Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

lmao you could have given me at thousand guesses and I wouldn't have guessed Katherine Heigl was in Bride of Chucky, this movie is wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Snooze Cruise posted:

halloween isn't hot trash but i do kinda feel firmly meh about it. its hard to not compare it to black christmas which has a much more compelling cast of characters. the shape being an outline where you can insert any normal looking dude in there who could suddenly have the potential commit violence towards women is interesting, but again black christmas does much of the same and manages to explore much more in its runtime.

i dunno i like most of carpenter's movies more.

I just didn't find Michael Myers to be a very compelling villain. And I think I'm right, there's a reason they've struggled to make good Halloween sequels while Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Chuckey, etc all have much better batting averages.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

we need fewer babysitter slashers. and more baby slashers

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I don’t understand any of this conversation, because all horror movies are good

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

gey muckle mowser posted:

I've been told my recommendations aren't trustworthy because I like everything, but hell, same

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The worst horror movie is the one I’m not watching

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

The worst horror movie is the one I’m not watching

:haibrow:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol this rules

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mover posted:

Slashers who are babies or slashers who slash babies?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Slashers who are babies or slashers who slash babies?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

Watch Spoonful of Sugar and you'll get more of both

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I dunno the Bye Bye Man kind of didn't need to be created

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like the bye bye man's famous catch phrase, "bye bye"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bye bye man created funny memes. It’s worth it

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
On what pages do I see Saw X chat because I just saw it and…I kind of loved it?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Gripweed posted:

I just didn't find Michael Myers to be a very compelling villain. And I think I'm right, there's a reason they've struggled to make good Halloween sequels while Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Chuckey, etc all have much better batting averages.

If you're mentally able to divorce it from the rest of the series entirely, Michael Myers in the original Halloween has way, way, WAY more personality than the mindless killing machine role that popular memory has committed him to. The subsequent movies just immediately abandoned his childlike innocent qualities and basically let Jason run whole hog with it.

In the first one Michael Myers even has like, a plan and a specific goal, to leave a message to the world using his sister's tombstone and a victim's corpse on display. The way I read it is he's trying to explain why he killed his sister, but regardless, throughout the movie it's apparent Myers does in fact have an inner life and isn't actually the empty vessel for evil that the mad doctor Loomis believes he is.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/hall...of%20Halloween.

It was supposed to be an anthology. Studios beat it to death and personified the Shape instead of just letting it be a mystery.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Doltos posted:

I dunno the Bye Bye Man kind of didn't need to be created

I’m taking this as a challenge to watch The Bye Bye Man and find at least one redeeming quality

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If the Titular Man is double Bye does that make him Pan or does he loop around to Hetero?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This thread has a real stink about it when people start talking about all the great movies they don’t like.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

TheBizzness posted:

This thread has a real stink about it when people start talking about all the great movies they don’t like.

every so often some rube blunders in with a POPULAR MOVIE SO BAD take not realising all the posters here actively consume trash and love it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I’m taking this as a challenge to watch The Bye Bye Man and find at least one redeeming quality
The only redeeming thing about the Bye Bye Man is this parody image

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

alf_pogs posted:

every so often some rube blunders in with a POPULAR MOVIE SO BAD take not realising all the posters here actively consume trash and love it

That's every horror community on the internet. I was blundering in to talk about The Fall of the House of Usher and saw someone gatekeeping terrible horror movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just watched Dust Devil and man, that husband subplot hits different knowing that the director is a wife beater.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheBizzness posted:

It’s annoying when people are super abrasive for no reason imO

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

One of my favorite comic artists watched Jason Lives for the first time. Watching him talk about playground rumors about f13, he mentioned two I never heard before, that Hitchcock ghost directed the first one, and Tommy Jarvis was going to star in a sequel called Tommy Turns the Tables, wearing a blue v hockey mask, anyone ever hear these rumors before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgzTMIvUe6Y

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just finished watching the Haunting of Bly Manor and if it was so important that the children not remember the events at the house why does the gardener tell them the story on their wedding day?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Bly-Bly Manor

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8E8Ryx49so

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

now that's a trailer!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Bly-Bly Manor

lmfao

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I rewatched Lake Mungo last night, I saw it back when it first came out and didn’t really get it, and I’m still not sure I fully understood this time either. I read it as something like Alice’s family was oblivious to any signs of what she was going though before she died, and basically still are now that she’s a ghost? Why did she bury her stuff at Lake Mungo? Was that another “they should’ve realized something was seriously wrong” moment or does it mean something else?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

While shopping for horror movies this weekend I learned that not only is there a movie called Beach Volleyball Detectives, it's actually Beach Volleyball Detectives Part 1.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watched all of House of Usher yesterday. There was a lot I enjoyed about it but a lot I found kind of corny, too.

I'm not super familiar with Poe but I've read a few of the greatest hits, and the show really is one big pastiche of those. Sometimes the Poe content feels unearned and shoehorned in - thinking particularly of The Raven here, with how it only comes in at the eleventh hour with minimal setup beforehand, and then they bend over backwards to avoid making Bruce Greenwood say "quoth".

Also I'd like to table a couple of motions: first, NIN's "Closer" is off the table for movie soundtracks for a decade. gently caress off with that. Second, and related, if you are going to put an overhead sprinkler rave in your horror media, consider instead using "Confusion" from the Blade soundtrack.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Bye bye man created funny memes. It’s worth it

everyone needs to listen to Sean Clements’s Hollywood Masterclass, you will love the BBM and laugh heartily for the rest of your days

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I bet if you asked really nicely Herzog would be in your slasher movie.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

If you're mentally able to divorce it from the rest of the series entirely, Michael Myers in the original Halloween has way, way, WAY more personality than the mindless killing machine role that popular memory has committed him to. The subsequent movies just immediately abandoned his childlike innocent qualities and basically let Jason run whole hog with it.

In the first one Michael Myers even has like, a plan and a specific goal, to leave a message to the world using his sister's tombstone and a victim's corpse on display. The way I read it is he's trying to explain why he killed his sister, but regardless, throughout the movie it's apparent Myers does in fact have an inner life and isn't actually the empty vessel for evil that the mad doctor Loomis believes he is.

Michael Myers, the unknowable psycho who uses his sister's tombstone as a setpiece in his killing spree is so much more interesting than Michael Myers the guy who just really, really needs to kill his family. As soon as he's Laurie's secret brother there's no fear that this could happen anywhere for no reason.
The first Halloween is an absolute classic that could only ever work once. Sitting in a theatre in 1978, watching this guy stalk these girls, listening to that music build and build and being scared of what would happen... and then it does and it keeps happening and he's posing the victims to make it worse and he's using the tombstone as a decoration and then he's shot and falls out a window but he's just GONE, you can't recapture that.
They should have listened to Carpenter and let the series be different every time. That would actually have allowed creative people to capture the same vibe again.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At least we have Halloween III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Phy posted:

Watched all of House of Usher yesterday. There was a lot I enjoyed about it but a lot I found kind of corny, too.

I'm not super familiar with Poe but I've read a few of the greatest hits, and the show really is one big pastiche of those. Sometimes the Poe content feels unearned and shoehorned in - thinking particularly of The Raven here, with how it only comes in at the eleventh hour with minimal setup beforehand, and then they bend over backwards to avoid making Bruce Greenwood say "quoth".

Also I'd like to table a couple of motions: first, NIN's "Closer" is off the table for movie soundtracks for a decade. gently caress off with that. Second, and related, if you are going to put an overhead sprinkler rave in your horror media, consider instead using "Confusion" from the Blade soundtrack.

I loved how goofy and corny it was at times. It seemed like a genuinely fun production. It was more in the vein of "people poo poo with horror happening over there". Reminded me of Benson & Morehead in places. It had a stellar cast, it was genuinely funny in places, and occasionally horrifying. I was engaged the entire time. We binged it in two sittings and I haven't done that in a while (outside the Chucky show).