Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

maxwellhill posted:

If i had smoked more tobacco none of this would have happened

You're thinking of weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I’m going to change my approach and start doing things that put me at severe risk and disadvantage against covid in order to confuse it, giving me the opportunity to deliver the coup de grâce that ends this once and for all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shiroc posted:

I’m going to change my approach and start doing things that put me at severe risk and disadvantage against covid in order to confuse it, giving me the opportunity to deliver the coup de grâce that ends this once and for all.

This is distinguishable from the actions of our so‐called leaders only in that you intend to defeat it in the end.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I imagine it playing out like the end of Matrix Revolutions

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

If you mean Novavax, European Medicines Agency have not approved the updated vaccine yet, so you can't get it.

Otherwise and in a general sense, Pfizer, Moderna and Novavax have all been updated to target XBB.1.5. That's pretty much it, relative efficacy of the different ones, is not something we have meaningful data on, beyond results from the last batch of Novavax indicating a greater resilience towards new variants.

There has been some testing showing that they produce antibodies against the current variants, including BA.2.86, but whether that will hold up against BA.2.86.* is imo much less certain.

Thanks, but I meant the blurb I read about a recalled shipment that generated mysterious air bubbles or something.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

Thanks, but I meant the blurb I read about a recalled shipment that generated mysterious air bubbles or something.

Oh that, well I don't think that really is anything. It isn't the first time it has happened with Pfizer, here is the Swiss medicines agency about a similar thing happening 2 November, 2022:
https://www.swissmedic.ch/swissmedic/en/home/news/coronavirus-covid-19/comirnaty-bivalent-risikoabklaerung.html

The suspected culprit was air pressure or temperature differential. I would imagine it might just be down to a process of pre-preparing shots for the current mass vaccination of the old :shrug:

Essentially this:

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/sci-tech/swiss-drugs-regulator-looking-into-bubbles-in-covid-booster-vials/48027458 posted:

(..)
"Laboratory analysis of the vials did not reveal any indications of a specific problem with the vaccine," Swissmedic stated on FridayExternal link, adding that: "There is no risk to people who have already been vaccinated."

The regulator believes that pressure or temparature factors whilst preparing vaccines caused the bubbles.

Swissmedic had been informed by vaccination centres of the appearance of bubbles during the preparation of the updated vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech targeting the original version of the coronavirus and the BA.1 Omicron variant that led to a record surge in cases last winter.

The batch concerned had contained bubbles after being removed from the fridge. The phenomenon was accentuated when the syringes were prepared several hours in advance.
(..)

Pingui has issued a correction as of 11:44 on Oct 18, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re welcome to send me bubblyvax for responsible disposal.

I will ærosolize and inhale it.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
night 3 is not treating me well. by far my worst throat pain ever and i'm no stranger to it. unnatural feeling to the point where i'm wondering if it will swell shut. it stopped responding to chloroseptic a day ago, about the time i stopped being able to easily swallow spit. ibuprofen seems to help after an hour, but it's getting almost impossible to swallow one once it wears off. this is brutal and i could see winding up in a hospital. could reflux i can't feel be playing a part? idk

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

If you've got a shared wall, you might have a shared plenum space or something like that, a shared wall that develops positive pressure on their side sometimes, etc. There's a million ways to get a little puff of virus air from one way to another on a million to one chance, and that's all it takes. It sucks, but trying to Sherlock Holmes it probably isn't going to get you anywhere. Going this long without getting it means whatever you're doing is working.

When I setup a negative pressure room for my wife one time, there was an extraordinary amount of air moving between the two spaces that I had to seal bit-by-bit. Even a small pressure imbalance caused a huge amount of flow, so yeah with a shared wall only a slight pressure imbalance caused by one or both of you having open windows or doors and a breeze outside can move a massive amount of air between the buildings very quickly. That's not even counting what might be happening with attic spaces and ventilation. Unless exceptional steps have been taken to seal them, it's going to be nearly impossible to isolate the air spaces in apartments or condos.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I should note that there have been a ton of ads for novavax over the past couple of weeks

they’re not very good though

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

maxwellhill posted:

night 3 is not treating me well. by far my worst throat pain ever and i'm no stranger to it. unnatural feeling to the point where i'm wondering if it will swell shut. it stopped responding to chloroseptic a day ago, about the time i stopped being able to easily swallow spit. ibuprofen seems to help after an hour, but it's getting almost impossible to swallow one once it wears off. this is brutal and i could see winding up in a hospital. could reflux i can't feel be playing a part? idk

I'm sorry I don't think you've read this article yet.

quote:

At this point in the history of COVID-19, much has changed. The virus is more familiar to scientists, it has mutated to cause milder illness in most people, and mask mandates are unlikely to return.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...1&ei=24#image=1

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I'm sorry I don't think you've read this article yet.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...1&ei=24#image=1

What You Should Do After Getting COVID in 2023, Says CDC

It's just inevitable, nothing to be done, lmao

That movie from the late nineties about the asteroid that was about to hit earth is a relic of a different era where we could imagine actually trying to fix problems

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Now 21 hours after Mothing Up and still experiencing basically zero side effects. Arm is a teensy bit sore but less so than any other shot I've gotten in recent memory. Woke up kinda sweaty in the middle of the night but that's just as likely to have been vaccine side effect as it was my big fat cat deciding to snuggle up real close.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

maxwellhill posted:

You can just take the pills rectally if you can’t swallow them

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Nuvaxovid (aka Novavax) now potentially available in the UK:

https://ir.novavax.com/press-releas...-United-Kingdom posted:

Novavax Receives Full Marketing Authorization for Prototype COVID-19 Vaccine Nuvaxovid™ ▼ in United Kingdom

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

majority of people on my bus wearing a mask today :unsmith:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

My only side effects from novavax day after are:

Pain at the injection site
Some body aches, but less than Pfizer
A horrific hosed up nightmare in which a bunch of zoo primates escaped, began oozing black liquid out of their eyes, and sprouted spider legs from their bodies before walking upside down on the ceiling with their original limbs hanging limply beneath them

Moth juice going well thank you

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Oldest Man posted:

My only side effects from novavax day after are:

Pain at the injection site
Some body aches, but less than Pfizer
A horrific hosed up nightmare in which a bunch of zoo primates escaped, began oozing black liquid out of their eyes, and sprouted spider legs from their bodies before walking upside down on the ceiling with their original limbs hanging limply beneath them

Moth juice going well thank you

just the moth man giving your dreams a little kiss

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

just the moth man giving your dreams a little kiss

side effects may include https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INtbv3cd1BA

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
hmm

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
lol the second uptick is hitting way sooner than i expected

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

The Top G posted:

You can just take the pills rectally if you can’t swallow them

haha

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

extra mild.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My doctor is only recommending Pfizer and Moderna but I’m going to get the novovax jab. I think it’s good to go for something different.

Just sucks the rinvoq I’m on will mute the response to any vaccine.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

My doctor is only recommending Pfizer and Moderna but I’m going to get the novovax jab. I think it’s good to go for something different.

reported for doubting your doctor

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Still haven't gotten my booster yet (was infected in August). I'm leaning towards Pfizer only because I had little to no reactions with it previously.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

lol did they say why?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

lol what? why?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/julia_doubleday/status/1714643287703769409?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw
https://twitter.com/mdc_martinus/status/1714379241502982276?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

What you thought public health was public health for people?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
So here's an anecdote. I work in heavy industry for a mid sized company with about 1000 or so employees and contractors. I got a print out today of the year to date fatalities. It's not just my company, but industry wide in the US. The interesting thing isn't the total number, but rather the ratio of accidents to natural causes.

"Employee found dead from natural causes, no equipment involved"
"Employee found unresponsive"
"Contractor sustained a medical emergency during a meeting"
"Employee collapsed due to unknown reasons"
"Employee had a heart attack while driving"

Of the 18 deaths that occured so far this year, 10 involved accidents like getting hit by equipment, falling, electrocution ect. 8 were "found unresponsive" or "employee collapsed" 2 of the accidental deaths were falls from unknown causes, in other words not a fall from height but rather falling down stairs or while getting on equipment and then hitting their head, most likely they had passed out for some reason.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fell Mood posted:

So here's an anecdote. I work in heavy industry for a mid sized company with about 1000 or so employees and contractors. I got a print out today of the year to date fatalities. It's not just my company, but industry wide in the US. The interesting thing isn't the total number, but rather the ratio of accidents to natural causes.

"Employee found dead from natural causes, no equipment involved"
"Employee found unresponsive"
"Contractor sustained a medical emergency during a meeting"
"Employee collapsed due to unknown reasons"
"Employee had a heart attack while driving"

Of the 18 deaths that occured so far this year, 10 involved accidents like getting hit by equipment, falling, electrocution ect. 8 were "found unresponsive" or "employee collapsed" 2 of the accidental deaths were falls from unknown causes, in other words not a fall from height but rather falling down stairs or while getting on equipment and then hitting their head, most likely they had passed out for some reason.

it was just there time 😌

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
been a moth slut for 24 hours and I'm feeling great

saw a few others waiting in line at Costco with their auras, and I always wonder if they're goons. on one hand, would be nice to say hello and strike up some public health solidarity. but, on the other hand

astral posted:

"antisocial media"

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol it's everything we thought it was

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

cruise mom covid update:

i explicitly told her to take it easy and rest as much as possible when she found out she was infected.

she decided once she was feeling better she would start going out and Doing Things again.

now after a week of that she is bedridden again with massive amounts of fatigue.

i'm so loving tired of this.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

The Oldest Man posted:

lol did they say why?

Insanite posted:

lol what? why?

I asked for specifics and all they said was the clinic is only recommending Pfizer and Moderna at this time for their patients. I thought it was odd and they are the largest medical provider in the state.

She didn’t have a better answer, maybe in time they will but for now I’m going with novavax anyway. It’s not a live vaccine so their shouldn’t be an issues for me.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That movie from the late nineties about the asteroid that was about to hit earth is a relic of a different era where we could imagine actually trying to fix problems

Um... Which one?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Too Many Birds posted:

cruise mom covid update:

i explicitly told her to take it easy and rest as much as possible when she found out she was infected.

she decided once she was feeling better she would start going out and Doing Things again.

now after a week of that she is bedridden again with massive amounts of fatigue.

i'm so loving tired of this.

thats loving awful, i'm sorry

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Tzen posted:

lol it's everything we thought it was

this william lang?

https://www.verywellhealth.com/nurse-unions-criticize-cdc-isolation-guidance-5215022

quote:

William Lang, MD, MHA, chief medical officer at WorldClinic and former White House physician, told Verywell that the CDC’s decision is based on the number of days that someone remains infectious with the Omicron variant.

“Everything about Omicron is much faster,” Lang said. Earlier in the pandemic, the period of transmission was about eight days after symptom onset. The window then narrowed to six days with Delta, and even fewer with Omicron, he added.

“If you’ve got something other than Omicron, in five days you may still be infectious,” Lang said. “But if you’re wearing a mask, you’re going to certainly be relatively well at protecting people from getting infected.”

Lang explained that the CDC made a “calculated risk assessment” and that the relative risk of reducing quarantine time is “very low.”

years of putting in work for the virus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug
Kaiser isn't covering Covid vaccines out of network, and doesn't have Novavax in their system in the Bay Area. :smith:

In this case, it seems better to be uninsured since the Bridge Access Program exists.