Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CitizenKain posted:

I don't know if I maybe look incompetent, but its sometimes difficult to get the self checkout people to not just grab my stuff and scan it all.

drat I gotta master that look.

My latest trip I took the extra effort to put everything in my cart barcodes up to see if I could get thru any faster and I did. What a fuckin dork rear end move tho. Next time I'm just gonna be a cool guy who tosses it all in a pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

I don't know if I maybe look incompetent, but its sometimes difficult to get the self checkout people to not just grab my stuff and scan it all.

You ever see them when they're not scanning people's poo poo? They look incredibly bored. I imagine they scan everyone's stuff so they don't go insane standing there, and also so their bosses don't see them appear to be just doing nothing.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CitizenKain posted:

I've never used Costco's self checkout but I hate self checkout and now I'm turning super boomerish in refusing to use them on principle unless I have like 3 items and it MIGHT actually be faster. Every loving grocery store I go to has 1 or maybe 2 actual lanes open and 16 self checkout stations that are constantly malfunctioning. And if you have booze then someone has to come and help you out anyway so you have to wait. And if I have too many items then they won't fit on the god drat weighing counter and it's always giving me poo poo anyway. "Please place your item back on the counter." It's on there!!!!! Someone has to come over and bypass the bullshit.

It's so much worse in every way.

Just pay your loving workers you god drat parasites.

edit: :corsair: :cloud: :shrug:

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The Wal-Mart that opened near me a couple of years ago is 100% self-checkout, but that also means they were able to fit roughly 50 of them at the front, and I've had to wait on line a total of once in two years.

And I'm the type of person who generally buys ~$20-30 in groceries in a (non-Costco) trip, so I can just fit it all in one of those big reusable shopping bags.

It certainly beats waiting on line for 10 minutes while watching some idiot fumble for exact change in their purse.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Quixzlizx posted:

It certainly beats waiting on line for 10 minutes while watching some idiot fumble for exact change in their purse.

That happens at self checkouts as well. Long lines. All the time here.

I've waited 10 minutes just to get an open self checkout before. Everyone is kinda standing around together pointing at who is actually next in the lovely self-made line.

So I see the solution is to open more and more self checkouts as I've seen at my local Meijer who now has two entirely contained self checkouts on either end of the store with about 20 checkouts each and you have to walk through a little maze to get to them. And now stores are loving going insane about retail theft. Well, you might have less if you have a qualified person checking them out.

gently caress... that...

I'll wait the 10 minutes for a professional to do it and pack my bags for me since I suck at that. :colbert:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Bibliotechno Music posted:

where has all the saffron gone?!?!?

Long time passing...

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've never used Costco's self checkout but I hate self checkout and now I'm turning super boomerish in refusing to use them on principle unless I have like 3 items and it MIGHT actually be faster. Every loving grocery store I go to has 1 or maybe 2 actual lanes open and 16 self checkout stations that are constantly malfunctioning. And if you have booze then someone has to come and help you out anyway so you have to wait. And if I have too many items then they won't fit on the god drat weighing counter and it's always giving me poo poo anyway. "Please place your item back on the counter." It's on there!!!!! Someone has to come over and bypass the bullshit.

It's so much worse in every way.

Just pay your loving workers you god drat parasites.

edit: :corsair: :cloud: :shrug:

Have I got a thread for you fellow parishioner.

lots of enshitifaction itt

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My Costco has one full lane alone on the other side of all the self check out registers. It's never got a line, is directly next to the empty box pile, and leads directly to the managers desk and the food court kiosks. It's like a secret just for me

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That happens at self checkouts as well. Long lines. All the time here.

I've waited 10 minutes just to get an open self checkout before. Everyone is kinda standing around together pointing at who is actually next in the lovely self-made line.

So I see the solution is to open more and more self checkouts as I've seen at my local Meijer who now has two entirely contained self checkouts on either end of the store with about 20 checkouts each and you have to walk through a little maze to get to them. And now stores are loving going insane about retail theft. Well, you might have less if you have a qualified person checking them out.

gently caress... that...

I'll wait the 10 minutes for a professional to do it and pack my bags for me since I suck at that. :colbert:

God me too. There's always a problem, something gets hosed up and doesn't work. Last time it happened edibles were just kicking in and I swore I'd never self checkout again.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

StormDrain posted:

drat I gotta master that look.

My latest trip I took the extra effort to put everything in my cart barcodes up to see if I could get thru any faster and I did. What a fuckin dork rear end move tho. Next time I'm just gonna be a cool guy who tosses it all in a pile.

if you ain't speedmaxxing your checkout, how are you supposed to make the time to squeeze in getting a dog from the food court on your way out?

not like one's doing anything while waiting in line anyhow.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

My problem with the self checkout is they don’t trust the customers to use the scanner gun. I could check out in 30 seconds if I had the gun.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Yo quick fyi, the giant jars of flame roasted 505 green chilis are $4.97 (on clearance) at our local Seattle-area Costco. Could be worth looking- that poo poo is amazing. That is 1.13 kilos (40 oz) of chilis for $4.97

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
hell yeah 40oz to freedom

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Taima posted:

Yo quick fyi, the giant jars of flame roasted 505 green chilis are $4.97 (on clearance) at our local Seattle-area Costco. Could be worth looking- that poo poo is amazing. That is 1.13 kilos (40 oz) of chilis for $4.97

Well that explains why it's sold out at my church. The .97 doesn't mean it's being discontinued, does it?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CaptainCrunch posted:

Well that explains why it's sold out at my church. The .97 doesn't mean it's being discontinued, does it?

They're replacing it with a 32oz version. Source: it came to me in a dream.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Still haven't spotted the xiaolong bao in our costco sadly, but I did just get a 4 lb bag of chick-fil-a alike nuggets.

I'd heard that veggie tempura might have been in the frozen section but that was another letdown in terms of what was available.

Everything else was part of our standard 'co fare, with a few specials added in for good measure.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
I am saddened that Mexican Costco does not carry Jongga (the one with two Gs) kimchi. I liked it and i thank the costco thread for introducing it to me

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Did Costco really get rid of the jumbo Better than Bouillon jars? Any chance it’s seasonal? The regular little jars just go so fast when you’re making soup and stuff

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I picked up a huge jar of BtB two weeks ago, but it was on an endcap and I didn't check whether it was coming or going

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

StormDrain posted:

They're replacing it with a 32oz version. Source: it came to me in a dream.

Let me guess, smaller, but somehow also more $ per ounce. Shrinkflation, hurray.

Anne Whateley posted:

Did Costco really get rid of the jumbo Better than Bouillon jars? Any chance it’s seasonal? The regular little jars just go so fast when you’re making soup and stuff

I'm gonna be that guy for a second, sorry, but if you're buying rotisserie chickens with any frequency, that is basically a free pot of chicken stock. Well, almost free, you put in some random cheap vegetables like onion, garlic, carrots... but still.

A lot of people think I'm a good cook, for some reason, but one of the main secrets is that I use homemade chicken stock. It is a total game changer. It's easy no matter what (mostly hands off time on the stove top while you live your life) but it's even easier and better if you have an Instant Pot or are willing to use any kind of pressure cooker. There's something about pressure cookers that extract the most goodness, but a regular pot is totally fine.

For example I made homemade shrimp gyoza last night, threw in some homemade chicken stock and some corn starch to balance it out. Everyone loved it. And that's not even getting into making, like, chicken noodle soup or something, which is almost a whole different, wildly better, dish than using store bought stock.

Don't get me wrong though I used to buy the better than bullion and it's definitely better than cubes. The thing is, the rotisserie chicken is such a basic part of shopping economically at Costco that most people just have the carcasses lying around and honestly often times just throw that poo poo away, which is criminal.

The fact that you can get a rotisserie chicken for $5 and make an entire pot of stock out of the leftovers is unreal, even if homemade stock wasn't the best thing ever.

Taima fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 15, 2023

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Taima posted:

but it's even easier and better if you have an Instant Pot or are willing to use any kind of pressure cooker. There's something about pressure cookers that extract the most goodness, but a regular pot is totally fine.

Are there any things you have to do differently to pressure cook it, I've been doing it the slow way all this time.....

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Taima posted:

Let me guess, smaller, but somehow also more $ per ounce. Shrinkflation, hurray.

I'm gonna be that guy for a second, sorry, but if you're buying rotisserie chickens with any frequency, that is basically a free pot of chicken stock. Well, almost free, you put in some random cheap vegetables like onion, garlic, carrots... but still.

A lot of people think I'm a good cook, for some reason, but one of the main secrets is that I use homemade chicken stock. It is a total game changer. It's easy no matter what (mostly hands off time on the stove top while you live your life) but it's even easier and better if you have an Instant Pot or are willing to use any kind of pressure cooker. There's something about pressure cookers that extract the most goodness, but a regular pot is totally fine.

For example I made homemade shrimp gyoza last night, threw in some homemade chicken stock and some corn starch to balance it out. Everyone loved it. And that's not even getting into making, like, chicken noodle soup or something, which is almost a whole different, wildly better, dish than using store bought stock.

Don't get me wrong though I used to buy the better than bullion and it's definitely better than cubes. The thing is, the rotisserie chicken is such a basic part of shopping economically at Costco that most people just have the carcasses lying around and honestly often times just throw that poo poo away, which is criminal.

The fact that you can get a rotisserie chicken for $5 and make an entire pot of stock out of the leftovers is unreal, even if homemade stock wasn't the best thing ever.

Cool how do you make leftover beef or vegetable stock out of a rotisserie chicken though?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Beef stock is just hotdog water. Duh

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Soul Dentist posted:

Cool how do you make leftover beef or vegetable stock out of a rotisserie chicken though?

You make vegetable stock out of a rotisserie chicken by making chicken stock and leaving out the chicken.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Wayne Knight posted:

Din Tai Fung’s sautéed garlic green beans 🤤🤤🤤
Din Tai Fung ANYTHING! I dream of the cucumber.

But like the business Costco it’s not near me :-(.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Gonna go today, hopefully they have cat litter back in stock.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

norp posted:

Are there any things you have to do differently to pressure cook it, I've been doing it the slow way all this time.....

no it's just the pressure is multiplicative with the temperature so its like 30-60 mins with everything in there to get the same result

Assuming with stock you don't care if things are cooked to mush since you are straining it out

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

norp posted:

don’t vent the pressure. you’ll lose aromatics. gotta let it drop the slow way, under seal

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Taima posted:

I'm gonna be that guy for a second, sorry, but if you're buying rotisserie chickens with any frequency,
I’m not, I’m actually a big sneak. I don’t have a Costco membership because there are no Costcos around here, but I can go a couple times a year when I’m visiting family for holidays, or I can occasionally ask them to pick up something for me.

I do keep the bones and make stock when I roast chickens, but I go through it faster than that this time of year. Also the beef BtB as Soul Dentist said.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Soul Dentist posted:

very carefully

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Taima posted:

This is all true. But my homemade stock goes into quart containers in the freezer for things like soup, risotto, etc. It’s a hassle to thaw that much and sometimes you just want to add a little extra oomph to a dish.* A spoonful of BtB is an easy way to add some salt, MSG, and flavor to something I’m cooking.

*I used to reduce homemade stock to demiglace that I could easily portion out, but that’s a serious time commitment.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

SirPablo posted:

Gonna go today, hopefully they have cat litter back in stock.

I went yesterday and got some. I live nearby so I decided to come back for it and the pallet display was down pretty significantly in a couple of hours.
Good luck

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Zombie Dachshund posted:

*I used to reduce homemade stock to demiglace that I could easily portion out, but that’s a serious time commitment.

How long does this take? There was a northern exposure episode where Adam the chef discussed it in mythical terms and I was always curious lol

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Zombie Dachshund posted:

This is all true. But my homemade stock goes into quart containers in the freezer for things like soup, risotto, etc. It’s a hassle to thaw that much and sometimes you just want to add a little extra oomph to a dish.* A spoonful of BtB is an easy way to add some salt, MSG, and flavor to something I’m cooking.

Next time fill an ice cube tray or two before filling the quart. Easily accessed stock cubes any time you need

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

this is a bovil household and we keep it beefy. kids all fat as pigs

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
got myself a new tooth brush from costco, the oral b io 6.

it was £115 on the site but when we went in, it was £107 (inc vat)

thank you costco this is a great tooth brush!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I’m going to go to Costco today

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Wayne Knight posted:

I’m going to go to Costco today

good luck

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

namlosh posted:

How long does this take? There was a northern exposure episode where Adam the chef discussed it in mythical terms and I was always curious lol

It's one of those things where the more time invested, the better it comes out. It can be done in 8 hours but can take up to 24 or more for a next level demi glace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Costco food court was being remodeled, and they only had hotdogs and cans of soda. : (