Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

i like watching funny videos on youtube, you should see the cat clips they've got on there, they're amazing

I've detected an adblocker you aren't allowed to read my posts if you are blocking my ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
cant listen to playlists anymore without having to hit refresh every few videos, so i suppose really long 40 minute compilations will become very popular all of a sudden.

very good idea youtube

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Pajser posted:

cant listen to playlists anymore without having to hit refresh every few videos, so i suppose really long 40 minute compilations will become very popular all of a sudden.

very good idea youtube

Even before this I couldn't watch a playlist anymore because it kept pausing it and going "continue watching?" after 3 loving videos.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

subscriptions yeah

and what do subscriptions do?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

hbag posted:

my subscriptions

This & custom playlists for all the stuff I like. Also noticed yesterday when I was on YT in Chrome, they're limiting views to 3 videos before running whatever script to "disable" viewing. Firefox still unaffected though, kinda glad I went back especially after the excessive RAM usage issues they had.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting that poo poo showing up in Firefox now.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i havent even gotten the warning in firefox yet lol

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

R.L. Stine posted:

professional crime documentary people (not some kid with Youtube Voice)got demonetized for talking about crime and had to edit every time they said 'blood' to say 'red' instead lol

i love how regressives and other dumb freeze peaches people scream about censorship, yet here we are with users choosing to self censor with weird code speak like that "red" or unlive.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

i love how regressives and other dumb freeze peaches people scream about censorship, yet here we are with users choosing to self censor with weird code speak like that "red" or unlive.

It's only censorship if it's preventing them from saying slurs.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Google already has your data it's totally fine. Same as we should just accept aggressive microtransactions and loot boxes in games. It's fine if the Kinect records your and stores the video silently. Sell your medical information. Have personalised ads surround you 24/7. It's all happening already why bother fighting it.

Weird defeatist attitudes considering how hard I've seen posts by the same people go while getting mad about less important poo poo.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

pretty soon youll be able to gently caress a google robot so its not all bad i guess

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIXhnWUmMvw

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

GolfHole posted:

pretty soon youll be able to gently caress a google robot so its not all bad i guess

right now the google robot is loving us

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im pregnad

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

and what do subscriptions do?

it gives me a page that contains only the videos of channels that i subscribe to, without any algorithm curation bullshit

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

Yeah, gently caress that poo poo

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

it gives me a page that contains only the videos of channels that i subscribe to, without any algorithm curation bullshit

i just have a browser bookmark or just type youtube url + channel name

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

syntaxfunction posted:

Google already has your data it's totally fine. Same as we should just accept aggressive microtransactions and loot boxes in games. It's fine if the Kinect records your and stores the video silently. Sell your medical information. Have personalised ads surround you 24/7. It's all happening already why bother fighting it.

Weird defeatist attitudes considering how hard I've seen posts by the same people go while getting mad about less important poo poo.

Also it's not like a person doesn't generate tons more data every single day. Sure they could have all of your personal identifying info, but every time you click on anything at all they "learn" more about you.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i miss when yt sent me an email with every new video from my subscribed channels, that way i didnt even need to have that bookmark

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

you need to bookmark "youtube.com"?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

PhazonLink posted:

because they want money

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

hbag posted:

you need to bookmark "youtube.com"?

yeah? or do you also type in https://forums.somethingawful.com/bookmarkthreads.php every time you want to go to the forums bookmarks page?

e: my bookmark points to https://www.youtube.com/feed/subscriptions FWIW, not the homepage

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 17, 2023

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i type "f" and my browser does the rest

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

ikanreed posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. They get that no matter what I do. Do you think adblockers help with that?

They do, they block the tracking scripts too. Obviously it can't stop everything, especially if you're logged in but it still reduces the data they're getting.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm going to start pasting youtube urls into piped.video until youtube's lawyers shut them down

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Since corona times all corps seem to go extra turbo hard on the monetisation train with netflix restricting Account Sharing or YouTube now trying to block ads.

As a result I will now go extra turbo hard to avoid paying for anything except for spotify which is still working strong for me and my 4 friends, listening to music just out of frame. gently caress ads, gently caress capitalism, any service I can't circumvent their restrictions I will stop using. In a few years I shall finally be free from social media and have saved hundreds upon hundreds of euros.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Elon proved with Twitter that most users will tolerate an increased level of abuse and those that don't probably weren't going to generate any revenue anyway, so now every company is trying to find out what they can get away with.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

Since corona times all corps seem to go extra turbo hard on the monetisation train with netflix restricting Account Sharing or YouTube now trying to block ads.

As a result I will now go extra turbo hard to avoid paying for anything except for spotify which is still working strong for me and my 4 friends, listening to music just out of frame. gently caress ads, gently caress capitalism, any service I can't circumvent their restrictions I will stop using. In a few years I shall finally be free from social media and have saved hundreds upon hundreds of euros.
gently caress capitalism except you’ll pay for spotify the platform that pays artists peanuts? :confused:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Vegetable posted:

gently caress capitalism except you’ll pay for spotify the platform that pays artists peanuts? :confused:

Yes

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Threaten me why don't youtube? Say you're going to block me after 3 videos? Eh EH? WELL I'M BACK USING FIREFOX NOW instead of Vivaldi (chromium based browser) that'll show you whose boss. ME I'm the boss.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i got friends that pretty much rely on bandcamp as their main form of income regarding their music so seeing it get hosed like that really sucks

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Alternatively if anyone can point me in the direction of a good music steamer that doesn't pay peanuts that'd be great, last I checked they all paid peanuts but some were at least salted.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Son of Rodney posted:

Alternatively if anyone can point me in the direction of a good music steamer that doesn't pay peanuts that'd be great, last I checked they all paid peanuts but some were at least salted.

iirc tidal is the best but its still not good

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Son of Rodney posted:

Apple Music gives better royalties than Spotify and doesn't do all the weird AI generated playlist filler crap.

64fanatic
Oct 21, 2008

So crazy? DON'T MIND IF I DO!
First, if you're wondering how exactly Google is pulling this off, they've automated changing their anti adblock javascript URL at random frequent intervals to frustrate Adblock users. The blocklists always take time to be updated manually by volunteers, and then slowly propagated to end users unless they manually purge their list cache and update constantly, even then it's no guarantee. Example: https://pastefy.app/G1Txv5su/raw

Snippet of the Example:

code:
https://www.youtube.com/s/desktop/79c80fdc/jsbin/desktop_polymer_enable_wil_icons.vflset/desktop_polymer_enable_wil_icons.js
https://www.youtube.com/s/desktop/a7576a18/jsbin/desktop_polymer_enable_wil_icons.vflset/desktop_polymer_enable_wil_icons.js
https://www.youtube.com/s/desktop/3587622d/jsbin/desktop_polymer_enable_wil_icons.vflset/desktop_polymer_enable_wil_icons.js
https://www.youtube.com/s/desktop/a5a48819/jsbin/desktop_polymer_enable_wil_icons.vflset/desktop_polymer_enable_wil_icons.js
That's really all Google is doing, basically.

My solution, if you can stomach a tablet GUI, for desktop users is to use YouTube ReVanced with an Android VM.
You get reliable ad-blocking and Sponsorblock built in if you so choose. Most application patches are optional, segmented. The default selection was fine with me.

Install Windows Subsystem For Android https://github.com/MustardChef/WSABuilds/releases

From Step 2 onward learn how to side-load APK files: https://www.minitool.com/news/sideload-android-apps-windows-11.html
Optionally, if you only want to copy the APK onto your virtual android machine before installing, use "adb push <local file> <remote location>" note the command doesn't like filepath spaces.

Then you need 3 APK files installed, rename the three files something more simplistic to avoid problems when trying to install:
1 -Manager: https://github.com/revanced/revanced-manager
2 - So you can login to your account: https://github.com/inotia00/VancedMicroG/releases
3 - Whatever ReVanced Manager recommends. Currently that is the YouTube 18.38.44 APK
You can see that by installing the manager first as shown here once you select Patch:

Looks like this:

If you press CTRL you'll see some of the keyboard shortcuts. Keyboard and Gamepad controls are supported. edit: obviously, Mouse too.

Best to go into options after installing to disable all the data saving features (ReVanced can set a default quality resolution) intended for mobile users, take a break reminders, possibly Picture-In-Picture if you hate it (I do) and tinker with all the ReVanced settings/UI mods.

Fairly light on system resources except RAM maybe depending how much you have total. The Android VM is around 4-5GB used. Subsystem/open apps another 500MB. 2160p playback here.

64fanatic fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 18, 2023

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Son of Rodney posted:

i just made a good nice steamer just for you

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Anyone watching on Android (TV or through a box) should get SmartTubeNext. Iffy title aside it skips ads, it skips sponsor blocks, skips intros and recaps at the start. If anything it can be a bit too efficient (I'm pretty sure it skipped a section of a video I was watching because someone went off topic for too long).

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Finally got locked out on Firefox. Was just clicking the go away buttons. What's the workaround again? I don't mind sponsors, I just mind ads so that whole rigamarole above seems a bit intensive for my needs.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

I love revanced on android but there are desktop alternatives like https://freetubeapp.io/ or https://invidious.io/. Firefox with ubo working fine though for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Finally got locked out on Firefox. Was just clicking the go away buttons. What's the workaround again? I don't mind sponsors, I just mind ads so that whole rigamarole above seems a bit intensive for my needs.

Just open your ubo settings, click purge cache and then update now. Make sure enhanced tracking protection is turned on in your FF settings too, I think it's on by default. If you have any other extensions that effect youtube you may need to disable them too.