Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
i saw some kind of midsize mom-suv with back window banner that had a huge GME and less huge TO THE MOON taking up the whole window, this was when i was still doing delivery so at least 18 months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CrypticFox posted:

That's wasn't necessarily a crazy investment choice though, thinking that the popularity of Pokemon Go would positively impact other Pokemon products made by the Pokemon company was pretty reasonable. Not sure if it did, since the Pokemon Go craze ended up being pretty short lived, but that doesn't mean the investment choice was crazy.

the highs of the craze might be gone, but its floor is still surprising not that low?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Chief McHeath posted:

i saw some kind of midsize mom-suv with back window banner that had a huge GME and less huge TO THE MOON taking up the whole window, this was when i was still doing delivery so at least 18 months ago

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So this starts off as normal WSB/legal advice stupidity, I'll only include the relevant bit because most of it is just basically the poster being shocked that lawyers are expensive.

Is my attorney ripping me off?

"OP" posted:

I’m attempting to sue an investment brokerage for what is essentially investment fraud. They sold my stock without asking for consent, leading to a $380k loss. This was not related to margin; my account was not verified yet, and I hadn’t submitted my personal info for resubmission.

So yeah, normal WSB guy loses a bunch of money BS. However, in the comments OP said something I am pretty drat sure means he's suing a brokerage because his BBBY shares disappeared lol

quote:

The reason the brokerage shut down the trade seems to be an unclear reckoning of fiduciary duty based on unverified identity. This was all market trades, and I was going to receive new shares for a company that was being reorganized, so my old shares were nearly worthless.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

wilderthanmild posted:

So this starts off as normal WSB/legal advice stupidity, I'll only include the relevant bit because most of it is just basically the poster being shocked that lawyers are expensive.

Is my attorney ripping me off?

So yeah, normal WSB guy loses a bunch of money BS. However, in the comments OP said something I am pretty drat sure means he's suing a brokerage because his BBBY shares disappeared lol

You can tell they are being extremely careful not to mention that they are an ape because then people would say that the outlook is bad, and in ape world, people saying the outlook is bad makes the outlook worse.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

istewart posted:

This is a truck I saw last year in Madera, the middle of nowhere in central California

$CAM

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Despite having watched the Dan Olson video a couple times, reading the ape subreddits is still a massively surreal experience.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

A Strange Aeon posted:

I always wonder why there aren't more privatized playgrounds, since at least part of the year or on bad weather days, an indoor playground with special extra stuff seems like a good proposition for parents. And a decent birthday option. Staffing would be minimal, the parents themselves would provide supervision and you could have a little coffee shop or whatever attached for grown ups to hang out in while the kids play. And sell kid snacks of course.

I live in a town of about 100k people near the San Francisco Bay area. The place to take the kids were two competing businesses that did the same thing as each other. An air conditioned warehouse space where they laid astroturf and set up 5 to 8 giant inflatable bouncy houses and toddler areas with big foam blocks and wood wall mounted puzzle type things. $5 per kid per hour. There were some pinball machines and massage chairs. They sold sodas and candy and what not and offered birthday packages that were 2 hours for up to 10 kid guests. They provided pizza and drinks. It was around $200 if memory serves. Both of them were about 2 miles from one another. Both had been around for at least a decade. The moment Covid hit and they shut neither ever returned. One of them still will rent and deliver bouncy castles for private parties but that's it.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Despite having watched the Dan Olson video a couple times, reading the ape subreddits is still a massively surreal experience.

they're all masochists, heavily into findom

they can only climax when their bank accounts are overdrawn

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

OMG you people were right, Rite Aid is bankrupt! Time to liquidate everything I own so I can buy stocks!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cruft posted:

OMG you people were right, Rite Aid is bankrupt! Time to liquidate everything I own so I can buy stocks!

No don't liquefy anything! People can steal liquids easy. Just slurp it all up! People are mostly liquids, it's the perfect crime!!!

Solidify everything and bury it somewhere safe!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
r/BBBY is rolling out some slightly more aggressive moderation to address trolling and brigading of the sub, but one response to the changes stands out:

an ape posted:

Thank you, but I think the sub would do well to delete users who are CONSTANTLY making negative predictions about the stock, and who obviously HATE the stock, rather than strictly only banning users who are abusive or rude.

Just because you ban abusive people doesn't mean the bulls on the stock will want to come here.

Surely a sign of a healthy, not-echo-chamber community.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I mean sure if they want to circle around a stock that has been delisted and cancelled have at it.

When will the fat lady actually sing for these folks?

E: the good news here is that they cannot throw more money into the furnace or convince others to do so.

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 16, 2023

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

PP show subreddit highlights from today:

It's Geoffrey, the Toys R Us mascot's birthday today., and that might mean something.

There is excitement that Ryan Cohen posted on X (he was responding to a GameStop customer about a preorder issue).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Big rear end On Fire posted:

When will the fat lady actually sing for these folks?

it's not over until the mods sticky a thread with the details for suicide hotlines

not even joking, that probably will happen eventually

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

E: the good news here is that they cannot throw more money into the furnace or convince others to do so.

how long until they come up with the idea that if they send ryan cohen money directly it will count towards new stocks in Gmerica/teddy?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

BBBY was not the beginning of feeding this furnace and it won't be the end, I doubt many people whose initial exposure to the MOASS myth was with this stock will let their efforts end here. There's always another verge-of-bankruptcy company to chuck money at until the door slams shut.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's kinda funny the money from these people probably mostly ending up in the hands of short sellers. In a way. When I don't think about the lives being destroyed.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Serious_Cyclone posted:

BBBY was not the beginning of feeding this furnace and it won't be the end, I doubt many people whose initial exposure to the MOASS myth was with this stock will let their efforts end here. There's always another verge-of-bankruptcy company to chuck money at until the door slams shut.
Learning the concept of goal displacement was huge for me in thinking about why groups of idiots never seem to go away, even though goal displacement on its surface has nothing to do with groups of idiots per se. One person can learn her/his (usually his) dumb ideas had no merit and possibly reflect on them and be wiser as a result; a group of people with the same dumb idea will inevitably have a newer, dumber idea introduced for them to all glom onto once it becomes apparent the old one is false.

Granted this concept probably has a different name entirely when applied to groupthink granted

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

how long until they come up with the idea that if they send ryan cohen money directly it will count towards new stocks in Gmerica/teddy?

Look, this road has already been paved by audiophile culture.

The next step is to sell either outright fabricated stock certificates (physically printed, obviously), or some sort of accessory to add magic to the certificates you already own. Say, a plastic baggie filled with polished pebbles that you can tape to the stock to increase playback fidelity. Er, to increase clarity of the conduit to Ryan Cohen.

They could even print in big bold letters on the fake certs "FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY - NOT AN ACTUAL SHARE", but if they are able to tie in some sort of mythos about how these fake certificates are physical proof of the shares you once held in a brokerage account before they vanished, and how you can use them later to assert the claim on your GMerica stocks, I bet they'd sell a lot.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 16, 2023

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Apes seem to think they can keep dying companies running (and go to the moon, etc. etc. etc.) just by buying stock, but do companies ever actually use proceeds from stock to fund business operations rather than it just going into investor pockets?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Dr. Quarex posted:

Learning the concept of goal displacement was huge for me in thinking about why groups of idiots never seem to go away, even though goal displacement on its surface has nothing to do with groups of idiots per se. One person can learn her/his (usually his) dumb ideas had no merit and possibly reflect on them and be wiser as a result; a group of people with the same dumb idea will inevitably have a newer, dumber idea introduced for them to all glom onto once it becomes apparent the old one is false.

It's amazing how the entire philosophy of apedom is predicated on "those evil hedgies are running companies into bankruptcy to feast on their corpses with short positions!" and then when BBBY goes bankrupt it switches to "all part of the plan, working in the shadows, the NOLs are worth their weight in gold, bullish!" Like literally the thing they waste their time and money on every single day to fight just happened to BBBY but this time it's different because reasons?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

Apes seem to think they can keep dying companies running (and go to the moon, etc. etc. etc.) just by buying stock, but do companies ever actually use proceeds from stock to fund business operations rather than it just going into investor pockets?

Any stock these guys are buying is being sold by other investors so the company isn't going to make anything. Shockingly, they are delusional.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mercury_Storm posted:

That's complicated. With the approval of existing investors (through the board), companies can issue new stock to raise capital, diluting existing shares. This isn't commonly done because healthy companies tend to reinvest profit into future plans or take on debt to finance big projects.

That debt is often backed by an instrument known as a preferred share, which gets prioritized payout in bankruptcy over a standard share.

If the debt is paid, the preferred goes away, if not the investor the investor can convert to regular shares at a fixed value and sell.

That typically means in the real world buying stocks and raising the price can hypothetically create liquidity as the stock price is used to calculate how much of this kind of debt is "too risky" by bond dealers.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Companies can issue new rounds of stock to fund operations, however, so it's not like it's pointless for a company to have a good stock price.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

cruft posted:

you loving bastards! you have brought a goddamn curse upon us all! /s

apparently they're going out of business because of all the opioid lawsuits filed against them :lmao:

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Mercury_Storm posted:

Gamestop made bank off the meme craze when it printed new shares at $80.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Boxturret posted:

lol

I love that logic,

"Look how much the butterfly stands out, its hard to look at, its searing in to my eyes, it must mean something, why else would they do that?"

"Dude, its a frame of a video."

also the classic "the only reason a company can fail is shorts"

so wait, are these morons all QANON logic now. like gently caress man, you might as well as a plush toy for investment advice and then sit their and listen to multiple toys scream at each other over portfolio choices while your wife quietly packs the kids in the car.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so wait, are these morons all QANON logic now. like gently caress man, you might as well as a plush toy for investment advice and then sit their and listen to multiple toys scream at each other over portfolio choices while your wife quietly packs the kids in the car.

They at one point were absolutely sure that something awesome was going to happen because in an announcement on a billboard in front of a building in Time Square, in one of the windows of the building behind the billboard, you could almost see something that you could kinda force yourself to believe was a teddy bear.

QAnon logic is too close to real logic to describe these people's thought patterns.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Take the insane cultlike character of qanon and throw in a unhealthy dose of sunk cost fallacy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neito posted:

They at one point were absolutely sure that something awesome was going to happen because in an announcement on a billboard in front of a building in Time Square, in one of the windows of the building behind the billboard, you could almost see something that you could kinda force yourself to believe was a teddy bear.

QAnon logic is too close to real logic to describe these people's thought patterns.

i mean i see my uncles qanon poo poo and its basicaly assassins creed for chuds.

but yeah this seems like just trying like stupid insanity. like i am not an investment fincial guy and i am poo poo with money, but this poo poo seems insane.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Neito posted:

QAnon logic is too close to real logic

Let me just stop you right there.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

In theory yes - it's one of the core ways of raising money, the other being borrowing it as a loan. But that's issuing new shares rather than having existing shares being traded between individuals.

In the UK, cash from issuing shares is specifically not distributable so you can't just pay it out to your shareholders. I assume the US and any western economy has similar types of protection?

Of course you can still fritter away the money on say ludicrous salaries for the board, complex share option fuckery, etc...

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

bbby people are way less interesting than qanon

with qanon you'll get "israel invaded the us through the canadian border in order to fight secret chinese forces" while bbby has "ryan cohen teddy bear"

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Oh, there’s crossover. Plenty of Qanon posts about teddy revealing the hidden evils and everyone being part of the sekret plan.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

mega dy posted:

PP show subreddit highlights from today:
There is excitement that Ryan Cohen posted on X (he was responding to a GameStop customer about a preorder issue).

the more you know, or something? :stonk:

blows my mind how every little thing MUST BE connected to their fantasy stock

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

AMC also issued new shares specifically to extract cheap money from idiots, then use that money for repaying their existing loans

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

onesixtwo posted:

the more you know, or something? :stonk:

blows my mind how every little thing MUST BE connected to their fantasy stock

At one point they were claiming the whole billionaire submarine was a sacrifice by the billionaire cabal to distract the public from the impending short squeeze. Also the whole Israel Palestine issue was manufactured to distract from their shares. Also pretty much anything in the news.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

When it rains do they think its the hedgefund's weather control satellites attempting to cause floods to drive them from their homes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Boxturret posted:

When it rains do they think its the hedgefund's weather control satellites attempting to cause floods to drive them from their homes?
Rain
Rain falls the sky
That means stocks are going to fall
GET READY TO BUY THE DIP BOYS