Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

bizwank posted:

Your company has to have at least one eligible employee who isn't an owner nor spouse of an owner to qualify for this plan. This unfortunately rules out a lot of self-employed people/couples, like myself.

i think that is true for the company plans but not for individuals through https://www.cbcins.com/quote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Petey posted:

i think that is true for the company plans but not for individuals through https://www.cbcins.com/quote?
Yes but the Costco membership discount only appears to apply to business insurance. That's all that's linked from Costco's site anyway.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

At last, the moth dna is finally mine

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

RBC posted:

im on day 8 now of this brutal cold and i have so much mucous in my sinus cavities its leaking out of my eyeballs, i work up with both eyes crusted shut with mucous

when i bend forwards it feels like i have weights attatched to my eyeballs and theyre painfully pulling them out of the sockets theres so much pressure

Uhhh... you do know that this does not sound like a cold right?

Edit: I know you said it's not covid because you got a pcr at the hospital, but did they do any tests for bacteria?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

that sounds like conjunctivitis and you should see a doctor about it if it's been more than a week like that

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

Gimme the lowdown on the new bubble vax, I've been out of the loop for a long time.

If you mean Novavax, European Medicines Agency have not approved the updated vaccine yet, so you can't get it.

Otherwise and in a general sense, Pfizer, Moderna and Novavax have all been updated to target XBB.1.5. That's pretty much it, relative efficacy of the different ones, is not something we have meaningful data on, beyond results from the last batch of Novavax indicating a greater resilience towards new variants.

There has been some testing showing that they produce antibodies against the current variants, including BA.2.86, but whether that will hold up against BA.2.86.* is imo much less certain.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

GDI I've been saying "Noravax" in my head and out loud and now I am mad :owned:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i am not speculating about this public figure

https://x.com/kprather88/status/1714085573739041119?s=20

I'm laughing, actually

lol welcome to your new job!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The headline makes this seem more like a thing in this regard than it is. It is an SARS-CoV-2 antiviral and they demonstrated that people taking it during the acute phase recovered quicker. Nevertheless it is news, so here you go:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-03244-7 posted:

Smell loss from COVID fades quickly with help of new pill
The antiviral drug ensitrelvir eases both smell and taste loss, and is one of the few COVID-19 drugs available to people not at high risk of grave illness.
(..)
In one such trial, people with mild or moderate COVID-19 symptoms were given either 125 or 250 milligrams of ensitrelvir or a placebo. At the start of the study, 20% of participants reported some level of smell or taste loss. After the third day of treatment, the proportion of participants reporting such symptoms in the ensitrelvir groups started dropping more sharply than did the proportion in the placebo group. At day seven, the percentage of participants with smell or taste loss was 39% lower in the group taking 250-milligram pills than in the placebo group. Three weeks after treatment began, all groups reported similar symptom scores.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Preprint*, but if this holds up, let me be the first to say: lmao
"Did long COVID increase road deaths in the U.S.?"

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.10.11.23296868v1 posted:

Abstract
Objective To examine data on COVID-19 disease associated with a 10 percent increase in U.S. road deaths from 2020 to 2021 that raises the question of the potential effect of pandemic stress and neurological damage from COVID-19 disease.

Methods Poisson regression was used to estimate the association of recent COVID-19 cases, accumulated cases, maximum temperatures, truck registrations, and gasoline prices with road deaths monthly among U.S. states in 2021. Using the regression coefficients, changes in each risk factor from 2020 to 2021 were used to calculate expected deaths in 2021 if each factor had remained the same as in 2020.

Results Corrected for the other risk factors, road deaths were associated with accumulated COVID-19 cases but not cases in the previous month More than 20,700 road deaths were associated with the changes in accumulated COVID-19 cases but were substantially offset by about 19,100 less-than-expected deaths associated with increased gasoline prices.

Conclusions While more research is needed, the data are sufficient to warn people with long COVID to minimize driving.

*That said, this dude seems like a heavy hitter.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Isizzlehorn posted:

Moderna in the left, flu shot in the right.

stuck in the moth juice with you

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

maxwellhill posted:

In some profoundly unlucky way, I am COVID positive. I made it 4 years all the way until 10/15/23 before breaking my streak and losing this game in the most limp dicked way possible -- while bunkering -- after a busy year of masterfully dodging it on crowded transportation, in crowded public buildings, shared cars, numerous medical visits, etc.

god drat.

i've had known direct exposures to covid when i wasn't wearing a mask and my work has almost certainly put me in dozens of potential exposure zones with only my Aura protecting me and i still haven't caught it yet.

that sucks friend, hope the recovery is quick.

i went to costco today to get my scheduled novavax shot and it turns out they don't accept medicaid :shepface:. OOP cost would've been ~$180 so now i have to wait to see if any of the CVS around me get the moth juice in.

also i broke the rules and took my parents membership card with me and bought some multivitamins and san pellegrino at the self checkout.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

maxwellhill posted:

In some profoundly unlucky way, I am COVID positive. I made it 4 years all the way until 10/15/23 before breaking my streak and losing this game in the most limp dicked way possible -- while bunkering -- after a busy year of masterfully dodging it on crowded transportation, in crowded public buildings, shared cars, numerous medical visits, etc.

Stories like this are what make me uneasy, especially since we're speedrunning Paxlovid-resistance mutations. My housemate and I are the most COVID-cautious people we know (we wear P100 or better filtration everywhere, don't have to leave home to work, don't go to restaurants, do our socialization online, etc.), and this thing's still so loving transmissible that there's the possibility of getting got because something went wrong.

Get well soon. That loving sucks.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

It was definitely ur apartment. Remember even in Delta times there was a report of someone picking it up by sharing the same hallway air for 10 seconds after like 15 minutes had passed.

There are multiple stories of docs in ERs and stuff religiously wearing n95s and proper donning/doffing and they haven’t gotten it. Very unlikely you got it in a situation wearing a P100, especially those you described.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update.

pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	709	 +5
Hosp.	21	 -
pre:
Recent
Collection	Cases	Change
Oct-08		1	+1
Oct-01		2	+2

Sep 2023	9	+2
pre:
Month Onset/	Older
Collection	Cases	Change
Summer '23	4	-
Spring '23	13	-
Winter '22	37	-
Fall '22	176	-
Summer '22	466	-
Spring '22	1	-
Incomplete	0	-
WA State Mpox Dashboard

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

U-DO Burger posted:

lol welcome to your new job!

"You don't have to have brain damage to work here - because even if you don't, we'll give it to you."

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
9 hours after getting mothed and absolutely zero side effects besides a very slightly sore arm that I'm not even sure I'd notice if I weren't looking out for it. Hopefully I don't wake up puking my guts out tomorrow morning!

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

My kids were able to get Moderna COVID boosters recently, including my under 5 year old. Pediatric booster availability has apparently been improving, at least in the NYC area. We went to the CVS minute clinic but Walgreens purported to have open slots for kids too.

Not happy about the current pandemic situation but am grateful that at least my family could get the updated vaccines, even if they are already somewhat out-of-date. It's terrible that the boosters aren't an option for most people internationally.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Crazyweasel posted:

It was definitely ur apartment. Remember even in Delta times there was a report of someone picking it up by sharing the same hallway air for 10 seconds after like 15 minutes had passed.

No shared or indoor apartment hallway here. My only exit opens straight outside into the yard. Double door so it should be a pretty good barrier. No ventilation system between or in units, besides leaky windows into the yard.

A couple extra possibilities:

• Like everyone else, I don't protect my ears from exposure. I've had my ears checked at doctors and they've never noted a perforation or anything. Usually on the rare days before I wake up tonsillitis on one side, I'll get ear canal pain on that side. It happened again this time as my first symptom. Could it be...? Nah, right?
  • I have a window A/C unit. It's the cheap kind with styrofoam internal seals, and certainly is not airtight. It's practically pressed up against the fence neighbors' fence (more of a tall solid wall) by just several inches. The sound of people working on the other side of this wall transmits through loudly, making it sound quite close. But again, we're talking about outdoor to indoor transmission, through slow seepage; it seems like the total volume of air would be very diluted on average.
  • Fomite transmission from a new CPAP unit I got in the mail and tried the same night starting on the 3rd. I flooded every piece the thing with HOCl to disinfect and then soap water and then dried before assembling, and used bottled water in the humidifier of it, which is all that should have been left to aerosolize.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

you’re being a weirdo about it, the most likely way you got it was when you weren’t wearing the mask in your apartment, you even said your “apartment” was a shared single floor house

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
My wife and I got mothed earlier at Costco-- the pharmacist giving the shots said they were getting a lot of people coming in for it and asked where I'd heard about it. You ever try explaining a dying comedy forum to someone in thirty seconds? Not easy.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

an owls casket posted:

My wife and I got mothed earlier at Costco-- the pharmacist giving the shots said they were getting a lot of people coming in for it and asked where I'd heard about it. You ever try explaining a dying comedy forum to someone in thirty seconds? Not easy.

"antisocial media"

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

maxwellhill posted:

No shared or indoor apartment hallway here. My only exit opens straight outside into the yard. Double door so it should be a pretty good barrier. No ventilation system between or in units, besides leaky windows into the yard.

A couple extra possibilities:

• Like everyone else, I don't protect my ears from exposure. I've had my ears checked at doctors and they've never noted a perforation or anything. Usually on the rare days before I wake up tonsillitis on one side, I'll get ear canal pain on that side. It happened again this time as my first symptom. Could it be...? Nah, right?
  • I have a window A/C unit. It's the cheap kind with styrofoam internal seals, and certainly is not airtight. It's practically pressed up against the fence neighbors' fence (more of a tall solid wall) by just several inches. The sound of people working on the other side of this wall transmits through loudly, making it sound quite close. But again, we're talking about outdoor to indoor transmission, through slow seepage; it seems like the total volume of air would be very diluted on average.
  • Fomite transmission from a new CPAP unit I got in the mail and tried the same night starting on the 3rd. I flooded every piece the thing with HOCl to disinfect and then soap water and then dried before assembling, and used bottled water in the humidifier of it, which is all that should have been left to aerosolize.

I'm sorry you got got. Glad to hear you had pax on hand.

Can you tell us more about your P100? Is it an elastomeric or a cup mask?

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
maxwellhill have you considered the possibility that one of the FBI agents bugging your houseight not have been wearing aask while doing it and was infectious?

I mean...

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
(I'm really sorry you got got it's just none of the ways you mentioned seem likely at ALL)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

maxwellhill have you considered the possibility that one of the FBI agents bugging your houseight not have been wearing aask while doing it and was infectious?

I mean...

gently caress, updating the op

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Wait I reread your OP - you never mentioned of the control line actually showed up? I've heard of the T and C lines showing up at the same time but are you sure it's a good test if T shows up well before?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
Control line was good on both tests. Just isn't reached before the T line, and takes all 15 minutes to darken well.

Woodsy Owl posted:

Can you tell us more about your P100? Is it an elastomeric or a cup mask?

Elastomeric. A 3M 7500 series with 7093 carts, new carts freshly opened last month. The silicone facepiece is a couple years old; I regularly disassemble and clean it with soap and water. Seal feels great, especially if I've been wearing it for long at all in which case skin moisture builds up and makes it hold a lot more pressure. I use the positive seal check every time i put it on and make sure it inflates and holds. If I'm heading into a building, I additionally do the negative check built into the cartridge boxes for sanity. If I go a long time and re-test I never seem to fail the check, even with other factors like the custom eye protection laying on the mask.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

maxwellhill posted:

Possible exposure routes:
  • (Most likely IMO) A grocery trip on Oct 10th in a P100. Lingered in aisles extra long unable to find stuff, trying not to narrowly follow where coughing kids/adults had been, which were numerous. Thing is, I wore a P100 and airtight eye protection. I was as sure as ever of the seal of both, and this STILL is the most likely route -- a stealth P100 leak. I even sprayed nose + throat with strong neutral HOCl when I got home to kill anything that got past before it could replicate, and this is STILL the most likely vector.

• On the same trip on the 10th, unmasking in a huge empty field with over ~100ft social distancing to other hikers, open visibility in all directions. Dry sunny air. If there was someone heading upwind I donned. I biked to get there in a P100.

• On Oct 7th I had a fleeting interaction talking over a fence at a person who had a cough when we were apart. Outside in a P100.

• Feeding feral cats outside in a P100. Besides the two dates above, cats were my only exception from isolation. Several days ago, one of them barged inside for a moment and sneezed at me to feed them faster, into my house air. I cranked up the corsi box and made the front room a wind tunnel, avoided it, and kept the p100 on several extra minutes.

• Apartment air leakage. Mine is a single floor house, sharing only one wall with a neighbor, along the kitchen and bathroom. It would have to be a very slow seepage. I count it as more possible because I could hear someone sneezing as they went in and out this week one day. That was by my outside double door which seals pretty well, and I cranked up the huge corsi by the door on high for the rest of the day.

• A possibility involving very long incubation times. On Oct 1st I had a quick chat outside with a neighbor in a P100. Sept 29th was my previous major trip out, similar to my grocery trip on the 10th, no worse. The 28th, chilling with neighbor outside in a P100. I've accounted for every exposure going back to Sept 25th.

• Some freak occurrence like an undetected sewage gas bubble, a secret bio attack, food that stayed infectious for several days in the fridge, etc.

Starting on the 15th, I developed a painful swollen tonsil in my sleep, pushed through the day since that's not unusual for me, then that night noticed a sudden onset headache which IS unusual for me. I also noticed my arm felt sore in a way that reminded me of post-vaccine. That gave me a hunch to test.

I cackled when I glanced back at the test and saw a single DARK black line, because it was not the C line (that hadn't even faded in yet), and it was just so thoroughly unexpected given recent inactivity and such a vague hunch. Soon after, a lot more symptoms started up (sickly tingling, worse headache, nausea, sinuses, eventually coughing and diarrhea). I was on pax before the 15 minutes was up for the test. Another test the following morning did the same instant black T line. I think it further points toward the 10th as a likely infection date, allowing 5 full days for the line to get that dark, because apparently by then I was CONTAGIOUS, extremely so already.

I was not re-boosted in over a year due to bad reactions. I was about to grab Novavax XBB this week. Shouldn't have held out. Probably my biggest mistake other than being so unlucky that it catches me by the skin of its teeth.

Day 1, head pain so extreme I couldn't sleep. Day 2, ditto but it's my throat. NOT MILD

unlike most people who say they did everything right and got sick, you really did go the extra mild. sorry :(

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

maxwellhill posted:

Possible exposure routes:
[list]
[*](Most likely IMO) A grocery trip on Oct 10th in a P100. Lingered in aisles extra long unable to find stuff, trying not to narrowly follow where coughing kids/adults had been, which were numerous. Thing is, I wore a P100 and airtight eye protection. I was as sure as ever of the seal of both, and this STILL is the most likely route -- a stealth P100 leak. I even sprayed nose + throat with strong neutral HOCl when I got home to kill anything that got past before it could replicate, and this is STILL the most likely vector.

Day 1, head pain so extreme I couldn't sleep. Day 2, ditto but it's my throat. NOT MILD
loving brutal man, it sucks doesn't it. pax kicked in for me after about 48 hours, so i think by day 3 your symptoms will improve. rest rest rest rest and drink tons of fluids

i think it was a stealth leak while you were in the grocery store, everything else seems way too far fetched. I used the 3m 7500 series early on and noticed I'd get leaks here and there, and dropped it for the secure click instead. now just using aura's, but anyways yeah i think it was a stealth leak.

edit,

inferis posted:

you’re being a weirdo about it, the most likely way you got it was when you weren’t wearing the mask in your apartment, you even said your “apartment” was a shared single floor house
yeah actually maybe this too

Tzen has issued a correction as of 06:39 on Oct 18, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Year 5 starts in 2 months lol
lol jfc

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

an owls casket posted:

astral posted:

"antisocial media"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
SARS the first crossed two hundred metres of open air at sea level in the tropics to infect residents of a downwind highrise building.

SARS the second blows its predecessor out of water in R‐naught and holds the record for the fastest‐spreading human pathogen in history.

It’s an exceptionally talented virus, and it only has to get lucky once.

You’ll never know how it got lucky, only that it did.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 07:09 on Oct 18, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tzen posted:

loving brutal man, it sucks doesn't it. pax kicked in for me after about 48 hours, so i think by day 3 your symptoms will improve. rest rest rest rest and drink tons of fluids

i think it was a stealth leak while you were in the grocery store, everything else seems way too far fetched. I used the 3m 7500 series early on and noticed I'd get leaks here and there, and dropped it for the secure click instead. now just using aura's, but anyways yeah i think it was a stealth leak.

edit,

yeah actually maybe this too

i got leaks from around the bridge of my nose from the 7x series myself. I've been using auras.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

SARS the first crossed two hundred metres of open air at sea level in the tropics to infect residents of a downwind highrise building.

SARS the second blows its predecessor out of water in R‐naught and holds the record for the fastest‐spreading human pathogen in human history.

It’s an exceptionally talented virus, and it only has to get lucky once.

You’ll never know how it got lucky, only that it did.

Yeah, you probably just got unlucky with a bumped seal or a gust of air coming in through your building envelope through a shared wall. We'll all get got like that eventually.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
^ Yeah :(

Not a shared apartment. It's two apartments under one roof.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

maxwellhill posted:

Not a shared apartment. It's two apartments under one roof.

If you've got a shared wall, you might have a shared plenum space or something like that, a shared wall that develops positive pressure on their side sometimes, etc. There's a million ways to get a little puff of virus air from one way to another on a million to one chance, and that's all it takes. It sucks, but trying to Sherlock Holmes it probably isn't going to get you anywhere. Going this long without getting it means whatever you're doing is working.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sherlock Holmes would be well‐equipped to solve this case thanks to his extensive knowledge of tobacco smoking.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Sherlock Holmes would be well‐equipped to solve this case thanks to his extensive knowledge of tobacco smoking.

I thought he was a coke and speed guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
If i had smoked more tobacco none of this would have happened