Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

I need something like this so badly on PC/Deck. I have so many hours of Mario Golf/Golf Story played.

Just play Golfinite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Is Steam Rom Manager really as much of an absolute pain in the arse as I’ve been finding it or have I just been doing things wrong?!?!

I’ve created parsers for the various consoles and parsed it shows all the games but the vast majority have artwork for the wrong platform or default to no artwork meaning I have to go through and manually change them all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I personally love using that decky plugin to pick out artwork

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hbag posted:

the "game mode" gui is literally just big picture mode

Big Picture Mode is literally game mode without all the fixins :colbert:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah use the SteamGridDB plugin to find artwork, SRM pulls from there too but it's way easier when you can see all the options in one place.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Just play Golfinite

Oh poo poo yeah, I haven't seen this before. Thanks!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thirsty Dog posted:

Just play Golfinite

:wow:

This is just golf story with the serial number filed off? If so, I’m very OK with that

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Restarted FF7 Remake on my Deck, Cloud's hair is pretty fuzzy but it can do a solid 40fps+ in combat. 8 seconds to load in from the main menu compared to PS5's 1.5 seconds and PS4's 40-50, so I consider that pretty excellent!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boarding a red-eye from Toronto to London shortly. Wonder if I’m going to stay up all night playing games, or get some sleep…

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

True champions accrue thousand hour playtimes because they fall asleep playing

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Looks like I'm going to have to RMA my Deck, so the first step is to get my printer going for the first time in a year, which means fixing whatever was wrong with it that it was easier not to print anything for a year than to deal with it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The strongest among us use a macro so we never get kicked out for being AFK, while being very AFK

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Beve Stuscemi posted:

“Me? Oh yeah…I had about 200 hours in Act 1 of BG3.” :smugdog:
“I didn’t think there was that much to do!”
“Oh, I was asleep for most of it!”

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Rand Brittain posted:

Looks like I'm going to have to RMA my Deck, so the first step is to get my printer going for the first time in a year, which means fixing whatever was wrong with it that it was easier not to print anything for a year than to deal with it.

If getting the RMA required me to get my printer to work properly I think I would just deal with whatever fault the deck had at the moment.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Rand Brittain posted:

There's plenty of places you can email a document and pay by the page to print.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Panfilo posted:

If getting the RMA required me to get my printer to work properly I think I would just deal with whatever fault the deck had at the moment.

Or go to a library or Kinko's or something.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

https://www.theverge.com/23642073/best-printer-2023-brother-laser-wi-fi-its-fine

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh, huh, I sure do.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Rand Brittain posted:

go to the library.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, I wasn't really asking for technical support so much as commenting on exactly what it takes for me to bother fixing a printer in 2023, but that does kind of look like exactly what I want out of a printer.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's the printer I have and here's the highest praise I can give an appliance: I literally never think about it. On the rare occasions I need to print something it does its job so reliably and efficiently that I almost immediately forget that it exists. It's the complete opposite of every other printer I've owned.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Party Boat posted:

It's the printer I have and here's the highest praise I can give an appliance: I literally never think about it. On the rare occasions I need to print something it does its job so reliably and efficiently that I almost immediately forget that it exists. It's the complete opposite of every other printer I've owned.

:same: but it’s the printers at work.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So I finally got Xbox 360 emulation working and it's still very iffy. PGR4 has a very stuttery framerate, Banjo Nuts and Bolts has some real painful hitches in places when loading data in, and Viva Pinata's shop menu is unplayably broken and also it crashed when trying to load a Sparrowmint romance dance. Also the battery drain is brutal, I might get 60-80m of Viva Pinata from a full charge and that is not enough Viva Pinata.

I should see if I can get the PC version working on the Deck...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I still go into the office a couple times per week and steal printing services there.

Has anybody tried the deep rock galactic roguelike demo? I haven't gotten around to it on PC either yet.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I used a cheap anker dock with my deck for a bit, but it got damaged and i sprung for the offical valve deck dock instead.

Its kinda bad tho? Having a lot of issues with the thing.

For reference the anker dock would work even without power, you could output to a tv just off the deck's battery.

The valve dock seems to need a power supply to work. Additionally despite passing power through to the deck it didnt like it when i tried to connect my deck at low battery, had to leave it charging for a bit before it would connect.

For the price im glad it came with the power supply. The stand is nice but disapointing that its more agrevating to use than the cheap usb c hub i broke.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I realize this is yelling into the void but god drat windows is annoying on a handheld.

I started playing StarDew Valley again and is annoying AF that on the windows device I have to make sure to get to the end of the day and save then quit the game before "sleeping" the device.

On the deck I can just sleep the fuckin thing and pick up where I left off.

I really like My Ally for a lot of reasons but windows is just the worst.

Yeah sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t which is weird. Even weirder is Xbox actually has probably the best version of suspend in any console I’ve ever seen - suspends multiple games at once and you can flip between them

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also real life use case - I’m on the first vacation in more than a year and I’m traveling around with flights and trains. 13 hour flight, 1-2 hour trains and very couple of days and living out of suitcase. I didn’t bring my switch at all - tried just the ROG. Long flights seem to have enough power in the seats to keep turbo mode going, trains generally don’t but are short enough it’s over soon anyway.

When the device completely loses internet stuff goes funny. Steam games keep working but it’s a huge tossup if anything else does.

I haven’t really used my gaming pc in more than a year so it’s cool to get through the backlog of stuff I started. Never finished my disco elysium save ! Like any good handheld downloaded a bunch of roguelikes for it, 30xx is really cool so far.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh lovely despite buyng it on steam sonic superstars wants me to login with an Epic account? How annoying.

Edit: oh apparently you can skip the login if you spot a tiny x up in the corner lol. It locks you out of the online multiplayer stuff. Great don't care about that at all.

Edit2: hah you have to modify the default controller layout to include mouse input to even interact with the login screen which helpfully obscures the game until you can get rid of it. Great first impression having the animated intro play out behind an uninteractable login prompt lol

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 17, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah that was really bad lol.

Excellent Deck game though, I'm very happy with it despite the Epic shenanigans.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t which is weird. Even weirder is Xbox actually has probably the best version of suspend in any console I’ve ever seen - suspends multiple games at once and you can flip between them

the xbox does that by running each game in an isolated VM which isn't something you could easily graft onto the existing PC ecosystem

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The Xbox also doesn't do it reliably, I've had all sorts of issues with it over the past few years and its a common complaint online. Definitely not something to rely on.

I've only had one issue with suspend on the Deck and it was due to the FFVI Pixel Remaster just being buggy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

works perfectly on my xbox except if the game is constantly calling home with an online connection, which makes sense. i've had games suspend for months and work straight away. it's great.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Quick resume is magic and I’d kill for that to be standard on every platform.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

There's no economic incentive for a company to make resumption work correctly unless they're compelled by force. Phone apps were designed from day one to be suspended, terminated, and then restarted where they left off from day one and yet they routinely lose their place because everyone involved is incompetent, understaffed, and rushed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quick resume is pretty cool on consoles but games also load so loving fast now that it’s mostly just a neat party trick instead of a killer app.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

some games still load slow as balls. RDR2 is a good example. way faster using quick resume than booting it and loading a game

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

History Comes Inside! posted:

Quick resume is pretty cool on consoles but games also load so loving fast now that it’s mostly just a neat party trick instead of a killer app.

It was amazing on switch (my first exposure to it) and just as much on deck. It removes barriers from getting into a game and makes it easier to pick up and put down in short spurts where I wouldn't have even bothered starting a game in the past. Great for dad gamers. :v:

Consoles it is good too. It's how I play most things on PS4 but really fucks you when the power goes out. Which is all the time here.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

There's no economic incentive for a company to make resumption work correctly unless they're compelled by force.

yeah, same reason why the switch can seamlessly change resolution when you dock it and the deck can't, that's only really feasible when games are required to support it and not allowed to ship until they get it right

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

repiv posted:

yeah, same reason why the switch can seamlessly change resolution when you dock it and the deck can't, that's only really feasible when games are required to support it and not allowed to ship until they get it right

I both wish for full in-game steam controller support, and also realize why that shouldn't be enforced.

But goddamn is it refreshing when a game goes all-out for the deck. The main non-valve example is No Man's Sky. The UI, different controller modes for different aspects of the game; it's done extremely well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have a dock for my Steam deck, and every time I connect to it the main SD display turns off and only shows the monitor. I looked through settings and can't seem to find an option to mirror or extend the display and leave the main monitor on (I have it sharing my main monitor and would like to have it docked but still do updates and such without swapping the input back and forth).