Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Anyone can appoint themselves as the lead of any flight without permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

FLIGHT PLAN:

[snip]

Loadout: 2x AIM-9P5, 2x 275gallon tank, 7x Mark-82 bomb.

How do we get there? By using the Rio Gallegos TACAN radio beacon with code 69X.
Right after departure, we turn to fly the 174 degree magnetic radial AWAY from Rio Gallegos and climb to 15,000 feet. When the distance measuring equipment, DME, on the plane says we are 56 miles away, we turn to 215 degrees magnetic heading. This will align us with the highway for the most part. We fly for 28 miles and we should spot the depot and convoy visually. 28 nautical miles should take us roughly 4.5 minutes at this altitude to travel.

We return home by flying initially heading 360, then intercepting the same TACAN 69X with a course of 076 degrees magnetic and landing at Rio Gallegos.

Our goal isn't to engage air targets, but to bomb this convoy and site. However we do have missiles for self defence. If needed, we can jettison fuel tanks after bomb release and act as a CAP for a short moment, but preferably not.

Flight lead, I ran some calculations, and I worry that your recommended loadout leaves us dangerously close to MTOW and with so much fuel that we would have to try to burn fuel extra fast just to not be severely G-limited when we reach the objective. If we take 5x mk-82s and no fuel tanks at all, and we fly at an inefficient 5,000-7,000 feet the whole way, we can travel about 420 nautical miles.

With the ferry tanks you have suggested and 7x mk-82s, we can travel at about 540 nautical miles on a similar profile, but notice how marginal the gains are with all that fuel and only 2x additional bombs. This is because with all those pylons loaded to the max, and 4,008 additional pounds of fuel and fuel tank fittings, we become, to use an aeronautical term, "heavy and draggy as gently caress." The marginal returns of burning fuel to carry fuel really start to kick in, as the fuel tanks make up 49% of the mass of our external loads, plus drag. Also, we would have to ditch these fuel tanks, and we all know how we hate to litter and throw out good fuel tanks.

I am begging you not to make our wee Tigers so unfathomably fat and unwieldly, flying with extra fuel only so that we must use burner just to hold altitude and minimum speed, burn the fuel off as fast as possible, and ditch it. We could instead fly sleeker and sill carry thousands of pounds of bombs.

if you absolutely want a bunch of extra fuel, for the love of god, 150 gallon tanks exist instead of the absurdly huge, heavy, draggy 275 gallon ferry tanks

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Flight lead, I ran some calculations, and I worry that your recommended loadout leaves us dangerously close to MTOW and with so much fuel that we would have to try to burn fuel extra fast just to not be severely G-limited when we reach the objective. If we take 5x mk-82s and no fuel tanks at all, and we fly at an inefficient 5,000-7,000 feet the whole way, we can travel about 420 nautical miles.

With the ferry tanks you have suggested and 7x mk-82s, we can travel at about 540 nautical miles on a similar profile, but notice how marginal the gains are with all that fuel and only 2x additional bombs. This is because with all those pylons loaded to the max, and 4,008 additional pounds of fuel and fuel tank fittings, we become, to use an aeronautical term, "heavy and draggy as gently caress." The marginal returns of burning fuel to carry fuel really start to kick in, as the fuel tanks make up 49% of the mass of our external loads, plus drag. Also, we would have to ditch these fuel tanks, and we all know how we hate to litter and throw out good fuel tanks.

I am begging you not to make our wee Tigers so unfathomably fat and unwieldly, flying with extra fuel only so that we must use burner just to hold altitude and minimum speed, burn the fuel off as fast as possible, and ditch it. We could instead fly sleeker and sill carry thousands of pounds of bombs.

if you absolutely want a bunch of extra fuel, for the love of god, 150 gallon tanks exist instead of the absurdly huge, heavy, draggy 275 gallon ferry tanks

Point taken, no tanks henceforth and we take two less bombs.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 11, 2023

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lord Stimperor posted:

General Scholz, has it been decided yet who will be in command of Chevy Flight and who will plan this mission out?

If there is no one, please let me know so you and I can work out an attack plan with you.

Also regarding weapons of choice, I can't find the Kh-28 missile. The SU-25T can employ two different anti-radiation missiles: the Kh-58U, which I presume you meant, and the Kh-25MPU. Of the two, I recommend the Kh-58U if it can be made available. It is much heavier, but at a strike range of up to 70km, it gives Chevy flight the best chance of escaping counter-fire. In the area of Escalpelo, there are otherwise precious few geographical features behind which Chevy can duck. If they can even be fast enough. Wikipedia Our military archives tell me that the Chinese HQ-16 (that's it, right?) missile is a BUK derivative with an effective range of about 40km, perhaps a bit more -- with the Kh58, we can beat it. Chevy flight should be able to carry two missiles per element plus additional munitions for targets of opportunity.

Edit:

Based on the information provided, I believe that the image below is the best approach to eliminate the threat from HQ-16. In this scenario, Chevy flight approaches the Magellan Strait from the North (WP1). The Strait shall be crosse West of Puerto Sara, due South. When crossing the bay abeam of Cabo Negro (WP2), the Kh-58 can be released; by that time, the HQ-16 should be painting us, but not yet able to reach us. This path should also minimze the warning time given to enemy forces at Puerto Arenas.

The trip should be doable within 250nm, or 450km. That's easily within range of the SU25 without external stores, however depending on additional tasking, we may consider external tanks.

Kh-58 yes. Sorry, was looking at older wikipedia technical pages.

Plan Approved.

Congratulations on your promotion to Flight Lead of Chey Stimperor

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Zephirum posted:

In the dead of night on 14 Feb 2010, the HMS Agincourt surfaces, and Task Force 223 makes their move.

It's time for our tie-in Arma 3 mission: OPERATION LANCET

:siren: We're running it October 13th at 7:00 PM CST (00:00 UTC) :siren:

OVERVIEW
The PLA Navy is using the Falklands as its primary hub of sealift operations to sustain combat in the South Atlantic. However, the small capacity of Port Arthur has bottlenecked the transfer of goods so ships are docked in temporary ports across the eastern coast.
The Choiseul Sound is currently holding transport ships belonging to the 6th Sustainment Task Group, who have deployed their own Marine Forces to garrison the isthmus surrounding Goose Green and Darwin.
This presents a unique opportunity. Since the Group is both far from other ground elements and from other naval elements, a commando team could sneak in and damage the vulnerable parked ships.

GAMEPLAN
Squadron X-RAY of the Royal Navy SBS will infiltrate the Goose Green area by boat and sabotage the transport ships stationed there.
Marines from the 1st Assault Group will also deploy to provide fire support as needed.

COMMON QUESTIONS
How will comms work? We're using Discord. In the future, if there's enough demand, maybe TFAR or ACRE...
ACE Medical? Not today! This will use ACE No Medical with the build-in Revive system.

CLICK HERE to sign up: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jOSz0U-zNviZzIqRkLXsW3S2MP6s9Uc3nc9Rodi8o9o/edit?usp=sharing
MOD LIST HERE (and on the signup): https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qdpp0swuz91xubhwfz3cu/Arma-3-Preset-Air-Goons-Afternoon-War.html?rlkey=m8en98d763vxejwlggqhn51of&dl=0
Yes the preview is ugly, but just drag and drop the downloaded HTML file into the Arma 3 Launcher.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 14, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_mCf0mL9IE

Speaking of signups, come fly with us!

We're looking for some volunteer pilots to join us in defending Freedom, Justice, and the South American way! Some 40 goons will fly a plot-heavy campaign in South America in 2010 as a combined Latin American Air Force Coalition while playing Digital Combat Simulator (DCS World). Weekly main mission scheduled at 2000hrs Universal Time on Saturdays. The time and place means that these air forces lack many modern airplanes, and are limited in their weapon selection, with some exceptions such as the Chilean F-16 Vipers.

Our carriers and airfields are filled with A-4 Skyhawks and SU-25T Frogfoots - potent strike fighters that want to take to the skies. One could be yours! We currently have slots open on the roster to fly one of these aircraft in the next fight, and we need you! You don't need to be experienced, and you're welcome to bring a friend! Interactive training missions and detailed manuals are available for all the modules, and there are excellent written guides and tutorial videos created by the community. If you like flight simulators you are most likely in the right place. As some of our supportive flight leaders say:

Snapshot posted:

The bar is officially below landing. If you can crash in the general direction of the airfield, you’re good enough. Of course recovering the aircraft is a good goal.

Vahakyla posted:

There's all kinds of roles. Air Battle Managers, JTACs, pilots, planners, etc. All kinds of flying poo poo and tangential roles are available. There are goons who have played for years, never even owning a single DCS airplane. Lots of tools are free, and the LotATC battle management and ATC software is server-side license on our dime as to not put costs on the user. An armada of goons are willing to teach you any and all aspects of military aviation.

https://i.imgur.com/lDkqJ0h.mp4

What do you need to join the fight? While our advanced pilots employ the latest VR hardware and accessories to achieve a remarkable simulation experience, novice pilots will find that the requirements for joining are quite reasonable:

DCS World (free): https://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/DCS_World_Steam_Edition/
The South Atlantic DLC (paid): https://store.steampowered.com/app/2017210/DCS_South_Atlantic/
Either a joystick or gaming controller

That's it! Come Sail the Seven Seas with us as a naval aviator in a A-4 Skyhawk (free), or Fly, Fight, and Win with the combined air forces of South America in an SU-25T Frogfoot (also free). The A-4 has particularly strong support for gamepads, and we've got lots of them available. Our helpful flight leaders are available on AirGoons Discord to assist you into the cockpit: https://discord.gg/airgoons

Here's an example of the game in action, as demonstrated by one of our expert naval aviators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVzqsoV3uqU

Want more information? Check out these recruiting posts for earlier campaigns: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989829#post520446777
The DCS Thread is here if you wanna check out the game itself: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891
Air Goons Wiki for our nerdery writing and lots of the concepts and explanations of air combat: https://www.airgoons.com/w/Main_Page

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 12, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

:siren: CHEVY FLIGHT STILL HAS A SPOT FREE. SIGN UP YOU DINGUS. THE SU25T IS FREE. THERE ARE HARDLY ANY CONTROLS TO LEARN FOR THIS MISSION. THIS TUTORIAL DOES IT IN SEVEN MINUTES. OUR DISCORD IS FULL OF DORKS WHO WILL SET YOU UP! :siren:

Chevy Flight: Mission plan

quote:

(You scribble your name on the blackboard)

"Alright you nerds, listen up! This is the game plan. We'll eliminate an air defense site that is a threat to our CAS flights on Tierra del Fuego."

(You turn around; in the room are one of your mechanics who is stealing cookies, the janitor, and the base's Golden Retriever who looks at you attentively)

"Well alrighty then"

Overview
You are tasked to incapacitate an HQ-16 (Chinese SA-11) site located near Porvenir. We will fly a route along two waypoints (WP1, WP2), attack the site marked on the map, and bug out.

Suggestd loadout
1x Fantasmagoria pod
2x Kh-58U anti-radiation missiles
2x Kh-25MPU anti-radition missiles
2x R60M

Depending on intel on the day, consider adding either:
2x R73 Radar A/A missile
OR
2x Unguided rocket pods

Note: additional Kh-25MPU missiles or other ordinance is not recommended. This will push the SU-25T above MTOW, and Puerto Natales does not have a runway long enough to get it in the air. It will not serve any purpose either, as the HQ-16 has a good chance of engaging you before you get inside the maximum range, anyway.

Loadout reference here

Departure from Puerto Natales
* After startup allow 3 minutes for the INS to align. Otherwise the A/G mode will not show accurate headings.
* You will need the entire runway including threshold to take off, so taxi out all the way
* The SU25T-heading tape shows true track, therefore all briefed directions are true unless stated otherwise

* After takeoff, turn track 115 to WP1, which is approximately 100nm or 180km out.
* Climbout at full power to 4000m, after that 95% power.
* Head to the shore of the Magellan strait, WP1. Take care to not stray too far West or South, as that may bring you close to hostile Punto Arenas.

Ingress
* When approaching the Magellan strait, you are within detection but not engagement area of the SAM site.
* When reaching the shore (WP1), turn due south and accelerate to full power.
* Lock onto the SAM site using your ELINT pod.

Attack
* You should be well above 4000m and 650km/h
* A few seconds after obtaining launch authorization, launch both Kh-58 with a few seconds interval.
* You have enough fuel for one or two race tracks to approach potential additional SAM launchers at Porvenir. However consider that the SAM site's engagement zone likely exceeds your KH25-MPUs maximum range. Thus, if you decide to run in again, defend immediately after launching.
* RTB when fuel <= 190

Egress
* Return to Puerto Natales on track 305 or as advised by ATC.

Threat management
* Avoid Punto Arenas
* Listen to the ABM for potentially hostile CAP
* This mission is close your MTOW, upon departure the SU25T will fly like a pig.
* Keep an eye on the fuel gauge. Without tanks (which are too heavy to carry), you have just a few attack runs of endurance on this mission. Your route/fuel-situation is not FAA-/EASA-compliant.

Communications Plan
Chevy Flight frequency: 135.00
ATC: 260.00
ABM: 261.00

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 13, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I know the final flight plans are being worked on, so here's the game master last rites:

The practical gameplay effects are as follows. From the best of my knowledge and from how all plans are made and what the intents of the commanders have been, I've identified these points:

1: Intent to destroy the two bridges in the west side of the AO.

Panther 2 and Springfield one has been assigned to them, and the bridges have been named "Gualichu" and "Wekufe".
These bridges are currently in the literal frontline and they represent the two roads that even come from the west. Holding them is essential to the PLAGF.

2: Intent to destroy the supply convoy on highway Y-65

Uzi 1 and its 4 F-5s have been assigned to the convoy. They will bomb it.

If, AND ONLY IF, these two bridges are destroyed AND the supply convoy is degraded during the operation, will the western side of the AO stabilize for a few days. It will buy time, and will stall the Chinese attack.

If only the bridges are destroyed, the supply convoy will support bridge laying units and after a brief delay, will proceed. If only the support convoy gets destroyed, it is likely that the Argentinian troops are not able to hold on to the bridges much longer and will have to retreat more.

-----------------

On the naval side, the A-4 Skyhawks from the carrier ARA Veinticinco de Mayo are attacking the detected LSTs in the fjords. Whatever it is that the chinese are planning, destruction of more than half the ships will mean it gets stalled. Any less, and they will proceed.

---------------------

Finally, the intent is to resupply Franco Bianco airport with C-130 supply runs. To fully support the Argentinian artillery units in combat in the AO, we require 4x supply runs on a C-130 flown by a human. Any less, and it fails. Extra credit for extra flight. If they are quick, the C-130s have the chance of returning to Rio Gallegos to get more and they could rack up the total supply to 2 trips each.

-----------------------

Too many things to list, but all ships in the blufor navy are named and placed on the map, and their status will be tracked. As will be status of for example the RORO-ferry at Puerto Progreso, or the status of the blufor support base. So, fly accordingly, and don't waste airplanes.

The BLUFOR bullseye is placed at this prominent geographic feature in the Strait of Magellan at Puerto Sara. When referencing off of it, it can be easy to visually place yourself on a rough scale. In addition the Bullseye has a mobile TACAN unit at it, broadcasting at 66X, callsign "BLS".

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Excellent plan Capitán Stimperor - good hunting.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio
South American Combined Armada

The combined strike plan against PLAN assets operating near Puntas Arenas has been reviewed and is now finalized. Flights Ford 1 and 2 (5x A-4 Skyhawks operating from the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo) will attack Site02 (a group of landing ships guarded by at least one Tarantul corvette with MANPADs and likely some Type 037 corvettes with AA guns). Flight Pontiac 1 (2x M2000C Mirages from the Rio Turbio Airport) will maintain a CAP nearby. The corvette CNS Isaza will support the strike via the Magellan Strait.

Be aware there's been sightings of PLAF J-7 Fishcans operating in the area. Site02 is a group of PLAN corvettes and landing craft. There's at least one Tarantul corvette with MANPADs at Site02, which is the priority target for Ford 1. The landing craft ships will be the target for Ford 2. Pontiac 1 will be armed with both semi-active radar missiles (FOX1) and infrared missiles (FOX2), and will be loitering approximately 30 nmi from Site02 and able to intercept enemy fighters within seconds. However, with J-7s having high speed it will require coordination with the Air Battle Managers (ABMs) to be vectored quickly in order to react in time to protect the bomb-laden A-4s. Fortunately, multiple ABMs have been assigned, with one focusing on CAP and the other on CAS.

Weather: Altimeter 29.41 Winds are 075 for 10. Scattered clouds at 9000. Temp 11 Celcius

Ford 1 Flight Lead: Sauerdot
Ford 2 Flight Lead: Jerik
Estimated Distance: 280 km / 150 nmi
ARA Veinticinco de Mayo (VOR: VCM, TACAN 25X). Divert will be Puerto Natales SCNT (VOR: PNT, TACAN: 26X)
A-4 Skyhawk Loadout: Mk-82, MK-84, 300 Gal Bag, Mk-84, Mk-82

Pontiac 1 Flight Lead: Prawned
Estimated Distance: 450 km / 250 nmi
Rio Turbio SAWT (VOR: PNT, TACAN: 26X). Divert will be Puerto Natales SCNT (VOR: PNT, TACAN: 26X)
M2000C Mirage Loadout: Magic II, Super 530D, 340 Gal Bag, Super 530D, Magic II

The Chilean corvette CNS Aspirante Isaza is ordered to proceed SE along the Magellan Strait approximately 80 km / 45 nmi. At approximately 30 knots this will take them about 1.5 hours to complete their journey. Their role will be to clear the strait of any small craft, support the air strike as they are needed, and secure Site02 once the PLAN forces have been eliminated. Once the attack is successful, additional surface warfare ships may be ordered into the area to blockade the Jerome Channel and threaten the Puntas Arenas supply routes via the Magdalena Channel.

«Irse a pique antes que rendir el pabellón!«

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 6, 2024

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Technical check: do we need specific versions/updates for

- DCS openbeta
- SRS
- Mod packs?

And:

Would, perhaps during the game briefing, the game master(s) tell us who will radio chat with whom (as in, flights XZY talk to ABM, and so forth)?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

All flights can expect to check in with the ABM (Condor) and I will hand strikers off to Wrath and Davin (callsigns tbd).

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Right then. I've been promoted to section leader of the Royal Navy SBS attachment sent to the Falklands. Operation Lancet is commencing shortly and I've drawn out a preliminary plan of attack.

Objective
1. Destroy the PLAN ships moored in the Choiseul Sound
2. Sanitize the town of Goose Green

Execution
If we insert by Boca House we would have relatively good cover on the way to other side of the isthmus. At Observe we should check out the airfield and make sure its clear. Also watch the 1 road going through - its likely a main supply line. If airfield is clear, then Zulu takes up position west northwest of Goose Green and waits for X-Ray to plant explosives on the ships. While Zulu holds, X-Ray hits the coast and follows it to that .7 on the map. The shore is steep and should provide defilade cover. Based on the intel pics from up thread the ships are likely on the north side of the point and only 3 are seen in the picture. If that intel is current then either or both team(s) from X-Ray should go out and deploy explosives. Set timers for enough time to make it back to shore and get to House A. House A is a 2 story with a good sightline into Goose Green. If only 1 team from X-Ray does boats then the other should hang out here. Once explosives are deployed, Zulu starts moving towards House B. Ideally I'd like to get the town assault started just as the boats explode.

House B is important: It has a direct sight line down the entire town of Goose Green from the second story. The factory south of it provides an even better overwatch position on the roof but would be more exposed. Once Zulu is at House B then X-Ray should start clearing the town, hopefully with Zulu providing covering fire and moving south as X-Ray progresses through the town. We should save an explosive for the SAM radar at the end of the point as well.

Any questions, Chaps?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Springfield Flight - Fuerza Aérea Ecuatoriana - 2112 Combat Squadron - Mirage F1
We are currently a two-ship, but if this mission interests you, please speak up.

Good afternoon, gentlegoons. This is your flight lead, R. Angel Banderas C., son of acclaimed and blooded FAE pilot Raúl Banderas D., who also flew the Mirage F1. We have been asked to destroy a bridge to disrupt enemy troop movements. Expect friendly and hostile ground units near the target.

CAP may be stretched thin. In order to ensure success for other's tasks as well as our own, we need to be aware of and respond to hostile air.

Panther 2 (two-ship F-16) is tasked with destroying the other bridge to the south. Uzi 1&2 (four-ship F-5) is tasked with finding and destroying supply convoy(s). Competence is unquestioned, however no plan survives contact with the enemy. Be prepared to coordinate with these flights to spot/respond to threats and deploy extra ordnance.

Flight Plan

Target

Sat. Image of our target (north) in relation to Panther 2's (south)

Loadout
2x R550 Magic 2 IR AAM
2x S530F Semi-active Radar AAM
6x 400kg bombs (player's choice on low-drag/high-drag)

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Uzi 1-1 preparing for battle by bombing local industry and farmers.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
A postcard was delivered to Fuerza Aérea Ecuatoriana - 2112 Combat Squadron

In line with this campaign's conservative-fever-dream theme.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Panther 2

F-16 - 2 Ship
Lead - Yooper
Wingman - TastyShrimp

TASK - Destroy bridge WEKUFE on the Rio Oscar.
FLIGHT LENGTH - ~400 nm
LOADOUT - MK84's (TBD Fuel Tanks)
El Calafate Air Base - TACAN 87X

Launch from El Calafate and check in with CONDOR on 261.00. Once directed, contact WATER BUFFALO on 263.00. At IP 1 descend to 6,000 ft or below lowest cloud level. CCIP onto target WEKUFE. Pull right to OutPoint. Check in with CONDOR for A2A tasking and/or RTB to El Calafate. We will use very visible landmarks as visual aids to guide us onto target, IP at the bay near Cerro Sombrero with the out being the big peninsula to the east.

Air Threat - J-7's. We will be big and fat until we drop the MK82's so we'll listen very attentively for CAP status.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 13, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Gotta post this image made by BigSoda:

It is too good. Join the Argentine Navy, come fly the A-4, ask more in Discord.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Do TARCAP birds want to stay on 261 for CAP or get shunted to 262 so they can better coordinate with their strikers?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
WE START ARMA IN LESS THAN ONE HOUR!
Get into discord if you want to spectate, our tie-in operation will soon hit land.

HMS Agincourt has passed San Carlos water, inbound towards Goose Green. The SBS team is getting ready.

In the dead of night on 14 Feb 2010, the HMS Agincourt surfaces, and Task Force 223 makes their move.

OPERATION LANCET

OVERVIEW
The PLA Navy is using the Falklands as its primary hub of sealift operations to sustain combat in the South Atlantic. However, the small capacity of Port Arthur has bottlenecked the transfer of goods so ships are docked in temporary ports across the eastern coast.
The Choiseul Sound is currently holding transport ships belonging to the 6th Sustainment Task Group, who have deployed their own Marine Forces to garrison the isthmus surrounding Goose Green and Darwin.
This presents a unique opportunity. Since the Group is both far from other ground elements and from other naval elements, a commando team could sneak in and damage the vulnerable parked ships.

GAMEPLAN
Squadron X-RAY of the Royal Navy SBS will infiltrate the Goose Green area by boat and sabotage the transport ships stationed there.
Marines from the 1st Assault Group will also deploy to provide fire support as needed.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Ascot 1
4x C130J Super Hercules

Cargo:
3x 20k lb Cargo Containers per aircraft, Minimum 12 Containers delivered

Task:
Deliver critical supplies for the Argentinian artillery units in combat in the AO, to the airfield at Franco Bianco. 12 containers worth of supplies will allow 3 days of operations at full capacity.
Notes: Panther 1 will be escorting Ascot 1

Weather:
Altimeter 29.41 Winds are 075 for 10. Scattered clouds at 9000. Temp 11 Celcius
Transition Alt: 7000'

Radio:
ATC 260.000 AM Tower
ABM 261.000 AM Condor

Interflight 128.500 AM
Panther 1 137.000 AM

Flight Plan:

Reference points:
0: Rio Gallegos Airfield, WP1, S 51°36.531 W 069°18.736 RWY 07 (076), Tarmac, 11700', Alt 51
1: Climb path end
2: Punta Progresso Docks, WP2, S 52°29.217 W 069°28.480
3: Franco Bianco Airfield, WP3, S 52°44.197 W 069°20.098 RWY 07 (077) Grass, 5300', Alt 105' MSL

Depart Rio Gallegos and climb at best speed (~170 KIAS) to 5000' MSL.
Once climb is complete, or on ATC/ABM direction, turn to WP2 and proceed at 250 KIAS.
Upon reaching WP 2, descend to 1000' MSL and proceed direct to WP 3.
Land using runway 07 and offload near buildings on north side of runway 07 at east end.

Expected flight time: ~20 minutes

Once offload is complete, if time is remaining, return to WP1 directly and load an additional 3 containers per aircraft, and repeat delivery to Franco Bianco

ABM notes:
Although extremely rugged, our Hercules aircraft are slow, with a cruise of about 250 kias. Navigation is via GPS/INU only, requiring coordinates in DD MM.MMM format. We are capable of rough field landings and takeoffs, with only 3000' of runway required if the aircraft is using maximum performance. Defensive systems are RWR with the ability to dispense chaff and flares.

Radio changes will require a period of stable flight if only crewed by the pilot, as they are currently integrated through the FMC, and require a period of time with focus inside the cockpit to change

BlueNexa
Sep 28, 2023
Posted on behalf of CarefulLilCassie, Zulu team lead

Zulu Section Leader AAR:

1) What was supposed to happen,
Zulu team was to set up overwatch positions and provide covering fire for X11 and X12.

2) What was the reality,
Zulu team set up overwatch positions and provided west-side scouting for X11 and X12.

3) What went well,
Team coordination was exceptional and an effective base of fire was established.

4) What did not go well,
As a section leader, I gave poor instructions and planning, which created delays in Zulu team's schedule.

5) what should be changed for next time
More efficient usage of time by section leader Cassie, as well as better pacing and a more cohesive plan given by her.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

For tomorrow's DCS mission, and for the Air Battle Managers, latest intel says this:

Red Air Force:

PLAAF Ushuia airport
1st PLAAF Squadron MiG-21
4th PLAAF Squadron, Il-76 (flying between this and Mount Pleasant for logistics)

Mount Pleasant Airport:
2nd PLAAF Squadron, MiG-21
3rd PLAAF Squadron, J-11 x2

Rio Grande Airport
5th PLAAF Squadron MiG-21

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 14, 2023

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Zulu Team - Autorifleman

Communications frustrations aside, mission was successful, no man left behind. We were able to remain undetected on ingress. There were some close calls. No friendly fire.

- Select media from various members -

Mission start:

Ship destruction:

Zulu engaging a Mi-8 dropping off a squad:

:siren: On egress I was able to pull a paper map and GPS from a downed PLA officer. Hopefully there is some usefull intelligence on these. :siren:

Final count (I think all the deaths were from Jae fragging people upon returning to the submarine):

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 14, 2023

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vahakyla posted:

For tomorrow's DCS mission, and for the Air Battle Managers, latest intel says this:

Red Air Force:

PLAAF Ushuia airport
1st PLAAF Squadron MiG-21
4th PLAAF Squadron, Il-76 (flying between this and Mount Pleasant for logistics)

Mount Pleasant Airport:
2nd PLAAF Squadron, MiG-21
3rd PLAAF Squadron, J-11 x2

Rio Grande Airport
5th PLAAF Squadron MiG-21

Springfield flight, do NOT tempt fate by intercepting Il-76.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

XRAY - BLUE Team

This was my first ARMA mission ever, so thanks to everyone for helping me get rolling. Especially with questions like "how do I climb the fence".

1) what was supposed to happen,

We were supposed to move under cover into the city while RED team destroyed some boats. Then we would clear the city, blow up a SAM, and exfil.

2) what was the reality,

We moved to the city, encountered a hostile squad at a checkpoint at about 40m. We prosecuted the squad, advanced into a house, and used this as a firebase. We remained here for several minutes and then began advancing into Goose Green. CO directed us to clear in sections. Defilade fire from ZULU made this easier and we saw little contact clearing the city. Once at the SAM site we planted explosives. A pair of guards at the radar site was eliminated and then we began to move away. Our Demo Specialist and marksman "acquired" MANPAD's and attempted to fire on an MI-8 and unfortunately missed. The MI8 was dealt with by ZULU.

During exfil we occupied a position on a crashed plane and engaged a truck load of hostile reinforcements while RED flanked the position. We took harassing mortar fire during the march to the boats but suffered no losses.

3) what went well,

Targets were engaged well, and buildings cleared properly.

4) what did not go well, and

We were surprised by the team at the hostile checkpoint and it could have gone very badly for us.

5) what should be changed for next time

We should focus on all potential hostile defensive positions, not just the ones where we see enemies milling about. I was using the binos on the SAM radar area, and never looked at the very close positions. Luckily for us the Chinese PVT is as inattentive as our own. We did little contact with ZULU and should have done more to mutually support each other.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Big "Steak" Soda
X-Ray 1-1, RED Team, Command AAR

What was supposed to happen
Overall mission objectives were:
Plant explosives on 1 PLAN ship anchored in the Choiseul Sound.
Clear the town of Goose Green of any hostiles.

Command objectives were:
RED team was to plant the explosives on the ships.
BLUE team was to sweep through Goose Green and clear it of hostiles.
ZULU was to provide fire support for BLUE team.

What really happened
All teams completed their objectives. Targets of opportunity were also destroyed, however doing so left us in the AO too long which allowed PLAN forces to direct artillery fire on our position.

What went well
RED team's objective was to destroy 1 ship. We planted explosives on all 6 ships anchored in the Sound. RED also destroyed 2 stationary light armor pieces. BLUE team destroyed the SAM radar target of opportunity. ZULU locked down Goose Green after taking positions in an advantageous building that was not on our intel maps. This allowed ZULU to destroy some PLAN air assets. ZULU also procured a map and GPS device from the enemy. Zero deaths (or 1 death if a disconnects counts).

What did not go well
There were more ships in the sound than the 3 that our intel suggested. I thought I could get away with splitting X-Ray's duties but in doing so I left BLUE team high and dry when they encountered the checkpoint referenced in Yooper's AAR. As a result BLUE sustained 2 injuries in taking the checkpoint. This also directly lead to our long loiter time in the AO which saw an increasingly intense response from a nearby PLAN garrison.

What should be changed for next time
Hindsight 20/20 and all but I would have planned this operation differently. ZULU should have been tasked with taking House A, House B and sanitizing the town by themselves with X-Ray providing support to them. ZULU lead suggested a version of this plan and I should have kept it as a backup. BLUE should have also been retasked to dive with RED to expedite the demolition deployment.

In the future I should plan for contingencies better. My plan relied on many assumptions. These assumptions lead to stretching X-Ray too thin and put them at a real risk of a squad wipe. And I should have adapted my orders on the ground when I saw these issues arise. Fog of war is real and better communication on my part would have helped mitigate that confusion.

I agree with Yooper in that we should pick out likely hostile hotspots in planning. I was too focused on micromanaging team routes in planning and execution. I should have given each team a couple objectives and "not sweat the small stuff", as it were.
-------------------
Overall I am extremely happy with the outcome of this operation. We achieved all of our objectives as well as some targets of opportunity. Well done everyone.

Intel referenced from these photos:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:frogsiren:

We are three hours exactly from start time of the big air operation in DCS.
Be early in Discord.

If you want to spectate or spitball even if you don't play the game, you can also do that in Discord. There's channels to spectate in. Someone might post some Stream links here too.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Logistics for ABMs/comms. Everyone will take off and check in with Condor on 261. Around 50 nautical miles from Bulls (or target if it makes more sense), Panther 2, Ford 1, Springfield 1, Pontiacs 1 and 2, Uzi 1, Chevy 1, and Ford 2 will be handed to Buzzard on 262. Once targets are prosecuted, and once Buzzard has nothing left for units on 262, they can RTB on that channel. Ascot 1 (for better SA), Venom 1, Panther 1, and Colt 1 will stay on 261 for control.

gently caress it. We'll do it live.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 14, 2023

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Live stream from Springfield1-1 (Mirage F1 Bridge Strike)
https://www.twitch.tv/palicgofueniczekt

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Elendil004 posted:

gently caress it. We'll do it live.

Famous last words / server motto

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Anyone streaming the Hercs?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Very quick and dirty game master after action report.
Air Force losses were significant, I'll detail total lost airplanes later. Also don't have on hand for how many PLAAF planes were destroyed and no idea.

On major objectives we have:

---------

Franco Bianco Airport Artillery Logistics and Comms supply task:
Succeeded.

Ascot 1 did two trips, 8x C-130 cargo loads delivered. This means the Argentine artillery and ground troops retain supplies. The side aspect of this was that the RORO-ferry also functions, which it does. It was not destroyed.

Total cargo value from quick math was 12 x 20000lbs. Which is 240,000lbs.

We said ONE human C-130 is equivalent to three flights because in real life the mission would be flown repeatedly.

So total supply value was 621,000lbs of supplies after deducting the weight of shipping containers.

---------

Destruction of the two major bridges on western side of AO

Succeeded.

Both bridges destroyed, verified by pilot battle damage assesment and by game master mode:

Southern Bridge, Panther 2 target. One major bomb hit.

Northern Bridge, Springfield 1 target, at least 4 bomb hits.

Argentine units defending at river crossings took heavy casualties, however. Luck of the draw.

-------------------

Attack on PLAGF supply convoy and base on the highway Y-65

Partial success.

Heavy losses, total of 5 F-5s were lost out of outbound 7. Significant loss, but the planes are cheap and plenty. Besides one, all pilots ejected over friendly territory. Myself as the flight lead ejected right next to an Argentine tank.

Bombs and rockets were rippled into the convoy, estimating 20-30 trucks out of up to possible 80-100 total were damaged with fire, explosions and direct hits and shrapnel. This, while it won't completely cut off the convoy or supplies, is still a significant degradation of enemy supply train supporting its attempt to cross the bridges that are now destroyed.

-------------------------

SEAD mission against SA-11 at Porvenir Airfield

Success.

The SINGLE ALONE LONELY BOI flight of Chevy 1 suppressed enemy radar site and did not let it threaten any blue airplanes. It went silent on his approach run in self-defence, then ate an ARM into its main radar, putting it out of action.

In addition Chevy 1-1 turned onto the frontline battle and destroyed a chinese HQ-7 site.

-------------

Naval Tasking to attack possible enemy LSTs in the fjord as the east-bound channel of Magellan Strait:

Total success.

A-4s departing from ARA Veinticinco de Mayo achieved deafening victories.

Four PLAN LSTs on fire or sinking, unable to continue, with likely immense casualties to landing troops inside. One or two LSTs remain with light damage.
One unknown type enemy corvette destroyed by bombs.

Chilean corvette CNS Aspirante Isaza destroyed two small PLAN coastal patrol vessels taking no damage.
This corvette has now scouted the fjord for about 55 nm ahead of the main fleet. It also came to a stop where one A-4 was shot down so safe to assume the pilot was plucked out of water by friendly ship.

CNS Aspirante Isanza used its lifeboats to ferry PLAN survivors to nearby shore.

-------------------------------------

Here's some random screenshots I took:

Uzi 1 flight taxing past Ascot 1:

Ascot 1 and its escort Panther 1 returning.

A-4s returning to carrier:

More detailed posts coming soon about airwar side but fighters are meant to support ground war which is what matters.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 15, 2023

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Panther 2 AAR

Yooper & TastyShrimp

We loaded up al El Calafate with 2 MK84's and 2 bags of fuel. There was a brief pause while we waited on tech issues but got in the air no issue.

We checked in with Condor who passed us to Buzzard. Once we neared our IP I noticed my pipper was 70 degrees off and my steerpoint was about 30nm away from where it should be. TastyShrimp continued to target (his STPT was fine) and he managed to knock out the bridge with a single well placed MK84. He took a single IGLA and lost radios but RTB'd and landed beautifully. I visually identified the target area but came at it from the hostile side and was knocked out by a double IGLA.

The mission was accomplished, bridge knocked out.

Note TastyShrimps' battle damage and the swiss cheesiness of his wings. Some top notch piloting to get himself back! I must have screwed up something during startup and royally borked the INS. I've not been able to replicate it locally so not sure exactly what happened.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Abm debrief

We were dealing with an insanely degraded picture. No tracks were identified except some players. LotATC remains bugged and unable filter human/no-human contacts. LotATC unable to classify targets. LotATC freezes the properties window and can't see properties of targets. Basically anything more than two ships of mig 21s would have completely overwhelemed us. The main fix is to change the server profile from "Goons" back to whatever we used to use so at least we can see what things are. That would solve the biggest problem.

We also had no intel on waypoints, targets, etc. All we had was a big red line that gets in the way because it's so thick. Yooper used to make a json we could drop into LotATC with info on it, which I can do but someone needs to feed me the information. Or someone else can, but I don't want to just give problems without solutions.

CAP did extremely well being vectored onto unknown contacts repeatedly with zero image on ground picture.

Edit: A lack of a briefing hurt getting folks into the mission. Nobody told the ABMs we were supposed to join people in, nobody told us we were splitting into channels, etc.

Edit 2: the signup briefing page should be more specific (or I should be allowed to edit it). Was very difficult to know who was tarcap for who, who was escorting ascot, etc. We figured it out, it all worked out but we gotta do better.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 15, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yooper posted:

Note TastyShrimps' battle damage and the swiss cheesiness of his wings.

That'll buff out.

I watched the Springfield stream on Twitch, that was fun. Some minor SAM-related issues, but no losses and one very blown up bridge.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Commanders. This is a brief tutorial on making map layers in LotATC.

Open up LotATC, get on the map you need to edit, and open the Draw tab. Click Edit Drawing. Note, you'll want to leave this unchecked unless you are editing the map, otherwise you will end up dragging the graphics and it's annoying.

Each layer should contain relevant stuff. Don't stick everything on one layer. Within each layer is the stuff you draw.

For example we have a SAM layer with an icon and a threat ring.

This has a basic CAP layer with an orbit and a corridor. The A2G layer has a few target points. Once you hand this off to you team then Condor can filter out, or reduce the opacity, of less critical stuff. Same with Buzzard for the A2A portions. It gives them the flexibility to do as they please.

To add more, be sure you have the Layer selected you want then Right Click where you want to draw.

If you add an icon (very useful!) you can fine tune the coordinates as well as the iconography.

To save it all just click the disc icon and select "All Visible Layers". Share the ENV file, and the others will open it using the File Folder icon but only if Edit Drawing is selected.

Some tips, less is more. Paint in broad strokes, only show the essentials. Your map should give the users concise information without them having to open more files. Have some intel? Drop a pin and add some text about MIG-21's scramble here. But don't drop 97 pins for every infantry unit, just draw a rectangle and say "here be infantry". You can't guide your strikers any better than that anyhow.

Think of task saturation, your ABM's will get overwhelmed about the same time your pilots do. Don't make any digest any more than they need to. PM me here on Discord if you need more info.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Ascot 1 AAR

The mission was to deliver 10' intermodal shipping containers with critical parts for the artillery units nearby to Franco Bianco. 36 containers were to be delivered, totaling 282.25 metric tons of equipment.

Over 3 sorties today, the equipment was delivered without incident. A single mig 21 was able to get into engagement range, and was destroyed by CAP before getting a shot off. There were no concerns with landing at the grass strip at Franco Bianco, with offload proceeding smoothly and departure from the field possible without back taxing to get a headwind.

Ascot 1 didn't have any mechanical issues this sortie, and stayed within visual range during all phases of flight, with good communication during approach and landing at both fields.

Issues still occur with the autopilot systems, with departures from altitude and heading occurring throughout the flight. Also, although the flight stayed within visual range, formations could have been much tighter, allowing mutual support incase of enemy fire. Finally, coordination with escort flights should be worked out in greater detail, with Panther 1 trailing Ascot 1 by 20nm for most of the ingress, and the communications plan for the two flights established only hours from takeoff with the prompting of the ABM.

For the next mission, Ascot should have only the leading member using nav mode, with the trailing members using altitude hold only. Also, better communication of objectives and waypoints should be communicated to the ABM team to allow them to assist.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

General del Aire Carlos,

The first day of the counter-offensive is over. The CSAD suffered significant, but not crippling, air losses. You chose to defend the eastern pressure zone, which was the northern tip of Tierra del Fuego. As with the posted game master analysis, that's a success. The line holds. I'm sure you'll soon get more after action reports from your sub-ordinates. You have to put your mind simultaneously towards planning the next operation. That will likely be morning of 17th, since you won't be able to amass such large air operation the very next day. Regular BARCAP will be flown by AI during the next 24h off-game so don't worry about it, as will ship patrols.

Updates:

The cargo ship Sierra carrying the Astros II delivery from Brazil has passed Puerto Deseado. It's carrying:

6 AV-LMU launchers
2 AV-RMD ammunition supply vehicles
1 AV-VCC command vehicle
1 AV-UCF fire control vehicle
1 AV-VBA maintenance vehicle
1 AV-CBO radar vehicle

Projected arrival: now early morning of 17th February.

You currently have some dilemmas:

FIRST DILEMMA:
The 9th Mechanized Infantry Brigade "Comodoro Rivadavia" finished mobilization last night and departed Comodor Rivadavia on a road march with heavy equipment transporters. It is currently passing the town of El Salado on highway 3. It is is missing ammo, but is able to travel some 300 miles on roads still before it runs out of fuel. Where should this brigade head to? Towards Tierra del Fuego, or Punta Arenas AO? Or stay in reserve. In addition, where do you intend to supply it with ammunition before combat, and how? What about fuel?

SECOND DILEMMA:

The Chilean president, Michelle Bachelet, has a son, Juan Antonio. The President's son is the current Mayor-in-Exile of Punta Arenas, and also a member of the Legislative Branch. He requested a meeting with you and informed that since you are a Peruvian fighting on Chilean soil, you have to honor Chilean requests. Mr. Antonio states that he wants Punta Arenas to be your next goal both publicly and planning-wise to not cause loss of face for him. He makes it clear that he is demanding you prioritize re-capture of Punta Arenas, and that if you agree to do so, he will be able to secure foreign support. He informs you that you have a few hours to think about and he expects your answer.

THIRD DILEMMA:

In real world timewise, you have 48 hours, until this time on monday two days from now, to decide where your next Area of Operations for the DCS gameday will be, and as such, where the mission will focus. You likely need your Army and Navy and Air Force heads to weigh in, so that's why you have this real world time. The operation will be LORETIME morning of 17th Feb, 2010. In real world it will be 21st October, 2023.

--------------------------------

Brigadier General Humberto,

Your logistics base is safe. It wasn't bombed. Neither was your RORO-Ferry nor the terminals, but it is obvious some MiGs got close! The SAMs, as requested, are deployed there and you probably saw them shoot at MiGs during the gameday. The logistics base now receives constant trucks from further north, but it does also need resupply of communications and medical equipment. Please figure out replenishing those urgently.

The Argentine Army held its line, and even initiated some pushes at Tierra del Fuego. The PLAGF lines immediately gave in along highway Y-79 as the Armored Cav and Military Intelligence recon troops prodded enemy lines. The scouts report to you that they believe they could be near a potential deeper push. Your Military Intelligence Unit reports the POWs are from PLAN Marine Infantry.

The bridges, as you requested, are destroyed. The forward supply convoy is also degraded. This side of the AO will hold for several days easily now as you dig in along the river Rio Oscar. One of the Argentine battalions, Mech Inf Rgt 24, 11th Mech BDE, suffered heavy losses, but is still operational. It got beaten during bridge defence before the F-16s bombed the bridge.

Then onto some bad news:

Another PLAGF Brigade seemingly joined combat north of Punta Arenas during the morning of the air operation. Your line got pushed back by half a mile already, and you are facing, at least, a 3-1 ratio of attackers. Situation is dire. The commander of the 4th Armored Brigade of Chilean Army reports that she believes the lines can not hold much longer.

Will they try to buy time here and face increasing casualties, or will they retreat? Situation at the front right now is hazy and the FLOT is unclear.

To make matters worse, just south of towns of Los Cisnes and Santa Maria, artillery is raining down on highway 255. Your Fires Cell reports that their counter-battery calculations indicate that only possible answer is enemy artillery near Puerta Sara.

--------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------

Admiral Sampaio,

Congratulations on the naval operation. The Chilean Fleet sortied out the A-4s who sank the PLAN LST group and one enemy corvette. In addition, your corvette CNS Aspirante Isaza sank two enemy coastal patrol vessels in the fjord, and after allowing lifeboats to be lowered from the remaining LST, sunk it. Because you happened to sortie it that way, it basically got to the site where one A-4 was lost and picked up the pilot. So your only air loss ended up having the pilot on your vessel anyway. Not the ship he departed from, but eh, close enough. CNS Aspirante Isaza detected a Type 054 deeper east in the Strait. Orders for the corvette and the main fleet?

The Argentine fleet near Rio Gallegos guarded the port entry. Nothing to report.

Brazilian fleet is undergoing refit, ready to sail on morning of 17th February. Where should it go?

Status of submarines:

CNS O'Higgins suck an enemy frigate on the suspected supply route with one torpedo. It is currently evading surface contacts.

ARA San Juan: nothing to report

Brazilian Tikuna was north of San Carlos Water when it detected an extremely quiet submarine traveling north as it used its comm mast, but lost subsequent contact.

Where do you want your P-3 patrols?
What about the submarines?

------------------------------

For the Air Combat Command Commander, General Schulz,

Your Air Forces have made you proud. The Air Operation is a success, despite some losses. The few F-16s surely sting, but other planes are much more easily replaceable.
Your dispersion plan is working in reducing congestion, but many planes landed at Rio Gallegos due to fuel emergencies.

You need F-16 parts to repair them stat.

Where do you want your Brazilian Air Force P-3 patrol?

As it stands, your dilemma at this moment is to decide if you want parts being flown from the United States to go towards either:

Option A: Getting two more F-16C models from the FACh to combat readiness by morning of 17th

Option B: Getting four more F-16A MLU models from the FACh to combat readiness by morning of 17th

These parts are right now waiting transport at El Libertador Air Base (Spanish: Base Aérea Libertador) (ICAO: SVBL) is a military airport and base for the Venezuelan Air Force. It is located in Maracay, a city in central Venezuela and the capital of the state of Aragua. They need to be flown into El Calafate.

SECOND CHOICE:

The Chilean Air Battle Managers report poor radar coverage from the E-3 patrols that do not wish to fly too close to the frontline. You have a choice to make, do you want the E-3 to fly closer to the frontline during the next operation to obtain a better picture, or to stay the current 100nm distance from the front?

You have three E-3s currently, one can be sortied out at any given time.

THIRD CHOICE:

Brazil has offered one SABER, a mobile ground controlled intercept radar that can track air targets at least 40nm away reliable. (We don't have SABER in DCS so we'll use a slightly more powerful radar that offers up to 70nm).

SABER is a truck based radar, being developed by CTEx (Army Technology Center) and produced by BRADAR, a Brazilian company part of Embraer Defense and Security group. It was introduced in 2010, and a cooler part of Brazilian indigenous weapon design. The Brazilian Air Force took control of it, so this is already in your command purview.

It's in Sao Paulo. Get it to the South, and let me know where it should be placed. It will integrate with SADL and Link 16 via bridge stations.

Besides that, you probably have to wait for your higher up to decide the Area of Operations for the next day until you can make decisions how to task planes.

-------------

Air Mobility Officer Taps,

Current situation is that Rio Gallegos required maintenance equipment as soon as possible to faciliate taking care of the extra planes that landed there, and to ensure it can keep maintaining planes there.

While your higher ups will decide where the SABER will go, as well as how the F-16 parts will be used, start planning the transport operation itself. The F-16 parts are in three sea shipping containers. Information about how to transport the SABER you will have to research yourself.

Be prepared to execute other requests from your commanders.

Also, how did those A-4 parts get to Puerto San Julian to feed the Brazilian A-4s?

Enjoy this awesome pic Big Soda made.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looks like an auspicious start to things! Go Goon Force!