Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
can't wait to read about funny crimes in the Diary of a Shrimpy Kid series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

gschmidl posted:

I wonder if Brady is at all deflated about his involvement.

Who can say?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/06/technology/tom-brady-crypto-ftx.html

quote:

His money was also at stake. As part of an endorsement agreement Mr. Brady signed in 2021, FTX had paid him $30 million, a deal that consisted almost entirely of FTX stock, three people with knowledge of the contract said. Mr. Brady’s wife at the time, the supermodel Gisele Bündchen, was paid $18 million in FTX stock, one of the people said.

e:

quote:

On top of it all, the terms of the deal would have required the former couple, who divorced last year, to pay taxes on at least some of their now worthless FTX stock,

:laffo:

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 17, 2023

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Sam Bankman-Fried - Allowing Mr Bankman-Fried - whose powers of persuasion once moved billions of dollars to his side - to speak for himself may be among the best options left.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67125913

Will Sam Bankman-Fried take the stand to save himself?
Published
8 hours ago

Lawyers for former crypto billionaire Sam Bankman-Fried have asked for him to get increased medication to address his ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) so he can better focus on his ongoing trial and possibly testify. As he faces a long prison sentence for defrauding investors, could he take the stand?

To many watching the proceedings, the signs increasingly point to yes.

The 31-year-old is being tried on seven federal charges including wire fraud, securities fraud and money laundering after the collapse of his cryptocurrency exchange left thousands of FTX customers short by billions of dollars. He denies all charges.

It's widely accepted that the first two weeks of trial have been close to disastrous for him.

A parade of former friends, staff and business colleagues have testified that Mr Bankman-Fried took money from FTX for his own purposes, while his team has struggled to undermine their story.

"It clearly appears because of how poorly this case is going for him... that he views taking the stand as necessary if he hopes to win an acquittal," said Jacob Frenkel, a former federal prosecutor and partner at Dickinson Wright who has been following the trial.

On Monday, it was the turn of Nishad Singh, a childhood friend of Mr Bankman-Fried's brother, who said he had complained repeatedly about Mr Bankman-Fried's lavish spending on investments, marketing and sports sponsorships and felt the company, intended to be a force for good, ultimately became "evil".

Mr Bankman-Fried's lawyers have drawn admissions from customers that they did not read the terms of service and established that his friends often failed to voice objections at the time. They've said Twitter posts were taken out of context.

But the team is wrestling with some of the decisions made by Judge Lewis Kaplan in the lead-up to the trial, which limited their avenues of defence.

Those rulings included restrictions on what witnesses could appear and to what extent Mr Bankman-Fried's lawyers could introduce evidence that investors and customers were negligent.

Allowing Mr Bankman-Fried - whose powers of persuasion once moved billions of dollars to his side - to speak for himself may be among the best options left.

Typically attorneys advise against their clients taking the stand, worried about potential damage inflicted by prosecutors' questions or whatever impression jurors might take away independently.

But there are instances when defendants do take the stand, notably Elizabeth Holmes, a once celebrated tech tycoon now serving time in prison for fraud and conspiracy.

Government prosecutors have said they are on track to wrap up their portion of the trial by 27 October, when Mr Bankman-Fried's team presents its side of the case.

David I Miller, a partner at Greenberg Traurig and a former assistant US attorney in the Southern District of New York, said putting Mr Bankman-Fried on the stand was a "very risky proposition" - especially given his own comments on the case and the testimony of the cooperating witnesses.

"There's a real opportunity for the government to attack the defendant's credibility and to undermine any intent-related defence that's being argued on his behalf," he said.

The defence only needs to plant doubt in the minds of the jury, a 12-person cast, with six back-up alternates. The group includes a high school librarian, a commuter rail conductor, a paediatric nurse and a retired investment banker.

Given Mr Bankman-Fried's repeated willingness to speak to the press - even after he was charged - and his stomach for gambling when the payoff is big, many expect him to take his chances.

That speculation increased after his lawyers raised the possibility in a letter on Sunday requesting that he receive increased access to Adderall for his attention deficit disorder.

"As we approach the defense (sic) case and the critical decision of whether Mr. Bankman-Fried will testify, the defense has a growing concern that because of Mr. Bankman-Fried's lack of access to Adderall he has not been able to concentrate at the level he ordinarily would and that he will not be able to meaningfully participate in the presentation of the defense case," lawyers Mark Cohen and Christian Everdell wrote.

Judge Kaplan on Monday showed little sympathy, refusing to delay trial to address the issue.

What Mr Bankman-Fried makes of it all remains hard to know. He has spent most of his hours in court shielded by a laptop, which was granted to him, without internet access, for note-taking.

While his lawyers can advise him about what to do, the decision will ultimately rest with him.

With decades in prison a possibility, this may be his biggest personal bet yet.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

koolkal posted:

in non-sam-related court cases, matt linked a funny story today:

lol. this is why you only expense things if it's with a fellow employee, a client or if it's for something you could plausibly have had yourself e.g 4-6 beers.

"There is no policy breach here boss, I am simply a binge drinker"

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

do an A/B test. let him testify without drugs and then completely zooted.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol. this is why you only expense things if it's with a fellow employee, a client or if it's for something you could plausibly have had yourself e.g 4-6 beers.

"There is no policy breach here boss, I am simply a binge drinker"

before Covid we used to take interview candidates to lunch at a hotel restaurant by the office because the food was good and it had plenty of options for pretty much all dietary restrictions. but this is a Chicago loop hotel so like 90% of the people staying there are business travelers. on the menu they had an Arnold Palmer for $4 or a Jon Daly (Arnold Palmer with vodka) for $8, billed as 2 Arnold Palmers

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

there's gotta be some kind of history with that guy if they canned him over travel allowances, but then again he did seem to straight up triple-down on it so it's also maybe a thing where they went in expecting him to reimburse and got the most dedicated-to-the-schtick guy in town out of sheer luck

he worked at a bank. he was fired because he repeatedly doubled down on stupid, stupid lies over nothing in writing, which is a really bad trait to have in a bank employee. had he just been like "oh my mistake i didn't know i couldn't do that" it would never have been an issue.

like i would both absolutely have tried to pull that stunt to max out my per diem, and also fired the guy after finding out he had tripled-down on lying in writing over $50.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

evilweasel posted:

he worked at a bank. he was fired because he repeatedly doubled down on stupid, stupid lies over nothing in writing, which is a really bad trait to have in a bank employee. had he just been like "oh my mistake i didn't know i couldn't do that" it would never have been an issue.

like i would both absolutely have tried to pull that stunt to max out my per diem, and also fired the guy after finding out he had tripled-down on lying in writing over $50.

honestly who wouldn't, I'm just wondering who he pissed off/what kind of rear end in a top hat he was to not have someone in his ear saying to just admit it and take the consequences.

This would include actually having such a mentor and still ignoring them I guess lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i will also admit that i wonder what he did before to have someone bother to argue about a claim that he had two sandwiches and two coffees, because no one is paid enough to argue about that first go around.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
tbf I prefer to just get my per diem ahead of time and not have to worry about receipts for daily dumb poo poo

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

evilweasel posted:

he worked at a bank. he was fired because he repeatedly doubled down on stupid, stupid lies over nothing in writing, which is a really bad trait to have in a bank employee.

worked as an analyst in financial crime dept no less.
not a good look to be caught trying fraud there.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Beeftweeter posted:

lol this is pretty incredible https://www.thedailybeast.com/sbfs-lawyers-plead-for-him-to-get-more-adderall-during-trial

the trial can only continue and sam will only testify if he's loving spun, your honor

well yeah how are you supposed to spin your crimes if you're not already spun yourself? it's just part of the Quantum Physics of Criming which you can read in your local alternative supplements isle

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoot him up, there's more crimes in there I'm sure of it

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

God I really really hope SBF goes on the stand.

“I don’t understand. If the jury has to stay in the jury box, and I have to stay on the stand, how will the jury find out that I have been playing LoL the whole time I was talking to them?”

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
so, 50/50 on him spending all the time in court fighting the ai opponents(since it isn't connected to the internet) in lol and losing or writing his speech for when he goes up to speak?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Ariong posted:

God I really really hope SBF goes on the stand.

“I don’t understand. If the jury has to stay in the jury box, and I have to stay on the stand, how will the jury find out that I have been playing LoL the whole time I was talking to them?”

speaking of coinflips, if you gave me even odds on SBF taking the stand I'm emptying the bank account for "Yes".

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

*SBF goes up on the stand and unfurls a comically long scroll to read from*

People of the jury,

I hosed up.

I-*SBF is tackled off the stand by his lawyers*

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

footage of sam's lawyer's opening remark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1n3S1ZyUkE

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

just a soup and a half sandwich and a full sandwich for me
and charge it to the underhills

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

zoot him up, there's more crimes in there I'm sure of it
zoot, suit, riotconfess

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
throw back a bucket of shrimp

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

there's gotta be some kind of history with that guy if they canned him over travel allowances, but then again he did seem to straight up triple-down on it so it's also maybe a thing where they went in expecting him to reimburse and got the most dedicated-to-the-schtick guy in town out of sheer luck

Banks, especially large ones have policies on this. He got canned for the double down. He could have just said "oops, that's my partners" and pay for it himself - which means corporate would likely reimburse his portion only and nobody would give a poo poo.

efb

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

Chris Knight posted:

and charge it to the underhills

Sam: Do you have any shrimp?
Waiter: Si señor, carabineros, but it is 80 dollars a portion.
Sam: Well, then I better just take two portions of that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Banks, especially large ones have policies on this. He got canned for the double down. He could have just said "oops, that's my partners" and pay for it himself - which means corporate would likely reimburse his portion only and nobody would give a poo poo.

efb

Yeah owning up to it as an oversight and covering the difference is likely not even documented.

Even mildly disagreeable folks tend to have someone in their peer group who tells them this ahead of time, but start lying about it against receipts and it leads folks to question your integrity which is a great way to get fired from most roles in most banks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chris Knight posted:

zoot, suit, riotconfess

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

A lot of people don’t realize what’s really going on. They view life as a bunch of unconnected incidents and things. They don’t realize that there’s this, like, lattice of coincidence that lays on top of everything. Give you an example, show you what I mean: suppose you’re thinkin’ about doing a crime. Suddenly someone’ll say, like, ‘crime’ or ‘doing’ or ‘doing a crime’ out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin’ for one, either. It’s all part of a cosmic unconsciousness

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

well my rear end has been shown for not reading every post before posting

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol yes that was it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

gschmidl posted:

I wonder if Brady is at all deflated about his involvement.

Sam is gonna do 80 for Brady

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
years I hope

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

getting whiplash

SBF's Cohen: You said you were suicidal in November 2022?
Singh: Yes. And for a few months after.
SBF's Cohen: Mr. Singh did you ever purchase a property on an island in Washington State for $3.7 million?
Singh: Yes.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

this is good right? you want the judge to treat you like an 8-year old that tries sneaking in icecream before dinner?

https://x.com/innercitypress/status/1714348647427572152?s=20

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bank fraud (shrimp)
bribery (shrimp)
perjury (shrimp)
scamming (shrimp)
scheming (shrimp)
tweaking (shrimp)
crimes (shrimp)
crimes (shrimp)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FAUXTON posted:

bank fraud (shrimp)
bribery (shrimp)
perjury (shrimp)
scamming (shrimp)
scheming (shrimp)
tweaking (shrimp)
crimes (shrimp)
crimes (shrimp)

imagining this is a call-and-response with the jury

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
reddit shuts down their community points cryptocurrency beta program:
https://old.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/17a33ql/serious_sunsetting_community_points_beta_and/
tldr: you got reddit crypto for getting upvoted in specific subreddits. this was devastating for the quality of the already spambot-infested crypto shitholes that chose to use it. reddit wants to IPO soon and is looking at ways to monetize the site, and surprise surprise crypto really isn't it, just use actual money instead.

quote:

But why now?

As we started rolling out an improved reddit.com experience, we realized that without an outsized commitment to resources, Community Points wouldn’t migrate well to that updated experience.

Time and efforts previously spent on Community Points can now be directed to more scalable programs - like the Contributor Program - which we believe can provide value to more redditors.
predictably people have spent months relentlessly posting crypto hype articles day in day out in the hopes of a payday, and some morons bought in with real money because these things are totally going sitewide and then to the moon at some point. the price plummeted 70+% from twenty-something cents to five cents each in the hour since the announcement. you can read anger, bargaining, cope and schadenfreude from redditors in the linked discussion

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

junan_paalla posted:

tldr: you got reddit crypto for getting upvoted in specific subreddits. this was devastating for the quality of the already spambot-infested crypto shitholes that chose to use it. reddit wants to IPO soon and is looking at ways to monetize the site, and surprise surprise crypto really isn't it, just use actual money instead.

predictably people have spent months relentlessly posting crypto hype articles day in day out in the hopes of a payday, and some morons bought in with real money because these things are totally going sitewide and then to the moon at some point. the price plummeted 70+% from twenty-something cents to five cents each in the hour since the announcement. you can read anger, bargaining, cope and schadenfreude from redditors in the linked discussion

:lmao:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

FAUXTON posted:

bank fraud (shrimp)
bribery (shrimp)
perjury (shrimp)
scamming (shrimp)
scheming (shrimp)
tweaking (shrimp)
crimes (shrimp)
crimes (shrimp)

new kendrick song is fire

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

junan_paalla posted:

reddit shuts down their community points cryptocurrency beta program:
https://old.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/17a33ql/serious_sunsetting_community_points_beta_and/

ahahahha yes they are so fuckin salty about moons. What a bunch of bullshit about nothing.

crypto mods posted:

We are very disappointed in Reddit’s decision today, and want to clarify that we were not made aware of this decision until 1 hour ago.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wow reddit shut down yet another e-chucky cheese token who could have seen it coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

there's four replies in a row there that are just dozens of addresses for various news agencies?

i guess they're telling people to annoy every news channel in the country about this? lol