it’s a very pretty film and still enjoyed it.

I’ll probably need to give this one a rewatch some time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

https://youtu.be/WitFAM5zCvc?si=-ERdOyEdAS-7JDw2

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
wow it is really hard to find a physical copy of Near Dark for cheap and it's not even streaming on billibilli, what gives?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I still have my old DVD I bought back in the early 00s.

I’ve been watching for a reasonably-priced new bluray for about five years now. They are always $40-$50 it seems like.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
yeah it's ridiculous. this is a studio flick with an academy award winning director! insanity

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lol that means nothing for studios.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Fleetwood posted:

wow it is really hard to find a physical copy of Near Dark for cheap and it's not even streaming on billibilli, what gives?

it was on Criterion Channel for awhile.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fleetwood posted:

God bless piracy.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This may sound stupid but I also don’t really trust that I can buy something through a streaming service, and it’s always going to be there.

I’m still doing physical media, albeit only on the movies and shows that are the most important to me.

Near Dark is one example, but there are others.

From Dusk till Dawn and the 1978 Dawn of the Dead are others I can’t seem to find for decent prices on Blu Ray. And one particular old Godzilla film. I won’t poo poo up the thread by listing all of them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've had the same problem recently with Phantasm 2, but from what i understand, that's a specific case of there being some kind of rights and distribution issue for that movie in particular.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've had the same problem recently with Phantasm 2, but from what i understand, that's a specific case of there being some kind of rights and distribution issue for that movie in particular.

This is because Phantasm 2 's rights are tied up with a different company. Its Universal Pictures. Its why we can't get a good box set of all the Phantasm films.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Dawn of the Dead's got a similar issue, if I recall, the rights are owned by one of the producers who's real stingy about licensing it. Aside from that big DVD release it got in the early 2000s I don't think that movie's ever felt readily available to me. I've never once seen it on TV, either.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Dawn of the Dead's got a similar issue, if I recall, the rights are owned by one of the producers who's real stingy about licensing it. Aside from that big DVD release it got in the early 2000s I don't think that movie's ever felt readily available to me. I've never once seen it on TV, either.

That DVD is what I still have. I’d like to upgrade to a nicer Blu, but noooooo

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

New VHS next year. Scifi horror-themed https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3783753/the-next-v-h-s-goes-sci-fi-shudder-revealed-at-the-new-york-comic-con/

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Scream and Final Destination welcome the V/H/S franchise into the pantheon of series that keep putting out the exact same garbage (complimentary)

e: actually there are going to be more V/H/S movies than either of those

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 14, 2023

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Another weekend blooms on the second spookiest of days, October Friday the Thirteenth!

Tonight’s scream stream features are:

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0087298/parentalguide

Followed by:

Basket Case (1982)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0083624/parentalguide

https://www.unconsentingmedia.org/items/2109

And stay up for the post show! Featuring:

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974)

And…

Brimstone (1998)

You can watch tonight with preshow starting at 8:00 PM EST and the Features beginning at 8:30. Join in on https://beta.watchw.me/Lurdiak . Chat via the integrated site discord, or you can join directly at https://discord.gg/ne67A5DQ . Spooky travels, and see you next weekend, starting on Friday night!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

worse, after 3D got big in the wake of avatar that producer paid a fortune to do a 3D conversion of dawn, which of course nobody wants, so he lost his shirt on it and was holding out for some company to pay exorbitant licensing fees to recoup his losses

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Rubenstein owned the rights to Dune until they were bought by Legendary, and he's a producer on the new one, so I doubt he's hurting for money.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just started watching Tigers are Not Afraid and within 1 minute, there is the sound of what is very, very obviously the MGM Lion's roar, but my cat was like, 'nah gently caress this' and took off from my room.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m going to be the first one ITT to say that Flanagan’s new series didn’t work for me.

Full disclosure: there are eight episodes, and I made it through five and a half of them today. I will follow through and watch the rest, and maybe I need to give it another try from the beginning.

I’ll qualify this by saying my Flanaganation consists of Hill House, Dr. Sleep, and Midnight Mass.

I dig all of these, in various ways, and often for reasons that people ITT have said were precisely the things they didn’t like, so your mileage may vary.

I will try again with Usher, but my initial feelings are that it comes across like a horror compilation, because it basically is.

His framework here is Roderick Usher explaining to someone how everyone he knows has been killed in grisly fashion, and the individual episodes illustrate these events, using other Poe stories as their individual frameworks.

Not a bad idea, but also kind of not what I was hoping for after Midnight Mass and Hill House.

There is a lot of humor in it, and it’s a wicked humor. Also some scares and gore, but it seemed like a very different type of Flanagan thing to me, and I guess for that reason, it didn’t land for me.

Having said all that, I’ll bet some people ITT will like it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

11 PM on Friday the 13th.

Clearly time to watch Deep Blue Sea for the first time since 1999.

Edit : o my god. Why are the Alzheimer’s research and the shark research even in the same building

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 14, 2023

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Because they’re doing the Alzheimer research on the sharks!!!’

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s the twist lol

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Reminder that if Deep Blue Sea isn't goofy enough for you, Deep Blue Sea 2 has a scene where, I poo poo thee nay, a shark eavesdrops on a loving phone conversation

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I might need to watch Deep Blue Sea 2 on Sunday.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4DpLUPISo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6NC0rKLZuU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm watching this movie called Escape Room on tubi, it's sort of dumb but I get to watch a bunch of pretentious dickwads getting their teeth kicked in with C-tier Saw knockoff death traps so I guess it balances out :shrug:

EDIT: tying together these protruding colored tv wires makes the intercom speakers play the Gruntilda's Lair theme from Banjo-Kazooie :laffo:

White Light fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 14, 2023

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'm interested in Flanagan's new thing and Bruce Greenwood is a good choice as Roderick but my focus is on smashing out movies, so the monologue-man will have to wait

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

White Light posted:

I'm watching this movie called Escape Room on tubi, it's sort of dumb but I get to watch a bunch of pretentious dickwads getting their teeth kicked in with C-tier Saw knockoff death traps so I guess it balances out :shrug:

if you enjoyed it there's a sequel that is almost the exact same level of silly as well.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If you watch 2 make sure you watch the extended cut. Its not just deleted scenes, the theatrical cut straight up removes and replaces characters and changes the story around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

......there's another horror film called Escape Room on here?

I just got done watching this one

Which one's the original and which one's the imposter? :psyduck: