Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

i sent it to expo70 cuz i knew she'd somehow be able to process it and yep

idk I think a huge part of it is he lacks the emotional literacy or the metacognition to recognize what he's seeing, so he can only describe it "as entities" -- he's so used to externalizing anything that is "obvious to his own senses" (including his past and future self, which hints at some sort of malignant shame which is very common in techbro culture) that I think he just has to fall back on metaphor.

To consider that he's made of component parts, and that those parts can be not only identified, but also recognized as expressing something he doesn't recognize as himself is probably too existentially horrifying for him to accept, which is why he ends up using selective intellectualization to try and "rationally" explain what he's seeing using "rational" equivalents -- to comfort himself using noises to describe the experience in loose and fast metaphors -- and its word-salad.

To wrap himself up in the blanket of things he thinks empowers him, to shield himself.

The irony is he thinks this is some incredibly profound experience, because he's so completely alien to himself when its basically a neurological blip.

I think its genuinely tragic.

And these are the guys microdosing LSD. Think about that for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

having not actually watched the videos, dont you think the production quality and the amount of actual backstory and non-ai generated content disqualifies it from being anything crypto related :(

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Expo70 posted:

idk I think a huge part of it is he lacks the emotional literacy or the metacognition to recognize what he's seeing, so he can only describe it "as entities" -- he's so used to externalizing anything that is "obvious to his own senses" (including his past and future self, which hints at some sort of malignant shame which is very common in techbro culture) that I think he just has to fall back on metaphor.

To consider that he's made of component parts, and that those parts can be not only identified, but also recognized as expressing something he doesn't recognize as himself is probably too existentially horrifying for him to accept, which is why he ends up using selective intellectualization to try and "rationally" explain what he's seeing using "rational" equivalents -- to comfort himself using noises to describe the experience in loose and fast metaphors -- and its word-salad.

To wrap himself up in the blanket of things he thinks empowers him, to shield himself.

The irony is he thinks this is some incredibly profound experience, because he's so completely alien to himself when its basically a neurological blip.

I think its genuinely tragic.

okay but the green orb literally told him it was an angel sent by god, he's not like interpreting that after the fact

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

okay but the green orb literally told him it was an angel sent by god, he's not like interpreting that after the fact

I mean no, that's him giving himself over to the metaphor he constructed entirely because he found the certainty of an answer more important than the uncertainty of no answer that might eventually lead to a good answer that can be iterated and improved upon.

He gave up, and let the experience take the wheel and I think it makes him an intellectual coward.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i think this is just the same video but i guess the goofy-rear end characters didn't go over too well

https://twitter.com/poliebotics/status/1713222504859271651

Expo70 posted:

I mean no, that's him giving himself over to the metaphor he constructed entirely because he found the certainty of an answer more important than the uncertainty of no answer that might eventually lead to a good answer that can be iterated and improved upon.

He gave up, and let the experience take the wheel and I think it makes him an intellectual coward.

i think you're incorrectly assuming he had any agency at all to begin with during... whatever the hell events these are, and considering he apparently started having these at age seven idk man you're asking too much from the internet weirdo

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
maybe he's just loving nuts

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

this is standard schizophrenic text, it's not really that interesting it's just sad

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

New Consumer Softproducts game looking sick

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Reveal all desires to the Poliecule

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

idk man you're asking too much from the internet weirdo

people are either online too much, or too much of them is online

almost everybody is an internet weirdo now

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
help poliepal closed my account and won't return my beams

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sir sir

why are you afraid

please stop kicking the robopoliece

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I get it, it's Transportimers on Blockchain.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

how long til Seth Greene buys the show rights to it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
this Heavy Metal reboot sucks

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Paladinus posted:

I get it, it's Transportimers on Blockchain.

I am Green Orb, Liminal hypersphere

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

join us on the meme plane

it's like roko's basilisk only pleasure, no pain

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tunicate posted:

this is standard schizophrenic text, it's not really that interesting it's just sad

it's a bit like reading valis, but this person is no philip dick

still, they've put more work into getting their break with reality out there than most people do.

Expo70 posted:

what could possibly go wrong?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Courtesy of the AI thread:

https://huggingface.co/ostris/ikea-instructions-lora-sdxl?text=bitcoin%2C+theft%2C+scam%2C+make+money

>

wait, https://huggingface.co/ostris/ikea-instructions-lora-sdxl?text=human+eating+shrimp%2C+human+injecting+heroin is even better.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 15, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
please keep ai crap contained to the ai containment thread, that's why it's there. tia

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

You know, reading Matt Levine's latest newsletter about the FTX stuff, I remain astonished that they seemed to be doing the finances for a company handling tens of billions of dollars using loving Google Sheets.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Erenthal posted:

We're going to create a comprehensive SBF source code documentation. Here.

First file is ftx / src / main.cpp. Feel free to correct me and guide me during this process. I know pretty much poo poo about coding. Yes, this might be completely inane but I am going to take that risk.

Let's start with these #crimes:

#crime "extraditiontreaties.h"
#crime "veganshrimp.h"
#crime "caroline.h"
#crime "polycule.h"
#crime "larrydavid.h"
#crime "dontlookhere.h"
#crime <games/riot/leagueoflegends.hpp>
#crime <boost/prescriptiondrugs.hpp>

What do each of these files do and refer to? What is the function of #crime?

going to suggest to you that none of these nouveau riche fuckers know a lick of c

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jealous of Larry David cuz he got to say it was all dumb and get paid

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
do {
crime *= crime++;
} while (crime > 0);

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You know, reading Matt Levine's latest newsletter about the FTX stuff, I remain astonished that they seemed to be doing the finances for a company handling tens of billions of dollars using loving Google Sheets.

when this all started Sam posted the FTX “balance sheet” which was like 10 cells with account names and “best guess” balance for each of them. you get the sense that was probably legitimately the closest thing to a balance sheet they were capable of producing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Vibes accounting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

why? crypto in general is entirely about using the worst possible tool for any job.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Alan Smithee posted:

Vibes accounting

Please don’t dox our household budgeting strategy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunicate posted:

idk they're fine posts just the reply quotes end up being bulky

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like any crypto enterprise that isn't explicitly a scam from day one, it was a bunch of people who thought that they were a lot smarter than they were, doing the dumbest possible poo poo at every turn, because they were entirely too stupid to learn how to do things properly.

of course they thought they could hand-manage their entire corporate finances in a consumer spreadsheet app

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Squinky v2.0 posted:

when this all started Sam posted the FTX “balance sheet” which was like 10 cells with account names and “best guess” balance for each of them. you get the sense that was probably legitimately the closest thing to a balance sheet they were capable of producing.

based on the bankruptcy ceo's initial report, it was

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

infernal machines posted:

like any crypto enterprise that isn't explicitly a scam from day one, it was a bunch of people who thought that they were a lot smarter than they were, doing the dumbest possible poo poo at every turn, because they were entirely too stupid to learn how to do things properly.

of course they thought they could hand-manage their entire corporate finances in a consumer spreadsheet app

tbf a lot of the tone taken by the first wave of bitcoiners came off like they wanted revenge against society for laughing at them but unfortunately for them more people are laughing at them and doing so louder than ever

I'm assuming that logansryche guy ended up as a covid statistic though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

That was soda theater guy right

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the accounting system I work on can cost millions of dollars per year and its most direct competitor is excel. people do a lot of poo poo they shouldn’t, up into billions in assets at “small” hedge funds, using spreadsheets

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
crime() {
crime | crime &
}

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I'm assuming that logansryche guy ended up as a covid statistic though

it's a pity, he could have made billions

Alan Smithee posted:

That was soda theater guy right

yeah

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

the accounting system I work on can cost millions of dollars per year and its most direct competitor is excel. people do a lot of poo poo they shouldn’t, up into billions in assets at “small” hedge funds, using spreadsheets

i have a client managing hundreds of millions in RE development funds in quickbooks, but at least it's an accounting package

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

happy late birthday, infernal machine :3

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:cheers: thanks!

i didn't even notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Everyone i think about these dudes buying pizzas and dog dick tables and losing drives in landfills I just picture Homer slapping the lightbulb