Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
BUY THE DRIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Boxturret posted:

When it rains do they think its the hedgefund's weather control satellites attempting to cause floods to drive them from their homes?

:byodood: THEY’RE SHORTING THE SUN

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

yook posted:

BUY THE DRIP
/

A butterfly would never lie to me. It's happening, bois!!!11

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

yook posted:

BUY THE DRIP

genuinely thought your avatar was a flexing moth

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

JAnon posted:

genuinely thought your avatar was a flexing moth

Butterfly conversion confirmed? Big if true

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
So, hear me out:

Ape NFTs are currently worth nothing. If we all get together and buy them, we can control the price!

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Mercury_Storm posted:

Apes seem to think they can keep dying companies running (and go to the moon, etc. etc. etc.) just by buying stock, but do companies ever actually use proceeds from stock to fund business operations rather than it just going into investor pockets?

In addition to what others have said, this is one of the main purposes of an IPO. Oftentimes a company will decide to go public because that is a way to raise a lot of capital which can be re-invested into the business (although another one of the main goals of an IPO is to give early investors a chance to cash out their investment as well). This is not really relevant for apes, but as a general principle, the initial offering of stock does usually serve that purpose at least partially.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
So what is the point of a stock buyback that you hear about companies doing? Admittedly I’m just now understanding that they only make money on the initial offering of new shares. What’s in it for them to buy them back then?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Lt. Cock posted:

So what is the point of a stock buyback that you hear about companies doing? Admittedly I’m just now understanding that they only make money on the initial offering of new shares. What’s in it for them to buy them back then?
A company worth $100 issues 100 shares (the float), making them worth $1 apiece.

I own 20 of these shares making my stake $20.

The company buys back 50 of the shares, thus leaving only 50 shares outstanding. The company is still worth $100. The 50 shares now represent $100 in value and thus are worth $20 apiece.

My 20 shares are now worth $40.

These numbers are dumb and simple and not close to what actually happens but you get the point. If a company does this regularly, investors can infer that they will keep on doing it, so they create the expectation that their stock price will increase, and it can lead to their stock price trading higher on top of the pure increase in value. It can also be more attractive to investors than other mechanisms like dividends because it doesn't create a tax burden.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 17, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lt. Cock posted:

When a company issues shares, it essentially sells some of its own shares, which makes it money but lowers the price of the stock by increasing supply. A stock buyback is the opposite of that. When a company buys its own stock it spends money to take the stock off the market, decreasing the supply and raising the price. This increases the value of assets held by those who still own shares. Thus, companies like doing stock buybacks because they achieve the primary goal of a publicly-owned business: increasing shareholder wealth.

It serves the same purpose as a dividend, but has a few attributes that make it more appealing than a dividend. For example, paying out dividends makes the stock price go down. This is intuitive: if a stock pays out a $1 dividend at 4:00 on the 15th of every month, then obviously the price you would pay to buy a share in that stock on the 15th at 4:01 is exactly $1 lower than you would pay at 3:59.

There are other benefits of stock buybacks and other reasons companies prefer doing them instead of dividends but now you get the gist. The reason why lovely dying companies do stock buybacks is because it’s a more legally defensible way of letting shareholders loot the sinking husk before creditors can get their share in bankruptcy.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

mega dy posted:

A company worth $100 issues 100 shares (the float), making them worth $1 apiece.

I own 20 of these shares making my stake $20.

The company buys back 50 of the shares, thus leaving only 50 shares outstanding. The company is still worth $100. The 50 shares now represent $100 in value and thus are worth $20 apiece.

My 20 shares are now worth $40.

These numbers are dumb and simple and not close to what actually happens but you get the point. If a company does this regularly, investors can infer that they will keep on doing it, so they create the expectation that their stock price will increase, and it can lead to their stock price trading higher on top of the pure increase in value. It can also be more attractive to investors than other mechanisms like dividends because it doesn't create a tax burden.

To make it a little bit closer to IRL:

When the company spends $50 to buy back shares, the value of the company drops by $50 (after all $50 just left), so you have 20 shares worth $20 still. However, now instead of owning 10% of any future cash flows, you own 20%, so if the company produces $10/yr you went from $1/yr to $2/yr. That increase in future cash flows is what increases the price of the shares.

Companies like doing stock buybacks because they both increase share price and also increase earnings per share (as there are less shares out there).

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
You see if you simply transfer a company’s cash on hand, or take out loans, and put them straight into the biggest shareholders bank accounts, it’s corrupt and illegal. But if you go through this convoluted system it’s fair and meritocratic and therefore Okay.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Giving cash on hand to shareholders isn't illegal. That's just an ordinary dividend that is the basic thing that a company is supposed to do. e.g. General Mills sells breakfast cereal, makes profit, gives profit to shareholders that own the company in proportion to their ownership stake. There is also very little different about that compared to a small business except scale ("Dentist owns a business => fixes teeth => makes profit => gets money")

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I love this thread because it's a poo poo posty dive into a deranged internet sub culture, but also I keep getting cool practical information about things that have felt incredibly esoteric to me my whole life

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
If you ever traded magic cards or pogs :corsair: as a kid you basically understand finance. MBA grads are dumb as poo poo: don't let them bamboozle you with jargon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

exmachina posted:

If you ever traded magic cards or pogs :corsair: as a kid you basically understand finance. MBA grads are dumb as poo poo: don't let them bamboozle you with jargon.

MBAs are basically just boy scout badges for useless rich idiots as an excuse to give them sinecures. So much about the world makes sense when you realise that.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Brokers are starting to delete BBBYQ shares from accounts. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find a silver lining.

That 'worthless' has to hurt

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Koburn posted:

Brokers are starting to delete BBBYQ shares from accounts. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find a silver lining.

This is just the precursor move to Ryan Cohen personally delivering them $1 billion in Teddy stock, don't worry.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Koburn posted:

Are the DRS'd shares also getting deleted? If so, I imagine the cries of agony will be especially loud.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Are the DRS'd shares also getting deleted? If so, I imagine the cries of agony will be especially loud.

I'd imagine the opposite: they have a PIECE OF PAPER proving they hold a share. Good thing they insisted on that!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Koburn posted:

Pretty sure this is what happened to the guy I posted the other day who was suing his brokerage lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Koburn posted:

God that screen is brutal

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Lol this is beatiful

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

LanceHunter posted:

I would imagine any DRS’d shares were immediately eliminated when the shares were cancelled. What we’re seeing now is brokers getting around to doing the cleanup work of removing the entries for these vacated shares from their databases. DRS shares are not in a brokers’ database, they are directly registered with the company.

That being said, DRS never really caught on with the BBBY apes like it did with the GME apes. I’m not quite sure why.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Shinjobi posted:

God that screen is brutal
Yeah seeing both "worthless" and "amount 0.00" is so darkly hilarious

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
thjey will pry those DRSed shares from my cold dead hands

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the shares are worth $0? that just means we can buy infinity shares for zero dollars and end up with infinity squared dollars

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
They are all legit parroting the line that "The shares need to be cancelled and removed before shares in the new company can be issued."

Bullish. My tits are jacked. Lambos!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

DRS shares stopped existing as soon as Bed Bath and Beyond 20230930-DK-Butterfly-1 stopped existing. They were records in a database administered by the company itself. When the company went away, there's no one left to administer that database, send out statements, process transfers, etc... Nobody would have gone through the expense and trouble to mail out a piece of paper in particular saying "By the way, these shares no longer exist", all correspondence and attempt to do anything with the former shares would just get trashed with no reply because it's not anyone's problem anymore.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hot tip: there are less expensive ways to learn this stuff.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
:lol: "Is anyone else seeing this issue??" The issue where you stuffed pocketfuls of cash into a toilet and now you just heard a flushing sound?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Well at least they're half right.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

LanceHunter posted:

The DRS shares were deleted first. Apes coped by saying that they were just moving transfer agents due to the reverse triangle secret merger.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Foxfire_ posted:

DRS shares stopped existing as soon as Bed Bath and Beyond 20230930-DK-Butterfly-1 stopped existing. They were records in a database administered by the company itself. When the company went away, there's no one left to administer that database, send out statements, process transfers, etc... Nobody would have gone through the expense and trouble to mail out a piece of paper in particular saying "By the way, these shares no longer exist", all correspondence and attempt to do anything with the former shares would just get trashed with no reply because it's not anyone's problem anymore.

But that database server has a gold fringe, meaning it only applies under admirality law, which means

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6K_Vi4qCtY

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

This person was literally under the impression that the government reimburses every American taxpayer for up to $3,000 worth of stock market losses per year.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
the shares will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ariong posted:

This person was literally under the impression that the government reimburses every American taxpayer for up to $3,000 worth of stock market losses per year.

That would be a good use of the tax revenue collected from people not making stupid investment decisions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Also, that last person was relying on $3k to not be financially ruined

That makes me sad