Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

the obvious answer is to make a flex spot that is te/k and that's the only roster spot for either.

:catdrugs:

:chaostrump:

lmao I can hear the gnashing of teeth from that league already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I traded Achane and Christian Watson for AJ Brown and Jerome Ford yesterday

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

I did this in my home league one year. Forgot to exclude passing from it, though, so QB scoring ended up inflated for the year. Worked pretty well for the other positions, though

Yeah this league has rushing and receiving first downs and 6pt passing touchdowns. Also something about point per completion / negative point for incompletion. Josh Allen is a literal god, he's tied with Mahomes for most points right now and Mahomes has played a full game more than him (cause he was on TNF last night).

MacheteZombie posted:

This seems p good especially if you can't afford to have one of your best players farting around on IR for 4+ weeks

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Leperflesh posted:

the obvious answer is to make a flex spot that is te/k and that's the only roster spot for either.

this is hilarious, I'd probably roll with a kicker unless I had one of the top 4 TEs

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm hoping the jury's still out on Watson but this seems like a steal

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I am in two leagues that dropped both kickers and defenses and two leagues that still have them. At first I was against it, but now I am all for lowering busy-work maintenance and random variance. Down with kickers and defense.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

defense might be a bridge too far? there's actually some rhyme and reason to their weekly performance, i feel.

kickers, though...i don't see it. at least weekly. over a season, yea, you can see a clear trend. but game to game? who knows. just go with kickers who play in a game vegas expects to be very high scoring and close. that's about the only kicker advice that's ever made sense to me.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I have Baltimore D and 49ers kicker and I’m not messing with that except for bye weeks

Like, good enough

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Playing DFS where you can literally have any defense you want every week has taught me that it’s mostly, but not entirely, random bullshit. Like yeah don’t play the Giants vs the Dolphins. And conversely, definitely target whoever is playing the Giants. But there is no way to know who is going to luck into two scoop and scores or a punt return TD any given week and be awesome out of nowhere. It’s just as likely to be one of the “bad” defenses as it is the most expensive or popular on the slate.

I still think it would feel weird to not have them though. Maybe it’s just fantasy Stockholm syndrome

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

This is actually a really good idea

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The Big Jesus posted:

I’m gonna go ahead and say that this is because most domes are turf

This was accounted for in the analysis and was still found to be statistically relevant. Also (at least as of this year) there is an even distribution of turf fields outdoors and indoors. The breakdown of the 30 stadiums:

13 outdoor grass
7 outdoor turf (+1 shared between NY teams)
8 dome turf (+1 shared between LA teams)
2 dome grass

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 14, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, like: top two to four TEs are worth starting over most kickers, then what, justin tucker? A lot depends on your scoring but you can tweak the scoring for both positions to make it work. In our dynasty league we've been gnashing our teeth for a while about the guy who gets to have Kelce's entire career and how much of an advantage that is over everyone else, and especially the eight to ten teams who are getting like randomly 1.5 to 9 points each game from whatever TEs we're stuck with.

And of course we don't do kickers.

I have no idea how we could do this in a dynasty league that's already pushing ten years old, we'd have to have some kind of supplemental kicker draft or some poo poo? And I expect the Kelce owner to be against it. But we could outvote that jerk. It's 89

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

AnacondaHL posted:

This was accounted for in the analysis and was still found to be statistically relevant. Also (at least as of this year) there is an even distribution of turf fields outdoors and indoors. The breakdown of the 30 stadiums:

13 outdoor grass
7 outdoor turf (+1 shared between NY teams)
8 dome turf (+1 shared between LA teams)
2 dome grass

The fact that SoFi has turf instead of grass is insane.

Edit: Down with kickers, except maybe for that k/te slot idea

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

How would we feel about:

I give Nacua and Higbee and receive Evan Engram and Gabe Davis.

I have Kupp, Ridley, Lockett, Zay Flowers and Josh Reynolds as my other receivers.

I'm hesitant to ride or die with the Rams, just 'cause I don't want to lose when they have bad games...

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
In defense of Fantasy Kickers

1) Kickers routinely win irl football games so it makes sense they should win fantasy football games too
2) Kickers add variance, and variance is healthy when casuals play with sweaty tryhards
3) It's cool to have Gay on your roster
4) Kickers are random and dumb but fantasy is kinda random and dumb too

If every manager is a football degen then by all means get rid of the position but kickers are A Good Thing in casual leagues

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

In defense of Fantasy Kickers

1) Kickers routinely win irl football games so it makes sense they should win fantasy football games too
2) Kickers add variance, and variance is healthy when casuals play with sweaty tryhards
3) It's cool to have Gay on your roster
4) Kickers are random and dumb but fantasy is kinda random and dumb too

If every manager is a football degen then by all means get rid of the position but kickers are A Good Thing in casual leagues

I was almost convinced of the anti kicker crew and then I read this post

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I just looked in both of the (relatively standard) leagues I'm in, and 5 of the 10 top scoring kickers over the entire season so far are currently free agents. Kicking is random.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Lol both of my TEs are listed as questionable heading into tomorrow fml

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Also people say you can't predict the performance of a kicker, but you somewhat can (as much as you can predict anything else anyway): Just look for a good kicker who's on an okay-but-not-quite-good offense. Someone who is going to get a lot of FG tries because his offense is good enough to get close to the endzone sometimes, but not good enough to regularly score TDs.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
After a week or two I can always grab a top 2 kicker off of free agency. It gives me a positional advantage most weeks, but a lot of people don't seem to even bother looking at the kicker position after the draft other than the bye week.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

ChocolatePancake posted:

After a week or two I can always grab a top 2 kicker off of free agency. It gives me a positional advantage most weeks, but a lot of people don't seem to even bother looking at the kicker position after the draft other than the bye week.

This is what kills me. The people who complain about it never seem to take advantage of the best kickers on the waiver wire. "Oh this is all random they say while rostering the 20th best kicker in the league!"

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Anecdotally in one league I grabbed Koo in the draft but was able to pick up Elliott week 2 :laffo:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

This is what kills me. The people who complain about it never seem to take advantage of the best kickers on the waiver wire. "Oh this is all random they say while rostering the 20th best kicker in the league!"

To be fair there’s a pretty good chance the best kicker in week 4 or whatever can be the worst kicker RoS. It’s a total crapshoot.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Vargo posted:

Also people say you can't predict the performance of a kicker, but you somewhat can (as much as you can predict anything else anyway): Just look for a good kicker who's on an okay-but-not-quite-good offense. Someone who is going to get a lot of FG tries because his offense is good enough to get close to the endzone sometimes, but not good enough to regularly score TDs.

This is called "sweet spot scoring", a.k.a. If Vegas thinks you're kicker's team is going to score ~23 points. It's a relevant factor, but not much bigger than any other factor

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Gobias Ind. posted:

Yeah this is new, although I've found that I can still send trade offers using the app. Just not on desktop. Love to learn all the little Yahoo hacks.
Thanks to this tip I did a deal. Mark Andrews and Nico Collins for Justin Jefferson.

I double dipped on TEs and took Andrews and Hock (who also happen to have the same bye week) so this works pretty well for me. It’ll be cool having a WR corps of Tyreek and Justin Jefferson later this season

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
hello i will be playing Trenton Irwin over Marquise Brown this week 6 of the NFL season. If Higgins plays I may swap out Irwin for Boyd or I might diamonds hands it, tbd

quote:

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Sataere posted:

You have personally attacked me and Younghoe Koo

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

To be fair there’s a pretty good chance the best kicker in week 4 or whatever can be the worst kicker RoS. It’s a total crapshoot.

The point is that it isn't a total crapshoot. There are plenty of data points you can reference to figure out where the value is RoS. But people like to pretend it is totally random even though players in their starting lineups put up dudes all the time.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Kickers can kind of be figured out and aren't that random

Defenses, though there are 1, maybe 2 worth having each season and everyone else is streaming

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Fast Luck posted:

Thanks to this tip I did a deal. Mark Andrews and Nico Collins for Justin Jefferson.

I double dipped on TEs and took Andrews and Hock (who also happen to have the same bye week) so this works pretty well for me. It’ll be cool having a WR corps of Tyreek and Justin Jefferson later this season

Nice! I've tried to do the same a couple times this year but haven't had any luck yet.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Should I drop Jeudy? Or keep him just in case he gets traded and doesn't suck?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That one guy lit him tf up on Thursday, I’d get rid of him stat cuz he was right

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Should I trade an RB for Brock Purdy and ditch the qbs? If so which. I only have one win so far 🥲
Other team i would trade already has Hurts.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Got a trade offer: my Aaron Jones for his Cortland Sutton. Now as loath as am I to have any part of the 2023 Broncos, Sutton's been pretty decent and Jones has done nothing since week 1. On the other hand, I'm a bit down at RB after Conner's injury. My WR: Davis, Kirk, Rice, Higgins; RB: Montgomery, Jacobs, Dillon, Conner. I don't necessarily need to make a move with my current record, but I'm mildly leaning towards pulling the trigger?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zero_Grade posted:

Got a trade offer: my Aaron Jones for his Cortland Sutton. Now as loath as am I to have any part of the 2023 Broncos, Sutton's been pretty decent and Jones has done nothing since week 1. On the other hand, I'm a bit down at RB after Conner's injury. My WR: Davis, Kirk, Rice, Higgins; RB: Montgomery, Jacobs, Dillon, Conner. I don't necessarily need to make a move with my current record, but I'm mildly leaning towards pulling the trigger?
If it were me, I wouldnt. If you trade Jones away then Jacobs or Monty get hurt, you're hosed.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Zero_Grade posted:

Stay the gently caress away from Broncos

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Zero_Grade posted:

Do not make this trade

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Should I trade an RB for Brock Purdy and ditch the qbs? If so which. I only have one win so far 🥲

What? No.

Zero_Grade posted:

What? No.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I think WR is your weakest link, I doubt Brock Purdy makes an appreciable difference over Goff. Drop Love, grab waivers WRs until one hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

The point is that it isn't a total crapshoot. There are plenty of data points you can reference to figure out where the value is RoS. But people like to pretend it is totally random even though players in their starting lineups put up dudes all the time.

Totally. That’s why every year’s consensus #1 ranked kicker Justin Tucker is *checks notes* 29th overall in points scored by kickers.