Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

extremely extremely weird to say that train to busan is bad for reasons I can only describe as "borderline racist"

the appeal is that it's a well-written zombie movie with cool zombies in a cramped setting that has a rock-solid emotional core and enough to say socially that it gives it some heft. But sure, people say it's good because they can't tell if acting in another language is good or bad or whatever

I think it was more that it came across as thinking Korea and Japan are functionally the same thing. I know that wasn't the intention but that's how it could come across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It rules and the sappy dad poo poo is the best part.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"Is this for the people who can't tell when writing is bad in anime unless it's dubbed?"
The key part here is "dubbed" not "anime". Anime is just often dubbed. Seriously if you see someone bring up Korean media, and then Japanese media, and then go "BUHH THEY BOTH IN ASIA!!! UH OH!!" that says more about you being a (probably white) person projecting the gently caress out of things.

Like I and other poc goons have had to deal with so much bullshit and tone policing on these forums I really gotta laugh at this suddenly concerned and vigilant crowd of allies lmao

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 18, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
e: nvm

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know about "the worst" but when I was watching The Meg 2 all I could think about was that Burger King cheeseburger that Robert Downey Jr ate that was so bad it turned his life around.

Like, I thought The Bye Bye man was bad but at least I could finish it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

hm this feels like an outsized reaction than needed
I've had my tone regulated and policed all over these (mostly white) forums so it's particularly frustrating when a bunch of (probably mostly white) people accuse me of racism because I brought up two Asian countries.

It ain't fun out here for a poc goon but this is the kinda poo poo that often happens. It's often like "why are you taking this so personal". Gosh I don't know!!!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I totally misinterpreted the post then and didn't understand your phrasing :shrug: Sorry.

TheBizzness posted:

It rules and the sappy dad poo poo is the best part.

:hai:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Phy posted:

I don't know about "the worst" but when I was watching The Meg 2 all I could think about was that Burger King cheeseburger that Robert Downey Jr ate that was so bad it turned his life around.

Like, I thought The Bye Bye man was bad but at least I could finish it

Meg 2 is the pinnacle of filmmaking. The scene in particular where Page Kennedy dives through the air in slow motion firing a desert eagle to shoot a dinosaur aligator thing in the head should earn it at least several oscars.

In seriousness. Nobody in film is having as much fun as the Meg people. I hope they make more of those movies until Jason Statham is the wheelchair-bound mentor figure and they're fighting megs in the ocean on the moon or something. A masterpiece.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
p.s. watch The Seventh Curse. From the director of Ricky-Oh. Demon babies float through the air and eviscerate people; burst through their stomachs...people get horribly mangled and flayed in Rambo traps...children are sacrificed...skeleton lich lords are awakened to feast on the living...all that good stuff.
Pretty sure it's on tubi. It's stupid but incredibly fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0TAv0qEJTU

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I totally misinterpreted the post then and didn't understand your phrasing :shrug: Sorry.

That's fine and I'm sorry if I overreacted. I really don't want to hijack the fun horror talk

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 18, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watching a (mostly white) giallo: “this is anime.”

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

If your giallo turns white, I think you need to call a doctor.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I would've used giallo as the example but it's more niche (was going more for popular mass media) and the "issue" of dubbing is a lot more prominent in anime

I really need to watch Knife + Heart because I'm one of those people who hasn't really clicked with giallo at all yet but I haven't given it that many chances.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

ruddiger posted:

I assume you're referring specifically to the guy who made the noted video game Clocktower (1996) watching the noted GOAT film Phenomena (1985)

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Yeah sorry that's fair. Outsized reaction was a bit rude of me.

ruddiger posted:

me reading the manga Yuureitou: "this is giallo"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As Above So Below would've been better if it wasn't found footage. Like imagine aTomb Raider/Indiana Jones sort of film turning into horror halfway in. That would've cost a lot more money presumably but they could've kept the script 90% the same and had it filmed traditionally and it would've made it ten times better.

Interesting concept and some decent set pieces but it held back on the hellishness a bit too long for my tastes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

As Above So Below would've been better if it wasn't found footage. Like imagine aTomb Raider/Indiana Jones sort of film turning into horror halfway in. That would've cost a lot more money presumably but they could've kept the script 90% the same and had it filmed traditionally and it would've made it ten times better.

Interesting concept and some decent set pieces but it held back on the hellishness a bit too long for my tastes.
I thought The Tunnel was a slightly better As Above So Below but that ain't saying too much. It's hard with found footage because if its low budget, holds back on spooks (or doesn't even deliver them), then all the typical shallow writing and silly characterization grates even more. I would've enjoyed (or tolerated) As Above So Below's goofy stupid characters and dialogue if they were actually in an otherwise scary & fun film.
Too many movies are stupid enough to be bad but if they amped up the stupidity they'd possibly be fun bad or just be entertaining/stand out in some way.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
AA,SB being found footage is worth it for the ending alone where you're expecting the usual FF everybody-dies bad ending, and then they just pop out the other side and go home

It also gives you the first-person hell% speedrun sequence which is hilarious

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I aspire to be the bad guy from Train to Busan and betray everyone like 6-7 times

Grave Encounters was kind of a disappointment because they just did warp face for the creep outs. They had the ambience to do the Hellhouse LLC subtle scares while being eldritchtly stuck in a building but took the cowards way towards scares.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The worst horror films I've ever seen are all boring and forgettable because they're just random cheap found footage films I see when I'm dumpster diving on tubi. poo poo I'll never remember.

Yup. I couldn't tell you the worst horror movie I've seen but it's definitely on Amazon prime

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

p.s. watch The Seventh Curse. From the director of Ricky-Oh. Demon babies float through the air and eviscerate people; burst through their stomachs...people get horribly mangled and flayed in Rambo traps...children are sacrificed...skeleton lich lords are awakened to feast on the living...all that good stuff.
Pretty sure it's on tubi. It's stupid but incredibly fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0TAv0qEJTU

This is filmed like the ending of Conan the Barbarian and it owns. I'll have to check this one out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

You know what movie continues to just loving slap?

Dog Soldiers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If we're recommending Chinese Cat 3 films then I strongly recommend The Boxers Omen and Devil Fetus. Sure Seventh Curse is great but those films are on another level.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I really need to watch Knife + Heart because I'm one of those people who hasn't really clicked with giallo at all yet but I haven't given it that many chances.

I bounce off giallo too and I thought it was alright. I think it's giallo-like but extremely French. It's cinema jaune.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Going off my Letterboxd, the worst horror movie I’ve ever seen is one of Truth or Dare, A Serbian Film or The Poughkeepsie Tapes.

Writing that out, I feel sorry for putting Truth or Dare in that company, it’s just boring, not like, evil

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

If we're recommending Chinese Cat 3 films then I strongly recommend The Boxers Omen and Devil Fetus. Sure Seventh Curse is great but those films are on another level.

Found this site that was selling the raw 35mm scans of the original Star Wars trilogy on blu and ended up buying a stack of the cat 3 movies they had for sale, including both of those titles. They’re pretty dang good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I tried watching Food Of The Gods tonight and had to turn that poo poo off. Giant chickens and rats should be fun goddamnit.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Poughkeepsie Tapes is a really hosed up film but I wax and wane on whether to recommend it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hollismason posted:

:hai:

Just finished Sole Survivor. Pretty solid. Funny to see Final Destination mashed together with It Follows elements in this slow burn 1984 film that I'd never heard of before like last week.
Obviously it's got a pretty fun poster too.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 18, 2023

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Does Midnight Mass get good? I watched 1.5 episodes where nothing happens but some dead cats. Felt Iike I could have just watched a solid 90 min horror movie in that time.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 18, 2023

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

checkplease posted:

Does Black Mass get good? I watched 1.5 episodes where nothing happens but some dead cats. Felt Iike I could have just watched a solid 90 min horror movie in that time.

Yes-ish? There is on 5 star scene that I think is worth watching the whole season for, but it occurs at the end of an episode that is 45 minutes of two actors monologueing at each other.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The Loch Ness Horror is the lowest rating I've ever given to a movie during these challenges

Also that movie Slugs

If a movie gives you an actual headache, turn it off

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hollismason posted:

The Poughkeepsie Tapes is a really hosed up film but I wax and wane on whether to recommend it.

The movie's topic is unsavory and I don't think it was done that tastefully. Ignoring that it's kind of boring because there's no real mystery or tension in the plot. It's just voyeuristic.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

The movie's topic is unsavory and I don't think it was done that tastefully. Ignoring that it's kind of boring because there's no real mystery or tension in the plot. It's just voyeuristic.

I figured the killer made the doc seeing as how much it venerates him and the question about admiring the killer is only ever asked to a woman being interviewed.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

best part of the Poughkeepsie Tapes is when it’s implied that the killer had some part in engineering 9/11 in order to bury one of the documentarians stories about him

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Wait, poo poo, no, of course the worst film I've seen is Megan is Missing. I like to think I've got a decent tolerance to bad taste, but that movie is so loving terrible that I'm happy to count just how loving edgelord it is against it too.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I think craftsmanship, creativity and ambition count for something in horror movies, and not necessarily in combination with each other. An extremely derivative story can be great when done well, creativity with the effects or twists and turns in the story can make up for any lack, and there are movies many movies that just can't quite pull it off but they get bonus points for shooting for the stars in ways others don't dare to.

And then there is garbage that is straight-up unredeemable independently of those factors, like Megan is Missing. It's like Victor Salva getting a huge budget to make a movie about a ghost at a boarding school for young boys called The Groper.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Goddamn it every loving time I memory hole Megan is Missing someone reminds me that film exists. Goddamn I hate that movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wrong!

Hollismason posted:

It sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
All of these bad movies, but I guess none of y'all seen THINGS?