Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

SURPRISE TASKING FOR:

El Supremo Comandante SCAD
El General del Aire Carlos - El FAP

We need an urgent decision from you.
CNS Aspirante Isanza was fired upon by a mobile silk-worm anti-ship battery at Isla Carlos III, at orange square on this map. It is just south of the site where the A-4s sunk the PLAN LSTs, so they had likely dropped these forces off earlier. The precise location of the missiles has to be discovered. The ship is okay, and avoided the missiles with both CIWS and by running back north-west.

In addition, the Americans reported through secret channels that they believe the PLAN has attempted to commandeer the radar site at Vasquez Glacier and were seen air dropping supplies there during our battle. Marked with a yellow square in the map.

You have several urgent choices to make. I expect these choices no later than evening tomorrow in real time of your local time.

CHOICE 1:

Do you wish to send a SOF team to:

OPERATION DREAMSTATE: Isla Carlos III to attempt to neutralize the silkworm missiles,

or

OPERATION OVERTURE: Vasquez Glacier to attempt to neutralize the PLAN engineers and take over the radar site

The Silk Worms are a bigger threat to ships if you attempt to push forward right now, but they can also be bombed by airpower from the same ships they threaten. The radar site will offer EWR to the PLAAF, and capturing it will offer you some deep radar coverage, even though it is likely it could soon be bombed by the Chinese. Nevertheless even a day or two of seeing Chinese jets take off from Ushuia and Puerto Williams will be helpful.

CHOICE 2:

You need to choose the SOF team for this.

It is either Lautaro Special Operations Brigade from Chile, or you can assign the 601 Air Assault Regiment from Argentina to the task. Whichever team you choose will be unavailable for some time after the operation, and in case of failure, risk its loss.

In addition, you have to get the team to their staging area. The intent is to drop a team at night on the night of the 18th February, day after our next air operation. The team will be at a secret island special operations base in west coast of Chile, near town of Chaiten. The ferry there will take the team to the island, but the team has to be brought in to the airport in the town, Aeródromo Nuevo Chaitén - SCTN. The airport is small and the approach is difficult.

Lautaro Special Operations Brigade awaits transport at Colina, in in Chacabuco Province, Chile.
601 Air Assault Rgt is at Campo de Mayo, Buenos Aires.

Make your choice, get the team of your choice to Aeródromo Nuevo Chaitén.

--------------------------------------------------

This is the Arma 3 mission we will play tying into this campaign on 22rd of October, which is the sunday one week from now.
IRL gametime is 1500 hrs UTC, that is 1000 central time, and 0900 eastern time.

The commander's choice will affect the unit and the target area.
The game will be in an uninhabited mountainous island as close as possible to the chosen AO, but we have to abide by some limitations due to finding the right type of map in Arma 3. There will be roads on the map which do not exist in real life, so in our alternate universe, both of these islands received a small number of access roads to facilitate the movement.

In addition the radar site does not exist in real life, but is marked on our google map, and will be represented as such in Arma 3. It likewise has access roads around the glacier that do not exist in real life. Dunno, I guess Chile got busy sometime in early 2000s in some island building.

These sites will be modeled on the DCS map too, and so whichever you wish to attempt bombing will be available to bomb in the game world.

The team leaders will receive the appropriate maps of the zone to facilitate navigation in Arma3.
In Arma 3, the teams will have compass and some will have GPS, but they will not be able to see themselves on the map.
Signups for Arma mission will go up as soon as the commander decides the team and AO.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Venom 1 Flight AAR

Flight Members:
Venom 1-1 | Bear
Venom 1-2 | Zeph1rum

Mission: CAP

Kills:
Venom 1-1: 3x MiG-21
Venom 1-2: 3x MiG-21

Expenditures:
Venom 1-1: 2x AIM-120C, 2x AIM-120B
Venom 1-2: 3x AIM-120B

Losses:
None

Overall Venom flight had a very successful mission with six enemy fighters destroyed and zero losses. Minimizing losses was very important from a strategic viewpoint, as we are the only Blue unit capable of carrying the AMRAAM missile.

The highest enemy air threat, the J-11, did not make an appearance today. However, the enemy MiG-21 pilots were numerous, and employed devious tactics to make up for their lack of long range missiles. They used their innate high speed to close quickly with Blue planes, forcing chaotic furballs. This tactic confused our onboard IFF and data-links, and often prevented long-range missile shots due to the risk of fratricide.

Fuel quickly became a limiting factor in our flight today. We used with the default mission loadout, which had a single center-line external fuel tank. Despite deliberately conserving fuel by flying at max endurance air speed while on the CAP orbit, and minimizing the use of afterburner, both Venom fighters were forced to divert to Rio Gallegos due to low fuel. We should take external wing tanks on our next mission, which would considerably increase our staying power.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 15, 2023

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sprinfield 1 Flight AAR

Flight Members:
Springfield 1-1 | Arbitrary
Springfield 1-2 | Xeno426
Springfield 1-3 | Stranger

Tasking: Strike bridge Gualichi

Weapons Employment:

Springfield 1-2 | Xeno426

Springfield 1-3 | Stranger

Springfield 1-1 | Arbitrary

Mission: Accomplished

Losses: None
Manpads were fired at each member to no meaningful effect. Mindful use of limited flares allowed our goose to remain indisputably raw.

Comments:
Fairly good positioning. Overextension would have put us in range of optically guided surface to air missiles.

Manually aimed weapons are tough enough to get on target without being shot at, yet we were able to succeed.

Communication seemed sufficient. No one got lost. No one was a liability.

Room for improvement: I should have called out to the ABM the helicopter I saw on egress, might have been able to tag it with a S530F.

Bonus video. Apologies for the head shaking due to VR.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...916503b8ecccd5&

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Do I pull G's? no sir, I'm married
The Long Afternoon War - Mission 1 - Pontiac 2 AAR

Flight Members:
Pontiac 2-1 | Prime
Pontiac 2-2 | Lumme

Tasking: TARCAP
Kills: 2x J-7
Losses: Pontiac 2-2 | Lumme
Expended: 3x Super 530D, 2x Magic 2

Summary :words:

Engagement 1
We departed Rio Turbio for a TARCAP orbit over an eastern leg of the straight of Magellan. After passing WP1 we were assigned to 262.00am MHz for control from Buzzard. Shortly after hitting WP2 we were vectored to two hot bandits South, we acquired on radar at 40nm and got NCTR returns consistent with Chinese J-7, we sorted targets for me to take the front, and wingman would take rear bandit.

I launched a fox 1 (Super 530D) at 14nm, which achieved the first kill. Lumme launched his fox 1 at 12nm, his missile tracked but the bandit appeared to notch the shot forcing a miss, Lumme followed up with a fox 2 (Magic 2) at 4nm that the bandit successfully defeated with flares and forcing an overshoot. We attempted to reacquire, while unaware Panther 1 were on top of us and had already taken it.

Engagement 2 + Loss of Pontiac 2-2
I requested an updated bandit BRA from Buzzard who relayed targets 12nm SW; I assumed this was our missing bandit from the previous engagement, but in reality was a fresh pair of J-7's. A furball ensued with 3 Panthers, Pontiac 2-2 and the two bandits, during which time Pontiac 2-2 was hit from behind with an R-60.

Engagement 3
I had ended up on the far side of the furball and acquired a bandit at 7nm, unaware this was yet another fresh set of bandits I launched by second Fox 1 which the J-7 managed to jink, before my follow-up shot the bandit was splashed by Venom 1-2 | zerph1rum.

Engagement 4
After a couple of minutes ABM had another couple of bandits, 20nm East. I was limited to fox 2 missiles and was forced defensive by the lead bandit, who was then splashed by Venom 1-2. After recommitting on the second bandit we came within 4nm when I saw a launch and was forced defensive, after defeating the missile I managed to take a high aspect fox 2 shot and secure the kill

For the remaining mission; I continued TARCAP as long as I could before hitting fuel issues; erring on the side of safety, I requested a vector to nearest friendly airfield and ended up taking the landing at Rio Gallegos. The ground crew rolled out an uncharacteristically English welcome for me and pissed in my cockpit out of protest; not looking forward to the ferry flight back to Rio Turbio..

What went well?
Lots of action, a couple of kills, very quick responses from ABM.
  • (Game) performance was really good! a little chuggy once I landed, but otherwise buttery.

What could have gone better?
  • A couple of system foobars on my behalf.
  • One downside of having split flights between managers was that we were oblivious of what the F-16's were doing and often ended up mixed in the same fights; I can see a lot of Fox 2's flying around which makes me a bit nervous. If we're operating in the same area it'd be good to be on the same channel, or if that was not intended I'd suggest we'd benefit from more separation between flights not on the same freq to avoid mishaps.
  • (Game) Not sure what difficulty the AI were on by they were doing some pretty madshit manoeuvres to defeat missiles that really should have been a kill (not a complaint, just an observation)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Best practice wise, should we have traditional CAP right ontop of TARCAP? What does one add vs the other? In theory, CAP wasn't vectored onto targets TARCAP was on and vice versa, but once duo's of unknown enemy contacts started going every which way it was pretty hard to tell who was on what.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
If there’s enough space you can position a BARCAP out in front of the objective with a TARCAP over top of it as a backup. Another idea is to pre-designate “lanes” and each CAP flight is responsible for their own lane.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

If there’s enough space you can position a BARCAP out in front of the objective with a TARCAP over top of it as a backup. Another idea is to pre-designate “lanes” and each CAP flight is responsible for their own lane.

In this case that would put our CAP over enemy SAMs and very close to their launch airfields, but is this feasible? With SEAD?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Supremo Comandante SCAD
General del Aire Carlos - FAP

Camaradas! You performed very well in our first day of operations against the chinos. However there's still much to do to defend our land.

quote:

The 9th Mechanized Infantry Brigade "Comodoro Rivadavia" finished mobilization last night and departed Comodor Rivadavia on a road march with heavy equipment transporters. It is currently passing the town of El Salado on highway 3. It is is missing ammo, but is able to travel some 300 miles on roads still before it runs out of fuel. Where should this brigade head to? Towards Tierra del Fuego, or Punta Arenas AO? Or stay in reserve. In addition, where do you intend to supply it with ammunition before combat, and how? What about fuel?
Additional troops shall be joining us soon. The Comodoro Rivadavia Brigade is heading to Puerto Gallegos to refuel and shall be resupplied with more ammunition at Bolsa de Tenencia.

quote:

The Chilean president, Michelle Bachelet, has a son, Juan Antonio. The President's son is the current Mayor-in-Exile of Punta Arenas, and also a member of the Legislative Branch. He requested a meeting with you and informed that since you are a Peruvian fighting on Chilean soil, you have to honor Chilean requests. Mr. Antonio states that he wants Punta Arenas to be your next goal both publicly and planning-wise to not cause loss of face for him. He makes it clear that he is demanding you prioritize re-capture of Punta Arenas, and that if you agree to do so, he will be able to secure foreign support. He informs you that you have a few hours to think about and he expects your answer.

In real world timewise, you have 48 hours, until this time on monday two days from now, to decide where your next Area of Operations for the DCS gameday will be, and as such, where the mission will focus. You likely need your Army and Navy and Air Force heads to weigh in, so that's why you have this real world time. The operation will be LORETIME morning of 17th Feb, 2010. In real world it will be 21st October, 2023.
Regardless of what the mayor thinks and wants, I think we can all agree that our next step is indeed Punta Arenas. Tomorrow we shall commence offensive operations in the Punta Arenas AO. In a few minutes I'll let him know about this, I'm sure the pendejo will be happy as a perro. The situation there is tough, we gotta keep the supplies and reinforcements coming to them and for that we must guarantee Ruta 255 is safe for them to pass through. However that road is under attack by enemy artillery, probably launched from the other side of the Strait, around Puerto Sara. We need a ground attack mission early tomorrow to protect our supply route on Ruta 255.

quote:

CNS Aspirante Isanza was fired upon by a mobile silk-worm anti-ship battery at Isla Carlos III, at orange square on this map. It is just south of the site where the A-4s sunk the PLAN LSTs, so they had likely dropped these forces off earlier. The precise location of the missiles has to be discovered. The ship is okay, and avoided the missiles with both CIWS and by running back north-west.

In addition, the Americans reported through secret channels that they believe the PLAN has attempted to commandeer the radar site at Vasquez Glacier and were seen air dropping supplies there during our battle. Marked with a yellow square in the map.
Me and my fellow commanders agree that Operation Overture is the best decision. We can't let the opportunity pass to seize the radar site. A ground attack mission shall get rid of anti-ship missiles on Isla Carlos III while special forces operate the radar site close the Glaciar Vasquez.

The Lautaro Spec Ops Brigade will be departing from Santiago Airport (SCEL) on a FACh Boeing 737 and head to Chaitn (SCTN). There, a ferry will take them to their staging area. A Hercules will take them to the AO near Glaciar Vasquez and perform a :sicknasty: HALO insertion.

That will be all for now. We still have time for suggestions and opinions, though I strongly feel we should act on Punta Arenas now. Don't hesitate to holler.

Arriba, siempre arriba

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 15, 2023

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Elendil004 posted:

In this case that would put our CAP over enemy SAMs and very close to their launch airfields, but is this feasible? With SEAD?

Can’t put a CAP orbit inside an enemy SAM engagement zone. In that case you’ll need to take it out first.

Are the enemy airfields really that close to the front lines? If so, it would make more sense to bomb them.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

:siren: CHEVY FLIGHT STILL HAS A SPOT FREE. SIGN UP YOU DINGUS. THE SU25T IS FREE. THERE ARE HARDLY ANY CONTROLS TO LEARN FOR THIS MISSION. THIS TUTORIAL DOES IT IN SEVEN MINUTES. OUR DISCORD IS FULL OF DORKS WHO WILL SET YOU UP! :siren:

Chevy Flight Mission 1 After-Action-Report

Objective: Suppress enemy air defense at Povenir
Result: Success

What happened during the mission:
* Took off from Puerto Natales
* Engaged HQ-16 (Chinese SA-11) SAM site at Povenir, destroyed search radar and several other units using double KH-58
* With the radar gone, the launchers were unable to touch the AO
* Provided SEAD near the front, claimed 2 HQ-7 sites plus surrounding units (only one of them showed up in report)
* Without an A2A-radar, situation wat the frontline was chaotic. I thought about hunting down helicopters, but practically my entire RWR was filled up for most of the time near the AO
* Considered attacking convoy or PLAGF units with 2 laser missiles, but due to the clouds I would have had to search targets firmly in range of MANPADs which I knew operated in the area, also fuel concerns

Claims:
* HQ-16 search radar + surrounding units
* HQ-7 + surrounding units
* HQ-7 + surrounding units (claimed; unconfirmed)

Losses:
* If AI counts: some of them ate missiles, and I think I saw another guy crashing into the suburbs of Puerto Natales on final
* Popped nose wheel tire on landing -- blinded by low-hanging sun, lost sight of airspeed, approach got unstable and I manhandled the nose wheel as a result

Points I liked:
* Had to make a judgement call based on rough geography whether I was seeing hostile or friendly units, guessed right -- good result
* Decision to bring extra SEAD missiles paid off

Points of improvement:
* Can't be overstated how much less situational awareness a SU25T has when it is operating between CAPs
* Loadout wasn't optimal. Had no use for A2A missiles since situation was too chaotic and couldn't afford to loiter anyhow, could have better used fuel tanks --> need to more closely coordinate with the ABM and Strike boss what I can do

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 15, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Zulu Team - Autorifleman

Communications frustrations aside, mission was successful, no man left behind. We were able to remain undetected on ingress. There were some close calls. No friendly fire.

- Select media from various members -

Zulu engaging a Mi-8 dropping off a squad:

:siren: On egress I was able to pull a paper map and GPS from a downed PLA officer. Hopefully there is some usefull intelligence on these. :siren:

As Swimmer Canoeist Arbitrary got back aboard the HMS Agincourt, the captured items from the PLA officer were handed to the ship's intelligence officer.

The ship's XO kindly request that Swimmer Canoeist Arbitrary also turns in the firearm and the personal effects of the fallen PLA Officer.

As the maps and various GPS and BeiDou devices are brought out of the bag and wiped clean of blood, it becomes clear that there is something different here. The intelligence officer logs on to his terminal to check something.

"South-West Angola? Why there?" he mutters. "Odd place."
Suddenly, he looks up and yells at HMS Agincourt's XO. "Get the captain, I need to show something to her!"

"The captain's asleep" the XO replies.

"I don't care, I need her".

As the sub's captain finally appears, she is handed the maps.

"Wake up all the officers!" she yells.

The submarine's officers gather around the maps.

After murmurs and some deliberation, the captain yells

"Set course 0-3-0, speed two-thirds!"

Helm responds by stating "Ahead two-thirds, maneuvering zero-three-zero aye"

The HMS Agincourt sails north.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vahakyla posted:

As Swimmer Canoeist Arbitrary got back aboard the HMS Agincourt, the captured items from the PLA officer were handed to the ship's intelligence officer.

The ship's XO kindly request that Swimmer Canoeist Arbitrary also turns in the firearm and the personal effects of the fallen PLA Officer.

Only the maps and GPS made it back to the boat. You think because I'm a machnegunner that I love hauling around extra weight?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

General Humberto,

The enemy pushes throughout the night of 15th-16th were strong. The frontline offers very little cover and is mostly flat grassland with minor hills and some sunken roads. The brigade is engaged in heavy fighting, and is currently holding. However, with the dawn of the 16th, we saw significant enemy air support over the AO. While they have so far not managed to cause significant losses among friendly armor, they are making resupply and battlefield movement extremely challenging. The infantry has to take cover at sunken roads under napalm, while the scarcely few air defences require constant resupply.

This is the view at Rancho Doimo, the current forward supply point for the brigade:

Here are some pictures I took with my iPhone 3G of the enemy while riding on one of the Leopard 2s.

I watched a J-7 get shot down by a Chaparral shortly afterwards.

The current situation is desperate. I'm currently looking at the map and receiving reports of PLAGF pushes flanking us towards Laguna Verdana.

Ernesto Juan Michel
Colonel, commanding
4th Armored Brigade
Ejército de Chile

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 16, 2023

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

The Long Afternoon War - Mission 1 - Pontiac 1 AAR

Flight Members:
Pontiac 1-1 | Prawned
Pontiac 1-2 | BlueNexa

Tasking: TARCAP
Kills: 4x J-7
Losses: Zero
Expended: 3x Super 530D, 2x Magic 2

Summary:

We departed Rio Turbio and proceeded to our assigned TARCAP orbit between Waypoints 1 and 2, intended to provide air cover for the A-4 Skyhawks assigned to strike the enemy fleet.

Immediately upon reaching WP1 we were vectored onto a pair of J-7s coming in low and fast. Fortunately we had climbed to ideal engagement altitude of 30'000ft and were able to down the first J-7 without difficulty via Super 530D. The second bogey managed to evade radar lock initially, but we were able to dive on him and eliminate the target with a single Magic II.

We then returned to orbit altitude of 30k and on to WP2, when we were soon vectored onto another pair of J-7s. The engagement played out much the same way, with both Pontiac 1 Mirages firing their Super 530Ds down onto the enemy, resulting in one bogey splashed but again the second J-7 was able to beam and dodged the SARH missile. Bogey 2 then manoeuvered onto tail of Pontiac 1-2 before firing a missile - BlueNexa skilfully deployed her countermeasures and evaded the missile, before I was able to come around and fire a Magic II which successfully strike the final J-7.

The area quietened down as we returned to our CAP patrol, before eventually returning to base with textbook landings. An excellent first mission and great success, pictures to follow in due course.

Congrats to BlueNexa on her first campaign mission with AirGoons, engaging the enemy and returning in one piece! As a special honour, she was able to engage and down Deadseed (an experienced F-16 pilot) in a pre-game warmup bout :captainpop:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Pilots I am very pleased with all of you, super glad to hear no one died and needed to be replaced by their identical twins - and you all had fun. Promise I will do some plans tomrrow and try having cool maps and poo poo. Being in Aus means when you guys were running the ARMA mission I was out at a festival and when you were flying I was uh sleeping it off.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

Me and my fellow commanders agree that Operation Overture is the best decision. We can't let the opportunity pass to seize the radar site. A ground attack mission shall get rid of anti-ship missiles on Isla Carlos III while special forces operate the radar site close the Glaciar Vasquez.

The Lautaro Spec Ops Brigade will be departing from Santiago Airport (SCEL) on a FACh Boeing 737 and head to Chaitn (SCTN). There, a ferry will take them to their staging area. A Hercules will take them to the AO near Glaciar Vasquez and perform a :sicknasty: HALO insertion.

Very well, decision made.

Operation Overture will be the attempted seizure of the radar site on the Vasquez Glacier, and the team will be the Lautaro Special Operations Brigade.

Your Air Mobility officer has to get the them from Chacabuco Province, Chile. They're a the Fuerte Arteaga in town called Peldehue. The ferry will be expecting them at SCTN airport.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 16, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Supreme commander, as journalist for El megelleno, can I ask you for your personal assessment of the operation and the general situation? I will definitely not quote you out of context.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

--------------------------------

Brigadier General Humberto,

Your logistics base is safe. It wasn't bombed. Neither was your RORO-Ferry nor the terminals, but it is obvious some MiGs got close! The SAMs, as requested, are deployed there and you probably saw them shoot at MiGs during the gameday. The logistics base now receives constant trucks from further north, but it does also need resupply of communications and medical equipment. Please figure out replenishing those urgently.

The Argentine Army held its line, and even initiated some pushes at Tierra del Fuego. The PLAGF lines immediately gave in along highway Y-79 as the Armored Cav and Military Intelligence recon troops prodded enemy lines. The scouts report to you that they believe they could be near a potential deeper push. Your Military Intelligence Unit reports the POWs are from PLAN Marine Infantry.

The bridges, as you requested, are destroyed. The forward supply convoy is also degraded. This side of the AO will hold for several days easily now as you dig in along the river Rio Oscar. One of the Argentine battalions, Mech Inf Rgt 24, 11th Mech BDE, suffered heavy losses, but is still operational. It got beaten during bridge defence before the F-16s bombed the bridge.

General of the Combined Armies, CSAD

Tierra Del Fuego AO

I'd like to start by commending the heroic actions of the ARA 11th Brigade for their bravey and sacrifice in holding the line at Tierra del Fuego. Despite dire odds, the troops held out long enough for our compadres in the air forces to drop the bridges and disrupt enemy supply lines, and thus give them some relief from a week of extremely hard fighting. I'd like to give our troops in the 24th Infantry Regiment a well-earned rest. They are to fall back to the Brigade supply depot at Franco Bianco airport and catch a days R&R. I'd also like to have the top brass evaluate having in some replacement personnel flown in to Rio Gallagos from the mobilization efforts to replenish this regiment on an urgent priority basis before our next air ops day, and have them come in via the RORO ferry or via UH-1H to fill-in the absences left by our fallen brothers.

Once they've had their brief reprieve, they are to advance to the positions that our daring recon and MI units managed to push along, and help them continue in their probing actions in that direction. I don't want them to overcommit however, but only continue their recon by fire until they strain their own supply train or face a large enemy effort. The gepard at Franco Bianco is to move with the infantry regiment to take the heat off from the MI-8's.

The other infantry regiment is to continue digging in on HWY 257, and prepare sandbag fortifications, fox holes, barbed wire, and other field entrenchments to harden themselves against the inevitable push from the PLAGF.

The tank regiment is to coordinate with the mechanized engineers to develop suitable hull-down firing positions on each bridge. The freshly re-supplied artillery unit is hereby ordered to advance near the tank regiment, and bring to bear withering fire on the PLAGF supply base and the backed up supply lines. Once a Huey or a spotting drone has confirmed widespread destruction by the artillery, they are to then focus their efforts on the remaining PLAGF armored units on the other side of the bridge.

If anyone has any feedback or out of the box ideas for the Tierra del Fuego axis, I'd love to hear it. Next, we turn our attention to the Punta Arenas axis... [Supply and recon requests, logistics, and the response to the situation on the Punta Arenas AO in next post later today]

Seamos libres, que lo demás no importa nada!

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 16, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio
South American Combined Armada

Congratulations all on the tough-fought successes during the recent combat operations. The destruction of the PLAN surface warfare and landing ships in the western AO have destabilized their offensive near Punta Arenas, and given us a much-needed opportunity to strike back against the invaders. Our A-4 Skyhawks, with the much-appreciated assistance from M2000C Mirages, were quite successful. While one naval aviator (Ford 2 flight lead Jerik) was forced to eject after suffering a last-minute hit from a sinking corvette, they were immediately picked up by the sailors aboard the CNS Aspirante Isaza and a fleet helicopter has been dispatched to return them to the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo. In addition, the CNS O'Higgins has netted a successful kill of a PLAN frigate in the southern AO, while the NAel Minais Gerais reports that rapid resupply will allow them to soon join the war.

However, the fight continues in the Western AO and ground forces in particular have sounded the alarm. We need to give them our support. I have marked the following maps with a variety of points, with red indicating priority targets. As naval intelligence suspected, PLAN Marines have occupied the Whale Sound Eco Camp on Isla Carlos III (W2) and are establishing a Silkworm anti-ship missile site there. They have also moved a naval frigate into the area with both MEAD and anti-ship capability (W4). This has slowed our interdiction offensive, and presents us with a strategic dilemma. While Isla Carlos III (W2) merits an immediate air strike by A-4s, followed by occupation of the region with our own Chilean marine forces, the navy also needs to choose between assisting the beleaguered ground troops on Punta Arenas or pushing our way into the enemy supply route. If we split off some of our frigates from our carrier, we can secure Isla Carlos while also either pressuring the Magellan Strait in a SUPPLY ATTACK or sailing through the Jerome Channel and offering direct FIRE SUPPORT. We are quite close to their Magdalena supply line and might be able to successfully blockade it and force a realignment to defend Port Harris. On the other hand, with a 19 km / 10 nmi bombardment range our Condell and Leander frigates could enter the Otway Sound and provide overwhelming artillery support against the PLAGF mechanized brigades that have virtually no terrain cover in the "Ankle" of Punta Arenas. I will order our Argentinean P3 Orions to RECON west of the battlefield in the hopes that their intelligence will illuminate the situation.

Additionally, PLA forces at sites designated W3, W5, and W6 merit consideration by the wider SCAD community. The radar site (W3) has been targeted for a special forces assault, and once taken it should provide us with critical SIGINT. The artillery site (W6) is threatening ground reinforcements and resupply along Ruta 255 and merits immediate attack in order to allow those troops to move. And finally, while the Buk MEAD system (W5) was damaged it was not destroyed - though the threat is reduced for now, air command will need to gauge whether a follow-up strike can be authorized at this time.

W1: Three PLAGF Brigades at Punta Arenas
W2: PLAN Silkworm missile site at Isla Carlos III
W3: PLAN Air radar site at Vasquez Glacier
W4: PLAN Type 054 Frigate with MEAD
W5: Damaged PLA Buk SAM
W6: PLAGF Artillery Site

In the Southern AO, the submarine CNS O'Higgins was successful in sinking an enemy frigate and is currently avoiding surface contacts. I advise them to seek the depths of the continental shelf, and then continue HUNTING southeast along the PLA supply route (S1). Hopefully their presence will assist in interdiction efforts farther to the north, while also acting as a tripwire against any naval offensive from the PLAN 2nd Fleet (S2).

S1: Magdalena Channel Supply Route
S2: PLAN 2nd Fleet

To the Eastern AO, the rapid refitting of the NAel Minais Gerais carrier fleet will soon provide us with additional options to pressure the PLA forces. The initial strategy was to use the submarines ARA San Juan and Tikuna, in coordination with the Brazilian fleet, to pin the Chinese fleets against the Islas Malvinas and prevent them from assisting their ground invasion. However, the recent actions conducted by the British may have offered us new opportunities to go on the offensive. If we wish to maintain the pinning strategy of the fleet in being, we should order the Brazilians east in a NAVAL RAID. This option does not necessarily mean an air strike, but rather by positioning our fleet within striking range of PLAAF Mount Pleasant (E3) - no longer protected by the Green Goose radar station - we will force a reaction or punish them for indecision. Alternatively, we can sail the fleet south and perform CLOSE AIR SUPPORT of the Argentinean army forces protecting Tierra del Fuego (E1). With the PLA forces in the east already on the back foot, this may be a good opportunity for a CAS strike against the Mi-8s and PLAN Marine brigade operating along the coast. If so, the ARA San Juan should sail east and quietly INVESTIGATE the location of the PLAN 1st Fleet (E2), and if not then it should continue its HUNTING mission. Hopefully the Brazilian Air Force P3 Orion mission will provide intelligence that will assist in this decision.

E1: PLAN Marine Brigade at Tierra del Fuego
E2: PLAN 1st Fleet
E3: PLAAF Mount Pleasant Airbase

«Irse a pique antes que rendir el pabellón!«

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 17, 2023

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Lord Stimperor posted:

Supreme commander, as journalist for El megelleno, can I ask you for your personal assessment of the operation and the general situation? I will definitely not quote you out of context.

Our soldiers successfully defended their foothold in Tierra del Fuego and I'm really proud of all of them. We're dealing with a formidable invader but, as invaders, they're not familiar with our land as we are. We have our continent's best on our side doing our utmost to expel them and we also can count on support from allies from abroad. Not to mention we are striking hard at their naval and air assets in other regions to cripple their support capability.

Our defenders in Tierra del Fuego should have an easier time holding their ground after we completed our objectives and now we can focus on reinforcing the front line close to Punta Arenas. The fate of our continent rests in this city and we'll fight relentlessly to liberate it. We just ask the Puntarenenses to hold on a bit more and be sure that help is coming.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

You sit down at the kitchen table.

What a day. There was a mighty ruckus in town yesterday. Jets just kept flying and flying and flying, early in the morning. The noise was loud enough to raise the dead. Radio warned not to drive South. Not that you'd have wanted to anyhow.

Your wife and the kids are staying with relatives in Lima. You stay behind. Someone has to take care of the house. And it's going to be mighty cramped in their apartment, anyway. They seem to be having a good time, though. You can phone them every day, and they even care packages with photos and snacks. Seems that the kids are just treating it like a big adventure. Good. You miss them though. And they miss you. That stings a little.

Turns out one good thing about having a big military base in your neighbourhood is that supply problems get solved by magic. Jorge at the shop might not be able to always pick and choose what he wants to stock, but his shelves are full again. You guess that corrupt shipping companies are a lot less likely to scam customers when those customers can come knocking with guns in their hands. And at least for now you don't have to worry about someone stealing the tires or the fuel from your car. For now you can stay. If poo poo really does hit the fan you can hop in the car, take the neighbours and their dogs, and get out of dodge.

And maybe all this will be over soon, you think as you read the news. What was that saying? "You can fool all people some of the time and some people all the time. But you can never fool all people all the time." Or something to that effect. This world war is crazy and those madmen who are marching armies across the globe eventually have to run out of fools that keep them propped up. Right? Right?

You take another bite out of your care package cookies. There are ups and downs in your life. Tomorrow might be a downer, but today definitely isn't. So, you put down the newspaper and shut your laptop. You put on a jacket and step into a mild Arctic summer breeze.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
DCS Mission 1 Springfield 1-1 view, plus after action review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGDORhheVFs

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Combined Air Combat Command – SCAD

Pilotos, on this day you – each and every one of you – has done not only your homes proud and your families proud; you have done your nation proud and all nations of South America. Excellent show, take a moment to feel that pride – objectives achieved no losses!
Good had a moment? Sorry señoras y señores this is a war. We have tomorrow to worry about now.

(Next section with attribution of much content to Vahakyla and goon Ice Fist)

Flight leads, listen up. Obviously, some of you are vets and have been in the sky for years, but many of your wingmen are green – some had their first combat flights only today. For everyones benefit we’re going to go through some key ideas and strategies to each flight is operating at peak efficiency.

In your Pre-Flight checks please ensure:
  • Everyone in your flight has the correct radio frequencies and is tuned in on SRS.
  • You give clear instructions about payload. It is up to you to determine how many bombs, how much ammo, what extra tanks you bring.
  • When you’re tasked to precision STRIKE’s and the like, especially when using laser guided weapons, ensure everyone has the correct codes entered into their weapons and targeting pods where it is applicable.
  • When you’re tasked to precision work with a GPS weapon make sure everyone has the correct coordinates. This is a big hole in the swiss cheese of security and we do not want to fail a strike because you got sloppy entering the numbers.
  • Go through important things with flights in a pre-flight checklist. Power up your RWR, Radar, Datalink, IFF, Lights, Targeting pod, Countermeasures. Make sure the fiddly bits are programmed correctly.
  • Before launching give a quick briefing to your flight. SMEAC – Situation, Mission, Execution, Admin, Communications. Be detailed in your execution for newer pilots, talk timings, talk checks.

Once you’re in the air you still will have to maintain control over your flight:
  • Communicate! COMMUNICATE OFTEN! COMMINICATE IMPORTANT THINGS!
  • Clearly state your intentions and objectives when explaining things.
  • When climbing to altitude give an update of your angle of climb and speed, this ensures that your flight can join you and not be separated. “I’m climbing at 15 degrees at 300 indicated”
  • When cruising make sure you are as slow as the slowest aircraft, then communicate your intents. “Leveling off at 30 thousand feet, going to cruise at mach 0.8”
  • You’re on point – communicate your approach vectors to waypoints to the flight “Approaching steer 2, turning right to steer 3 in ten seconds”
  • Give the flight a heads up on where they can go if they get to cut and get out. A safe egress is (normally) worth more than a kill. Especially pertinent in island combat is: If you’re approaching a coast with a bunch of SAMs let them know where to go if they need to defend. “Flow south over the water if engaged and defending”
  • Don’t hesitate to ask questions or provide updates on your flight onto the package comms frequency. Talk to the other flights you are coordinating with. Situational awareness as a collective is how we respond with agility and precision. “Dreidel 2 engaging southern bandit group” or “Weasel 1 magnums out on coastal SAM sites”.

Now there are J-7’s coming into your BARCAP space. What are you gonna do?
  • Communicate! COMMUNICATE OFTEN! COMMINICATE IMPORTANT THINGS!
  • In an A2A scenario, divide up the targets and be specific about it. Clearly state your intentions and objectives when explaining things. Do the sorting yourself unless you’re comfortable with the level of your flight’s skill in this matter. E.g. “Lead takes nearest bandit. 2 takes trailing bandit. 3 on cleanup. Flow west for egress”
  • In an A2G scenario, talk about what’s going to happen beforehand. It might have already been done in the briefing, but people forget things and it’s nice to remind people what the plan is. “1 and 2 will take east targets, 3 & 4 will take west targets.”
  • Keep communicating your movements/altitude/speed. If you’re going to gull full burner to engage something, say it before you do it. It’ll help keep flight cohesion and people won’t get lost as much.
  • If you’re forced to break formation while engaging that’s fine. If the formation breaks up, get to a safe area, slow down and give your position so everyone can rejoin before proceeding.
  • Communicate.
  • Seriously communicate!

General de aviación Daniela Figueroa Scholz

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Commanders,

Your action plans for 17th February 2010, which is this Saturday's game day in real life, are expected no later than today at 2100 Eastern Time, US. So then hours from now.

That means Naval movement, Army movement, and General Carlos' choice of what area to focus on.

After those are locked, the Air Force commander can start divvying up tasks and start planning with flight leads on how to use the human airplanes in the AO.

Before this, dear thread lurkers and others, weigh in and give some opinions or something for them.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Vahakyla posted:

For the Air Combat Command Commander, General Schulz,

Your Air Forces have made you proud. The Air Operation is a success, despite some losses. The few F-16s surely sting, but other planes are much more easily replaceable.
Your dispersion plan is working in reducing congestion, but many planes landed at Rio Gallegos due to fuel emergencies.

You need F-16 parts to repair them stat.

Where do you want your Brazilian Air Force P-3 patrol?

As it stands, your dilemma at this moment is to decide if you want parts being flown from the United States to go towards either:

Option A: Getting two more F-16C models from the FACh to combat readiness by morning of 17th

Option B: Getting four more F-16A MLU models from the FACh to combat readiness by morning of 17th

These parts are right now waiting transport at El Libertador Air Base (Spanish: Base Aérea Libertador) (ICAO: SVBL) is a military airport and base for the Venezuelan Air Force. It is located in Maracay, a city in central Venezuela and the capital of the state of Aragua. They need to be flown into El Calafate.

SECOND CHOICE:

The Chilean Air Battle Managers report poor radar coverage from the E-3 patrols that do not wish to fly too close to the frontline. You have a choice to make, do you want the E-3 to fly closer to the frontline during the next operation to obtain a better picture, or to stay the current 100nm distance from the front?

You have three E-3s currently, one can be sortied out at any given time.

THIRD CHOICE:

Brazil has offered one SABER, a mobile ground controlled intercept radar that can track air targets at least 40nm away reliable. (We don't have SABER in DCS so we'll use a slightly more powerful radar that offers up to 70nm).

SABER is a truck based radar, being developed by CTEx (Army Technology Center) and produced by BRADAR, a Brazilian company part of Embraer Defense and Security group. It was introduced in 2010, and a cooler part of Brazilian indigenous weapon design. The Brazilian Air Force took control of it, so this is already in your command purview.

It's in Sao Paulo. Get it to the South, and let me know where it should be placed. It will integrate with SADL and Link 16 via bridge stations.

Besides that, you probably have to wait for your higher up to decide the Area of Operations for the next day until you can make decisions how to task planes.

-------------
Game Master Actions
Choice 1: I want to take the F-16C – a flight of C’s is going to be much more guaranteed a useful aircraft VS the J-11’s and SEAD capability is a godsend. This also means if need we will have Venom 2 ready to go if Venom 1 needs repair and refurbishment.

Choice 2: E-3s are to move south 10nm to provide a, hopefully, slightly better picture while remaining safe.

Choice 3: The SABER is to be placed this area here (pictured) to the north of the Western front, behind our line obviously, near La Reina in the elevated terrain on the eastern side of the provide satellite image - covered in as much camo as we can thrown on it and this should roughly provide coverage of the front for a better picture. Air Mobility Officer Taps – this is your time to shine.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Punta Arenas AO

Ladies and gentlegoons, it's time to bring our focus to the Punta Arenas axis.. as you can tell from the report from the Chilean Brigade commander on the front, the situation is dire. With three PLA brigades attacking our one understrength unit, I'm going to give my frank assessment. Without extra boots on the ground on this axis, and pardon my french here, we are hosed. The enemy is preparing a flank with engineering assets and a full brigade, and are using the other two brigades to push our small Chilean unit back. As such, I'm hereby ordering a slow fighting retreat, using the bodies of water in this area to canalize and restrict the PLAGF's freedom of movement. With this canalizing effect, this should bring their units into more dense formations, where our artillery unit can let loose and give 'em hell. The recon unit is to take an artillery FO with them, and loop around to take an overwatch position over the Laguna Verdana approach. If the PLA bring forward their bridge-laying units, the artillery is to bring all of their guns to bear on them when they're at their most vulnerable. Otherwise, they are to divide their attention helping out the infantry and armor. Here are the positions the brigade is to take

Hostile Artillery Interdicting our Supply

Onto our next dire situation, the PLAGF got wise to our supply routes and has tasked artillery to blow up our logistics vic's supporting the Chilean brigade. Obviously we can't keep using this route for the time being.

For now, we're going to have to take a detour for our supply route. This route is also adequate to move troops around.

As you may guess, this route *is* longer; Instead of an hour at highway speeds, it's a 3 hour trip on gravel roads. Until we can have something done about it, we're just going to have to live with the consequences. I'm going to task my HQ staff to investigate broadening our logistics network in the future, so we're not as vulnerable to this form of interdiction.

Now, onto my requests for our supreme commander, the navy, the AF, and our aerial logistics officers
[Post to follow]

General Humberto, EA

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Gridlocked posted:

Game Master Actions
Choice 1: I want to take the F-16C – a flight of C’s is going to be much more guaranteed a useful aircraft VS the J-11’s and SEAD capability is a godsend. This also means if need we will have Venom 2 ready to go if Venom 1 needs repair and refurbishment.

Choice 2: E-3s are to move south 10nm to provide a, hopefully, slightly better picture while remaining safe.

Choice 3: The SABER is to be placed this area here (pictured) to the north of the Western front, behind our line obviously, near La Reina in the elevated terrain on the eastern side of the provide satellite image - covered in as much camo as we can thrown on it and this should roughly provide coverage of the front for a better picture. Air Mobility Officer Taps – this is your time to shine.

Those seem like good plans to me. I agree with all of your strategic choices. The placement of the Air Force P3 sentries wasn't addressed specifically, but if you wanted to keep them operating off the coast of Rio Gallegos were they were previously, that works for me.

One suggestion I have is that since some pilots were reporting fuel shortages when they landed, it might be worth repositioning some aircraft. The MB-339 squadron at Puerto Natales didn't see action, nor did the MiG-29S (Colt) Squadron, and they could be moved to El Calafate and/or Santa Cruz as a reserve. The Cerro Castillo airstrip north of Rio Turbio could be a good Dispersed Operating Base (DOB) for the SU-25T (Chevy) Squadron, as the Soviet aircraft were renowned for their ability to operate on austere facilities. These actions might allow the F-16s of Panther and/or Venom squadron at El Calafate to move up to Puerto Natales - bringing them 150 km / 80 nmi closer to the front while maintaining our force dispersion.

Similarly in the eastern AO, the Bahía Posesión airstrip south of Rio Gallegos could be a good Forward Arming and Refueling Point (FARP) for the F-5s (Uzi) at Rio Gallegos (which are also short-runway capable) or other aircraft operating near Tierra del Fuego. However, its proximity to the frontline might limit its use to emergencies until we can push back the PLAGF.

Mederlock posted:

As you may guess, this route *is* longer; Instead of an hour at highway speeds, it's a 3 hour trip on gravel roads. Until we can have something done about it, we're just going to have to live with the consequences. I'm going to task my HQ staff to investigate broadening our logistics network in the future, so we're not as vulnerable to this form of interdiction.

It would appear that your plans make the best of a bad situation. I agree that retreating to a better position would be your best option. I will note that even if naval artillery support can be provided from the Otway Sound, it will only be capable of reaching as far east as Ruta 9 / Laguna Cabeza de Mar. If a naval interdiction plan were pursued instead it would have a more overall effect, but would take longer to make an impact. Either way, the PLAGF 4th BDE will likely be capable of continuing its NE offensive towards your supply route. Any reinforcements in that area should expect to quickly make contact.

One logistical suggestion that comes to mind would be to leverage the Rio Turbio Railway to transport supplies from Rio Gallegos to Rio Turbio, and then south by Ruta 9. In combination with overland supplies from El Calafate and martime supplies from Puerto Natales, this may enable you to establish a more protected Punta Arenas supply route.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 17, 2023

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

BRAVO 1 & BRAVO 2 Team Operation

Goal : Secure RADAR and GARRISON near the Vasquez Glacier.

OPFOR : PLA RRF, Garrison, and likely MI-8 and/or Light Armor.

BRAVO 1 - PINK TEAM
BRAVO 2 - GREEN TEAM

1. Drop Zone Form Up - I have no idea how dispersed we may be. Use the long inlet as a form up marker upon landing. Depart once teams are formed up.

BRAVO 1
2. Advance to point, hold in cover, observe Guard Outpost. Wait for Bravo 2 to verify enemy presence between Point 8 / 9.
If possible we bypass these hostiles
3. Approach crest, wait for Bravo 2 to reach Point 10.
4. Assault Radar After Bravo 2 is in position and can suppress hostiles. Once Bravo 1 reaches the SAM site Bravo 2 will cover approach from the Garrison.
Bravo 1 will clear Radar Site
5. Once clear, will move to 5 and/or support Bravo 2 depending on RRF strength.
6. Hold at provide overwatch of Garrison until Bravo 2 at 13 and can assault. Bravo 1 will provide suppression and/or assist in securing of site.

BRAVO 2
7. Flank to point 7 and observe for Guard Outpost.
8. Continue to 8, observe Guard Outpost. Avoid contact unless necessary. Use suppressed weaponry if required to clear area. (Pistols) Call for BRAVO 1 assistance if needed.
9. Final Guard Post Observe. See #8 if needed to clear outpost.
10-11. Move to hill and take up firing positions. Goal is to suppress Radar site and also be prepared for RRF to come from the Garrison.
11. Move to 11 and wait for Bravo 1 to move to 5.
12. Move to 12 when Bravo 1 is moving to 6.
13. Once Bravo 1 is at 6 and in position assault the Garrison. Call for Bravo 1 if needed.

NUTSHELL
A - Avoid outpost unless able to kill all forces present with suppressed weapons.
B - Bravo 2 provides overwatch and cover for Radar assault while Bravo 1 clears the site.
C - Bravo 2 responds to the RRF and calls for Bravo 1 if needed.
D - Bravo 1 provides overwatch and cover for Garrison assault while Bravo 2 clears the site.

Both teams to mutually support each other if the RRF proves quick. Each team should have a member who is carrying anti-armor weaponry (it will be in the drop). Save it for armor.

Still need more troopers - Sign up! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jOSz0U-zNviZzIqRkLXsW3S2MP6s9Uc3nc9Rodi8o9o/edit#gid=92155697

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Kaal posted:

One suggestion I have is that since some pilots were reporting fuel shortages when they landed, it might be worth repositioning some aircraft. The MB-339 squadron at Puerto Natales didn't see action, nor did the MiG-29S (Colt) Squadron, and they could be moved to El Calafate and/or Santa Cruz as a reserve. The Cerro Castillo airstrip north of Rio Turbio could be a good Dispersed Operating Base (DOB) for the SU-25T (Chevy) Squadron, as the Soviet aircraft were renowned for their ability to operate on austere facilities. These actions might allow the F-16s of Panther and/or Venom squadron at El Calafate to move up to Puerto Natales - bringing them 150 km / 80 nmi closer to the front while maintaining our force dispersion.

Similarly in the eastern AO, the Bahía Posesión airstrip south of Rio Gallegos could be a good Forward Arming and Refueling Point (FARP) for the F-5s (Uzi) at Rio Gallegos (which are also short-runway capable) or other aircraft operating near Tierra del Fuego. However, its proximity to the frontline might limit its use to emergencies until we can push back the PLAGF.

Repositioning of airplanes will be allowed as long as there's some thought given to how they're supplied, but currently the F-16s can only operate out of El Calafate, at Comandante Armando Tola International Airport (SAWC).
The F-16 is a tremendous maintenance hog, and the maintenance support and sustainment can not just easily be moved for the Chilean fighter squadrons.

So, these following Chilean squadrons HAVE TO stay at El Calafate for now:

12th Aviation Squadron: F-16C Block 50 (Venom)
7th Aviation Squadron: F-16A/B MLU (Panther)
1st Aviation Squadron: E-3 Sentry (Condor)
2nd Aviation Squadron: KC-135 (Shell)

Others can be moved with proper planning.

Also, from now on, since MB-339s don't see much interest from humans, we can task them as AI flights during gameday. Please consider not only AIs capability, but also the capability of the MB-339.

Available for AI tasking currently for gameday:

711 Squadron, FAP: MB-339
1st Fighter Squadron, FAB: F-5E3
112 Squadron, FAP: Su-25T

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Decisions

Supremo Commandante, the valiant Chilean 4th BDE is facing destruction while holding one of our most critical pieces of defensive narrowing terrain, the network of laguna's along the north edge of the Punta Arenas isthmus. If they break past this, we will have no way to stem rapid advances by the PLAGF into the heart of the mainland via the network of dirt roads that crisscrosses north of HWY 255. I thus request the immediate tasking of the freshly arrived Argentinian 9th Mechanized Brigade to make full speed to support the Punta Arenas axis along the alternative supply route once they've received their supplies at Bolsa de Tenancia. They should be able to cover that distance in 2-4 hours at top speed. Without them, I am going to have to order the Chilean Brigade to continue retreating north towards Puerto Natales, and the Argentinian 9th BDE will have to stop them along Ruta 255 under artillery fire from Cabo Negro.

General Scholz and Admiral Sampaio, I have provided a crude sketch over the latest satellite imagery indicating some potential strike/reconnaissance targets for your forces. Please see it below:

Points Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta are deemed of highest priority. Alpha indicates the artillery unit that is interdicting our supply lines near Cabo Negro, we need them taken out or supressed long enough to move our own counterbattery units into place to keep them suppressed. Bravo indicates the naval port of Punta Arenas, which is likely the main ingress for supplies for the three brigades pushing to the north. If we can sever their logistics chain, their armored advance will grind to a halt as fuel and ammunition gets sparse, buying us enough time to deploy more forces. Charlie indicates the supply base and logistics chain beyond the blown bridges on Tierra Del Fuego. The base itself didn't seem to take much fire, and would deal a further delay to the PLA's abilities to bring their bridge laying forces forward here. Delta indicates the likely supply lines from Punta arenas to the PLA front line. If we can hit the soft skinned supply convoys feeding their advance, we can hopefully blunt the full force of their units. It also references the brigade moving northeast, if we can blow up their specialized bridge laying engineering vehicles, we can slow the potential for a breakthrough here. The rest of the points indicate more challenging and longer-term strategic aims, such as cutting off the naval supply to Punta Arenas entirely, eliminating the PLAAF/PLAN airbase across the Strait from Porvenir, and the stalled PLAGF BDE on HWY 257. Points Alpha and Delta take precedence over the rest, from the Army's perspective. The rest I leave with you.

[Logistics/civilian air logistics requests to follow shortly]

General Humberto, EA

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 18, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

After consultations with the command staff and considering the fullness of the military situation, the following orders are issued:

The Argentinean P3 Orion is dispatched to the Skyring Sound / Riesco Island area to RECON the Otway Sound and the Punta Arenas battlefield.
An A-4 STRIKE MISSION is ordered against the PLAN Isla Carlos III Silkworm site. Unfortunately, recent intel indicates that the Type 054 is capable of destroying any ships that sail in the vicinity of Isla Carlos. As a result, no further fleet movement is ordered until that threat is dealt with.

The CNS O'Higgins will continue its INTERDICTION of the PLAN Magellan supply route and proceed SE once it is safe from surface contacts.

The Argentinean fleet will continue patrolling the Rio Gallegos coast, in anticipation of the arrival of the "Sierra" cargo ship. Once resupplied, the Brazilian fleet will sail east, shielding the cargo route and threatening the region to the northwest of Islas Malvinas in a NAVAL RAID. The submarines ARA San Juan and Tikuna will continue their raiding activity, seeking PLA supply ships or other targets of opportunity.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 18, 2023

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Supremo Comandante SCAD
General del Aire Carlos - FAP

It's time to go to Punta Arenas and chew bubblegum and I'm all outta gum.

Your plans have my approval and shall be executed. Let's liberate that town.

Mederlock posted:

Supremo Commandante, the valiant Chilean 4th BDE is facing destruction while holding one of our most critical pieces of defensive narrowing terrain, the network of laguna's along the north edge of the Punta Arenas isthmus. If they break past this, we will have no way to stem rapid advances by the PLAGF into the heart of the mainland via the network of dirt roads that crisscrosses north of HWY 255. I thus request the immediate tasking of the freshly arrived Argentinian 9th Mechanized Brigade to make full speed to support the Punta Arenas axis along the alternative supply route once they've received their supplies at Bolsa de Tenancia.

Permission granted. Get those combatentes to the front ASAP.

Arriba, siempre arriba

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Final After Action Report

I set a poor example as I am the flight lead for Uzi flight.

Uzi 1:

F-5, x4

1-1: Vaha
1-2 Burnt
1-3: Muhlump
1-4: Jarmak

We navigated to the highway, and bombed the convoy. On initial run, we lost 1-2 and 1-3 to a Manpad. I myself as a 1-1 got hit while circling back to check on my wingman. 1-3 got hit but survived and tried to fly home. On the way home 1-3 was jumped by two J-7s and got shot down, ejecting.

All of us ejected over or near friendly lines. The attack was made more difficult by my navigational error for not accounting for magnetic variance, and for struggling against enemy MANPADS while diving with dumb bombs.
We should have bombed from a higher altitude and pre-flared more, turning away sooner.

We respawned and went at it again, and 1-1 got shot down again, but 1-2 and 1-3 made it home. 1-4 did not take part in the second sortie.

During both rounds we hit and destroyed enemy trucks. We estimate 20-30 trucks killed or damaged on the highway, and it certainly will degrade their capability.
Observations are, however, that we aren't very useful as F-5s against small moving targets. Bombing pre-known sites or large complexes will be more fruitful.

No major observations besides the fact that our flight was brutally decimated on Day 1.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

We should have bombed from a higher altitude and pre-flared more, turning away sooner.

Higher altitude sure, but flaring pre, during, and even post engagement did not deter Iglas. They are mean to planes releasing bombs from 5,000 feet, but pulling out of the dive at ~3,500 feet.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Air Tasking Order (16 FEB 10): ELINT Aerial Surveillance of Punta Arenas / Tierra del Fuego

Aircraft: 1 x Beechcraft RC-12 Guardrail
Mission Distance: 686 km / 370 nmi

Description: A recon flight is needed to surveil three (3) sites of interest in the Punta Arenas / Tierra del Fuego region.

Site 21 is a group of enemy artillery units in Tierra del Fuego that are attacking our supply routes along Ruta 255. ELINT records of the area will provide CSAD and the Argentine army with necessary information for confronting this mounting threat. Entry into restricted air space over the Straits of Magellan is not authorized. While the flight path is believed to be non dangerous, be aware that enemy SAM activity has been recorded to the southwest near Porvenir. Do not deviate south from the flight path.

Site 22 is a battlefield consisting of PLAGF brigades attacking the Punta Arenas line. Previous surveillance could not determine type or disposition. Detailed reconnaissance is required to determine the nature of the threat. The flight path is behind friendly MEAD, but be aware that enemy aircraft have been reported in the area. Listen to the Guard channel and be prepared for an immediate divert north if advised.

Site 23 is a company of PLAN marines who have set up anti-ship launchers on Isla Carlos III amidst the remains of the Whale Sound Eco Camp. A naval air strike is being prepared to clear the forces and secure the area. The enemy may be armed with MANPADS, but additional undetected weaponry is possible - maintain at least a 25 km distance from the site. Avoid restricted air space to the east while entering and exiting the area.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 18, 2023

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Combined Air Combat Command - SCAD

Ok Líderes de escuadrón, flight plans and objectives are up below. Grabs yours and talk to your wingmen for what your specific plans are. Your feelings and feedback is always considered, its your butts on the line out there - but do consider we have objectives and you may not always be comfortable with what you get.

First things first BARCAP assignments:

So the frontline is divided up into Eastern and Western sectors - I want Colt split into 2 flights, with one in each sector covering this assignment.

TARCAP assignment, which may seem odd but will make sense in time, is for 2 aircraft from Pontiac to provide cover over the Straight of Magellan for other operations in the AO. With specific focus on targeting PLAAF interceptors.

CAS assignment to the new focus AO is going 2 planes from Chevy (Call sign Chevy 1) to support in the below designated target area:

Now for the key missions:

First off we Operación Profundo Frita. This is a STRIKE mission to be carried out by all remaining members of Chevy (Called Chevy 2)not on CAS duty (fight amongst yourselves for who does what). The objective is a fast, precision strike on the PLA artillery position at Cabro Nergo as designed by General Humberto as an objective of high importance. As per graphic below roughly along the vector designated to Target 1, before proceeding to Target 2 which is the supply base near the destroyed bridges. Any remaining strike capacity should be used to disrupt this base before turning to egress over Target 3 and firing on targets of opportunity. Egress out of the AO over friendly forces covered by Gepards.

As part of this Operación 2 members of Pontiac will act as TARCAP for the area to ensure everyone makes it home safely.

Second mission is Operación A La Plancha which is going to be a combined flights mission with the objective of severely reducing PLAAF operational capability in the Punta Arenas area - and hopefully Tierra del Fuego entirely.

Flights involved:
Venom 1 and 2 with loadout of HARMS, some Mavericks and A2A capability.
Springfield with loadout of Matra Durandal (focus), Magics and other ground attack capacity (secondary)

You will be linking up together in friendly airspace before vectoring to Target 1 and conducting a DEAD mission while enroute to Target 2: the Almirante Schroeders Airport currently in use by the PLAFF as a major forward air base. Here Springfield will use its Durandal's to maximum effect in a DEEP STRIKE mission. Venoms you will provide TARCAP during the STRIKE as well as SEAD as appropriate. Before egressing via same entry vector.

Third mission is Operación Hervido which will be carried out by Panther with the objective of conducting a STIKE on the Port of Punta Arenas. Targets are the port infrastructure it self, naval logistics such as supply ships and any targets of opportunity if the PLAN has left them sitting freely. I will leave optimal loadouts up to the flight leads of Panther 1 and 2 to decide but suggest JDAMS. Egress over friendly forces.

Final Mission is Operación Al Horno which will be targeting Highway 9 in the Punta Arenas AO with the objective of destroying soft logistical targets that are supporting the PLA's front line in the area. This should achieve the desired outcome of reducing the capability of mechanised units to push further on the front line. This will be carried out by Uzi and/or Ford with loadouts of rocket pods, and other ground strike capable munitions. Simple task of search and destroy in a GROUND INTERDICTION mission.

In order to account for the fuelling issues we ran into on the previous days operations I will be tasking Shell to loiter, covered by the BARCAP, in between Rio Turbio and Rio Gallegos to provide fuel to F-16's and F1's enroute to targets - and to all aircraft returning who require fuel for landing purposes.

Any questions or feedback, please pass it along. Else good hunting all.

General de aviación Daniela Figueroa Scholz

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 20, 2023

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Third mission is Operación Hervido which will be carried out by Panther with the objective of conducting a STIKE on the Port of Punta Arenas. Targets are the port infrastructure it self, naval logistics such as supply ships and any targets of opportunity if the PLAN has left them sitting freely. I will leave optimal loadouts up to the flight leads of Panther 1 and 2 to decide but suggest JDAMS. Egress over friendly forces.

Can Panther Flights fit JDAM's? If so, it would be very helpful to have pre-planned target positions. We do not have targeting pods so doing this on the fly would be challenging. But I think any fixed target should be a known asset.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Yooper posted:

Can Panther Flights fit JDAM's? If so, it would be very helpful to have pre-planned target positions. We do not have targeting pods so doing this on the fly would be challenging. But I think any fixed target should be a known asset.

I have no idea - I am making an assumption. If they can't fit them we shall find an alternative.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Gridlocked posted:

I have no idea - I am making an assumption. If they can't fit them we shall find an alternative.

The alternative is called CCIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

[reserved]