Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i think blocking yourself from seeing any kind of brand logo like they're a cognitohazard or something is pretty silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You watch the Superbowl for the ads

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

hbag posted:

i think blocking yourself from seeing any kind of brand logo like they're a cognitohazard or something is pretty silly

Spoken like a true corpo cop

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

hbag posted:

Me: A virgin adblocker
You: Sigma Chad ad enjoyer.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah pretty much

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
We here at PragerU really want to tell you about our overbearing conservative beliefs and inform you how correct they are! Why won't you watch our ads??

64fanatic
Oct 21, 2008

So crazy? DON'T MIND IF I DO!

hot date tonight! posted:

I love revanced on android but there are desktop alternatives like https://freetubeapp.io/ or https://invidious.io/. Firefox with ubo working fine though for most people.

Many good alternatives, I'm more after a hassle free set up that still lets me have access to the Home/Featured feed based on my watch history when I'm logged in.

Oct 17, 2023
we just have to ride this out until its called by a multiuniversal super-council

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Seems like Youtube keeps changing the code to match whatever uBlock Origin was doing to get around the ads. Was working for a while then it stopped and was giving me a countdown at the start of videos, now they've replaced those with threatening "Only 3 more videos before SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS" messages. If they really want to force people to watch ads they have the resources to do so, I don't see adblockers winning a back and forth. Guess I'll use something else as a music player only use Youtube if there's no other option.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I mean, so what if they ban my YouTube account? I can just rereg for free. It'll suck going back and subscribing to the 60 mostly dead channels I watch again, but y'know.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

hbag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV51VmXoN-M&t=10s

truly, the life i want to live

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Product placement is the type of advert that always seems to have affected me the most. I scoff at commercials with dumb jingles and slogans, but when I see someone buy a Pepsi in a movie I sometimes catch myself going "Man I could go for a Pepsi now that I think about it"

If the Truman Show were real it would be like, a bigger ad market than the Super Bowl

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

emSparkly posted:

Product placement is the type of advert that always seems to have affected me the most. I scoff at commercials with dumb jingles and slogans, but when I see someone buy a Pepsi in a movie I sometimes catch myself going "Man I could go for a Pepsi now that I think about it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdVP2XxV3QU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

hbag posted:

ads are like socially acceptable brainwashing, theres dudes in rooms right now trying to work out how best to subvert your best interest with them, the only thing that makes it less hosed up is that all the research is fake and it doesnt work

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Vagabong posted:

theres dudes in rooms right now trying to work out how best to subvert your best interest with them, the only thing that makes it less hosed up is that all the research is fake and it doesnt work

Is it? I guess it's based on psychological studies/research.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just criminalize advertising and email everyone a pdf with the website of businesses organized by alphabets algorithms

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah it's hosed up they stopped making phone books

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

this ad block blocker thing was all very funny and cool yesterday when it wasn't happening to me but hey what the gently caress, how do you unblock their stupid block the adblocker block

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

hbag posted:

I just don't want to waste my time on something that is useless to me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I ended up in the 3-strike zone on Firefox, and tried the methods up-thread to get around it and no dice. Thinking I would just suck it up and watch with ads seemed like an ok idea at first but my gods I've forgotten how bad they are. Probably a good excuse to get my time back and stop watching videos. Anything I really want ot watch I'll use yt-dlp until a solution rolls around.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

hbag posted:

one of the big throughlines in modern marketing is to bombard your audience with so many ads that eventually they will cave

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I still haven't seen the warning yet, but I'll never cave. Youtube doesn't realize how stubborn I can be when it comes to corporations trying to force things on me I don't want. They can get hosed.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Vagabong posted:

ads are like socially acceptable brainwashing, theres dudes in rooms right now trying to work out how best to subvert your best interest with them, the only thing that makes it less hosed up is that all the research is fake and it doesnt work

Space Kablooey posted:

one of the big throughlines in modern marketing is to bombard your audience with so many ads that eventually they will cave

seeing the "dr pepper" logo on a bottle of dr pepper is not "brainwashing" come on now

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I still haven't seen the warning yet, but I'll never cave. Youtube doesn't realize how stubborn I can be when it comes to corporations trying to force things on me I don't want. They can get hosed.

Same. I'm gonna be like one of those Japanese soldiers who went into hiding on all those Pacific islands because they were told never to surrender, and still rocking some absurd Rube Goldberg contraption of adblockers like 80 years from now.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

maybe if they weren't accepting ads from groups that would earn you a perma here on SA I wouldn't use a blocker, loving Epoch Times

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Remember when Google said their slogan was "do no evil? :laugh:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

they changed it to ad no evil

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

roomtone posted:

they changed it to "ad no? evil."

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

busalover posted:

Is it? I guess it's based on psychological studies/research.

Nah it's not fake. A lot of the older color theory type stuff is fake or bad because it relied on self-reports from focus groups but that stuff is obsolete. Modern marketing research is done through studying behavioral patterns of users through advanced surveillance capitalism techniques like tracking cookies, always-on microphones, and gps location. Modern cars are called "wiretaps on wheels" because of the absurd amount of behavioral data they're skimming from you every time you drive them, which all gets fed to market research firms who model out accurate behavioral patterns with them. Virtually any device you have that has even a rudimentary computer in it is contributing to this.

A real world example of how far this stuff goes is the case a few years ago where Target predicted a teen girl's pregnancy before she knew about it, and they announced it to her family by sending her dad coupons for baby products. They're able to accurately model out the behavior of pregnant women (in this case what clued them in was largely her switching to a non-fragrant shampoo). They now intimately know your demographics and they target you with ads tailored specifically to your demographics. By sending her coupons for baby products right around when they know she's first learning about her pregnancy, she's much more likely to use those coupons.

Google is going even further with it because they can e.g. sell demographics as foot traffic to brick & mortar businesses through the proxy of Pokemon go lures.

Cambridge Analytica literally used these tactics to put a POTUS candidate in office. It works.

Financial institutions know who your friends and close associations are through things like proximity of purchases, and they know that e.g. if someone advertises to both of you at the same time you become more likely to talk to each other about the product and purchase it. So they sell that information to advertising agencies.

Modern advertising goes way the gently caress beyond advertising products and maximizing turnover (like the 'uncomfortable seats in mcdonalds' thing) and leans hard into subversively influencing behavior, and if they're doing their job "right" (they are) you won't even recognize it as advertising.

This video is a good surface-level introduction to what advertising/marketing research is in the digital IoT age by the woman who literally wrote the book on surveillance capitalism:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 19, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Came here for advice to get around on chrome. Sad to see someone legitimately defending ads for some reason.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

why would capitalism allow someone to insult capitalism

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

roomtone posted:

why would capitalism allow someone to insult capitalism

That's the funny thing about capitalism, it is actually quite receptive to absorbing criticism into itself and capitalizing on those critiques in various ways. rather insidious.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I haven’t had a message on my PC with chrome and ad blocker as yet, watching on my TV with full ads is painful enough, I’ve been using Steam Link to stream from my PC if I’m watching anything for a while

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Came here for advice to get around on chrome. Sad to see someone legitimately defending ads for some reason.

Replace Chrome with Firefox like anyone smart did years ago. Would you rather use the web browser from a non-profit or a literal ad company?

"Ad blockers are not allowed on Chrome" is going to be next, mark my words.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

radiolab had a episode about climate change and weather forecasting, and supposedly walmart uses micro weather forecasts for pushing out meat coupons/deals. supposedly xclear skys are steak cooking weather and burgers are cloudy or overcast.

i dunno marketing and ads seems like bs tealeaf reading imo and there still seems to be a rather bad accuracy.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Replace Chrome with Firefox like anyone smart did years ago. Would you rather use the web browser from a non-profit or a literal ad company?

"Ad blockers are not allowed on Chrome" is going to be next, mark my words.

Literally could not think of a compelling argument against this.

It's weird how like every 10-12 years I move away from Mozilla, then back to it.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

DrSunshine posted:

Do you think a person could, as an individual, get paid to insert ads into their regular ordinary life? Like they're just having a conversation with people and segue into sponsorship pitches, recording themselves doing it for proof.

I literally got a letter from my car insurance company saying they were looking for brand ambassadors in my town to go and do this part time on weekend car meets and things for commission pay, so yes, absolutely. On an entirely unrelated note, if you're a motoring enthusiast looking for insurance call Shannon's today for an obligation free quote!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The thing about sponsor segments in YouTube videos is while I don't like them I get it. No one is making actual money from YouTube. It's why every channel is either getting sponsored for each video, or they have a patreon or similar.

If YouTube was like, "oh we're gonna pay creators a proper rare, banning ad segments and also there'll be some ads" I would honestly be inclined to say gently caress it, sure. Defending ads for the corporation and ignoring the sweatshop creators is some mindbendingly hosed thinking.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

mindbendingly hosed thinking pairs well with the taste of boot polish after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

emSparkly posted:

If the Truman Show were real it would be like, a bigger ad market than the Super Bowl

That's the one bad mark against Get Out, I could suspend my disbelief until everyone was using Windows Phones and searching with Bing