Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Just got done binging the first few episodes. Loving the extended episodes and also love seeing idols finally get nerfed.

Kaleb and Emily are obviously great and I'm glad they both survived. It's impressive how bad their tribe is at puzzles.

Katurah just constantly hating on Bruce is amusing and I can't wait to see how that one sided rivalry plays out. I don't think she'll be able to take it if he blindsides her.

The third tribe is kind of boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

freeman posted:

Just got done binging the first few episodes. Loving the extended episodes and also love seeing idols finally get nerfed.

Kaleb and Emily are obviously great and I'm glad they both survived. It's impressive how bad their tribe is at puzzles.

Katurah just constantly hating on Bruce is amusing and I can't wait to see how that one sided rivalry plays out. I don't think she'll be able to take it if he blindsides her.

The third tribe is kind of boring.

#bigtoeenergy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Khanstant posted:

lol sebiah. my new thing is id use any idol i get immediately. even if it whiffs, id rather waste an idol than be voted out with or because of one in my pocket.

Now all the hidden idols are these generic bead strings they're not even cool souvenirs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So of all places, Facebook may have accidentally leaked the configurations of the swap tribes next week:

Lulu: Kaleb, Bruce, Jake, Katurah, Kellie
Reba: J.Maya, Sifu, Julie, Dee, Sean
Belo: Austin, Drew, Brando, Kendra, Emily

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i havent spent enough time w the other tribes to remember all their names yet, but lulu is evenly divided up, are the other two tribes also equitably split?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Khanstant posted:

i havent spent enough time w the other tribes to remember all their names yet, but lulu is evenly divided up, are the other two tribes also equitably split?

Looks like it's Lulu evenly split, four members of the other two tribes with one Lulu each, and then the remaining two members of each tribe join up with the last Lulu.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Goddamn, this season is delivering. Definitely the best of the new era unless it crashes, just on the strength of 90-minutes and the season format changes. If the season ramps UP this could be the best one since DvG, though I'm not ready to say that yet.

As people have already said, 90 minutes is giving us back stuff that's been seriously missing even since before Covid, but I also like the idol nerfs and focusing on advantages that encourage social decisions. ALSO, it looks like the 'sob story segment' has been quietly taken out back and shot, which is good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Fast Luck posted:

The reasoning that he’d beat people at the end was so funny. I think you’re getting ahead of yourself a little bit! You don’t even have flint!!

Of all the things people attribute to new survivor to me the thing that most represents it is how aggressive people play from the start. I guess if everyone else is doing it you kind of have to.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
That's definitely not something I'd attribute to the people who have won the game in the new era

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

obliriovrons posted:

That's definitely not something I'd attribute to the people who have won the game in the new era

That's sort of the point though isn't it. So many people are playing aggressive that they get targets put on their backs and the ones who are able to slide under everyone's radar are the ones that end up winning.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
"Vote out the big threat" on episode 3 when your tribe is way behind is... well, it's something

Good TV
Bad strategy, I would think

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think you can end up being too big of a survivor fan when you’re finding “big threats” with like 15 people left in the game. They end up overthinking everything. Just be a blandass piece of white toast till top 8!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
90 min eps are a complete game-changer for Survivor but it's awful for Amazing Race. This week's episode had like 30 minutes of them just throwing fruit around, it's terrible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I just watched the episode and its really dragging with no changes to the format. Also making a big deal about not having non-elimination legs and then this week effectively being a non-elimination leg through the "whoops this pit stop isn't actually the end of the leg" thing that I don't think anyone actually likes is lame.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I agree. Amazing Race can be pretty boring, especially at the start of the season, because you watch the teams do the challenges over and over again (since they don't all start at the same time). I like it better once it is down to half the teams and there is much less repetitiveness.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

njsykora posted:

Yeah I just watched the episode and its really dragging with no changes to the format. Also making a big deal about not having non-elimination legs and then this week effectively being a non-elimination leg through the "whoops this pit stop isn't actually the end of the leg" thing that I don't think anyone actually likes is lame.

It's basically a requirement for 13 teams & 12-13 episodes to have at least 1 non elimination episode. Non-elimination legs are a big deal though for the show and teams. Not that I think they have in the past, but there's no chance for production to save a team by making a leg a non elimination after they know which team is going to be last. As it is this season, Phil is already handing out clues for the next leg before they know which team is would finish last, clearly a better system.

I guess you could just argue they should get more teams if they want to fill enough episodes, but 13 teams is already more than they've ever run (In the US version) & more teams would require more camera operators since each team travels with 2.

I've enjoyed the 90 minute episodes, sure the fruit challenge was too long, but only 3 episodes in and you already know all the teams, pretty rare that would happen in the 60 minute format.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
apologies for bringing that here, I didn't realize at the time that there was an Amazing Race thread. as penance I will say that Dee is very clearly winning this season and she should get surgery to make her toes even bigger with her winnings.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

njsykora posted:

ehh it's at least different for the racers. You don't get a 12 hour break at the "end" of the non-elimination leg, you have to keep going after you've already done 2 challenges

We'll see how next week turns out I guess, if it seems to matter at all

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I also like the 90 minute Amazing Race episodes

Poque posted:

apologies for bringing that here, I didn't realize at the time that there was an Amazing Race thread. as penance I will say that Dee is very clearly winning this season and she should get surgery to make her toes even bigger with her winnings.

do not apologize for spreading joy

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

I also like the 90 minute Amazing Race episodes

do not apologize for spreading joy

but all I did was complain about it :v:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Poque posted:

but all I did was complain about it :v:

What greater joy is there?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Poque posted:

90 min eps are a complete game-changer for Survivor but it's awful for Amazing Race. This week's episode had like 30 minutes of them just throwing fruit around, it's terrible.

Yeah, that wasn't a really engaging challenge, but the 90 minutes is doing a better job at showing each of the teams. Last season there were several teams that I completely forgot about every episode until they showed up to the pit stop and I was like, who the gently caress is this

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also worth considering that there are like 11 teams left and only 2 tasks that leg. Once they trim the fat and probably get more complex legs it might feel less forced.

Survivor might be interesting once you get down to like 6 or 7 people. What are you spending the extra 30 minutes on?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also worth considering that there are like 11 teams left and only 2 tasks that leg. Once they trim the fat and probably get more complex legs it might feel less forced.

Survivor might be interesting once you get down to like 6 or 7 people. What are you spending the extra 30 minutes on?

Australian Survivor is often quite boring in the final 6 or 7 players because they fill so much time and there's often very little going on. But there's time to show some more strategy, even the plans that don't happen.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

inferis posted:

Something I noticed about the text of the hidden immunity idol: it doesn’t actually explicitly say what it does if you sacrifice a second vote, only “gains even more power”. It sounded like the other players made the obvious assumption that it is immunity through final five but I feel like it’s ambiguous enough that there’s a chance it will do something else that will be revealed later

I notice it doesn't say "merge" it says "all players are together on the same beach"

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Pooping in the ocean

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Exodor posted:

I notice it doesn't say "merge" it says "all players are together on the same beach"

They haven't merged immediately the last 4 seasons. They haven't felt the need to actually change the format of the 40s Survivor, so no reason to expect it for 45... :(

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Exodor posted:

As soon as you show up for a challenge, your idol is invalidated. To preserve your idol you must hide in the bushes and refuse to step foot on the sand.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hot Potato Advantage: if this idol is in the possession of one person for more than 24 hours it becomes powerless.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

njsykora posted:

Hot Potato Advantage: if this idol is in the possession of one person for more than 24 hours it becomes powerless.

So you have to cut it in half, then?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A fractured idol you can pick and choose what percentage of it to use. If you only need to nullify 2 of your tribes votes at a tribal, then break off a third or whatever proportion of the idol you want to feel safe.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Survivor Idol Pizza.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They haven't merged immediately the last 4 seasons. They haven't felt the need to actually change the format of the 40s Survivor, so no reason to expect it for 45... :(

Hey, we're getting a swap!

Pretty sure the Jeff line on Mergatory is that he thinks by reducing half the available people to vote out, it makes the strategy easier to follow for the mainstream/casual audience. Yet I guess a thousand idols and advantages is fine

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i kinda wonder if part of its existence is so that the types jeff usually goes for, typically masculine blue collar boot straps types are usually merge vote fodder and this is a way of shaking it up enough that its not as much of a sure thing as prior seasons

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i kinda wonder if part of its existence is so that the types jeff usually goes for, typically masculine blue collar boot straps types are usually merge vote fodder and this is a way of shaking it up enough that its not as much of a sure thing as prior seasons

Isn't the typical merge boot 'that girl who's not in the majority alliance and is least likely to have an idol (played for them)'?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sometimes it's "leader of a majority alliance that alienated someone enough that they flip just to get them out"

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Maryanne just got engaged to a nerd who hit her up on social media when she said she liked skinny white guys :3:

People magazine article

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Survivor UK finally has a trailer. There’s still no official air date but it’s rumoured to start at the end of this month. It’s been made by the same company as Australian Survivor (but won’t be as long) so I have high hopes.

https://youtu.be/N5yVvO7tMZk?si=r7LkflGK43X5EdkO

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Not sure if I'm feeling the host tbh. But I'll watch it anyway most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I'll watch it, I didn't think the host choice was good when it was announced but I'm glad someone on the production has actually watched the US show this time and it's not like he can be worse than Mark Austin was.

Though the episodes will likely be a full 60m, so functionally the same as the US 90m episodes.