Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

100 hours is enough for Elden Ring, you don't really need to replay it. If you can pay attention to a game for 100 hours its a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Can you explore multiple builds during one run?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Khanstant posted:

World of Warcraft has the best mounts in a game. They pop up instantly under your riding them and it steers exactly like your normal movement except faster because literally it does is increase your movement speed, which is what you want. Even flying is the same except you can go up and down too. That's the platonic ideal mount imo. Just make me go faster, not faster and weirder.

Games should have heelies, not horses.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

neato burrito posted:

Can you explore multiple builds during one run?

Yes, there's a respec system for your stats and you eventually get access to infinite sources of the various tiers of weapon-upgrade mats.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I wanna meat someone who understands me

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

it'll probabaly never happen :(

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
EDIT: ^^^^^^^ Not with that attitude, you won't.

I thought Dark Souls 2 was the poo poo one? :confused:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Only goobers think that

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Outpost22 posted:

EDIT: ^^^^^^^ Not with that attitude, you won't.

I thought Dark Souls 2 was the poo poo one? :confused:

It is.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Not liking Dark Souls 2 is a skill issue.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Things that DS2 haters struggle with:

Putting points in a stat that makes dodging better
Enjoying colorful, imaginative fantasy worlds that feel lived-in
Dealing with tricky, conniving enemies
Participating in PVP that isn't an "honorable duel"
Comprehending media which has themes that go beyond "it's grimdark and you can't die even if you want to"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 15, 2023

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've never played any of them but I'm pretty confident I could beat them on the hardest difficulty no sweat

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Again, I just only get into the whole Souls thing this past year so I don't have any skin in the slapfight, but I gotta agree with the dodge roll stat was garbo. It's not communicated to the player (the numbers are totally meaningless) so it apparently had to be tested by players and put on a wiki. It also scales wierldy where a few points bring you from zero to excellent then totally flatlines, so there's not even a lot of decision making on committing to the stat. You pay a small stat "tax" then move on, it's really poorly done.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's weird to look back at all the discussion of difficulty in Dark Souls because they're really not difficult games, especially once you've played one of them and understand how it works. They're just games that reward slow, methodical approaches, studying the environment or your opponent, and thinking about situations before rushing into them. They punish you for playing them like a traditional (non-souls) character action game. This is also why Bloodborne and DS3 suck, they got rid of that unique methodical action approach and tried to be fast-paced standard character action games instead so the original charm of the series was gone. Sekiro did that too but they went all-in with Sekiro and did it right.

Serephina posted:

Again, I just only get into the whole Souls thing this past year so I don't have any skin in the slapfight, but I gotta agree with the dodge roll stat was garbo. It's not communicated to the player (the numbers are totally meaningless) so it apparently had to be tested by players and put on a wiki. It also scales wierldy where a few points bring you from zero to excellent then totally flatlines, so there's not even a lot of decision making on committing to the stat. You pay a small stat "tax" then move on, it's really poorly done.

You're not factually wrong here but it's absolutely confounding to me that this kind of stuff is something some players don't like or are confused by. That exact kind of mechanical mystery and discovery is a big part of what made the early Souls games so great, and it's something that was well-known by the entire playerbase like an hour after the game released. It's no more of a 'stat tax' than e.g. stats that increase weight limits or stamina.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 15, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You're overestimating how much of the playerbase knows jackshit about the mechanics. Yeah the kind of people who post here and online about games often are gonna know. Elden Ring was the most people I knew in real life who had all been playing the same game at the same time together, including lots of people who I'd never talked about videogames before with. Aside from a couple folks every other conversation was in a whole other world, closer to the days when gaming magazines have you a leg up on info nobody else around you at school knew.

Most folks playing games don't wanna stop to go online and look up any poo poo and just don't.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Most folks playing games don't wanna stop to go online and look up any poo poo and just don't.

I wonder how true this actually is these days. It's not 1998 anymore, people know wikis exist and they're not hard to find. Maybe I just overestimate how many people do it because I was like 'wow cool gamefaqs!' twenty fuckin' years ago or whatever. Hell probably longer than that, I can remember my first FAQ, it was the Mooniac's Guide to Galaxies for Master of Orion 2.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm sure it's more common to pull up poo poo on a phone like "best build X game" type searches that also get the lovely search results written by AI and SEO hunters but I think most adults fall squarely in the realm of barely enough time to do things like play videogames as it is, and don't want to spend that limited time looking up poo poo games fail to explain themselves.

Doubly so for a game series that's marketed as hard and mysterious. If some casual player is having a hard time in the game they aren't gonna be thinking to look up how the weird stats work they're gonna be thinking yep this game is hard! If anything I'd expect that kind of player if they look things up to be looking for ez tips and cheese to get past it.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I don't go online and look up poo poo because loving everything up is half the fun. I played Lies of P with one gem in each "P organ" (lol) until halfway through the game I realized I had to put 2 in before they did anything.

Also I felt betrayed when I realized there was no one called Pinocchio in that game what the gently caress

Oh yeah, I also assumed charge cells were the thing my arm was using so I never bothered getting more until my 2nd playthrough. It turns out those were the healing flasks. Yeah, I'm pretty stupid.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 15, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I wanna meat someone who understands me

yeah i bet

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nice Van My Man posted:

I don't go online and look up poo poo because loving everything up is half the fun. I played Lies of P with one gem in each "P organ" (lol) until halfway through the game I realized I had to put 2 in before they did anything.

Also I felt betrayed when I realized there was no one called Pinocchio in that game what the gently caress

Oh yeah, I also assumed charge cells were the thing my arm was using so I never bothered getting more until my 2nd playthrough. It turns out those were the healing flasks. Yeah, I'm pretty stupid.

hell yeah this is the way to play videogames

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Obscure and esoteric mechanics always lead to fun internet discussion about games as everyone exchanged information and figured it out together. That's a cool thing that grows increasingly uncommon because of games' insistence on over-tutorialization and providing omniscient transparency into stats and mechanics. I get that it's all done to make more money by selling the game to more people but that doesn't mean it's not worse as game design and the people who insist they need to know every permutable number in a game are wrong and bad (and worst of all, board game players probably)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I wonder how true this actually is these days. It's not 1998 anymore, people know wikis exist and they're not hard to find. Maybe I just overestimate how many people do it because I was like 'wow cool gamefaqs!' twenty fuckin' years ago or whatever. Hell probably longer than that, I can remember my first FAQ, it was the Mooniac's Guide to Galaxies for Master of Orion 2.

It depends on the game

Like what would even be the point of a "best build" in Witcher 3 or AC Odyssey, they're singleplayer games and not particularly hard but I'm sure there are nerds on the internet debating which skill trees are the best

Then there are other games where it feels like you obviously need some kind of build to work toward because it's not obvious which skills matter and in what ways. Diablo 3 is a good example of this poo poo, most people just want a Kill Everything build but it may not be obvious at first glance which combination of skills gives you that.

I think I looked up build guides for Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2... not sure if I'll do that again for BG3 whenever I get around to playing it, but probably not.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

deep dish peat moss posted:

Things that DS2 haters struggle with:

Putting points in a stat that makes dodging better
Enjoying colorful, imaginative fantasy worlds that feel lived-in
Dealing with tricky, conniving enemies
Participating in PVP that isn't an "honorable duel"
Comprehending media which has themes that go beyond "it's grimdark and you can't die even if you want to"

in addition to the best invasions and best pvp covenants ds2 also had the best honorable duels though

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My big beef with DS2 was all the torches I lit expecting something to happen once I got em all burning and it only mattered in like 2 spots. That's more Nintendo fault than FromSofts so I still give it 👍👍

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Thinking dark souls 2 is the best souls game is a video gamer red flag imo

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

just further proving that you didn't even play the game, since Elden Ring doesn't have any horses in it

e: This is Torrent, maybe some kind of goat/horse hybrid but definitely not a horse

Pretty sure that's a yak.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Khanstant posted:

I'm sure it's more common to pull up poo poo on a phone like "best build X game" type searches that also get the lovely search results written by AI and SEO hunters but I think most adults fall squarely in the realm of barely enough time to do things like play videogames as it is, and don't want to spend that limited time looking up poo poo games fail to explain themselves.

Doubly so for a game series that's marketed as hard and mysterious. If some casual player is having a hard time in the game they aren't gonna be thinking to look up how the weird stats work they're gonna be thinking yep this game is hard! If anything I'd expect that kind of player if they look things up to be looking for ez tips and cheese to get past it.

*googles "strongest dark souls build"*

In the hit videogame Dark Souls, there are numerous builds the player can use to to tackle the game's famous difficulty. It's important to understand that there are a wide variety of builds the player can employ, enabled by the game's robust stat system. Stats can be increased by spending souls, the game's currency, and each impacts the player in numerous ways. It is important that the player understands how these stats work, in order to complete this fiendishly difficult game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's weird to look back at all the discussion of difficulty in Dark Souls because they're really not difficult games, especially once you've played one of them and understand how it works.

They're still quite difficult, the enemies hit very hard and can be very aggressive, mistakes are punished pretty intensely and death can have high stakes. They're more difficult than the wide variety of games that most people play if they aren't the shameless nerds in this thread.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

*peering around* I don't see any nerds in this thread.

Wait...oh..oh no...oh god!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
All this talk of dark souls has me thinking, could an AI program a game so difficult that even itself is incapable of beating it?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Outpost22 posted:

All this talk of dark souls has me thinking, could an AI program a game so difficult that even itself is incapable of beating it?

Any idiot coder can make an impossible game.
2D Mario game with 7 feet jump ability and a 10 feet gap. Done. It is impossible game.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Outpost22 posted:

Bubsy 3D exists. Part of the difficulty curve of that game is having to look at it, which can drive someone to insanity

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Dark Souls 2 has powerstance and was the catalyst to me coming to realize, after a lifetime of playing videogames, than playing as a tank is the funnest build in pretty much everything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

*googles "strongest dark souls build"*

In the hit videogame Dark Souls, there are numerous builds the player can use to to tackle the game's famous difficulty. It's important to understand that there are a wide variety of builds the player can employ, enabled by the game's robust stat system. Stats can be increased by spending souls, the game's currency, and each impacts the player in numerous ways. It is important that the player understands how these stats work, in order to complete this fiendishly difficult game.

BG3 is the absolute worst for this. It was in Early Access for a long time so you get the horrible fusion of the AI copy mixed with outdated scraped info from 2 years old pre release version. Once I found real people posts about builds I wanted to try I made sure to bookmark them because it seemed unlikely I'd find them easily ever again otherwise.

Advertising is herding us back to the era you had to go find an encyclopedia collection and dog through it if you wanted to look up arbitrary information. Does Encarta publish game faqs and guides?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's an old goon-run site called beforeiplay.com that had helpful non-obvious advice about video games, things that you should know before playing them. No one really adds new games to it anymore and that sucks because if you try to google for the same advice you'll get articles like "10 things you NEED to know before playing [game]" and it's all things that get tutorialized in the first 5 minutes of the game like "You can spend your money in shops" and "WASD moves the camera"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hey to be fair they also sometimes spoil bigger mechanics and story beats. Or urge players to play in an obtuse way that will undercut later challenges or surprises.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Souls players on the interwebs sure do like to brag about how good they are at deciphering the cryptic challenges and mechanics of these games, yet the traffic reports on fextralife, the site that tells you how to do everything in Dark Souls, are really really high despite this. It's almost like most people would prefer games to be at least a little forward about how their poo poo works.

Dark Souls II is my favorite btw.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i like games that make me want to check the wiki

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I also like games that make me feel stupid because of some obtuse mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If learning a new thing makes you feel stupid the game isn't at fault