Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

razamataza posted:

Dark Souls 2 tried some interesting things and even though it's my least favourite game in the series I think it has some of the most interesting story threads and really like the overall vibe and mood. It introduced power stancing, had a huge build variety, and undoubtedly the best covenants and online play in any souls game.

It's really a shame that it went through development hell, with Tanimura himself stating that ideally they would have rebuilt the game from the ground up after Shibuya was kicked off of the project but they only had 15 months to ship it so instead had to repurpose all of the existing assets and were not able to fix all of the god awful hit box and AI pathing bugs. No doubt a lot of people jump on the bandwagon to slam Dark Souls 2 because it's trendy but it's also just very obvious that it suffers from more technical issues and baffling design choices than the other games as a result of it's troubled development.

Much of it seems to be second-album syndrome too. I appreciate that it's the third Souls game (if we discount King's Field), but Dark Souls being multi-format and Demon's Souls having a long-tail meant that it would have been a lot of people's first. And it really was a breath of fresh air in 2011 (which was a pretty strong year for games, all things considered).

I don't think DS2 is better that DS (maybe more consistent, though), but even if it was, there was no way it could have the same impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I can't really be mad at The Last Guardian for being merely "ok" but like, goddamn, Shadow of the Colossus was genuinely great.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Barudak posted:

I can't really be mad at The Last Guardian for being merely "ok" but like, goddamn, Shadow of the Colossus was genuinely great.

I'm playing through Shadow of the Colossus remaster for the first time and am absolutely loving it. I'm only on the second boss but what a mood the game has.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I spent more time reading the Bloodborne wiki than playing Bloodborne, the whole time wishing any of this information was actually presented in the game

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Nuebot posted:

Every dark souls game is actually bad

Unpopular Videogame Opinions: Dark Souls is Good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vic posted:

This thread is making me want to go back in time and never play a Dark Souls game ever.

For how fun they are to play, they really are a huge drag to discuss online. Tedious rants about why one version is good/badder than others, laborious conversations about minor stats, having to talk to people who beat games multiple times like any of their opinions or habits could be shared and related to as if they were normal people, so many stupid tier lists from hierarchal fiends.

In an ideal world nobody could discuss Dark Souls online except through soap stones inside the games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

TLG is every bit as good as SOTC

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I can forgive all the inconsistent level design, questionable enemy placements, and underwhelming bosses in DS2 because the combat just feels so goddamn good. It still feels weighty and methodical like DS1, but infinitely less janky/floaty, and it's an entire world of difference from the constant rolling of later entries. This also (as previously mentioned) makes for the absolute best PVP in the franchise because every attack and dodge is crucial and you can't drag out encounters just by being a roll-spamming mongrel. I'm currently loving Lies of P and I think a big part of that is how much the combat reminds me of DS2. Anyway:

DS1: Best survival horror
DS2: Best combat, best online features, best hub
BB: Best atmosphere
DS3: Best fashion, best NPCs
Sekiro: Best synergy of ideas/Most polished
ER: Best Horse

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I'm currently loving Lies of P

I can't believe people love this game so much

It's a janky rear end rip off game with the most cliched and boring world imaginable

Personally seems like fans of these games are just chasing the next overly difficult trophy despite the game doing nothing put pulling in all the dopamine producing mechanics

Edit: The name is just loving HORRIBLE too

Konar fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 16, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I can forgive all the inconsistent level design, questionable enemy placements, and underwhelming bosses in DS2 because the combat just feels so goddamn good. It still feels weighty and methodical like DS1, but infinitely less janky/floaty, and it's an entire world of difference from the constant rolling of later entries. This also (as previously mentioned) makes for the absolute best PVP in the franchise because every attack and dodge is crucial and you can't drag out encounters just by being a roll-spamming mongrel. I'm currently loving Lies of P and I think a big part of that is how much the combat reminds me of DS2. Anyway:

DS1: Best survival horror
DS2: Best combat, best online features, best hub
BB: Best atmosphere
DS3: Best fashion, best NPCs
Sekiro: Best synergy of ideas/Most polished
ER: Best Horse

Wow that's wild to me. It really just goes to show how people like completely different things about the series. One of the the main reasons I don't care much for Dark Souls 2 is that the combat feels like junk to me compared to their other games.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The combat in Lies of P reminded me of Sekiro if you wanted to gently caress over everyone who had muscle memory from tapping block in Sekiro.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Konar posted:

I can't believe people love this game so much

It's a janky rear end rip off game with the most cliched and boring world imaginable

Personally seems like fans of these games are just chasing the next overly difficult trophy despite the game doing nothing put pulling in all the dopamine producing mechanics

Edit: The name is just loving HORRIBLE too

What exactly do you find janky about it? It honestly feels like one of the most polished games I've played in years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

From what I have played of Lies of P it seems competently made, but I cannot get past how much of a Bloodborne ripoff it is. It's just absolutely shameless. The game does feel decent to play but that level of unoriginality is hella off putting. Also the main character is just embarrassing to look at.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

From what I have played of Lies of P it seems competently made, but I cannot get past how much of a Bloodborne ripoff it is. It's just absolutely shameless.

Yeah well maybe if From would loving port Bloodborne to PC already we wouldn't have to settle.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I played the Lies of P demo and its got a good feel to the controls, hits feel really chunky and its funny to play as puppet Timothy Chalamet. A good gamefeel goes a long way with souls type games.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Yeah well maybe if From would loving port Bloodborne to PC already we wouldn't have to settle.

Pretty sure that it's not up to From as Sony owns the IP. But yeah a PC port or Bluepoint remake/remaster or even just a 60fps patch would make me happy.

e: This is a pretty interesting video by Lance McDonald on the frame rate constraints in BB and how he was able to modify the engine to run at 60 fps on a hacked playstation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0tqppZDYxw

razamataza fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 16, 2023

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The opening area with the stage coaches and people and dogs (except robots!) was so Bloodborne I felt like they had started by just straight up making Bloodborne then realized they had something and brought an artist to change it up a bit. The later areas differentiated themselves a bit more. Running around the Opera House made me think I wish they'd rip off Symphony of the Night a bit, ditch the regular ambient Soulslike thing and throw in an eclectic soundtrack with crazier areas. The combat was interesting because it felt like it borrowed a bit from each Fromsoft game but managed to make it feel polished and work. It had that up close and personal feel that Sekiro had since it emphasized blocking so much.

It's not without its flaws but so far its the only non Fromsoft Soulslike I've gotten into because it didn't make Mortal Shell's mistake of sticking a bunch of drat BEAR TRAPS IN THE INTRO AREA gently caress YOU MORTAL SHELL!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

For how fun they are to play, they really are a huge drag to discuss online. Tedious rants about why one version is good/badder than others, laborious conversations about minor stats, having to talk to people who beat games multiple times like any of their opinions or habits could be shared and related to as if they were normal people, so many stupid tier lists from hierarchal fiends.

In an ideal world nobody could discuss Dark Souls online except through soap stones inside the games.

you have to beat all of them 3 times to get all the ending achievements or you're a fake gamer
:colbert:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

i was playing a little cyberpunk phantom liberty and i dunno. the game just still isn't that much fun. the combat is as squishy as ever, and combat arenas just devolve into me running around randomly slashing my katana because everything else feels so unsatisfying but it's an FPS so you can't see anything that way

then it's like, oh they've rejigged all the perks and stuff...great there's still about 100 of them and i can't be bothered with all these 10% greater crit chance bullshit.

there's no lore or world appeal for me with it either. i just don't care about all the variations of computer chip.

also quests have bugged and it has crashed to desktop twice already so i dunno.

i completed the main game about a year ago and somehow i got it in my head it was a good time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nice Van My Man posted:

The combat in Lies of P reminded me of Sekiro if you wanted to gently caress over everyone who had muscle memory from tapping block in Sekiro.

Lies of P at least proved that if you want to make a perfect block based game tapping is the way to go. It's also actually as hard as game critics act like Dark Souls is. I enjoyed it overall, but I think I'd replay The Surge or Nioh games before I come back to it.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

roomtone posted:

i was playing a little cyberpunk phantom liberty and i dunno. the game just still isn't that much fun. the combat is as squishy as ever, and combat arenas just devolve into me running around randomly slashing my katana because everything else feels so unsatisfying but it's an FPS so you can't see anything that way

then it's like, oh they've rejigged all the perks and stuff...great there's still about 100 of them and i can't be bothered with all these 10% greater crit chance bullshit.

there's no lore or world appeal for me with it either. i just don't care about all the variations of computer chip.

also quests have bugged and it has crashed to desktop twice already so i dunno.

i completed the main game about a year ago and somehow i got it in my head it was a good time.

I dunno how they added in level scaling for all enemies and still managed to totally rehabilitate how people see the game. I remember it was a big earth shattering deal for some Elder Scrolls game, but I guess when every enemy is a variation of a dude or the same robot it doesn't matter as much. I think people were really ready to start liking CP2077 and the devs again esp. contrasted against Starfield.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
more like dork souls

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I feel like the only person in the world who thinks Shadow of the Colossus is just 'okay' and not nearly as great as everyone else makes it out to be.

Nice Van My Man posted:

It's not without its flaws but so far its the only non Fromsoft Soulslike I've gotten into because it didn't make Mortal Shell's mistake of sticking a bunch of drat BEAR TRAPS IN THE INTRO AREA gently caress YOU MORTAL SHELL!

Don't undersell it.

The opening area of Mortal Shell is a goddamn POISON SWAMP FILLED WITH HARD TO SEE BEAR TRAPS gently caress OFF FOREVER.

What an absolutely miserable goddamn game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

TLG is every bit as good as SOTC

Ive played many games on various budget levels that feel like Last Guardian. Its just missing that imaginative spark that I got from Shadow of the Colossus

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Unpopular Video Game Opinions: more like dork souls

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

Ive played many games on various budget levels that feel like Last Guardian. Its just missing that imaginative spark that I got from Shadow of the Colossus

Did you finish it? I just can’t imagine finishing that game and feeling that way.

Shadow is conceptually and structurally a more unique game but TLG has some of the best vibes ever and Trico is a really impressive accomplishment even if he janks out sometimes.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I think I can understand feeling that TLG is the weakest of the three games but it definitely is on their level IMO.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like the idea of shadow of the colossus but actually playing it is the antithesis of everything that I find fun about videogames. Platforming, running through vast barren landscapes, and bosses that are essentially just platformer rhythm games :thumbsdown:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Shadow of the Colossus open world is more interesting than Elden Rings.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vandar posted:

The opening area of Mortal Shell is a goddamn POISON SWAMP FILLED WITH HARD TO SEE BEAR TRAPS gently caress OFF FOREVER.

one could also assert this about baldur's gate 3 and it wouldn't be inaccurate

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The bear traps in mortal shell were great, it's a pretty fantastic game all around because it's an absolute love letter to everything about DS1, such as needing to move slowly and observe everything about your surroundings to avoid traps. And the Harden mechanic is rad and probably the single best combat mechanic in any Souls game. Plus it had some cool as hell cosmic horror setpieces and you play as a goddamn alien.

Only complaint I had with it was it's too short

But I could see not liking it if you don't have fond memories of DS1

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

deep dish peat moss posted:

The bear traps in mortal shell were great, it's a pretty fantastic game all around because it's an absolute love letter to everything about DS1, such as needing to move slowly and observe everything about your surroundings to avoid traps. And the Harden mechanic is rad and probably the single best combat mechanic in any Souls game. Plus it had some cool as hell cosmic horror setpieces and you play as a goddamn alien.

Only complaint I had with it was it's too short

But I could see not liking it if you don't have fond memories of DS1

I loving love Dark Souls 1 it's probably my second favorite game ever.

Mortal Shell is trash.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sounds like a skill issue to me

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
One thing I miss from Demons Souls that got slowly removed from the Fromsoft Souls games was the focus on weapon collision with level geometry. If you were in a narrow corridor, using a large weapon with sweeping attacks just wasn't viable because it would bounce off the walls. You'd have to switch to something small like a dagger or something that thrusts forward like a spear (or just run through and find a more open area to fight in). It added an aspect of combat strategy that you don't see in most games. They kinda kept this in DS1, but it's watered down and only happens at certain angles, otherwise your weapon clips right through the wall. I can't remember how it was in DS2 but by DS3/ER the collision is all but gone; maybe your attack will bounce if you're directly facing a wall but other than that there's no interaction other than some sparks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Unpopular Video Game Opinions: more like dork souls

:trumppop:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

One thing I miss from Demons Souls that got slowly removed from the Fromsoft Souls games was the focus on weapon collision with level geometry. If you were in a narrow corridor, using a large weapon with sweeping attacks just wasn't viable because it would bounce off the walls. You'd have to switch to something small like a dagger or something that thrusts forward like a spear (or just run through and find a more open area to fight in). It added an aspect of combat strategy that you don't see in most games. They kinda kept this in DS1, but it's watered down and only happens at certain angles, otherwise your weapon clips right through the wall. I can't remember how it was in DS2 but by DS3/ER the collision is all but gone; maybe your attack will bounce if you're directly facing a wall but other than that there's no interaction other than some sparks.

Yeah I agree with this. One of the first things that stood out to me in demons souls cause it was so unique.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I like the idea of shadow of the colossus but actually playing it is the antithesis of everything that I find fun about videogames. Platforming, running through vast barren landscapes, and bosses that are essentially just platformer rhythm games :thumbsdown:

I think I would've loved it if I played it new instead of decades after playing better games that took inspiration from its good parts with less of the stuff that didn't work.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Khanstant posted:

I think I would've loved it if I played it new instead of decades after playing better games that took inspiration from its good parts with less of the stuff that didn't work.

nah

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I don't think anybody has ripped off Shadow of the Colossus properly, not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I keep forgetting they gave SotC a complete rear end remake. How was that?