Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a big clean version of the Scars cover art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Abbadon in the Siege doesn't yet understand the thing he's yoked to.

He will, though. Just enough to make him think he has a chance.

All the big players are gonna be on the Vengeful Spirit for the duel. Wonder what Abaddons role is gonna be in Horus's death.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Demiurge4 posted:

All the big players are gonna be on the Vengeful Spirit for the duel. Wonder what Abaddons role is gonna be in Horus's death.

It's going to be funny as hell if Abbadon kills Horus and Big E kills Sanguinius.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's going to be funny as hell if Abbadon kills Horus and Big E kills Sanguinius.

I've been waiting for that moment in the HH series when they really just flip the fukkin script.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 18, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
so the LE is going at....10AM GMT and I gotta wake up at 5:45/6AM EST to make it?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i love that he doesnt even know where he is half the time and he just kinda wings it and its clear this has happened a couple times and he just hears voices and poo poo. like chaos outside angron always gives its puppets JUST ENOUGH freedom and brains to play the game and think they have their own minds. its great. its why i love chaos when well written.

I thought that was all an act he was putting on as part of his trap for the Emperor, like he was always lucid but just playing it up so that not even his officers know what's up. Plus, and I didn't actually read the book where this happened lol, but isn't he like not actually Horus anymore? Maloghurst killed his soul and he's essentially pure Chaos at this point? Not sure what's up with that

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

He's like a mask stretched over a black hole. What's left of Horus is just a vessel for the nearly unlimited power of the Dark Gods made manifest.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

I thought that was all an act he was putting on as part of his trap for the Emperor, like he was always lucid but just playing it up so that not even his officers know what's up. Plus, and I didn't actually read the book where this happened lol, but isn't he like not actually Horus anymore? Maloghurst killed his soul and he's essentially pure Chaos at this point? Not sure what's up with that

Yeah it's pretty clear that Horus was sitting in his command chair doing the same thing the Emperor was doing. He's shifting futures and hiding pathways so the Emperor would make the worst decision possible, then immediately dropped the pretense completely once the teleport strike went out and he had him. Because the war was never physical, the pandemonium being fought out on Terra is just backdrop to the battle for humanity's soul.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Waroduce posted:

so the LE is going at....10AM GMT and I gotta wake up at 5:45/6AM EST to make it?

When is TEATD II actually going on sale? The announcements never make it clear.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Waroduce posted:

Normally they go up about 1pm EDT, I think. Someone else can confirm.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

DaysBefore posted:

I thought that was all an act he was putting on as part of his trap for the Emperor, like he was always lucid but just playing it up so that not even his officers know what's up.

Yeah, this was how I read it as well. Also, there was some severe warp fuckery going on, since the Vengeful Spirit's shields were down while the Scars had retaken the Lion's Gate surface batteries and no matter what they tried they couldn't actually hit the ship, since it was necessary for that ship to be the final showdown between the Emps and Horus.

I wonder if there's any ratings still on the Vengeful Spirit who are still human enough to be confused by everything going on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, this was how I read it as well. Also, there was some severe warp fuckery going on, since the Vengeful Spirit's shields were down while the Scars had retaken the Lion's Gate surface batteries and no matter what they tried they couldn't actually hit the ship, since it was necessary for that ship to be the final showdown between the Emps and Horus.

I wonder if there's any ratings still on the Vengeful Spirit who are still human enough to be confused by everything going on.

yeah i do genuinly love how chaos operates of story book logic, its why abaddon loving hates it so much. you can't just be real and "march to terra and rip off Big E skull head" you have to have arcs and poo poo. there is a quote from a fantasy book i love that kinda sums up.

quote:

“The true secret in being a hero lies in knowing the order of things. The swineherd cannot already be wed to the princess when he embarks on his adventures, nor can the boy knock on the witch's door when she is already away on vacation. The wicked uncle cannot be found out and foiled before he does something wicked. Things must happen when it is time for them to happen. Quests may not simply be abandoned; prophecies may not be left to rot like unpicked fruit; unicorns may go unrescued for a very long time, but not forever. The happy ending cannot come in the middle of the story.”
Chaos needs a complete narrative because it feeds on emotion or whatever, it can't have a "quick blitzkrieg to the heart of terra" so abaddon has to keep in limbo until he meets that Strog demon or whatever. Chaos is the kid at bedtime demanding uncle abadon read the story fully and correctly drat it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Waroduce posted:

I'm about 1/3rd of the way through Genefather and the characters and plot and setting are doing alot to carry my interest bc the writing is not great op

It's really not.

I should like Cawl but he feels so...out of place. Know-it-all inventor guy getting away with hijinks with a super-spaceship terraforming planets at will just feels wrong in 40K. They even include a goofy Inquisitor-magos for him to clown on and just keep being Best Guy. Ohhh sure, someday something bad will happen due to him taunting the Inquisition/cloning a primarch's brain and psyche/loving around with xenos tech/serially reviving multiples of his friend at the same time, but not this time!*

He feels like...dropping ahriman and a bunch of rubrics into Star Trek: the Next Generation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Everyone's last words in the Siege will be "oops"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sephyr posted:

It's really not.

I should like Cawl but he feels so...out of place. Know-it-all inventor guy getting away with hijinks with a super-spaceship terraforming planets at will just feels wrong in 40K. They even include a goofy Inquisitor-magos for him to clown on and just keep being Best Guy. Ohhh sure, someday something bad will happen due to him taunting the Inquisition/cloning a primarch's brain and psyche/loving around with xenos tech/serially reviving multiples of his friend at the same time, but not this time!*

He feels like...dropping ahriman and a bunch of rubrics into Star Trek: the Next Generation.

yeah i am just gonna wait for fall of cadia and dead men walking.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Sephyr posted:

It's really not.

I see where you're coming from but I disagree. I like that there's a character who can kind of waltz through the madness of the setting without being a grim rear end in a top hat. He's sort of an Imperial Trazyn.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In the old fluff a core of the real original Horus remains and is still there so I guess we will see if that Carries through.

My guess is abnett has some big changes in store.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Baron Porkface posted:

I've been waiting for that moment in the HH series when they really just flick the fukkin script.

The view zooms (it's said in the tone of Keeble's booms) out of the action until you realize you're looking at an eye, and then a face. Curze's face, when he meets big E for the first time. Curze goes "oh, oh no, oh dear" and throws himself into a nearby vat of molten adamantium.

Everything up and to the events happening in the timeline now is revealed to be a vision. The galaxy is saved for some reason, but without the flare of the Heresy lighting up the galaxy, the tyranids go for Andromeda instead, and the Old Ones rise from the otherdimensional cages that the shadows cast by the tyranids kept shut. Bok. Bok.

a lovely king posted:

When is TEATD II actually going on sale? The announcements never make it clear.

I believe we are 65 hours and five minutes ±15m from the drop.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Sephyr posted:

I'm sensing... smugness. A massive and overwhelming sense of superiority unlike anything I've encountered before, other than my mother.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

OPAONI posted:

I see where you're coming from but I disagree. I like that there's a character who can kind of waltz through the madness of the setting without being a grim rear end in a top hat. He's sort of an Imperial Trazyn.

Having the setting be uniformly grim fanatics is just as bad. But your odd-person-out has to eat poo poo sometimes, or else either the story starts to come apart ("Why doesn't -everyone- just poo poo on the Inquisition, then?"), or they become a a Samuel Haight* grade nerd Mary Sue.

"Yeah, my guy is the best inventor but he also knows psyker stuff and he's pals with all Primarchs and his starship beats everyone's and he's better at Necron stuff than Necrons and his girlfriend is the lost 2nd Primarch that was exiled to Space Canada for being too hot"

*I feel someone should shove in a locker for making this reference, but there you go.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sephyr posted:

*I feel someone should shove in a locker for making this reference
or made into an ashtray

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

euphronius posted:

In the old fluff a core of the real original Horus remains and is still there so I guess we will see if that Carries through.

My guess is abnett has some big changes in store.

I expecting some sort of time fuckery or big changes to chaos, given some of the character deaths. Khârn especially comes to mind.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

I expecting some sort of time fuckery or big changes to chaos, given some of the character deaths. Khârn especially comes to mind.

Wasn't the earliest Khârn lore always that he was killed on Terra and carried off planet, where he miraculously revived? Then Skalthralax was the next time he was lore relevant.

Which big change to Kharn are you referring to?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

yeah I expect Kharn will just wake up like the inverted doom slayer and get back to business

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Didn't Khârn respawn on the Conqueror after Sigismund ended him on Terra? But stuck in noclip mode and couldn't leave or was that just all in Lotara's head?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Didn't Khârn respawn on the Conqueror after Sigismund ended him on Terra? But stuck in noclip mode and couldn't leave or was that just all in Lotara's head?

Echoes of Eternity Spoilers
They mention in Echoes of Eternity that the Conquerer is haunted by the dead, and as Kharn hasn't revived yet I guess he counts.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

AndyElusive posted:

That's not even the real Lotara. The Conqueror is haunted as hell.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

wiegieman posted:

That's not even the real Lotara. The Conqueror is haunted as hell.

God drat that part was good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Biplane posted:

God drat that part was good

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

yeah I expect Kharn will just wake up like the inverted doom slayer and get back to business

That happens in an already published book. Might have been 'Chosen of Khorne'. Legion is in the Eye, breaking further apart, there's an Emperor's Children legionary on board, and Kharn's body is kept as a kind of relic.

Then they meet an EC fleet over a suitable planet, things go to poo poo, and Kharn wakes up.

It's not a very good book. Can't think of a good Karn book post-Heresy, but it gets a bit of a pass because it's hard to write well for a character that is mostly frothing violence. Same goes for daemon-prince Angron.

Oddly, Kargos shows up alive and in a leadership position in that book, which seems to go against the events of Echoes of Eternity. I wonder if they just weren't decided on the fate of the character then or if it was just an oversight.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Oddly, Kargos shows up alive and in a leadership position in that book, which seems to go against the events of Echoes of Eternity. I wonder if they just weren't decided on the fate of the character then or if it was just an oversight.

Kargos Bloodspitter first turns up as as an illustration in 2nd Ed 40K and it's badass

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

I read the first few Ciaphas Cain books over a decade ago and found them very samey. Did they get more varied or is it more Juergen smells and gosh, I tried to run away and defeated all of them?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

a lovely king posted:

Wasn't the earliest Khârn lore always that he was killed on Terra and carried off planet, where he miraculously revived? Then Skalthralax was the next time he was lore relevant.

Which big change to Kharn are you referring to?

Maybe I had misremembered Khârn's original plot then. Falkus might be the better example. Or Kargos. My guess is either time fuckery, which I hope it isn't, or the warp reanimating a looot of chaos marines.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

wiegieman posted:

He's like a mask stretched over a black hole. What's left of Horus is just a vessel for the nearly unlimited power of the Dark Gods made manifest.

Badass description

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

The Malthusian posted:

I read the first few Ciaphas Cain books over a decade ago and found them very samey. Did they get more varied or is it more Juergen smells and gosh, I tried to run away and defeated all of them?

They're very samey. Best read in between other books.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kargos Bloodspitter first turns up as as an illustration in 2nd Ed 40K and it's badass

His quote for that image is even MORE badass.

Here's hoping writers give khornates a bit more variation. Just Lheor Firefist isn't enough!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
My fixation on the Iron Hands means that the brief mention of them in The End And The Death 1 makes me happy.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The Malthusian posted:

The first 3 or 4 are VERY samey. They get about it around book 5 or 6.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear that Horus was sitting in his command chair doing the same thing the Emperor was doing. He's shifting futures and hiding pathways so the Emperor would make the worst decision possible, then immediately dropped the pretense completely once the teleport strike went out and he had him. Because the war was never physical, the pandemonium being fought out on Terra is just backdrop to the battle for humanity's soul.

Actually need to disagree and I'd suggest it's anything but clear. It read to me as Horus' psyche being effectively smothered and exiled from his own body by Chaos. He has these moments of lucidity where he's pulled back to reality by something pressing but he can't even admit to himself that he's lost control. He lies to his subordinates to wing it and quickly persuades himself that it was just a momentary tick, just caused by exhaustion or distraction. Malcador is able to visit the Emperor off in the Warp and he's equally unresponsive but there's never any suggestion he's unaware of what's going on or that he thinks he's somewhere/when else. Horus won't admit to himself he's being influenced or that he's less capable than he was. He's got more magic mojo and that just proves he's gotten better, he can totally handle this power and anyone saying otherwise needs to be stamped out. He is showing the kind of behaviour an out of control addict who is in denial would and it's clear he's coming up with post facto plans to explain why a lot of what's happening is happening.

The description of Horus as a mask over a black hole is pretty loving great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

at this point in the siege Horus is basically the Dark King’s cocoon, he’s a vaguely person shaped vortex of pure warp energy coalescing into a new divinity