Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

I believe they were offered contracts when they were folded into the Russian army. Also, Wagner was pretty methodical in reality about how they conducted operations.

But human waves!

Frosted Flake posted:

I keep going back and forth on this because it's in their interest to cry bloody murder if Russia targets electrical substations attached to tank repair depots come this winter.

But airplane waves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Things that the British fear the most: CQC shovels and shrubbery.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Ukraine - Israel has asked the United States for $10 billion in emergency military aid

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/israel-has-asked-the-us-for-10-billion-in-emergency-military-aid-report/

Israel has asked the US for $10 billion in emergency military aid — report
Today, 5:15 am

Israel has asked the United States for $10 billion in emergency military aid, The New York Times reports, citing three officials familiar with the request.

The aid package is currently being put together by Congress in coordination with the White House and will also include funds for Ukraine, Taiwan and the US-Mexico border, according to NYT.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said during a visit to Tel Aviv on Sunday that US lawmakers have discussed providing Israel with replacement ammunition for the Iron Dome missile defense system, precision-guided bombs, JDAM kits to turn standard bombs into precision munitions and 155-millimeter ammunition.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Yellen says it’s fine so, mint the coin

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Ukraine - Israel has asked the United States for $10 billion in emergency military aid

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/israel-has-asked-the-us-for-10-billion-in-emergency-military-aid-report/

Israel has asked the US for $10 billion in emergency military aid — report
Today, 5:15 am

Israel has asked the United States for $10 billion in emergency military aid, The New York Times reports, citing three officials familiar with the request.

The aid package is currently being put together by Congress in coordination with the White House and will also include funds for Ukraine, Taiwan and the US-Mexico border, according to NYT.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said during a visit to Tel Aviv on Sunday that US lawmakers have discussed providing Israel with replacement ammunition for the Iron Dome missile defense system, precision-guided bombs, JDAM kits to turn standard bombs into precision munitions and 155-millimeter ammunition.

'Strange, that 155-millimeter ammunition promise ring Israel has looks a lot like my pro-.. where's my promise ring?' - Zelensky

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

Alright, if Russia says the Ghost of Kyiv was real, maybe the ace combat anime hero pilot was real.

I still think it was a myth.

Ukraine and western media have all confirmed that he's real. Where are your doubts coming from? Just from the story being too absurd to be real?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Like what part are we saying is or isn't real

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Isizzlehorn posted:

'Strange, that 155-millimeter ammunition promise ring Israel has looks a lot like my pro-.. where's my promise ring?' - Zelensky

Sorry, buddy, you got a regular Great Ring that corrupts you into a Nazgul, not The One ring. True again next time!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
baba boey

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

israel!

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
one thing these so-called "analysts" are forgetting to take into account is that halloween is soon. the ghosts of kiev and bakhmut are growing stronger by the day as the spooky season approaches. with only 3 days of ammunition remaining, old russia might just be in a bit of a pinch!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

What about this: of the ghost of Kiev is real, America blew up nordstream

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
from the last chapter of "The Myth and Reality of German Warfare"

additional context for this passage:

Johann von Kielmansegg: "[f]rom 1942 to 1944 he served as General Staff officer to the High Command of the Wehrmacht (OKW)."
Ulrich de Maiziere: "took part in the Invasion of Poland and Eastern Front, as an aide to General Adolf Heusinger."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
breaking this up into a second post, but again from "The Myth and Reality of German Warfare", as it talks about how Heusinger made plans for West Germany's defense under NATO and the Bundeswehr

I spit out my drink at this passage. We've been posting about this idea of Manstein's "backhand blow" worming its way into NATO/Ukraine war analysis over and over since March 2022, and the reason why it keeps coming up is that the loving thing has been embedded in NATO war planning from the very beginning!

dk2m
May 6, 2009
seems like things are not going in adveevka, is the trench grind just inherently favoring the defense now? or is there something unique about Adveevka that is letting Ukraine pummel theb advance?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Isizzlehorn posted:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

dk2m posted:

seems like things are not going in adveevka, is the trench grind just inherently favoring the defense now? or is there something unique about Adveevka that is letting Ukraine pummel theb advance?

it's hard to say what's going on there other than Russia is taking the same methodical approach they used for Bakhmut.. there were comparisons at the time to the progression of the Russian battle of Bakhmut and the speed of a land snail but once Russia got the battle shaped to where they had fire control over the supply routes it didn't last too much longer despite Ukraine's best efforts..

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Move over Australia with your disposable cardboard suicide I mean messenger drone, Russia has you beat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNMmA1RW78o

It's made of foam. A foam UAV. According to the propaganda that makes it cheap and transparent to EW systems. Don't look at me, I didn't test it.

I look forward to a bold new era of many ack-ack gun positions becoming part of the order of battle. Bring back cupolas on everything. Everything! Yes including ships.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

breaking this up into a second post, but again from "The Myth and Reality of German Warfare", as it talks about how Heusinger made plans for West Germany's defense under NATO and the Bundeswehr

I spit out my drink at this passage. We've been posting about this idea of Manstein's "backhand blow" worming its way into NATO/Ukraine war analysis over and over since March 2022, and the reason why it keeps coming up is that the loving thing has been embedded in NATO war planning from the very beginning!

The Soviets and the East Germans really would have just completely rolled NATO without nukes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Move over Australia with your disposable cardboard suicide I mean messenger drone, Russia has you beat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNMmA1RW78o

It's made of foam. A foam UAV. According to the propaganda that makes it cheap and transparent to EW systems. Don't look at me, I didn't test it.

I look forward to a bold new era of many ack-ack gun positions becoming part of the order of battle. Bring back cupolas on everything. Everything! Yes including ships.

i dunno can i use it from a kayak?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
lol at the UAV with a red cross painted on it

like common who are you kidding

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BULBASAUR posted:

lol at the UAV with a red cross painted on it

like common who are you kidding

No no they're health fire missiles, they make you better

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

dk2m posted:

Avdiivka has been on the frontline since 2014 and it is supposedly even more heavily fortified than Bakhmut was. As the Russians demonstrated over the winter and the Ukrainians demonstrated over the summer, there just isn't a fast way to break through modern defenses unless you have overwhelming superiority, which neither side has.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

dk2m posted:

We can't say for certain. Russia is very casualty averse and is still try to do "economy of force" on the war. Urban warfare has always been an awful difficult grind, this is why Soviet doctrine was to, whenever possible, not do offensive urban warfare. Just encircle the city with enough troops to keep the enemy from breaking out and then bypass it with the rest of their army. I don't know if Russia has enough troops to do something like that and even if they did, what could the army take that would cause the Ukrainian state or military to collapse? Because of these factors, Russia seems to be dedicated to a positional warfare strategy. NATO military guys always poo-poo attritional/positional warfare but positional warfare can work out well if you have the better position.

On the defense on the other hand, the Soviets did consider urban warfare in a defensive sense. They built their cities sturdy. From the tunnel network under Azovstal in Mariupol to the salt mines under Bakhmut and connected to the adjoining urban areas. I don't believe Adveevka has a tunnel network, just a large number of deep basements and fortifications built since the start of the war in 2014.

As to Ukraine pummeling the advance, I won't believe it until I see a lot more evidence. Ukraine has been pummeling Russian advances for 20 months now, 20 straight months of continuous Ukrainian victories over Russian forces. I expect Avdeevka will turn out to be the same kind of situtation. Adveevka will be another Bakhmut-style victory for Ukraine. They'll eventually lose the city but claim that they inflicted 10-1 casualties on the Russians, then Ukraine may then need another round of mobilizations.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/Ramy_Sawma/status/1713784313152414169

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The combined economic and industrial might of The West [tm] in a proxy war and there we have it.

We're with you to the end. Also this is the end, okay thanks bye.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - A days-long attempt by Russian forces to storm Avdiivka, a strategically important city in eastern Ukraine, appears to be running out of steam.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f081db094842cf6

Russian assault on Avdiivka reported to be weakening
2h ago
07.04 BST

A days-long attempt by Russian forces to storm a strategically important city in eastern Ukraine appears to be running out of steam, Kyiv officials said on Monday.

Ukrainian forces repelled 15 Russian attacks from four directions on Avdiivka over the previous 24 hours, the Ukrainian general staff said. That compared with up to 60 attacks a day in the middle of last week, according to Vitalii Barabash, the head of the city administration. The slackening suggests the Russian effort to capture Avdiivka has “deflated”, Barabash said.

A Washington-based thinktank broadly concurred with that assessment. “Russian forces continued offensive operations aimed at encircling Avdiivka … but have yet to make further gains amid a likely decreasing tempo of Russian operations in the area,” the Institute for the Study of War said in analysis published late on Sunday.

Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations, Vassily Nebenzia, told a UN security council meeting last Friday that the ramped-up attacks in the east amounted to a new stage in Moscow’s campaign in Ukraine.

With the looming onset of wintry conditions that will limit military operations, both sides have been seeking battlefield breakthroughs that could invigorate their efforts and raise morale.

Ukrainian officials have said their troops are holding out against fierce Russian efforts to wrest control of Avdiivka, a heavily fortified city.

Avdiivka lies in the northern suburbs of the city of Donetsk, in a region of the same name that Russian forces partially occupy. Avdiivka’s location grants Ukrainian forces artillery advantages over the city and could serve as a springboard for them to liberate Donetsk.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

why is Mearsheimer doing zoom call interviews with Italian mobsters

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

why is Mearsheimer doing zoom call interviews with Italian mobsters

johnny four-oblasts made him an offer he couldn’t refuse

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
judge napolitsno for judging freedom 🇺🇸

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Eyy it's Zaporozhya not Zeppole-zhya! Ohh!!!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Good news for fizzy: everyone is finally onboard with a wonderful bit.

fizzy posted:

Talks to enhance the European Peace Facility (EPF), the EU’s funding mechanism for sustaining European military supplies to Ukraine

Lol

Slavvy posted:

Wagner aren't/weren't conscripts, afaik the Russians have never used conscripts offensively in this war at all. Idk whether the DNR/LNR militia are conscripts or not.

You are a 100% correct I have no idea how that word came out of my tiny brain. I think there were some conscripts involved in the initial invasion type period but it almost seemed like a mistake.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

snip

I just started giggling to myself while getting to the end of this because it sounded like an actual joke being written in front of me. Thanks for posting these, they're wonderfully illuminating.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

KomradeX posted:

The Soviets and the East Germans really would have just completely rolled NATO without nukes

Love to base my doctrine on battletested and proven to be failures ideas.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean during WW2 how much heavy lifting did the Western allies do in reality? The Germans were overstretched with weak supply lines in North Africa, Southern Italy fell because there was almost no one guarding it, and Normandy occurred when they were dealing with a far larger offensive on the Eastern Front.

For the US: Vietnam, Iraq (1/2), Afghanistan, Kosovo, Libya etc were all ridiculously uneven fights.

I don't think the ridiculous over-concentration on airpower would have worked versus Soviet air defenses, and on the ground NATO was far too spread out. The US would have lost cold feet if it meant that Soviet ICBMs would be slamming into North America. Northern American liberals didn't want to die for Europe.

Really, the West' power comes from misdirection and buying the leadership of countries to turn them against their own populations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also loving bananas and Levi jeans apparently.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Really, the West' power comes from misdirection and buying the leadership of countries to turn them against their own populations.

really just the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Also loving bananas and Levi jeans apparently.

Granted, a lot of that is just propaganda from our side, not that Soviets didn't want them, but it really looked their the Soviet agricultural system was destroyed from within in 88-89. You could see it was due to reforms, but there were so many inexplicable things that there had to be foul play at some level.

If you starve people they will usually go for pretty much anything. Bananas and Levis were the justification, but people just wanted some bread at that point.

Zodium posted:

really just the latter.

All of it also takes massive gaslighting. Less than 2 years ago, if you said about Western armies/Israel what people are saying now, you would have been laughed at as a complete nutball.

People in DC are really really good at lying to people. It is the foundation of how this whole system exists, or otherwise it would fall apart. Most Western militaries at this point couldn't even put down their own populations. They literally don't have the shells.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:22 on Oct 17, 2023