Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

harperdc posted:

Yeah, this is my rough understanding as well.

I hope they pull levers and stop printing money such that we go back more towards 110-100 to $1, but I’m more wishing than hopeful there.

Not going to happen unless the BOJ raise interest rates which they're adamant about not wanting to do. Doesn't make as much sense to stock up on yen when you can get significantly higher interest rates in other currencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Oooh, in Odaiba right next to Gundam Base! I'll have to stop by I think!!!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Japanese arcades are rad and I have no idea what’s going on with like 80% of the games. The ones where you use cards look cool, I’d probably be into that if I had access at home.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Original_Z posted:

Not going to happen unless the BOJ raise interest rates which they're adamant about not wanting to do. Doesn't make as much sense to stock up on yen when you can get significantly higher interest rates in other currencies.

My interest isn’t in savings or investment, it’s because my paycheck is in yen and it’d be nice to not pay 140:$1 if I want to visit the U.S.

Kaddish posted:

Japanese arcades are rad and I have no idea what’s going on with like 80% of the games. The ones where you use cards look cool, I’d probably be into that if I had access at home.

Sadly most of them now are card games, print photo booths, or gambling-adjacent stuff including crane games. There are still a few that have a ton of classic machines but they’re rarer and rarer.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My kid is into the Pokemon MEZASTAR game. You get 1-5 new tags each time you play. Luckily I manage to limit sessions to once every few months.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

They're gateways for kids to get into pachinko

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm planning to play (fiddle around) with the Gundam Arsenal Base game and take home a bunch of cards probably.

Also speaking of the Tigers, I just found out about the Curse of the Colonel while googling random stuff lol

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

Kaddish posted:

Day 2 of 5 staying in dotonbori and not sure if we regret it yet. It’s a madhouse.

I'll be there Sunday, staying at the Holiday Inn. I'm anxious now 😳

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's just a lot of people milling around, you'll be fine

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Last time I was in Dontonbori we watched a girl in formal wear scream at her boyfriend like a TV drama, and then she smacked him loudly across the face but he did a complete no sell.

Then we walked a little bit down the road and watched paramedics wheel a middle aged salary man down the arcade in a gurney followed by a procession of other salarymen.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
We saw a Japanese young person just covered in vomit and slumped against a wall with a girl crying/yelling over him.

This scene was repeated twice in like 15 minutes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I saw some people standing on one leg with their arms in the air.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I saw one of the babies and the baby looked at me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I saw a dude frozen in place and would dance for tips but I didn’t tip him and I’ve regretted it for days.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Is there a place in Tokyo I can donate electronics and things? Due to various reasons* I have a super famicom game that I don’t need. I figured I could sell it at Hard Off for near nothing just so I wouldn’t have to bring them home but nope, they asked for a resident card and wouldn’t buy without one. I tried just saying take for free but they wouldn’t lol.

* I saw a game I thought my friend would like for like 330 yen and bought it but he got back to me later and said he was surprised to find he already had it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Femtosecond posted:

Is there a place in Tokyo I can donate electronics and things? Due to various reasons* I have a super famicom game that I don’t need. I figured I could sell it at Hard Off for near nothing just so I wouldn’t have to bring them home but nope, they asked for a resident card and wouldn’t buy without one. I tried just saying take for free but they wouldn’t lol.

* I saw a game I thought my friend would like for like 330 yen and bought it but he got back to me later and said he was surprised to find he already had it.

I’ll take it if you’ll be near Tokyo station this coming Sunday.

Edit - i misread that as a super famicom system and not cart.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 19, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

Highlight of the Yokohama Gundam Factory. A lot of people with really nice glass on their cameras there. There's on guy on the dock tour (the tickets that get you up on the viewing platform) went up with a lot of gear. Tripods aren't allowed but he had a crane and so on. What they don't tell you is you are limited on how much time you can be up front (time for 5 pictures only) and they rotate groups between floors. So basically he went expecting to set up all his gear and squat a spot for the whole show and kids were bouncing in and around him and it was impossible to get a good video. He just went handheld photos only, kind of grumpy.

Just a lil schadenfreude for my Gundam day.

Lmao

I was just at the Gundam Factory Yokohama myself today. I'll be honest, I was kinda underwhelmed in the end. Cool robot and all, but the store didn't even have a particularly amazing gunpla selection outside of the exclusives. I picked up an exclusive Haro and that was it really.

I did pick up an MG Zeta ver Ka for 25% off in Akihabara the other day though, that ruled.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 19, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

Same as extra coins - put in shrine/temple donation box.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

Lmao

I was just at the Gundam Factory Yokohama myself today. I'll be honest, I was kinda underwhelmed in the end. Cool robot and all, but the store didn't even have a particularly amazing gunpla selection outside of the exclusives. I picked up an exclusive Haro and that was it really.

I did pick up an MG Zeta ver Ka for 25% off in Akihabara the other day though, that ruled.

Yeah the selection isn't as big as Odaiba's, but I also grabbed the exclusives to put on my pile of a backlog.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Well Donki is both the best and worst store I’ve ever seen. The Schrödinger’s cat of stores.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Kaddish posted:

Well Donki is both the best and worst store I’ve ever seen. The Schrödinger’s cat of stores.

New thread title.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes, you're doing it right.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah the selection isn't as big as Odaiba's, but I also grabbed the exclusives to put on my pile of a backlog.

If you’re referring to the store right next to the Gundam near the mall on Odaiba…I was there a couple weeks back and that store is gone. Don’t know if they moved it into the mall proper.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

harperdc posted:

If you’re referring to the store right next to the Gundam near the mall on Odaiba…I was there a couple weeks back and that store is gone. Don’t know if they moved it into the mall proper.

That store next to the statue was just a convenience thing. The mall the statue is next to has a large Gundam area on the top floor called Gundam Base with a bunch of stuff.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Just a stupidly pretty sunset at Kiyomizudera today. We caught the last hour of it being open.

I’m ready to leave the amusement park that is Kyoto though. The locals hate you, and after a month in the inaka and living in NYC I’m also over huge groups of tourists and can empathize.

We decided to go to Sendai after our tattoo appointments in Tokyo. Hopefully more nature walks in Buddhist temples and less dodging instagram influencers.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 19, 2023

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

.Z. posted:

That store next to the statue was just a convenience thing. The mall the statue is next to has a large Gundam area on the top floor called Gundam Base with a bunch of stuff.

The Yokohama Gundam Factory has a similar situation going on, you don't NEED to go inside to make a purchase as they have a small trailer outside that sells kits.

I did go to Diver City this trip but didn't go into the Gundam Base unfortunately. The line just to get tickets was insane and I was on limited time.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Blackchamber posted:

The Yokohama Gundam Factory has a similar situation going on, you don't NEED to go inside to make a purchase as they have a small trailer outside that sells kits.

I did go to Diver City this trip but didn't go into the Gundam Base unfortunately. The line just to get tickets was insane and I was on limited time.

Wait, you need tickets to go in now? (Gundam Base at Diver City)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I legit thought of just going to hard off and sneakily putting this thing in the junk aisle but seems like a very bad idea lol. I’ll probably just end up taking this thing home.

Anyway trip almost done. I feel like getting my nieces and nephews some ~wacky~ Japanese candy (green Kit Kats!) could be a fun and easy gift.

Does anyone have an idea of some good places for that? I have def seen some Halloween candy on occasion but haven’t been paying super close attention. Maybe ground level of some department stores?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Donki, Picasso (also Donki) or drug stores.
Machioka.
Niki no Kashi.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Donki, of course.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Femtosecond posted:

Anyway trip almost done. I feel like getting my nieces and nephews some ~wacky~ Japanese candy (green Kit Kats!) could be a fun and easy gift.

Does anyone have an idea of some good places for that? I have def seen some Halloween candy on occasion but haven’t been paying super close attention. Maybe ground level of some department stores?

Donki is the answer.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Revitalized posted:

Wait, you need tickets to go in now? (Gundam Base at Diver City)

I dont think theres a fee involved, its just a store, but my understanding is that when it gets full/packed they use a ticket based entry system with times on them? It was wall to wall people the day I went so I figured something new must have hit the shelves.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Go to a bar and just give the game to a random person.

Okashi no machioka is where to go for sweets. Donki is mid tier targeting well known things for tourists. Machioka has that plus a ton of other things.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Donki rules

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Taps thread title.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I also bought these kids some completely random 500 yen ultra man bad guy monsters at hardoff. I think with some candy to round that up that’s a pretty good souvenir.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone know what’s going down in Dotonbori tonight? Police every where and much of it shut down.

Edit - Tigers?

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 20, 2023

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Kaddish posted:

Anyone know what’s going down in Dotonbori tonight? Police every where and much of it shut down.

Edit - Tigers?

Baseball.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Kaddish posted:

Edit - Tigers?

If the Tigers win it’s going to go absolutely bugfuck, and you need to get out there and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Gabriel Grub posted:

If the Tigers win it’s going to go absolutely bugfuck, and you need to get out there and report back.

We can’t even get down to the canal areas right now, it’s all cordoned off.