Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What if there's a prolonged power cut and your tablet runs out of battery - aha - then what? I say, then what?

Then I can't do any of the rest of the stuff that I need to put the report together :v:

And also we might have to shut down the site anyway cos the containment system is partially power dependent.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I bet you don't even have a book of log tables or a slide rule lying around for those harder calculations in the event of a power cut. (Saying which I have no idea where my slide rules are these days, I may even have chucked them out! Don't even have a book of log tables anymore :qq:

I don't have log tables but I do have a book of tables precalculating some of the values that have a finite acceptable range of inputs because it's easier to just look them up. No slide rule, can they do cube roots? I have to do cube roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pythagoras was a hack and didn't even come up with his lovely theorum

https://www.livescience.com/earliest-form-of-pythagorean-triplet

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

"Jeremy Hunt warns of ‘difficult decisions’ ahead as public finances worsen"

Probably for the best. They've been spoiling the people these last 13 years, after all

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

And also we might have to shut down the site anyway cos the containment system is partially power dependent.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

No slide rule, can they do cube roots? I have to do cube roots.
They can!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUyMXjvDhHQ

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Brb getting a log tables tramp stamp

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

… I think it was a tilde that did me in too trying to figure out how on earth to reproduce it (it might not have been tilde but it was a symbol of some sort - 20 years ago now so memory is a bit faded!)
I know for sure I spent the best part of a day trying to figure out how to just write "~60" in my thesis. LaTeX is a prime example of Linux-brained thinking run amok, something that promotes itself as:

quote:

LaTeX is not a word processor! Instead, LaTeX encourages authors not to worry too much about the appearance of their documents but to concentrate on getting the right content.
ends up as something with a huge list of required but also conflicting packages required to do anything useful and bullshit like this to use a bog-standard character:

LaTeX is good for typesetting maths and organising references and should be banned from doing anything else. Yes, I'll have a large McChicken meal, please.

TACD fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 13, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What if there's a prolonged power cut and your tablet runs out of battery - aha - then what? I say, then what?

in the lonely barren wastelands of mathematics, the casio calculator with solar panel backup is king

....provided it's daytime and you are near a window and you can figure out how to shift it out of the weird computational mode it's stuck in

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

Yes, I'll have a large McChicken meal, please.
Careful, you'll set Giles Coren off.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Good for annoying flat earthers from base principles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5XldvmWJIg

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
My newish workplace uses Ms office for everything and I'm just amazed how every successive button with an ellipsis makes you travel seven years into the past

A while back I did some fairly ambitious vba and had to figure out how to script inputting formatted text, it genuinely broke parts of my brain

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I do enjoy it when social media reactionaries do the "when was the last time you used Pythagoras' Theorem? They should teach kids some libertarian bullshit at school instead" thing, because the legume pervert and his square roots are in fact the only mathematical function that is worthwhile knowing off by heart for joinery and roofline engineering purposes.

I think the average tradie using this probably has just internalised the concept of "3:4:5 triangle", but it's good to teach them the theoretical basis of that as kids because takes like half an hour and is better than "just cuz"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I thought tramp stamps were for women who didn't pull their trousers up properly thus revealing their builder's cleavage with a tattoo above.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

My newish workplace uses Ms office for everything

Not as popular as Ms Pacman

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Good for annoying flat earthers from base principles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5XldvmWJIg

Great video, and now I think I have a new way of finishing all conversations:

"'And thus', as Malvolio said: 'The whirligig of time/Brings in his revenges' "

Stare benevolently for a few seconds.

End scene.

E: I just used it in a text to my wife about some petty revenge, and she completely no-selled me. Owned.

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 13, 2023

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I like LaTeX and use it whenever I can for my Open University degree.

Nothing else comes close for type setting equations.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 14, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't remind me! I wanted LaTex to put the page titles on my thesis pages the way I wanted them not the way it did

This is why I did my last CV in Omnigraffle.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Overleaf has made Latex a lot less painful, I recommend it.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Printing 11 copies of your PhD thesis sounds insane. Also getting the non-final version bound is bizarre.

I think in total I printed 3 bound copies, and only 2 of them were in colour
Because we have public defences here PhD candidates have to have like 50 copies printed to hand out to whoever walks in off the street to heckle them. I think the open defence is sort of nice really, the ones I've attended have been fun although I haven't seen any sword fights like they have in Finland.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

Overleaf has made Latex a lot less painful, I recommend it.

Because we have public defences here PhD candidates have to have like 50 copies printed to hand out to whoever walks in off the street to heckle them. I think the open defence is sort of nice really, the ones I've attended have been fun although I haven't seen any sword fights like they have in Finland.

Not heard of Overleaf before (mind you, I haven't had reason to use LaTex for well over a decade now) but a quick glance at the website it seems a handy tool.
I used an implementation called MikTex back in the day and ghostscript or ghostview to create .eps image files and .dvi to show them (or maybe the other way round - I've forgotten). Do they still use postscript images?

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This is why I did my last CV in Omnigraffle.

Another one I never heard of before!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You can just buy latex now instead of trying to code it ya dummies

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Angepain posted:

The problem with VBA is when the one person who bothered to learn Visual Basic leaves and then you have an untouchable magic incantation spreadsheet that everyone is hoping will never break. now of course the answer is "actually train your staff to have better skills to do their job correctly" but that costs money so

Work in the NHS and can confirm. I don't even use VBA because of this, simple conditional formatting, lookups and use of tables* is enough to make people scared. When I started a previous job as a ward clerk 4 years ago, the prior admin had been recording dates as "dd mm yyyy". With spaces, as a text string. Sometimes with additional text in the cell. People simply do not understand Excel to be more than "notepad with gridlines".

Maybe most annoying thing is that we have a hospital information system that records referral/assessment/discharge dates and demographic data, as you might expect. Trying to get it to generate meaningful reports is impossible though, so we still have to rely on locally recorded data for quarterly/annual reports. The person making said reports for us has a psychology degree and has used R and SPSS, and yet doesn't know how to deal with simple Excel formulae. It's baffling.

*actually moving/inserting rows into an Excel table with conditional formatting is a nightmare and I'm begging for Microsoft to let me apply a rule to a named range. VBA would work better for so much of it in the meantime, but I'm not smart or paid enough to figure it out, other than to make a macro to put "shrink to fit" on the ribbon.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Wait...

Those percentages dont add up to 100?

Was option 4 'Goku!'

I assume they removed the fob-off answer of "it was okay"

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Work in the NHS and can confirm. I don't even use VBA because of this, simple conditional formatting, lookups and use of tables* is enough to make people scared. When I started a previous job as a ward clerk 4 years ago, the prior admin had been recording dates as "dd mm yyyy". With spaces, as a text string. Sometimes with additional text in the cell. People simply do not understand Excel to be more than "notepad with gridlines".

"Fond" memories of a job ~15 years ago where the department was making multi-million pound money market trades based on a massively complex and shonky excel document where all the lookups and formulae kept breaking, and we could never get anyone to fix other than "that guy who knows some excel" because the corporate IT policy was that if you hosed up your complicated excel doc then it was your own problem.

There was a backup of course. Which was the same sheet, saved into the same location but with BACKUP VERSION after the name obviously.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I assume they removed the fob-off answer of "it was okay"
The missing option was "who?"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Nuclear Spoon posted:

When I worked in the NHS I had a big fall out with someone over her use of Excel. We merged with another unit and the new boss gave her the job to manage project budgets.. well she would type the various numbers in the spreadsheet but instead of using a formula to sum them up, she would add them up on her calculator and type the answer in. Then of course if a payment slipped months or changed, she'd have to hand calculate everything all over again to type the new numbers in.
One of the boss class said to me "she works so hard she was in 4 hours last night doing the calculations" and I said "that's because she doesn't know how to use Excel - do you know what she does? (proceeded to tell him - he was none the wiser because he thought an Etch-a-Sketch was a laptop) Once it's set up properly I could do all these changes in a few minutes not 4 bloody hours!

When I was in rail there were all these different departments doing their own thing with spreadsheets - worst was the HR dept trying to monitor Working TIme Directive hours for people doing shifts - the importance of using a consistent name for individuals escaped them, lack of understanding that an O is not a 0 and no, the computer doesn't know you mean 0 when you type O, and inserting all these prettification lines into sheets of data instead of have the data on one sheet and if you must produce a pretty report from it, do the report on a second page with =datasheet!C3 or whatever in the cells. I asked them, if you want to set up a spreadsheet to monitor something, please come and ask the analysts to help you do it properly! (Even though it wasn't our job and some point down the road, the analysts were always roped in to help sort things out).

(My brother in law always tells me off for going on about this kind of stuff - he's one of the worst offenders - and says "I expect there are things you can't do" - fair enough but I'm not getting paid £0000s to do things I can't do properly.)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think in total I printed 3 bound copies, and only 2 of them were in colour

One of the ways I know that neither of my parents actually read my PhD thesis is that very few of the figures make any sense whatsoever in the grayscale versions that they have

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that's the shittest parental grievance i've ever heard

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I cant believe you didn't read this long boring niche document

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tesseraction posted:

LibreOffice is freeer because it has free in the name. In Spanish. A more free language.

I just mixed myself a Cuba LibreOffice

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Scientastic posted:

One of the ways I know that neither of my parents actually read my PhD thesis is that very few of the figures make any sense whatsoever in the grayscale versions that they have

I didn't bother giving my mum a copy of my thesis, I doubt she would have gotten much out of an abstruse investigation of alterations in the mitochondrial proteome of leukaemic cells in response to anti-mitotic chemotherapeutics. (God knows the scientific community at large didn't give a shite either)

I did give her the acknowledgements page though cause I dedicated it to her.

Also, I quite like the public defence aspect of the Scandinavian viva, though I'm sure I would have been making GBS threads it at the time. As I understand it the 50 copies of your thesis are like little pocket -sized versions though, right?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got my brother's thesis, we all got one. Haven't read it though, it's a pamphlet of hard sums.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Writing a research paper and drinking tea out of a giant SCIENCE DIRECT mug

I bet that would sell pretty well.

They don't have any, I checked.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 13, 2023

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Lol do you know that Martin Daubney bit on GBeebies where he totally fucks it up and he’s like and now we have so and so NO WE DONT it’s CHIP CHAPMAN, CHIP CHAPMAN HELLO.

Well I found Chip Chapman to be a funny enough name to look him up; and it turns out he’s just been employed by the Trip Group.

Hi Julie yeah can you get hold of Chip Chapman From Trip Group. LOL

And now we have Trip Group’s Chip Chapman!

Maybe he helped write the Law Blog of Bob Loblaw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if chip chapman could chomp chupa chups on a chaparral?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
BREAKING: CHIP CHAPMAN HAS CHAPPED HIS CHIPMAN, SAY TRIP GROUP

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The new CEO of Hammer Films is called John Gore which is fairly on the nose.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

UKMT I saw this and thought of you

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyBAKp6IR_W/

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Dead Goon posted:

I like LaTeX and use it whenever I can for my Open University degree.

Nothing else comes close for type formatting equations.

I hate LaTeX and avoided it completely in my OU maths degree. Literally wrote all my assignments by hand because ugh.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

keep punching joe posted:

The new CEO of Hammer Films is called John Gore which is fairly on the nose.

they’re not still making them?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also, I quite like the public defence aspect of the Scandinavian viva, though I'm sure I would have been making GBS threads it at the time. As I understand it the 50 copies of your thesis are like little pocket -sized versions though, right?

Yeah they're usually A5. Lots of people have a shelf of them in their office, it's a nice memento and very occasionally even useful to look up a past student's work.