Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I just saw him on Supernatural

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Lmao I never realized that they recast Dr Weir between seasons.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Armacham posted:

Didn’t even try to make it close or address it in any way just straight into it. Watched those episodes last night actually.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Armacham posted:

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2021/06/jessica-steen-finally-reveals-why-stargate-recast-dr-weir/

"I just love Burning Man THAT much"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Didn’t even try to make it close or address it in any way just straight into it. Watched those episodes last night actually.

I thought they handled it pretty smoothly. Opening scene, Daniel walks into her office, addresses the new actress as Dr. Weir, and she's clearly in charge of the SGC.

And we're walking...

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Imagine throwing away a potential life long revenue stream of residuals and con appearances for burning man

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

Imagine throwing away a potential life long revenue stream of residuals and con appearances for burning man

Back when burning man was good though...

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Lmao

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Torri Higginson was a much better Weir, from day one. Frankly, a better actor. Steen's performance is flat and toneless, she played it off as if she didn't have a clue (stargate) but it came off more like she didn't have a clue (acting).

Speaking of Torri Higginson, I never got a good read on why they left the show. Some say producer pressure, Higginson seems to say she left because she was frustrated by the writers. She does have a point that the writers struggled writing for women, there's definitely a lot of dated gender politics in the show. There's the classic Carter line, but that episode of Atlantis with the all-women SG team made me cringe a bit with them constantly getting ogled by our dudebro heroes.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 18, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Speaking of wildly varying uses of the iris, Henry Boyd's team sent a signal that Sam and the unnamed intern interpreted and shifted (in milli-micron increments, Jesus wept) before opening it. And Jack even makes a crack about it, the next bang will be Henry Boyd's team!

Of course it turns out differently, but the iris just doesn't seem to be a safe device.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I figured that the iris opening sends a signal back that its safe to proceed

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You'd think, but this is not acknowledged in the show. They jump through when it's dramatically convenient.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

You'd think, but this is not acknowledged in the show. They jump through when it's dramatically convenient.

Gate travel in general raises a lot of questions. Like, for example, the gate is open, two people go through, but a third lingers behind saying goodbye to whomever; how does the gate know to stay open? How does it know when the final person goes through?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

It is, the GDO handles both the request and acknowledge signals.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

Gate travel in general raises a lot of questions. Like, for example, the gate is open, two people go through, but a third lingers behind saying goodbye to whomever; how does the gate know to stay open? How does it know when the final person goes through?

someone, usually Jack sticks his arm through to hold it open until the last person is through he does it multiple times.

Don't worry I think I remember them dive rolling and waiting for the gate to close a few times too as some staff blasts wizz overhead to prove me wrong.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

McSpanky posted:

It is, the GDO handles both the request and acknowledge signals.

Alright, but what about Henry Boyd's team? The milli-micron increment analysis seems to fly in the face of them, erm, falling face-first into the gate at the first sign of trouble.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Wow this planet independently developed the Kalashnikov rifle. Good for them.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Armacham posted:

Eventually all life evolves into crabs and all technology develops into kalishnikovs.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Owling Howl posted:

Eventually all life evolves into crabs and all technology develops into kalishnikovs.

And all languages into American English.

And all environments into Pacific Northwest forests and gravel pits.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

And all languages into American English.

And all environments into Pacific Northwest forests and gravel pits.

The episode 200 is just an amazing comedy episode, packed with jokes and meta jokes, and one of my favorites is a very small, subtle one:

At the end of the episode, when they finish by interviewing the cast of WORMHOLE X-TREME, you can see stagehands in the background moving potted pine trees.
I loved it - it's a dig at themselves for filming in the Vancouver area and all those PNW forest planets.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

The episode 200 is just an amazing comedy episode, packed with jokes and meta jokes, and one of my favorites is a very small, subtle one:

At the end of the episode, when they finish by interviewing the cast of WORMHOLE X-TREME, you can see stagehands in the background moving potted pine trees.
I loved it - it's a dig at themselves for filming in the Vancouver area and all those PNW forest planets.

I never noticed that before, but that's pretty funny. 200 is jam packed with jokes like that.

You know, I kinda wish they found an excuse to have RDA play hockey for an episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Teal'c: "I have heard of a place where humans do battle on a rink of ice"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I never noticed that before, but that's pretty funny. 200 is jam packed with jokes like that.

You know, I kinda wish they found an excuse to have RDA play hockey for an episode.

An early-ish episode they have a function at his house and after he gets upset he goes to play with his roller hockey net because he’s a 13 year old.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Armacham posted:

We call this weapon the Kha-lash N'Kov. One shot kills. Two shots also kill. Three shots kills as well. This goes on up to 30.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Alright, but what about Henry Boyd's team? The milli-micron increment analysis seems to fly in the face of them, erm, falling face-first into the gate at the first sign of trouble.

The signal analysis in that ep took so long because the black hole's time dilation was distorting the signal, usually they come through just fine? I'm not sure what the issue is here, except maybe Jack being a little snarky about the situation. (Jack, snarky? Say it ain't so!)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

apparently there's a stargate book where they eventually cobble together a thing from a bunch of alien tech and beam Boyd's team out of the black hole

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Lmao I got to the virtual reality episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4FGzE4endQ

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nvm

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Armacham posted:

Lmao I got to the virtual reality episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4FGzE4endQ

Lol same. It’s kind of a trip that this and the matrix trilogy were contemporary.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

McSpanky posted:

Teal'c: "I have heard of a place where humans do battle on a rink of ice"

He rules so much

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IIRC the graphics in the VR ep were taken from the SG-1 FPS in development at the time. Which was cancelled because MGM sucks donkey balls.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

McSpanky posted:

The signal analysis in that ep took so long because the black hole's time dilation was distorting the signal, usually they come through just fine? I'm not sure what the issue is here, except maybe Jack being a little snarky about the situation. (Jack, snarky? Say it ain't so!)

Look, if you want to get stuck in the dialing computer's hang-up signal while someone tries to not eat a lemon, that's on you, buddy :colbert:

If Henry Boyd's signal took so long to decode, it sort of flies in the face of everyone and their mate diving into the wormhole as soon as it forms.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

McSpanky posted:

IIRC the graphics in the VR ep were taken from the SG-1 FPS in development at the time. Which was cancelled because MGM sucks donkey balls.

They've wasted so many franchises

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Look, if you want to get stuck in the dialing computer's hang-up signal while someone tries to not eat a lemon, that's on you, buddy :colbert:

If Henry Boyd's signal took so long to decode, it sort of flies in the face of everyone and their mate diving into the wormhole as soon as it forms.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

COLONEL O'NEILL WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Right in the middle of my back swing

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

That’s got to be some kind of record.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

McSpanky posted:

I remember the ad for this very well, because the one before is the first episode I watched live instead of pirating. Like this next episode preview was so horrible it's seared into my mind forever. "On the next episode of SG-1 Teal'c is trapped inside a video game!"

With just these lovely graphics that were outdated even at the time. Is there a collection of all the next episode previews? I remember most being pretty cheesy unless it was a 2 parter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

I remember the ad for this very well, because the one before is the first episode I watched live instead of pirating. Like this next episode preview was so horrible it's seared into my mind forever. "On the next episode of SG-1 Teal'c is trapped inside a video game!"

With just these lovely graphics that were outdated even at the time. Is there a collection of all the next episode previews? I remember most being pretty cheesy unless it was a 2 parter.

Nah, just a single episode.

I liked it, watching Teal'c slowly give up, but even then, the game wouldn't let him die.

Those Anubis super soldiers were cool as hell.