Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Here's to 2024 being a complete write-off! :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Willo567 posted:

drat, how long is it going to take for the AMPTP to get their heads out of their asses and actually offer a fair deal? Did the bill Newsom vetoed play a part in the talks breaking down again?

You betcha.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Zesty posted:

You betcha.

I don’t know if I buy that. He hadn’t signed the bill yet when the writers got their deal and I gotta presume they were in contact with him since they’ve all donated to California politicians.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Double post, sorry.

Here’s what I don’t get: so the studios are leaking to the trades again and it’s the same tactic of “we gave them a great counter but they are so unreasonable” they did with the WGA. But that tactic failed miserably. If it failed miserably against a guild like WGA that has way less popular public faces and way less leverage than SAG, why in the world do they think this tactic will work this time?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I was hoping the AMPTP would deal just to get this over with, but this was always the far more likely scenario. Now that the writers are back to work, the studios know that they have AT LEAST a month before any scripts will be ready to shoot. Not at all surprising that they're choosing to use that time to stall and maybe get some more concessions from the union.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My post friends were busy back at work doing schedules for the presumed end of the strike. LOL now they have to throw all that work out the window, but at least they are getting paid. It's amazing how much time and energy in this town is spent on busywork, writing up notes on a script that will never get made or charting out schedules for projects not yet greenlit.

The studios had a handful of projects in the can already, but had to shut down post-production due to the writers strike. Once the strike was over, they could get showrunners & writer/directors back in the editing rooms so that bought them some time to complete stuff already filmed.

Nothing was going to start production anyway, with the Thanksgiving and 2-week Christmas/New Years vacations coming up. So it's infuriating but not surprising the studios are wasting everyones time, trying to starve the actors out. Jokes on them, actors are used to being poor and barely scraping by!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

VorpalBunny posted:

Nothing was going to start production anyway, with the Thanksgiving and 2-week Christmas/New Years vacations coming up. So it's infuriating but not surprising the studios are wasting everyones time, trying to starve the actors out. Jokes on them, actors are used to being poor and barely scraping by!
I wonder if this is part of it....the studios don't understand that they have hosed over the actors/writers for so long that they are used to it and they can't be broken because they have nothing to lose

It's just the studios shooting themselves in the foot at this point. It wouldn't cost them much of anything to just accept SAG's demands but they have to do this out of 'principle' I guess.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder if this is part of it....the studios don't understand that they have hosed over the actors/writers for so long that they are used to it and they can't be broken because they have nothing to lose

It's just the studios shooting themselves in the foot at this point. It wouldn't cost them much of anything to just accept SAG's demands but they have to do this out of 'principle' I guess.

I mean I get why the studios feel the need to look out for the studios, but they have no leg to stand on in these talks. It’s not principle, it’s hubris.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think somebody posted a tweet earlier in the thread from an actor pointing out that (at that time at least) the strike had lasted less time that it took them to get their payment for the last work they had done on a production. It literally is a situation of "they've made us so poor and been so stingy about actually paying us for work that we've figured out how to survive for months at a time without money coming in."

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The qualities that self select for C level executives are mutually exclusive to good faith bargaining.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

fart blood posted:

Here’s what I don’t get: so the studios are leaking to the trades again and it’s the same tactic of “we gave them a great counter but they are so unreasonable” they did with the WGA. But that tactic failed miserably. If it failed miserably against a guild like WGA that has way less popular public faces and way less leverage than SAG, why in the world do they think this tactic will work this time?

The only thing I can think of is that they think SAG members can be starved out more easily. 86% of members don’t even earn the $27k needed to qualify for heath care.

Also, CEOs are petulant children.

I have to wonder if there’s going to be a directional shift in how the AMPTP operates. Carol Lombardini’s tactics are no longer working, and the companies themselves are no longer aligned in their business models.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Argyle posted:

The only thing I can think of is that they think SAG members can be starved out more easily. 86% of members don’t even earn the $27k needed to qualify for heath care.

Also, CEOs are petulant children.

I have to wonder if there’s going to be a directional shift in how the AMPTP operates. Carol Lombardini’s tactics are no longer working, and the companies themselves are no longer aligned in their business models.

It’s pure hubris on the studio’s part because they think the other guilds and unions will put pressure on SAG as the last holdouts but it’s not working at all. It’s a complete waste of everyone’s time and they learned nothing from the WGA strike.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Does Newsom think it's wise to piss off so many extremely wealthy, well-connected, politically-minded movie stars with this poo poo?

Holy poo poo, what a bumblefuck.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I honestly wonder if losing the fight with the WGA is what’s making them dig in their heels now. Just pure corncobbing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wonder if the SAG conditions have more at stake than the WGA ones. I always assumed writing was a very small part of a production’s cost.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The studios want to be able to hire nobodies and deep fake stars faces on them forever and without limit. That's why they're fighting SAG. Because of digital necromancy.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Yes, writing is generally 2-3% of a feature film production budget. WGA minimum for a screenplay draft is approx. $160k for a >$5m budget movie. Let's say you (or more likely a combination for multiple writers) deliver five official drafts, which is around the norm for a feature film that actually makes it to production (most don't). That comes to around $800k total if paid at minimums, which out of a $25m production budget is 3.2%. Obviously big name screenwriters can negotiate for higher than minimum compensation, but the overall majority of screenwriters work at minimums.

Television is more complicated because do you include showrunner compensation as writing costs? If you just consider staffing costs then the weekly minimum for a writer producer is about $8k per week, plus approx. $35k per script (for a one hour show). So a room of six writers working for fourteen weeks on an eight episode Netflix show would total around $1m-$1.2m depending on the exact level (script editor, producer, executive producer etc) of each writer on the show.

Obviously all the above is upfront costs and doesn't take into account residuals.

Above the line actor total cost will generally be something like 30-40%, though that obviously varies a lot project to project. It's low to mid budget productions that actually pay the most proportionally to their cast, because casting Penelope Cruz and Bradley Cooper in your talky drama about a broken marriage is how you sell the film to distributors and make your money back. A low budget contemporary drama with A-listers may be paying 60%+ of it's production budget to the two leads, while a big budget special effects film with a known but not megastar cast may pay a lot less percentage wise.

This is all for above the line talent, you also have background artist costs which can add up quickly if you have a lot of crowd scenes - for example 200 extras will cost at least $50k a day for pay, catering and transportation alone, more if you need make up and costume too. So on certain productions (though probably not very many) you will be paying more total for background artists than for writing.

Step one - replace all extras/backgorun artists with fully digital versions - already happening
Step two - license the likeness of A-list stars and use them in perpetuity - just around the corner
Step three - fully digital movie stars, created and wholly owned by the studio, meaning not even having to pay an actor or their estate - ten years away maybe?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

tanglewood1420 posted:

Step one - replace all extras/backgorun artists with fully digital versions - already happening
Step two - license the likeness of A-list stars and use them in perpetuity - just around the corner
Step three - fully digital movie stars, created and wholly owned by the studio, meaning not even having to pay an actor or their estate - ten years away maybe?

all of this is so dumb and stupid and bad

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

Pretty sure Step 2 is already a thing and Step 3 is just around the corner, they're just waiting for the technology to improve enough to make it more viable. I remember reading something a couple years back about how some studio had purchased the rights to digitally recreate James Dean from his estate and use him in future movies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gordon Shumway posted:

Pretty sure Step 2 is already a thing and Step 3 is just around the corner, they're just waiting for the technology to improve enough to make it more viable. I remember reading something a couple years back about how some studio had purchased the rights to digitally recreate James Dean from his estate and use him in future movies.

I think it was Michael Douglas who recently did an interview where he said something like nowadays it isn't just thinking about what money/physical possessions you leave your family when you die, but also making it clear what you want done with your likeness rights since the studios are gonna try and get away with puppeteering your digital corpse and if it is going to happen the least you can do is make sure your family are getting paid for it.

Which is... you know, loving terrifying.

Hell, it's not even like studios haven't been trying to exploit dead celebrities for decades now. This aired 26 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkdirL0YxHE&t=48s

This was over 30 years ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP30ph6jcHE

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The last one looks like how in I want to say, 1996, when Star Trek Deep Space Nine was airing, they inserted the actors into the old original series episode 'The Trouble With Tribbles'.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fred Astaire selling vacuum cleaners in a superbowl was the real start of it all, and what got thr legal rights conversation going.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

The last one looks like how in I want to say, 1996, when Star Trek Deep Space Nine was airing, they inserted the actors into the old original series episode 'The Trouble With Tribbles'.

They used the Forest Gump technology I think? Which I remember feeling like an amazing thing at the time but looks kind of quaint by comparison to the insane things they can do now with digital likenesses, especially the lip synching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWd3T1xjec&t=24s

feedmyleg posted:

Fred Astaire selling vacuum cleaners in a superbowl was the real start of it all, and what got thr legal rights conversation going.

I'd never seen that before, but oof yeah that's pretty awful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6k5Abmjin4

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

I know this is unrelated, but I’m always amazed at how the Simpsons still amazes me all these years later. I’m of the opinion Season 8 was the last great season and yet when I see clips like this from season 9, 10, etc, I find it witty and sharp and poignant.

It really is the greatest TV show of all time isn’t it?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

fart blood posted:

I know this is unrelated, but I’m always amazed at how the Simpsons still amazes me all these years later. I’m of the opinion Season 8 was the last great season and yet when I see clips like this from season 9, 10, etc, I find it witty and sharp and poignant.

Answering the last part first: absolutely, it's the GOAT.

And I'm basically quoting myself from multiple years past, but Ultimate Simpsons in a Big Ol' Box is the entombed and sealed away canon of the show. Main book 1-8 where you have rise to prominence and perfection, one supplement of 9-10 when the sheen starts to wear off, and then one supplement of 11-12 where it's clear it's on the verge of falling apart but you can still consider "The Simpsons". Anybody who grew up watching those seasons should own this book.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yep, I had that back in the day and I basically agree with that -- my personal shark jumping moment was Maude dying, which is mid season 11. There are a few classic episodes after that though in the next few seasons but that is the main pivot point from good to bad imho. Also notable that the episode aired a couple months into 2000, which is another good cutoff point (the Simpsons is a 90's show first and foremost).

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 15, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fart blood posted:

They'll even occasionally throw out bangers even today, like 'Carl Carlson Rides Again.'

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

Yep, I had that back in the day and I basically agree with that -- my personal shark jumping moment was Maude dying, which is mid season 11. There are a few classic episodes after that though in the next few seasons but that is the main pivot point from good to bad imho. Also notable that the episode aired a couple months into 2000, which is another good cutoff point (the Simpsons is a 90's show first and foremost).

God, that was Season 11? I thought it was earlier. Also the other two universally recognized "jumping off" points for the Simpsons for most people were Homer's Enemy and The Principle and he Pauper, which were late Season 8 and early Season 9 respectively. With Homer's Enemy being, arguably, the last truly great Simpsons episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The one I remember watching and feeling like ‘this is just coming off as mean and not that funny’ is the one where Mr Burns keeps paying Homer to do embarrassing and/or dangerous things

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I bailed around Yvan eht nioj, returning every once-in-a-while to be repeatedly disappointed.

There's a gag in the BBQ episode where Homer sprays gobs and gobs of lighter fluid on the grill, building up the obvious. But then he lights it and it works just fine. That's the old Simpsons kind of clever.

At some point, they dumbed the show down considerably. If they did that same gag today, it would be "lol fat man caught on fire then fell down" or some such poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Impeach Churchill!" is a phenomenal line, delivered perfectly at exactly the right time to enhance the scene without making it all about Homer.

That golden run of The Simpsons is about as strong an argument as you can make for the importance of writers!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

LividLiquid posted:

There's a gag in the BBQ episode where Homer sprays gobs and gobs of lighter fluid on the grill, building up the obvious. But then he lights it and it works just fine. That's the old Simpsons kind of clever.

They had done the other joke where it explodes in a giant fireball already back in the first Halloween episode.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

"Impeach Churchill!" is a phenomenal line, delivered perfectly at exactly the right time to enhance the scene without making it all about Homer.

That golden run of The Simpsons is about as strong an argument as you can make for the importance of writers!

Yeah, I've been watching Toonrific Tariq's Simpsons videos and he made the very astute observation that when The Simpsons is on, if you don't like a gag they immediately throw five more at you and you don't even register you didn't like it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MagusDraco posted:

They had done the other joke where it explodes in a giant fireball already back in the first Halloween episode.
True, but even the way that went down went deeper than fat man stupid. There was craft to it. Cutting away turns it into much less broad a joke.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I hadn't watched the show in a long time when the crossover episode with Family Guy happened, and I was in awe that they made Peter Griffin the reasonable one in that episode. I haven't gone back since.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

To bring things slightly more back on topic, Maude being killed off on The Simpsons was a direct result of a pay dispute wasn't it? To the point that there's a joke in one of the later seasons where Homer is sobbing about how he wishes he was rich and gets progressively more upset as he sees the names of the executive producers in the credits and is despairing at how rich they are.... then the voice actors names come up and he goes,"Oh those people are rich too.... not as rich as they should be...." before wailing in pure horror when Matt Groening's name comes up.

It was funny, but also... yeah, The Simpons - particularly back then - was a cultural juggernaut and merchandising machine creating enormous wealth and the voice actors deserved more than they were getting given the show's success was built off of their performances in addition to the phenomenal writing. Killing off one of them who stuck to her guns was a bullshit move designed to cow the rest of them into submission. Boo :mad:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Maggie Roswell lived out of state and asked Fox to pay for her flights to LA to record so they instead killed off Maude and stopped using her for 3 years before bringing her back anyway.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If you haven't seem the episode Lisa the Boy Scout, do so. The people who kept watching Fox after the late NFL game were treated to a brilliant piece of storytelling.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Maggie Roswell lived out of state and asked Fox to pay for her flights to LA to record so they instead killed off Maude and stopped using her for 3 years before bringing her back anyway.

lol. They brought her back? I jumped ship around Maude dying, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeesh, so they really do just want to create Phillipsvision from that one episode of The Critic