Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I realize this is yelling into the void but god drat windows is annoying on a handheld.

I started playing StarDew Valley again and is annoying AF that on the windows device I have to make sure to get to the end of the day and save then quit the game before "sleeping" the device.

On the deck I can just sleep the fuckin thing and pick up where I left off.

I really like My Ally for a lot of reasons but windows is just the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
DBZ: Kakarot was in my “Sure, why not” sale price range, and I needed something light for the deck while getting my kids to sleep since I play beefy games (Cyberpunk and BG3) at my desk. What a chill game. Has the occasional tough fight, but I mainly cruise around picking produce, sniping dinosaurs, fishing, and helping the locals. Plays perfectly on the deck even though it isn’t verified. Gets around 3 hours of battery life, though you could definitely squeeze out more.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I liked that game a lot, I played like 100 hours of it. I was really surprised by how bad the reviews were

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Still can't get Titanfall 2 to get passed the EA launcher. The launcher itself tries to access my account and then just goes to a blank screen.

Anyone know whats up?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a game on steam that has the same general vibe as Mario golf or Hot Shots (Everybody’s) Golf?

Just a chill arcadey golf experience

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2397120/subpar_pool/

I’ve been playing this on my phone for a couple of days and enjoying it

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is there a game on steam that has the same general vibe as Mario golf or Hot Shots (Everybody’s) Golf?

I wish. Honestly emulation is probably the only thing. Golf with your friends is not remotely what I was looking for.

rafikki posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2397120/subpar_pool/

I’ve been playing this on my phone for a couple of days and enjoying it

This looks great. On Android, too. Still not the same type of game as Hotshots but I'll be picking this up

malnourish fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 16, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I already have 30 hours in the Balatro demo lol. It’s so good. Perfect on Deck, it’ll run with all the power settings set really low.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Shot in the dark; is Golf Story on Steam?

Edit: no. No it is not.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Party Boat posted:

Samsung have just announced that they're killing Steam Link support at the end of next month. I guess anything AndroidTV is still okay?
I've tried the android app on a couple different phones and tablets with keyboards and mice plugged in and I've never gotten the sort incredibly low latency feel that I get from the actual Steam Link hardware, old as it is. The 1080p limitation is a real bummer, but I've got a 1080p projector so I'll just start using it for that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow someone could really corner the market on PC casual golf if they make a Mario golf/hotshots golf clone

And they should because I want to play it

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’ve only had the Deck offline for a day or two at a time so far and it’s been fine, but I know some people have problems when not having an internet connection for extended periods. I’m going on a trip soon for a couple of weeks, any weird authentication errors I should expect to come across or am I all good to get Astarion’s sex scenes in publicplay Baldur’s Gate 3 on my flights with no worries?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Wow someone could really corner the market on PC casual golf if they make a Mario golf/hotshots golf clone

And they should because I want to play it

what's that you said? you want a deckbuilding roguelike soulslike with crafting elements? I'm on it!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont forget the Survival Horror Zombies angle!!!!!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Question Mark Mound posted:

I’ve only had the Deck offline for a day or two at a time so far and it’s been fine, but I know some people have problems when not having an internet connection for extended periods. I’m going on a trip soon for a couple of weeks, any weird authentication errors I should expect to come across or am I all good to get Astarion’s sex scenes in publicplay Baldur’s Gate 3 on my flights with no worries?

It's mostly if you have to reboot i believe.
I just reboot while on wifi the day before a trip and it's been fine.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I need something like this so badly on PC/Deck. I have so many hours of Mario Golf/Golf Story played.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just emulate one of those boring golf games and stop trying to make more golf happen in the world

Golf is the most boring sport

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

what's that you said? you want a deckbuilding roguelike soulslike with crafting elements? I'm on it!

Playing a deck building golf game where every card is “Slice”: “Ugh, games are too realistic these days.”

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

I realize this is yelling into the void but god drat windows is annoying on a handheld.

I started playing StarDew Valley again and is annoying AF that on the windows device I have to make sure to get to the end of the day and save then quit the game before "sleeping" the device.

On the deck I can just sleep the fuckin thing and pick up where I left off.

I really like My Ally for a lot of reasons but windows is just the worst.

Yeah I just shut it down most of the time because windows doesn’t do sleep well, and then I use Steam Big Picture which is just the deck’s GUI

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm sorry, are you people talking about a Linux system doing sleep better than Windows? Has the world gone mad?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

I'm sorry, are you people talking about a Linux system doing sleep better than Windows? Has the world gone mad?

it's better than windows at sleep, and also everything else, because windows loving stinx

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm pretty sure there are microwaves with better sleep management than Windows.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Antigravitas posted:

You have no idea how much better the Deck is for the form factor. Despite that, I use my Ally exclusively now.

gently caress you, Windows.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

If every linux computer exploded on going to sleep it would be a marked improvement on Window's and its enthralment to the spice.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
If I put the system to sleep with a game running, does playtime still accrue?

That happened to me with my Switch - I have like 300 hours on my Digimon Cyber Sleuth save, because I didn't close the game before putting it to sleep and leaving the console in the dock for a while.

All my Digimon in the daycare ended up at max level and totally hosed the game balance.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

jokes posted:

You have no idea how much better the Deck is for the form factor. Despite that, I use my Ally exclusively now.

gently caress you, Windows.

Why though

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Annath posted:

That happened to me with my Switch - I have like 300 hours on my Digimon Cyber Sleuth save, because I didn't close the game before putting it to sleep and leaving the console in the dock for a while.

All my Digimon in the daycare ended up at max level and totally hosed the game balance.

I don't think so, but some games have wonky ways of working with sleep. The only game I saw do that on the Switch was Atelier Lydie and Suelle which thinks I have 300 hours in my playthrough because before a few patches it did the same thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Annath posted:

Yes but it's a bug, it's happened to me on a few games now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why though

I use the Ally because it can hit much higher frame rates at 720p/1080p and I don't have to tinker with poo poo to get games running anywhere near as much, and also it lets me play certain games natively.

If you're asking why Windows loving sucks for this form factor it's because they desperately need a gaming mode GUI like SteamOS because the desktop mode sucks. Thankfully Steam Big Picture Mode exists, but that doesn't fix the suspend issue. I maintain that the biggest appeal of the Deck is SteamOS, it's really mind-blowing how important a good GUI is.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

the "game mode" gui is literally just big picture mode

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

On SteamOS it's also Gamescope, a Wayland compositor that provides window management geared towards console-like app switching with gamepad input. The problem with Windows is that underneath any shell or overlay lies the ol' Windows Icons Menus Pointer.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Kind of disappointed I haven't seen newer games well optimized for the steam decks computer guts. When it was brand new I understood it would take a while for existing games to adapt to it. But there's so many games we'll suited for it beyond just emulation but they are poorly optimized it seems.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

jokes posted:

I use the Ally because it can hit much higher frame rates at 720p/1080p and I don't have to tinker with poo poo to get games running anywhere near as much, and also it lets me play certain games natively

That's fair it just seems like such a bad experience otherwise, especially the sleep aspect

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

cp2077 just has a "steam deck" preset in the graphics settings which i think is neat. haven't tried it out though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

hbag posted:

the "game mode" gui is literally just big picture mode

Yeah, but it has poo poo like TDP control and stuff built into it on the Deck

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Small picture mode

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hbag posted:

cp2077 just has a "steam deck" preset in the graphics settings which i think is neat. haven't tried it out though

It’s kinda bad as a whole but serviceable if you want to not mess with settings in-depth.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Annath posted:

I’m my experience it does but then corrects itself.
But sometimes if the game itself tracks playtime sleep will mess up playtime. So it’ll be right in steam but wrong in game.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is there any way to independently set the gamma of the external display when you’re plugged into a dock? I don’t have the best TV but it is calibrated within an inch of its life, and the deck’s gamma is appreciably darker than anything else plugged into it to the point where it looks a little weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

deong posted:

It's mostly if you have to reboot i believe.
I just reboot while on wifi the day before a trip and it's been fine.
I'll make a point to do that then - thanks!