Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gey muckle mowser posted:

I rewatched Lake Mungo last night, I saw it back when it first came out and didn’t really get it, and I’m still not sure I fully understood this time either. I read it as something like Alice’s family was oblivious to any signs of what she was going though before she died, and basically still are now that she’s a ghost? Why did she bury her stuff at Lake Mungo? Was that another “they should’ve realized something was seriously wrong” moment or does it mean something else?

I think the meaning of the movie is pretty simple; when someone dies it leaves an absence that is felt like a presence, and there's always going to be questions that can't be answered because the only person who could answer them isn't there. All the more fantastical stuff is either metaphorical depiction of that or just spooky stuff to make the movie spooky and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

gey muckle mowser posted:

I rewatched Lake Mungo last night, I saw it back when it first came out and didn’t really get it, and I’m still not sure I fully understood this time either. I read it as something like Alice’s family was oblivious to any signs of what she was going though before she died, and basically still are now that she’s a ghost? Why did she bury her stuff at Lake Mungo? Was that another “they should’ve realized something was seriously wrong” moment or does it mean something else?

See, this is one of those things where I'd say "you got it". If a movie leaves you with intriguing questions rather than spelling everything out for you and you subsequently engaged with that, you're 95% of the way there.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Watching From Beyond for the first time and...I know this is news to no one but Jeffrey Combs is attractive as gently caress in this one.

Edit: Which is appropriate considering how goopy and horny it is so far. This rules

i too like his dorky haircut

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jeffery Combs' intensity in that film is what makes him attractive, but this is just one straight man's take on it

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I just finished The Fall of the House of Usher and yeah, it was corny as gently caress but I appreciated how it swung for the fences and didn’t hold back. It was goopy, funny, and genuinely creepy. It wasn’t perfect, but probably my favorite Flanagan. Plus I just love Carla Gugino and she ate this role up.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Anyone want to lend me a couple hundred grand?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
drat, A Blade in the Dark kicks rear end so far

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

remigious posted:

I just finished The Fall of the House of Usher and yeah, it was corny as gently caress but I appreciated how it swung for the fences and didn’t hold back. It was goopy, funny, and genuinely creepy. It wasn’t perfect, but probably my favorite Flanagan. Plus I just love Carla Gugino and she ate this role up.

The corniness was great and made the whole show. Flanagan came in wanting to shoot bullets at opiod companies and hit every single trope along the way so why not do that with horror too? This also came after Succession so everything seems done before.

The acting was killer across the board. Great cinematography. Carla Gugino deserves some sort of award she was amazing.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ruddiger posted:

Just realized hbo max only has the rated version or Jason Goes To Hell, I hope whoever it was that watched it for the first time watched the unrated version instead.

That was me (or at least I just did too) and I watched the hbo rated version. I’d say it’s an actually bad film. Not the worst film I’ve ever seen by any stretch, but not great.

And I’m a fan of Jason takes manhattan

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm pretty sure the unrated version only has the uncut death scenes, it doesn't restore any of the forty-five minutes or so that may have explained the stupid story a little better. Though looking at the rest of the film I doubt it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I caught a few minutes of Day of the Dead on some random cable network last night and it had all the gore blurred out! Why would a network get the rights to a movie like Day of the Dead if they're gonna do that to it? Who wants to watch it like that?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the good version of Jason Goes to Hell does exist, and it's called The Hidden

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Honestly had no clue they still did stuff like that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When watching Friday the 13th movies I can still remember exactly where the "edited for television" cuts used to be because I used to catch them on WPIX and USA. And occasionally you'd get alternate takes like in Final Chapter where Tommy is showing Rob a guillotine instead of a monster puppet.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I have to share it whenever tv censorship comes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcKBcZzGdA

This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

When watching Friday the 13th movies I can still remember exactly where the "edited for television" cuts used to be because I used to catch them on WPIX and USA. And occasionally you'd get alternate takes like in Final Chapter where Tommy is showing Rob a guillotine instead of a monster puppet.

That’s where I watched those flicks back in the day. USA and I think spike? They used to have interstitial of Jason running a marathon during their Friday the thirteenth marathons

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Hausu Usher posted:

I have to share it whenever tv censorship comes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcKBcZzGdA

This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps.

This is one of my friend's favorite shirts.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
In Final Chapter they muted "gently caress" but didn't replace it with anything, so the entire movie Crispin Glover is mad that his friend is calling him dead.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Halloween was on AMC the other week for the anniversary, with The Last Drive-In wraparounds. It was simulcast on Shudder. The only problem is they blurred the boobs and cut some deaths! C'mon!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not strictly speaking horror (or is it ~*spooky) but I want to thank the denizens of the Horror Thread for convincing me to give MouseHunt another go, after it (inexplicably?) scared me shitless as a child. It's great fun, looks great, sounds great, is filled with character actors I love and has some killer lines. "I can't live like this! There's no air in the middle class!" I genuinely can't imagine a modern kid's film having anything like this. Or a contemporary one tbh.

Anyway this is great.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the good version of Jason Goes to Hell does exist, and it's called The Hidden

yeah The Hidden loving rules.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love that everyone involved with Jason Goes to Hell still insist that they hadn't even heard of the Hidden despite some shots being practically identical. It's insane.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Medullah posted:

This is one of my friend's favorite shirts.

I would buy and wear this shirt.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Back when the Sci Fi channel was called Sci Fi and not Sy Fy or whatever but like 20 to 25 years ago they would show tons of Friday the 13th film marathons. Good times watching those.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love that everyone involved with Jason Goes to Hell still insist that they hadn't even heard of the Hidden despite some shots being practically identical. It's insane.

New Line Cinema released both as well.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Back when the Sci Fi channel was called Sci Fi and not Sy Fy or whatever but like 20 to 25 years ago they would show tons of Friday the 13th film marathons. Good times watching those.

that’s the era when I first caught a glimpse of the Killer Klowns as a scaredy-cat preteen :)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jack Shoulder directed this, famous for not realizing anoes 2 was gay af. Maybe they were paying homage to being dumb lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i used to know a guy who knew Jack Sholder (director of The Hidden & Nightmare on Elm Street 2), i should've asked him about this

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Nightmare 2 thing is a bit different because plenty of people involved swore for decades that they never noticed any subtext or innuendo, only to switch to "Oh yeah, I knew that was there all along" within the last ten or fifteen years. At the very least since the documentary came out.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I'm reading through the IMDB trivia for Freddy vs. Jason and this cracked me up:

quote:

One unused script featured Jason driving a Subaru

I think it's because of the specific brand. Only a Subaru will do for a death elemental like Jason

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't know why Jason walking along the bottom of the ocean for miles is okay but I found myself about to say "Jason driving a Subaru is ridiculous"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I feel like Jason would know how to ride a bike, but I just don't think its realistic for him to drive.

Very strong opinions about this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

this book about all of the many unproduced drafts of Freddy vs. Jason going back the entire like 15 years it was in development hell is pretty good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If you worked for New Line they would read your spec scripts for free, I had a couple work friends who pitched Freddy vs Jason scripts. From what I heard, there were a poo poo load of pitches.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Michael Myers can drive a car, it’s canon. Freddy can at-least drive a bus and also turn into a car. I don’t think I want Jason to drive though he can ride sidecar.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I hope the context for Jason driving the car was in the final stinger. The teens that survived are out on the lawn trying to calm down, reassuring each other that Jason is finally dead, and suddenly a car slowly drives down the street and parks across from the teens. Zoom in on the driver and it's JASON!

Jason Voorhees will return in: Jason XVI: License.... TO DRIVE!!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay hear me out. License to Drive movie from the 80s with Corey Haim ,but instead of Corey Haim it's Jason and he's a teenager.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

jason getting off a bus at a greyhound station

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

WeaponX posted:

Michael Myers can drive a car, it’s canon. Freddy can at-least drive a bus and also turn into a car. I don’t think I want Jason to drive though he can ride sidecar.

Freddy turned into a motorcycle, not a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SIDS Vicious posted:

jason getting off a bus at a greyhound station

jason and jack reacher sitting next to each other on the same bus

(that one's for all the jack reacher fans out there)